Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning?

ringmaster

Reaction score
perrykemp;3809056 said:
Witten is the man, although I wouldn't discount Finley as a potentially great TE -- he was on pace to break the NFL single season record for recieving yardage by a TE when he got hurt. Of course its was a small sampling -- just 4 games.
I think the Pack would've been even more dangerous with Finely in these playoffs if he was healthy with the way Rodgers is playing that would've been scary.

Stautner

Reaction score
perrykemp;3809833 said:
Ok - I may be dating myself here -- but there was a time where Favre was a god among mere mortals in pure QB play. Check out his 94, 95, 96, and 97 Stats.

TDS/Ints

1994: 33/14
1995: 38/13
1996: 39/13
1997: 35/15

He won 3 MVPs in that stretch, passed for 4000+ yards on average and quite simply, at that stage of his career, was shaping up to be the best QB in NFL history.

He wasn't throwing back-breaking interceptions regulary either.

Did I mention he was incredibly gifted at avoid the rush and shaking off defenders?

Just saying -- after Holmgren left he was never the same guy --- but for a period of time I'm not sure I ever saw better QB play.

I think a lot of fans (younger fans particularly) have been numbed by the stats Manning and Brady have put up in recent years, and have forgotten what others have done in the past. It's an elite group to be sure, but Manning and Brady aren't all alone in history. Heck, Favre was as good or better than either just last year, but I think many passed that off as a fluke without regard to what he has done at points in his career.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
perrykemp;3809833 said:
Ok - I may be dating myself here -- but there was a time where Favre was a god among mere mortals in pure QB play. Check out his 94, 95, 96, and 97 Stats.

TDS/Ints

1994: 33/14
1995: 38/13
1996: 39/13
1997: 35/15

He won 3 MVPs in that stretch, passed for 4000+ yards on average and quite simply, at that stage of his career, was shaping up to be the best QB in NFL history.

He wasn't throwing back-breaking interceptions regulary either.

Did I mention he was incredibly gifted at avoid the rush and shaking off defenders?

Just saying -- after Holmgren left he was never the same guy --- but for a period of time I'm not sure I ever saw better QB play.

Favre was being out dueled by Aikman during some of those years and was showed up by Elway in one of his two SB appearances.

Favre had 15 lost fumbles from 94-97. No question the guy was an exciting player but he had almost as many bad plays as great plays.

The only SB he won was against Bledsoe another turnover prone QB who tossed 4 int's. Favre has the all time record for TD's, fumbles and int's.

There's been several QB's who were better than Favre but his huge record breaking numbers and sensational plays have trumped all his bonehead plays in some fans minds regardless that some of his poor decisions knocked his teams from the playoffs on several occasions.

I think Favre is one of the most overrated players in NFL history. He's choked far too many times in critical situations to be as great as some fans think he is.

He's great because he never missed games, he put up huge career numbers and he had some amazing regular season performances.

With the staggering numbers he put up his teams should have won several championships but it was mostly his turnovers that kept his teams from advancing.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RCowboyFan;3806401 said:
Yep, I guess that is true, with those stats. He certainly does run more than Romo.

But personally, only thing that really Rodgers has above Romo is age. He is about 4 years Younger than Romo? So he has much bigger window.

Meanwhile, Sanchez is 4-1 in playoffs..... and we are here talking about how great Rodgers is... And its not like Jets are winning inspite of Sanchez either.

:popcorn:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ringmaster;3809856 said:
Rodgers, has definitely improved as a QB, and I agree he can lead the Pack to more SBs than Farve ever did.

Aaron Rodgers, has played against the Eagles, and the Falcons defenses in these playoffs those defenses weren't exactly top notch the Bears oth has a pretty good defense and they and the Pack are division rivals so I expect this to be a good game.

Until Aaron Rodgers win a SB, he won't be on that level Aikman is and I don't care about stats right now and yes Rodgers is a better athlete than Aikman was and he is not as accurate as Aikman so trying to compare completion percentages to entirely two different QBs are a weak attempt imo.

I'm not saying Rodgers is currently at the level that Aikman is I simply pointed out that his numbers are better than Aikman's at this stage in his career.

He definitely has the potential to be better than Aikman but he has to earn some rings first.

Rodgers is right on par with Aikman's accuracy and may be slightly more accurate it's certainly debatable.

Troy only had one season with a higher completion percentage than Rogers had this season.

Troy never had a playoff game where he completed more than 80% of his passes like Rodgers did last week.

ringmaster

Reaction score
KJJ;3809952 said:
I'm not saying Rodgers is currently at the level that Aikman is I simply pointed out that his numbers are better than Aikman's at this stage in his career.

He definitely has the potential to be better than Aikman but he has to earn some rings first.

Rodgers is right on par with Aikman's accuracy and may be slightly more accurate it's certainly debatable.

Troy only had one season with a higher completion percentage than Rogers had this season.

Troy never had a playoff game where he completed more than 80% of his passes like Rodgers did last week.
Your opinion is your opinion but that didn't stop him from winning those 3 SBs either regardless of how great you think Rodgers is.

Like I said before I like Rodgers, and he defintely has improved as a QB and he will blow Farve out of the water when he's done as the Packers QB winning numerous SBs guarantee you this with the ground game the Pack has Rodgers, would be doing backflips if he had an Emmitt Smith to hand the ball off to.

Rodgers does have a great shot of leading the Packers to Arlington for Super Bowl 45, but it won't be an easy feat against the rival Bears, this game won't be as easy for Rodgers as it was against the Falcons but the guy is on his way to being the best Packers QB of all time if he keeps this up.

Stautner

Reaction score
KJJ;3809952 said:

Of course Troy's value as a QB has never been measured by stats. He was accurate, and had a high completion percentage, but he was never a big yardage or high TD total guy. His numbers were very average in those areas. His leadership and command of the offense was his biggest strength, and the Super Bowls were the confirmation of those traits.

ringmaster;3809980 said:
Your opinion is your opinion but that didn't stop him from winning those 3 SBs either regardless of how great you think Rodgers is.

Like I said before I like Rodgers, and he defintely has improved as a QB and he will blow Farve out of the water when he's done as the Packers QB winning numerous SBs guarantee you this with the ground game the Pack has Rodgers, would be doing backflips if he had an Emmitt Smith to hand the ball off to.

Rodgers does have a great shot of leading the Packers to Arlington for Super Bowl 45, but it won't be an easy feat against the rival Bears, this game won't be as easy for Rodgers as it was against the Falcons but the guy is on his way to being the best Packers QB of all time if he keeps this up.

It's WAYYYYYYY premature to say Rodgers will blow Favre away when it's all over. Peyton Manning hasn't even done that. I would rate Manning as a better QB than Favre, but no way has he "blown him away".

I think Rodgers is a great QB, and honestly if I were starting a team and could have my pick of QB's I would take Rodgers based on talent and age. But lets not get carried away when he is just 3 years into his time as a starting NFL QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ringmaster;3809980 said:

I'm not knocking Aikman he was a great QB I'm just saying I think Rodgers may be slightly more accurate than he was.

That's saying a lot because Aikman was extremely accurate.

Even Troy is a huge fan of Rodgers. The impressive thing about Rodgers is he throws the ball a lot and still maintains his efficiency.

Having Emmitt took some pressure off Troy and Rodgers doesn't have the luxury of a dynamic back like Emmitt Smith.

Again this isn't a knock on Troy but Rodgers does have a lot more on his shoulders than Aikman did because everything the Packers do on offense revolves around Rodgers ability to pass the ball efficiently.

Rodgers carry's that offense and he lost one of his best weapons in Jermichael Finely earlier in the season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stautner;3810016 said:
Of course Troy's value as a QB has never been measured by stats. He was accurate, and had a high completion percentage, but he was never a big yardage or high TD total guy. His numbers were very average in those areas. His leadership and command of the offense was his biggest strength, and the Super Bowls were the confirmation of those traits.

Back in the 90's the Cowboys offense revolved around Emmitt and the running game this is why Aikman doesn't have the big passing numbers or TD totals.

perrykemp

Reaction score
KJJ;3809927 said:
Favre was being out dueled by Aikman during some of those years and was showed up by Elway in one of his two SB appearances.

Favre had 15 lost fumbles from 94-97. No question the guy was an exciting player but he had almost as many bad plays as great plays.

Aikman had 19 fumbles from 94-97 -- ie more than Favre. They had the same number of interceptions and Favre had twice the number of touchdowns.

They didn't hand Favre 3 MVPs in the row for nothing -- he was amazing in that time period -- especially considering he didn't have any other hall-of-Famers or anybody who has the potential to be in the hall-of-Fame playing with him.

I'm not saying he didn't threw an incredible number of back-breaking interceptions later in his career after Holmgren left... he did, but anybody who thinks Favre didn't have one of the most amazing 3-4 spans in NFL history is crazy.

perrykemp

Reaction score
KJJ;3809927 said:

Check Elway's stats from Superbowl 32 -- he pretty much sucked. 12/22, 123 yards, 0 TDS, 1 Int. He certainly didn't outduel Favre. Terrell Davis carried the day for the Broncos.

Stautner

Reaction score
KJJ;3810026 said:
Back in the 90's the Cowboys offense revolved around Emmitt and the running game this is why Aikman doesn't have the big passing numbers or TD totals.

I understand that it wasn't a bigtime passing offense, but the fact remains that the stats aren't there to measure him by, and he can't be measured by the assumption that he would have put up bigger stats in a different offense. An opposing argument could actually be made that without Emmitt getting so much of the attention from the defense Aikmen wouldn't have been as effective. I'm not saying that is accurate, but I'm saying that what if's don't factor into how Aikman is measured as a QB. It still comes down to intangibles and team success as moer than stats.

ringmaster

Reaction score
KJJ;3810022 said:
I'm not knocking Aikman he was a great QB I'm just saying I think Rodgers may be slightly more accurate than he was.

Even Troy is a huge fan of Rodgers. The impressive thing about Rodgers is he throws the ball a lot and still maintains his efficiency.

Having Emmitt took some pressure off Troy and Rodgers doesn't have the luxury of a dynamic back like Emmitt Smith.

Again this isn't a knock on Troy but Rodgers does have a lot more on his shoulders than Aikman did because everything the Packers do on offense revolves around Rodgers ability to pass the ball efficiently.

Rodgers carry's that offense and he lost one of his best weapons in Jermichael Finely earlier in the season.
That is what I was referring to Rodgers doesn't have a Emmitt Smith, in the backfield if he did this Pack offense would be even more explosive than it already is.

Stautner

Reaction score
KJJ;3810022 said:

I don't think anyone in history has been anyomore accurate than Aikman on short to mid range routes. Aikman did not have great accuracy throwing deep though. One of the reasons that Alvin Harper was so valuable is that Aikman could throw up a deep ball, and even if it weren't on target Harper could outjump DB's to either catch it or knock it away so it wouldn't be picked off.

perrykemp

Reaction score
ringmaster;3810040 said:
That is what I was referring to Rodgers doesn't have a Emmitt Smith, in the backfield if he did this Pack offense would be even more explosive than it already is.

I'll agree with you on this -- if Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley are playing today (not on IR) this team would be beyond scary.

On the other hand, would James Jones and Jordy Nelson emerged this season if Finley was still out there?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
perrykemp;3810031 said:
Aikman had 19 fumbles from 94-97 -- ie more than Favre. They had the same number of interceptions and Favre had twice the number of touchdowns.

They didn't hand Favre 3 MVPs in the row for nothing -- he was amazing in that time period -- especially considering he didn't have any other hall-of-Famers or anybody who has the potential to be in the hall-of-Fame playing with him.

I'm not saying he didn't threw an incredible number of back-breaking interceptions later in his career after Holmgren left... he did, but anybody who thinks Favre didn't have one of the most amazing 3-4 spans in NFL history is crazy.

Troy "lost" 14 fumbles from 94-97 and Favre lost 15 fumbles during that period. Aikman had 44 int's from 94-97 and Favre had 56 int's during that period.

It's not always how many turnovers a player has it's when they occur and Favres turnovers have been far more costly than Aikman's turnovers.

Favre gave the Packer fans many thrills through the years but he also broke their hearts a lot. I've never seen a great player who's had as many bad plays as Brett Favre.

Reaction score
Green Bay has been the media darling for eons so it's no surprise to see the media kissing arse and the officials looking the other way away as their OL and DBs hold like maniacs.

That said, Rodgers has a strong and very accurate arm and a nice deep ball,,, he's a pure passer and his skills stand out so I would expect the sports media to fawn all over him and rightfully so.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
perrykemp;3810035 said:
Check Elway's stats from Superbowl 32 -- he pretty much sucked. 12/22, 123 yards, 0 TDS, 1 Int. He certainly didn't outduel Favre. Terrell Davis carried the day for the Broncos.

Regardless of his stats the fact is Elway's Broncos won that game so no matter how you look at it he out dueled Favre.

The most memorable play from that SB was Elway's helicopter hurdle to pick up a critical first down.

Who cares if Favres stats were better his team lost and that's been the case in a lot of big games that Favre has been in.

It's making plays that helps your team WIN that matters. The numbers don't mean crap if you lose.

ringmaster

Reaction score
perrykemp;3810045 said:
I'll agree with you on this -- if Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley are playing today (not on IR) this team would be beyond scary.

On the other hand, would James Jones and Jordy Nelson emerged this season if Finley was still out there?
If Finley was healthy then Jones, and Nelson would've had limited opportunities in the passing game but their impacts would've been the same though in regards to big plays.

Having a threat at TE would do that for you look at how Miles Austin, blew up last season it was because Witten got so much attention from defenses it's a pick your poison type deal that we all know so much about.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Terrible game by Rodgers down the stretch. They won in spite of him> Just to keep the record straight. Blown 3rd and 1's with some bad passes and the pick to Urlacher at the gaol line!