News: Romo restructured according to the FAN

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
It's also the roughly exact same number as the cost of the rookie draft class, Hardy's incentive bonuses, and McClain's salary + incentives. Which one is more likely to be a coincidence -- the things they already have to account for, or some other team's RB?

Your right but don't forget we can cut Carr! AP could also take a paycut, it's still possible.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Those other moves were already made before Romo restructured his deal. The Hardy contract was included and we had about 2 mil. left. Romo now frees up 13 mil.

Hardy had an initial cap hit of relatively nothing so signing him didn't have much impact. His per game figures have to be accounted for every week though. That means he will have a weekly cap hit every week that has to come from somewhere now or then. That part hadn't been accounted for until today. They still could get AP theoretically, but it would require some moves that aren't as simple as a Romo restructure was.

bounce

Reaction score
Leverage game. Ultimately they can't force AP on the field physically. If he won't play they won't want to pay

Honestly, who would balk first? The guy who stands to lose 12M isn't going to not play if they call his bluff. I will say that the restructure is shady if we're not planning a run at something, so I agree, but if Minny looks like a team who legitimately wants him back, not just holding out to be a jerk.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Well, I know to believe Jerry Jones as much as a politician running for office, but, I sort of believed him in that they didn't want to hurt the future cap wise by restructuring every contract. Thought after the letting Murray sign with the Eagles, signing Hardy to a play to get paid contract and re-signing McClain to a fair deal we wouldn't restructure Romo's deal to the tune of 13 million,

Yeah, except you aren't "hurting" the future cap. You are pushing money into the future - does that limit what you can spend against the cap? Not really, because you can push other contracts into the future to pay for that. Pushing into the future is particularly desirable when the cap keeps rising

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for your always informative update tweets, Woody's Girl.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That means they have to pay weekly.

The first payment they miss, the roster is frozen.

There is no point in doing it your way. It has to be paid when earned.

There is a point in doing this way. Is it risky? Yes. But maybe they'd be ok with having the roster basically frozen by week 10 or 11. Again, risky, yes. Doable according to the CBA? Yes. Will they, are they? Who knows. Can they? Yes.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Though there will be much speculation about what this means for other Cowboys possible transactions, namely looking to acquire Adrian Peterson, really all this move does is give Dallas the ability to pay for a full season of Greg Hardy. If Hardy hits his incentivized roster bonuses his cap charge will rise considerably this winter and the Cowboys needed room for that move. More would need to be done to bring in a player like Peterson, even if he agreed to an incentivized or deferred money contract. The Cowboys would still likely need to do something with the contract of Brandon Carr to make that happen. Carr could still be a June 1 (or I guess now a May 12) cut to help with that, but it would not help getting McClain signed now.

Source: http://overthecap.com/tony-romo-restructures-contract-with-cowboys/

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That is a strong argument. And I think thats why this is being debated so much. That and its the best RB in the league.

I am not a cap guy, at all. But now that they have all those guys taken care of, is there not a way , at all to sign AP, if say AP, comes down....6 million.? 6 million to play for a team that has a shot at the SB , a childhood favorite team, that's 2 hours from where you live and grew up, has what is regarded as one of the best olines in the league. And to NOT play for a team, that he has perceived threw him under the bus, has virtually no shot at the SB and is basically rebuilding...and is now playing stand off games with him,,,,, 6-8 million. One of the most talented and greatest RB in NFL history....?? Who has already expressed interest in the Cowboys, and has expressed his desire to leave Minnesota...

There is a bigger picture here;

So, with all that in mind, could we possibly get enough by signing Dez long term, cutting Carr, and some other moves? For a chance to sign AP and make a run into the SB. A SB we haven't even been close too, in 20 years....

Of course there is. AP could simply redo his contract with us. We give him a bunch of guaranteed money, spread it out over 4 years. Yadda, yadda. His cap hit this year could be very low if we wanted to structure it that way. But he'd have to be willing to do so. And we'd have to be willing to pay a mint for him and probably give up a high draft pick.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well, kinda. What you're really getting is Fishspeak. That's what's known as not knowing what the hell you're talking about but having a running narrative in which you throw **** against a wall, back track, throw it back against a wall, backtrack again, act like you know what you're talking about, charge a premium for even more baseless bull**** and when the whole situation comes to it's end, you then cherry pick the sticking points in your previous week's worth of babble to indicate that you, indeed, had it correct when the reality was that you had no ******* clue of what you were talking about but it got some poor ******* to subscribe to you premium content to learn, literally, nothing. That's Fishspeak (in a nutshell).

LOL:lmao:

Pretty true.......

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Honestly, who would balk first? The guy who stands to lose 12M isn't going to not play if they call his bluff. I will say that the restructure is shady if we're not planning a run at something, so I agree, but if Minny looks like a team who legitimately wants him back, not just holding out to be a jerk.

He wants out, they're not gonna waste a spot for guy publicly trying to leave. Probably not a culture they'd desire. IMO

JBS

Reaction score
Most of hardys bonuses cab be charged to next years cap right?

Yeah, expect that to happen

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
What the heck does "follow along" at the end mean? Is he plugging his show or just being his normal snooty self? Either way, little phrases like that annoy me.

He's legit turned his whole twitter account to try and **** talk me back since I told him he was condescending to his followers who tweet him w/ questions. Last 20 tweets is trying to be an *** to me. Lol

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Scary thought of the day............

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 1h1 hour ago
Romo's latest restructure gives him highest potential "dead money" in NFL history. Amount to accelerate if a separation: $46 million.

64 retweets 33 favorites

Suh just signed a 59m guaranteed deal and he isn't a franchise QB
PITT would owe Big Ben 38m
GB owes A-aron 30m
NYJ 41m to Revis
BAL 36m for Flacco

Romo's number drops to 32m after this year and to 19m after 2016. Big numbers for sure, but they can be split over 2 years.

Wood

Reaction score

Romo's latest restructure gives him highest potential "dead money" in NFL history. Amount to accelerate if a separation: $46 million.

64 retweets 33 favorites

so basically if Romo gets hurt this franchise is dead for several years. I would make picking up blitz the most over-practiced drill in training camp.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
so basically if Romo gets hurt this franchise is dead for several years. I would make picking up blitz the most over-practiced drill in training camp.

Scary thought, huh? I was really hoping the FO would avoid feeling the need to restructure Romo's contract. Nevertheless, I refuse to believe it was for the sole purpose of obtaining AP until I've seen it in print. There are a variety of other things that might easily have led them in that direction. No doubt, we'll know what in due time.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

64 retweets 33 favorites

That is fearmongering. As it stands right now the worst case scenario is that he ends up on the IR during the season and is a June 1 cut next year.

http://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145

We save $8m on the cap if that happens. Make sure to change the drop down.