Romo destination odds

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Does not make as much sense as you would think since they are going to pay Osweiler big money. They cannot afford two QB contracts like that, or at least they shouldn't.

I look right at cap money when wagering where he would go. Chicago is in good shape.

I doubt a team tight against the cap is going to risk it for a player that at best has a two year shelf life going forward. That eliminates the Texans, Broncos, Jets and even Buffalo unless they get real creative and want to really roll the dice thinking he puts them over the top.
Chicago is a good choice as well. He did play college ball there. Their team just isn't as close and I think he wants to win.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Even though I foresee Romo remaining with the team until June 2, I hope that a trade gets worked out long before then. This is possibly a huge offseason story that will hang over the team. An early trade would undercut any attention the story would attract. My question would be which team would be willing to bargain with Dallas early on, say March?
I think you're much more likely to get a 1st or 2nd round pick if you wait until after the draft. This time of the year, draft picks become more valuable and teams are more hesitant to trade them. You could also see a conditional pick with something like a floor of a 3rd, a 2nd for 14 games on the active roster and a 1st for a certain round of the playoffs. That puts teams minds at ease about his health concerns and gives the Cowboys an opportunity to get more value.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I expect Houston.

Sleeper: Jets
Many of those Texans fans get on my nerves.
But if Romo went there, they'd become my distant 2nd favorite team for awhile.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chicago is a good choice as well. He did play college ball there. Their team just isn't as close and I think he wants to win.
I thought Eastern Illinois' campus was located south of Champaign. Or are you referring to Chicago being in the same state as EIU?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think Romo ended all open quarterback competition speculation back on November 15.

He did, for this year anyway. No way, he sits down next year and plays the good solider, if they decide they won't cut him or trade him. He will be saying he is the best QB on the team and should start from the minute OTA begins.. and he would be right. If they decide to keep Romo, they can't expect him to be the good guy he was this year. That is why he will be released. No team is going to offer a good pick because they know he will be released.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I am personally torn on this. I want Romo to go to a contender and enjoy his last few years playing this game. To me, the perfect spot is Houston. But I hate the Texans fans and the thought of them being successful makes me want to puke. so while it is good for Tony, it's bad for me.. maybe he will retire.. but I highly doubt it.

starcity214

Reaction score
The 'act' is old, stale, and inaccurate. The fact is that Prescott put up better overall numbers than Aaron Rodgers did in that game. But that blows his whole 'crusade' to ****, which is what it is.

Stats are for losers... The only stat that mattered is how many points were scored... Keep thinking dak is better than rodgers....Dak with the best oline in the league, elite WR, elite TE, elite if not the best RB in the league got outscored by a guy without his top two WR and no RB.. Oh, and Dak was playing against greenbays practice squad.. But hey, Dak had a better QBR, so he must be better than rodgers.. Smh. You people need to realize how good Dak had it..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be nice but I can't see them parting with him.

Yeah, as I've said, it's a longshot.

But some food for thought. He's under contract for one more year. And then it skyrockets. Either a one-year option at $13 million plus, or a long-term, big-money deal. Given their other big deals, something's gotta give.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am personally torn on this. I want Romo to go to a contender and enjoy his last few years playing this game. To me, the perfect spot is Houston. But I hate the Texans fans and the thought of them being successful makes me want to puke. so while it is good for Tony, it's bad for me.. maybe he will retire.. but I highly doubt it.

I hate the Texans fans too as most of my friends support them. After listening to them rag on Romo for years, it would be sweet justice to see him change their minds in a flash and they would worship him. I bet some would say that they never dogged on him too :muttley:

Of course, it would kill me to watch Romo take them further than he did with us :(

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stats are for losers... The only stat that mattered is how many points were scored... Keep thinking dak is better than rodgers....Dak with the best oline in the league, elite WR, elite TE, elite if not the best RB in the league got outscored by a guy without his top two WR and no RB.. Oh, and Dak was playing against greenbays practice squad.. But hey, Dak had a better QBR, so he must be better than rodgers.. Smh. You people need to realize how good Dak had it..

Nobody ever said otherwise. But don't let that stop you from crying about it.

:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They may indeed eat the money but they can't do it this year and the discussion is about a Romo trade.

And the combined cost would be $33 million for both in 2017. Excessive to be sure, but not insurmountable, especially if they removed Clowney from their books in a trade. They'd save roughly $3 million there, and then $13 million by not having to option Clowney in 2018.

They also have to account for a big contract for DeAndre Hopkins. Like I said, they can't pay everybody.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Romo is the best QB on this team right now. He knows it. Dak knows it. The coaches know it. Jerry knows it.

He wants to play. But they want to get to the future.

He'll be released. Dallas will get nothing but cap space, which they will spend on a backup QB anyway. So essentially, the Cowboys will get nothing.

He'll go to Houston, and suddenly, the Cowboys will be the 2nd best team....in Texas.

...for a few weeks, until the Texans' sieve of an OL gets Romo killed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did, for this year anyway. No way, he sits down next year and plays the good solider, if they decide they won't cut him or trade him. He will be saying he is the best QB on the team and should start from the minute OTA begins.. and he would be right. If they decide to keep Romo, they can't expect him to be the good guy he was this year. That is why he will be released. No team is going to offer a good pick because they know he will be released.
I think Romo meant Prescott was the team's quarterback going forward without exception. I may have misinterpreted what he was saying between the lines but there was a definite tone of finality to his Statement that's stretches beyond simple disappointment.