Twitter: Roger Goodell wants to permanently ban the tush push

Fontaine

Reaction score
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I feel teams should be able to stop it. But if someone gets hurt doing it then it should be banned.
My understanding is defensive players can’t push or use other players for leverage. This begs the question why should offensive players be allowed to do it during the “tush push”?

Illegal on both sides of the ball, as it should be.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am curious how they can ban this play? If they ban pushing and offensive player forward it effects more than just the Tush Push play. We see offensive linemen shoving the pile forward on a lot of plays including scoring plays. It will be difficult to judge because on those latter plays the offensive linemen are allow to push tacklers (block) even if the runner is going forward too. One note on that is many times blockers are pushing defenders from behind which shouuld be a penalty.

If the play is banned because the Eagles are so successful running it, I am against the ban. If it is for safety reasons, then I can't disagree with the ban.

I still think when Jason Kelce retires, the Eagles success with that play will fall off. He is so quick snapping and moving forward he makes the play work. I honestly don't think a regular QB sneak would be any less effective for the Eagles for the same reason.

exciter

Reaction score
Does Roger has the ability to add game rules? Ultimately it is what the owners want and not Roger.
And when has he not gotten what he wants?
That said, it one of the few times he’s been correct. It’s not a football play!

Beaker42

Reaction score
So now we will get the precedent of banning plays because a team perfects them for a brief moment in time.

I'm sure this won't come back to bite Dallas in the butt in the future.

Be careful what you wish for...
Nope. Not even close to hitting the mark. That play is trash and l can’t wait for it to be gone.

Screw the Brotherly Shove and the team/city.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So now we will get the precedent of banning plays because a team perfects them for a brief moment in time.

I'm sure this won't come back to bite Dallas in the butt in the future.

Be careful what you wish for...
Im not sure they can totally ban it, more like "once your feet leave the ground you cant get carried forward" maybe.. hell look at rub routes everyone knows the intent yet they dont call it half the time.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Ur the 1st person I've seen adress the bigger picture here...because EVERY team pushes ball carriers down the field when they are stood up by defenders in the open field.

But here's one: what if 1 defender meets 1 ball carriers in the open field and they "lock horns". Offensive players as you mentioned won't be able to come and push the ball carrier from behind further down the field. BUT...what about further defenders? Will they be able to "gang tackle" one guy, as is the case now, and use the force or 2, 3, 4 guys to drive 1 guy back? That doesn't seem fair either! And I HAVE seen dudes get hurt because they were gangle tackled.

This is a very slippery slope we're on.....
They used blow forward progress pretty quick once a couple defenders joined the pile. Recently they’ve been a little more lax with it waiting for offensive push. And changing that would stop those low skill plays from continuing.

ICP

Reaction score
Wow, you mean I actually agree with that clown on something?!?

Fmart322

Reaction score
I'm all for the tushy pushy but allow defense the same option.

J-man

Reaction score
https: //bleacherreport.com/articles/10099549-nfls-roger-goodell-reportedly-wants-eagles-tush-push-banned-permanently
I'm all for banning it. But it is a slippery slope. IMO, it's going to be hard to do. You can't simply just ban all pushing from behind, how many times have we all seen RBs getting pushed a couple extra yards to get a first down and/or a TD?
Not sure what the answer is but I don't like the play so NFL figure it out.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There are two powerful groups within ownership. There is the old guard northeast owners like the Maras and the Rooneys who stick together and then there is a new guard led by our very own Jones.

Either party wants or doesn't want something over Roger and he loses.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The National Football League is played in the United States. The National Rugby League plays in Australia and New Zealand. Essentially, the tush push is an adopted form of rugby play. Which sport will be poached next to 'better' North American style football? Soccer?

The quarterback sneak has been a part of football for many decades. It is definitely not 100% safe for players but I would say it is safer than the tush push.

Football is a copycat sport. When will the proliferation of the tush push begin filtering down to the college and high school levels? Will coaches begin evaluating players who can squat x-amount of pounds and have a decent enough arm? How soon will more coaches mirror Jets' head coach Robert Saleh describing opposing quarterbacks (e.g. Jalen Hurts) as, "wearing a bulletproof vest when you look at him, he's got all that padding on?" Will a significant tush push related injury cause anyone to stop and re-evaluate its use?

I do not know. Perhaps Roger Goodell can make an argument with the owners using a player safety angle. And as everyone already knows, the NFL is ALL about player safety. :rolleyes:

exciter

Reaction score
There are two powerful groups within ownership. There is the old guard northeast owners like the Maras and the Rooneys who stick together and then there is a new guard led by our very own Jones.

Either party wants or doesn't want something over Roger and he loses.
They gave the idiot 200m… they’ll give him a rule banning a scrum and not blink!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That being said Mara and Goodell both live/work in NY and have acted in unison before.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I'm all for banning it. But it is a slippery slope. IMO, it's going to be hard to do. You can't simply just ban all pushing from behind, how many times have we all seen RBs getting pushed a couple extra yards to get a first down and/or a TD?
Not sure what the answer is but I don't like the play so NFL figure it out.
Then it would be a penalty also. Teams would simply need to stop doing it. That a recipe for injuries anyway, especially to the RB. He’s being held up by multiple defenders and some 300+ lb OL just barrels into the pile for and extra few yards. It used to be illegal, just bring back the rule and enforce it. No assisting the ball carrier by either pushing or pulling.

J-man

Reaction score
Then it would be a penalty also. Teams would simply need to stop doing it. That a recipe for injuries anyway, especially to the RB. He’s being held up by multiple defenders and some 300+ lb OL just barrels into the pile for and extra few yards. It used to be illegal, just bring back the rule and enforce it. No assisting the ball carrier by either pushing or pulling.
that maybe the only answer, but I don't like it
I'm sure that sounds contradicting, but I want what I want lol!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
that maybe the only answer, but I don't like it
I'm sure that sounds contradicting, but I want what I want lol!
The OL would have to make sure he hits a defender first to move the whole pile and doesn’t just push his RB forward by plowing into his back.

kskboys

Reaction score
What he wants? You mean what the owners want. Gooddell is the crash test dummy for the owners. He is under their strict control. He does what he is asked to do.