Respect is what makes our forum work

kskboys

Reaction score
The simple examples are too easy. It is the gray areas wherein lies the can of worms. What one person finds as a joke can be insulting to another person. I will give you one example which I found quite funny today. Someone started a thread about a player and another person responded with a facetious (I am guessing because I can never know true intent) response like 'Great thread, Bro.' It put a smile on my face because I know these two people from their posts and it makes the site interesting. It is that playful banter. Now one person could see that response as disrespectful (I am sure this person did not in this case), just using it as an example. Good luck trying to police thought and intention.

I can just as easily attack, insult, and disrespect someone using back-handed compliments and being facetious. We all can. And sometimes it sure is funny. Now, some people can take things too far. What is too much and what is too far is the big question. We all know it when we see it.

Growing up as a kid while watching The Jeffersons, I always wanted George to fire that maid since I thought she was insulting the boss and being disrespectful. Now, I find it absolutely hilarious and the show would have been not funny without her the way she was. I worry that we may take away some of that playful back and forth.

I actually find the terms such as 'Dak-lovers,' 'Cult of Dak,' 'Zeke fanboy,' 'Jerry Lover/Hater' as funny. Maybe some don't. I find George Carlin funny. Some don't.

My cousin was overweight. A cousin-in-law told him one day that he was fat. They were very good friends. My cousin was initially hurt by the remark and felt insulted. He thought about it, truly looked at himself, and said, 'yeah, he's right. I am fat and need to lose weight.' He lost weight and thanked him later for telling him the truth and providing incentive. Negative feedback can lead to a positive outcome. In a similar manner, I appreciate all the feedback, more so the negative than the positive. The negative humbles me and tells me how I can approve. The positive can just inflate ego if allowed.

Basically, no one here can truly insult me (try as they may) or disrespect me because my filter does not allow for that. I control what insults me and disrespects me. Now, hurt is a different animal than disrespect and insult.
This is one heckuva good post!!!

Problem is, there are too many insults being bandied about w/o good/funny intent. Gets old.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The simple examples are too easy. It is the gray areas wherein lies the can of worms. What one person finds as a joke can be insulting to another person. I will give you one example which I found quite funny today. Someone started a thread about a player and another person responded with a facetious (I am guessing because I can never know true intent) response like 'Great thread, Bro.' It put a smile on my face because I know these two people from their posts and it makes the site interesting. It is that playful banter. Now one person could see that response as disrespectful (I am sure this person did not in this case), just using it as an example. Good luck trying to police thought and intention.

I can just as easily attack, insult, and disrespect someone using back-handed compliments and being facetious. We all can. And sometimes it sure is funny. Now, some people can take things too far. What is too much and what is too far is the big question. We all know it when we see it.

Growing up as a kid while watching The Jeffersons, I always wanted George to fire that maid since I thought she was insulting the boss and being disrespectful. Now, I find it absolutely hilarious and the show would have been not funny without her the way she was. I worry that we may take away some of that playful back and forth.

I actually find the terms such as 'Dak-lovers,' 'Cult of Dak,' 'Zeke fanboy,' 'Jerry Lover/Hater' as funny. Maybe some don't. I find George Carlin funny. Some don't.

My cousin was overweight. A cousin-in-law told him one day that he was fat. They were very good friends. My cousin was initially hurt by the remark and felt insulted. He thought about it, truly looked at himself, and said, 'yeah, he's right. I am fat and need to lose weight.' He lost weight and thanked him later for telling him the truth and providing incentive. Negative feedback can lead to a positive outcome. In a similar manner, I appreciate all the feedback, more so the negative than the positive. The negative humbles me and tells me how I can approve. The positive can just inflate ego if allowed.

Basically, no one here can truly insult me (try as they may) or disrespect me because my filter does not allow for that. I control what insults me and disrespects me. Now, hurt is a different animal than disrespect and insult.
Appreciate the thoughts. It can be hard to tell sometimes to differentiate between insults and sarcasm. None of this is an exact science and none are perfect at judging it.

Which is why I use the word “respect” so much. Respect doesn’t have to mean agreement or necessarily mean liking someone as a person. It simply means we all agree to give each other some common respect-agree or disagree. We can all respect each other as fans. Trying to lay down an exact science to this stuff is not possible. Most people know what respect means.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst part of this is that I can't stand by and just enjoy a slap fest any longer. I really used to like watching one forming and waiting to see how far it was going to go. Sometimes it was really funny watching guys on a tough testosterone driven site getting wounded by words and there is a certain amount of baiting that goes on here as it did on the old DC.com site. I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a cat drop a load in another's litter box and just wait to see what happens.

But the best part is to see how seriously some take this, it never fails to entertain me when some poster takes on another over a player neither has ever met. The Romo stuff was a lot of fun. He was either family or had taken some poster's woman and then we get to follow that up with Prescott.

So with that in mind, here's a gift.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Zone could use more @Bobhaze '. I've seen him bashed, harrassed & called names. Bob kept his cool at all times. Nothing but class.

Some accidentally misspell names/words & right away the forum cops come out to judge that person's grammar as if they have never done the same.

Tiny keyboards is the main culprit & younger members is the other. Nobody's "stupid, a jerk, idiot, clown" more than the person making those accusations. Keep those comments to yourself because it doesn't make you look better.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yes, using juvenile, immature terms to label someone who you disagree with is in fact name calling.

Sorry, but calling someone a ‘hater’ is not name calling. There are people here who are Jerry-haters, Dak-haters, Dak-lovers, those with DDS-Dak Derangement Syndrome, JDS-Jerry Derangement Syndrome, Zeke-haters/lovers, etc. Even a few Garrett-lovers, strange as that may be.

If someone calls you a hater or lover or whatever, laugh about it, have fun with it, wear it proudly if it suits you.

If it bugs one so much and one’s power of self-ignore is not strong enough, there is the ignore button. Control what you can control - yourself, not other people.

Like I said in previous posts, I like the negative feedback and the sometimes salty and witty comments.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. No one here has any sticks or stones but some people seem to still live in their imaginary glass houses.

Someone put ‘numbnuts’ in as my name. There is a story behind that. It is hilarious. I love it and wouldn’t change it. Every time I notice it, I smile. Have some fun. Life’s better that way.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes, using juvenile, immature terms to label someone who you disagree with is in fact name calling.

Oh GROW UP. If the shoe fits....just because you disagree with someone doesn't make you a hater....let me spell it out for you....

If you came on a forum and said "Tony Romo sucks"....you are a hater.

The correct approach would be "Tony Romo sucks because......." and list your reasons why. But see example 1 is just what a troll would do. They make these one sentence statements to rile up forum members on the board because they get off on it.

So if calling a hater a "hater" is namecalling then I suggest you grow up because you could be called far worse.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sorry, but calling someone a ‘hater’ is not name calling. There are people here who are Jerry-haters, Dak-haters, Dak-lovers, those with DDS-Dak Derangement Syndrome, JDS-Jerry Derangement Syndrome, Zeke-haters/lovers, etc. Even a few Garrett-lovers, strange as that may be.

If someone calls you a hater or lover or whatever, laugh about it, have fun with it, wear it proudly if it suits you.

If it bugs one so much and one’s power of self-ignore is not strong enough, there is the ignore button. Control what you can control - yourself, not other people.

Like I said in previous posts, I like the negative feedback and the sometimes salty and witty comments.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. No one here has any sticks or stones but some people seem to still live in their imaginary glass houses.

Someone put ‘numbnuts’ in as my name. There is a story behind that. It is hilarious. I love it and wouldn’t change it. Every time I notice it, I smile. Have some fun. Life’s better that way.

Exactly. I find it funny that the same people who have a problem with being called "hater" are the same ones who use terms like "Dak lover" and "Romosexual"........that's not namecalling but "hater" is....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Zone could use more @Bobhaze '. I've seen him bashed, harrassed & called names. Bob kept his cool at all times. Nothing but class.

Some accidentally misspell names/words & right away the forum cops come out to judge that person's grammar as if they have never done the same.

Tiny keyboards is the main culprit & younger members is the other. Nobody's "stupid, a jerk, idiot, clown" more than the person making those accusations. Keep those comments to yourself because it doesn't make you look better.
I mean with all due respect to Bob he should not have to be "Cool" because some grown men can't make a point or defend their point without resorting to attacking him...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the best part is to see how seriously some take this, it never fails to entertain me when some poster takes on another over a player neither has ever met. The Romo stuff was a lot of fun. He was either family or had taken some poster's woman and then we get to follow that up with Prescott.
^ Bold :hammer:

What is 'crazier' is that one overly critical group for one quarterback thinks it is somehow different philosophically from the other overly critical group for the other quarterback. Same nonsense from opposite sides of a single coin.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So calling a hater a “hater” is name calling? I thought we were all adults here?
I guess that depends on whether the person you're saying it to thinks of himself as a hater. If so, then no, it's not name calling.