Romo and Dak are 7th and 8th best in Career Adjusted EPA 1999-2023

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t believe we would have had a better chance had we re-inserted him later in the season because Dak and the team was playing so well. We were in the middle of an 11 game winning streak which ended up being a franchise record. We beat Green Bay and Pittsburgh on the road. That team had become Dak’s team and he was a hot hand. Romo would have likely been rusty had we put him back in the lineup later and it would’ve disrupted the flow we had going. Dak played a real good game against Green Bay in the playoffs but once again like in 2014 our defense couldn’t stop Aaron Rodgers with the game on the line. Had we put Romo back into the lineup during that season and we ended up going one and done again the fan base would’ve been livid that we didn’t stay with Dak. There would’ve been a lot of regret of what could’ve been had we stayed with him.
Didnt look too rusty to me on his final drive.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Only the stupidly managed Cowboys make a decision based on hot streaks (all of them come to an end so better sooner than later) and messing up team chemistry whatever that even means. You play the better player period, and by all accounts Romo was “owning” Dak in practice when he was healthy as would be expected. The response to that was, well Dak is doing fine on game day, but there were two games where he played badly and the team still won which I believe were road games against the Vikings and Giants. Like I’ve said a zillion times, it was never about how good the team was, it was about whether they could be even better. It’s improbable to expect a rookie QB to win a SB, and it was illogical to make Dak the center point of success for the team since he was the definition a bus driver.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Only the stupidly managed Cowboys make a decision based on hot streaks (all of them come to an end so better sooner than later) and messing up team chemistry whatever that even means. You play the better player period, and by all accounts Romo was “owning” Dak in practice when he was healthy as would be expected. The response to that was, well Dak is doing fine on game day, but there were two games where he played badly and the team still won which I believe were road games against the Vikings and Giants. Like I’ve said a zillion times, it was never about how good the team was, it was about whether they could be even better. It’s improbable to expect a rookie QB to win a SB, and it was illogical to make Dak the center point of success for the team since he was the definition a bus driver.
Jethro and company took the easy way out and got what they deserved.
Fact is to this day no Rookie QB has ever made it to the SB. there is a reason for that.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Note this also includes postseason game stats .......interesting

This IMO is our postseason problem(s) in a nutshell..........the draft alone WILL NOT get you pass "hanging around the rim"

https://www.golongtd.com/p/what-in-the-hell-are-the-dallas-cowboys

This is a perfect time to check back in with those on staff who helped explain Jerry’s World in our 2021 three-part series. Problems outlined then have only lingered, and it’s a shame. Prime opportunities at the Super Bowl fade away.

“It is crazy what’s going on,” one former Cowboys personnel says, “and it doesn’t ever really change.”

A failure to grasp the quarterback market. A resistance to spend money on veterans who can swiftly close that title gap. A failure to re-sign their own at the right time. And, sadly, even tales of Jerry Jones’ raunchy sexual escapades.

It all continues, year to year, and the Dallas Cowboys only burgeon their own reputation as the NFL’s preeminent underachievers.

I have a problem with Brady being forth on that list. Makes me question its methodology.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
These are the total defense rankings for each year Dak or Tony was the starting QB according to Pro Football Reference:

Dak

2023 5
2022 6
2021 7
2020 28
2019 11
2018 6
2017 13
2016 5

Tony

2015 16
2014 15
2013 26
2012 24
2011 16
2010 31
2009 2
2008 20
2007 23
2006 20
Here’s a good example of how statistics are misleading. Dallas run defense was like a wet paper bag last year. You can’t win in the playoffs with a wet paper bag defense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How so? You mean dropped passes? Fumbles at the goal line? Choked how? I certainly dont recall 2 ints for 14 easy points in the 1st half against 7 seed at home.
….and SteveTheCowboy rounds the final turn in 10th place but moving up fast on the Dak Haters leaderboard!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2016 may be one of the zaniest seasons during the Jerry Jones/post-Jimmy Johnson era. The mass 'team chemistry' euphoria documented a significant number of fans, NFL commentators and sports talking heads all agreeing with Jones and Jason Garrett. Typically, the atypical thinking revolves around Jones inner circle. That year, it engulfed a good swath of NFL followers altogether.

True championship contending seasons are fleeting for teams in any sport. 2016 will always remain one of the weirdest examples I witnessed in my entire life.

starfan1

Reaction score
He really didn’t do that much save one pass to Williams that was the McFadden drive he did most of the heavy lifting but he did throw a TD pass so I guess revisionist history is fun but I know we’ve had that conversation before

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Here’s a good example of how statistics are misleading. Dallas run defense was like a wet paper bag last year. You can’t win in the playoffs with a wet paper bag defense.
I can concede you that if you concede Dak‘s “runner up MVP” season based on stats was against the sum total of the worst pass defense in the league (32nd). Otherwise, it is the epitome of irony.

Regardless, those team rankings were to show how awful on average Romo’s defenses were throughout his career compared to Dak’s. On average they were in the middle to bottom half. He figuratively had to carry the team over and above JJ’s poor drafting, personnel management, and choices of head coaches.

And everyone who said the 2007 team was really good across the board, the ranking shows it certainly wasn’t on team defense.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And everyone who said the 2007 team was really good across the board, it certainly wasn’t on team defense.
That particular defensive unit, and especially Jacques Reeves, melted against the New York Giants' decisive, long, less than 52-second drive before the NFC Division game's halftime. It was embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as the defensive effort all game against the Green Bay Packers last January but embarrassing nonetheless. Plus, the defensive inability to keep Eli Manning's offense to a field goal or punt was the determining factor of the game before all of the events of the second half took place.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He really didn’t do that much save one pass to Williams that was the McFadden drive he did most of the heavy lifting but he did throw a TD pass so I guess revisionist history is fun but I know we’ve had that conversation before
Doesnt have to do much. Its a team game and he had good command if it.
Least he didnt throw a couple pick 6s.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I can concede you that if you concede Dak‘s “runner up MVP” season based on stats was against the sum total of the worst pass defense in the league (32nd). Otherwise, it is the epitome of irony.

Regardless, those team rankings were to show how awful on average Romo’s defenses were throughout his career compared to Dak’s. On average they were in the middle to bottom half. He figuratively had to carry the team over and above JJ’s poor drafting, personnel management, and choices of head coaches.

And everyone who said the 2007 team was really good across the board, the ranking shows it certainly wasn’t on team defense.
Dak was so good against those teams he put them in the bottom :laugh:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He’s insanely good.

Honestly I think if he doesn’t get hurt. He can pass Brady for GOAT
[/QUOTE.
It’s like every time one of these “this is supposedly how a good QB is measured” stat gets posted Mahomes is not just ahead of everyone else, but usually in a very comfortable lead

gtb1943

Reaction score
It’s like every time one of these “this is supposedly how a good QB is measured” stat gets posted Mahomes is not just ahead of everyone else, but usually in a very comfortable lead
He knows how to make the big plays when it matters most better than any QB that I can ever remember.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don’t believe we would have had a better chance had we re-inserted him later in the season because Dak and the team was playing so well. We were in the middle of an 11 game winning streak which ended up being a franchise record. We beat Green Bay and Pittsburgh on the road. That team had become Dak’s team and he was a hot hand. Romo would have likely been rusty had we put him back in the lineup later and it would’ve disrupted the flow we had going. Dak played a real good game against Green Bay in the playoffs but once again like in 2014 our defense couldn’t stop Aaron Rodgers with the game on the line.

Had we put Romo back into the lineup during that season and we ended up going one and done again the fan base would’ve been livid that we didn’t stay with Dak. There would’ve been a lot of regret of what could’ve been had we stayed with him. Our defense cost us the game in the playoffs and it wouldn’t have been any different regardless who our QB was.
Like I said, I think it took Dak a while to settle in against Green Bay in his first playoff game. He played great in the later stages of the game, but the slow start came back to bite us because the defense did not hold up. I don't know if it would have been any different for a healthy Romo because the loss was ultimately more on the defense than anyone else (and he'd been there before), but I think the Romo we saw in 2014 (his last full season) was a seasoned quarterback who was at the peak of his game. Dak was a rookie and some rookie jitters should have been expected.

Possibly the result would have been the same because we've been doing a poor job of building complete teams around our QBs since back before either Romo or Dak was around.