Robert Quinn to visit Cowboys

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't see trading for Quinn and trading away Lawrence as progress, if that's what you are suggesting. That would be stupid IMO.

You seem to be changing the framing of the issue involved to suit what you want to happen. I'm discussing what options are available without taking a side on what I think is best. There are advantages to both, and the biggest factor in that is cost of Tank's proposed extension.

Many of us wanted to keep DeMarco Murray as well, but the team put a hard line in the sand and made him an offer and then moved on. In hindsight the team probably made the right call.

I don't think anyone one this board has said they don't want Tank on the team per se. However the cost of Tank's contract MUST be considered as much as the "football decision" about the composition of the team.

If the team has made the business decision to move on from Tank this is a prudent move to see what the alternatives are. Whether it is "stupid" or not depends on what yard stick you are using to evaluate the situation.

Getting rid of Tank in a vacuum would probably be "stupid". But this is the real world, not the land of unicorns and rainbows. At some point paying Tank an outrageous amount of money becomes more "stupid" than moving on from him.

I will grant you that there is a grey area where the efficacy of the contract is in the eye of the beholder, but you can't separate the football decision from the business (cap decision).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be a dumb thing to do since no one they bring in will be as impactful as he was last year.
I referring to putting pressure on DLaw to agree to a contract, NOT actually replacing him.

Verdict

Reaction score
You could see it coming from two seasons how? Lawrence has done everything he was suppose to do. Him and his agent are negotiating. That's not fault of his.

You have the right to your opinion, but that is an incredibly naive view of the situation. The Cowboys are also negotiating and it's not their fault either. Lol

This is a business decision on the part of both parties.

DRella

Reaction score
If Tank is asking for Mack money I think that is crazy. He is not worth a penny over what Dee Ford just signed for. Simple

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You have the right to your opinion, but that is an incredibly naive view of the situation. The Cowboys are also negotiating and it's not their fault either. Lol

This is a business decision on the part of both parties.
I agree. I'm not blaming the Cowboys. I'm just disagreeing with it being Lawrence's fault because he hasn't caved in. As if he's being a bad teammate. Its a business. I'm not for players suffering in favor of fans and owners.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hey, just as an aside, if Will McClay is so super awesome and stuff, why would the team have to make this trade after recently investing a 1st and 4th round pick on a DE? How many draft picks do we have to throw at a bookend for Lawrence before we hit on something?

I am not 100% sure on this, and maybe somebody has already commented but, I believe that the Scouting Department and the Position Coaches wanted TJ Watt. Jerry and Stephen and perhaps Garrett wanted Taco.

DRella

Reaction score
He's better than Dee Ford. Dee Ford was a one year wonder.

Some can argue Lawrence as well only had 1 year above average. The other seasons including last season he was top 10 but that's it

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
More "because why" we could get him without giving up a pick and sign him to a better deal most likely as opposed to taking half of the ridiculous contract he has now and giving up a pick...

That's not a guarantee. Recent history has shown that we don't really outbid other teams in situations like this. We usually find ourselves "Liking What We Got" and not getting the target player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't see trading for Quinn and trading away Lawrence as progress, if that's what you are suggesting. That would be stupid IMO.

If Lawrence won't settle for a contract and demands top Dollar and won't play on the tag, what other choice do you have? Paying him whatever he wants is not a wise decision IMO so if that is the answer, then we are asking the wrong questions here.

JMO

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
6.5 and 8.5 sacks his last two years. This is a perfect candidate for, “Situational Pass Rusher” meaning since he’s getting long in the tooth, you get more from him with less reps...

We need someone like this...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You could see it coming from two seasons how? Lawrence has done everything he was suppose to do. Him and his agent are negotiating. That's not fault of his.

He has commented and made know, through actions, that he wants to get paid. He also has a history of not getting injuries addressed in the Off Season. This isn't the first time but that's a different discussion.

There are two sides to this. One is him and his agent negotiating. The other is the Team negotiating and the truth is, Lawrence doesn't have a choice. If he doesn't want to sign the tag, then if he gets moved, that's on him. The team should not pay him top dollar and that's just how I see it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Lawrence won't settle for a contract and demands top Dollar and won't play on the tag, what other choice do you have? Paying him whatever he wants is not a wise decision IMO so if that is the answer, then we are asking the wrong questions here.

JMO

No reason for what-ifs yet. There's plenty of time to come to an agreement on a deal. If he and the team are too far apart, then the tag will lock in and he'll either hold out or he'll play. Ask me the question again when we get to that point.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
That's not a guarantee. Recent history has shown that we don't really outbid other teams in situations like this. We usually find ourselves "Liking What We Got" and not getting the target player.
If Quinn wants to be a cowboy, he will be here. If he wants to chase after money, he wont be, but methinks his stock has dropped far enough in the last couple years where he wont be getting any big time offers from anyone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is probably the reason why a trade is so unlikely.

This is a very deep draft, including high end talent. If I'm drafting in the top 15 and I need a pass rusher, I would draft one of those top guys and pay him rookie money rather than trade for someone who wants Khalil Mack money without Khalil Mack performance.

I never said it had to be top 15. This draft is deep into the third round at Edge Rushers and has quality all the way into the 5th at DL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No reason for what-ifs yet. There's plenty of time to come to an agreement on a deal. If he and the team are too far apart, then the tag will lock in and he'll either hold out or he'll play. Ask me the question again when we get to that point.

I didn't start the what ifs, I'm just quoting what the "Negotiations" have stipulated. They have said that they aren't negotiating and that Lawrence won't play on the tag.