Romo speaks to the media **merged**

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Sickening.

The man has sacrificed SO MUCH for this team over the years. He kept them competitive without a defense or offensive line for years. He has sacrificed his body, taken so much unwarranted crap, and has ALWAYS been a class act on and off the field. He deserves better.

I was at a game at Giants stadium when Aikman threw a bunch of picks and clearly wasn't Aikman anymore. We all saw Marino throw like 5 picks on Thanksgiving against Dallas and we knew that was no longer Dan Marino. Those moments are sad for fans, but those players had lost their ability to play at a high level. Tony Romo, by all reports, was looking as good as ever in training camp. He was the best QB in football in his last full season. Dallas is like 15-4 in his last 19 regular season starts. He is a smart, experienced, talented, great QB. Dak has been amazing. He certainly deserves quite a bit of credit for our current record. However, he is NOT the best QB on this team. He is a rookie and is still learning how to read defenses. His accuracy issues with certain passes are very evident. I believe we could very well be 9-0 with Romo.

I think this is a TERRIBLE decision. I do not believe that Dak gives us the best chance against teams with good defenses like. He did not look good for much of the Philly and Pittsburgh games. Romo deserves a shot to show what he could do with this team. To finally put a team like this around him and then have him turn the keys over to a rookie, who still has a lot to learn, is simply wrong.

I've been a Cowboys fan since I was 6 (I'm 44). I'll always be a Cowboys fan. I have never pulled for a player like I have for Tony Romo. I have literally rooted for him as hard as I have rooted for the team over the years. He has given everything to this team and now he has to just sit and watch despite being the best QB on the team? I can't wrap my head around that. I'm honestly disgusted with Garrett, Jones etc. right now. I should be feeling like a million bucks at this moment because Dallas has the best record in football, but I don't. I feel like the team just screwed a guy who has given everything to them. If Romo has to just sit and watch the remainder of this season from the bench, while healthy, it will be less enjoyable for me. What an awful, undeserved way for him to end his career as a Cowboy. I'm sure people will say "Well you're a Romo fan and not a Cowboys fan then!" or some BS. No, I'm a Cowboys fan who is beyond disappointed with how his team has handled one of the greatest Cowboys ever. I'm praying that he'll somehow get his chance to win that SB with Dallas.

He simply deserves better than this.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
This should be a sad day for us. We grew with romo.

End of an era regardless of the the results that have been happening

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Not even a little. I'm with @DFWJC It's just been amped. Easy to play loose up til now, but as the season goes on...or even in the next few years. Being QB of America's team is a hard job. Got alot of superbowl or bust types in the fandom.

It's been a great season and folks are talking superbowl and the team hasn't clinched a playoff berth. Dak doesn't have to deliver this year. His rookie success to this point has got him a pass for the next two years. No playoff success and the fans will turn.
You know it. lol

weaver21

Reaction score
This should be a sad day for us. We grew with romo.

End of an era regardless of the the results that have been happening

I literally grew up as a teenager in the Tony Romo era and he was, and is still is, my favorite football player of all time. It's definitely a sad day to see that man concede that this is no longer his team after being the face of this franchise for nearly a decade.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Roger Staubach:
Tony wants to get in there, and he knows this is a good team. But I think he also knows the situation and is very supportive of Dak,” Staubach said. “Tony is a class act, and he is not going to let his personal desires jeopardize the team. If he came back and said, 'Hey I should really be in there,' I think there would be some players who would side with Tony and others would not. He’s not going to let that happen. He’s going to sit it out until they need him.”

Staubach spoke to USA TODAY Sports on behalf of USAA, the official military appreciation sponsor of the NFL at SaluteToService.com.

Prescott has completed 66.5% of his passes for 2,020 yards, and 12 touchdowns versus two interceptions this season and added 125 yards and four rushing scores on the ground.

Romo was listed as a full-time participant in practice Wednesday and is taking scout team reps while the Cowboys gear up for a high-profile showdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday afternoon.

“Dak has got the team on a roll right now,” Staubach said. “He’s our quarterback.”

JS22

Reaction score
Romo will be wearing a different uniform next season. We need to start coming to grips with that realization.

I, personally, have not yet, and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to.

Part of me wants to see him go to Denver and win a Superbowl. I even had to hesitate for a second on who I'd rather see win in a Cowboys / Broncos Superbowl with Romo at QB. Dude has carried this clown show on his back for years, finally gets a potentially elite team, and succumbs to injury / age. I would love to see him be able to go out on top next season.

But, even as massive of a Romo homer I am, you cannot replace Dak unless he completely falls apart 3 games in a row. And I can't see that happening.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, WG. IMO this should take pressure off Dak knowing this is now his team, and it's not a win or bench situation anymore.
That's cool. No harm in disagreeing. I still think it's a win or bench, but it's based on performance vs Romo's pending return just like any other position on the team.

As someone said on twitter, the Cowboys know they got Romo and his 30,000 yards. record passer rating, pro bowls, and various other Cowboy records sitting on the bench. Dak HAS to deliver. He can't stink up the joint or he'll be pulled just like any other starter not named Witten. Dez, Zeke or anyone on the OL.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sickening.

The man has sacrificed SO MUCH for this team over the years. He kept them competitive without a defense or offensive line for years. He has sacrificed his body, taken so much unwarranted crap, and has ALWAYS been a class act on and off the field. He deserves better.

I was at a game at Giants stadium when Aikman threw a bunch of picks and clearly wasn't Aikman anymore. We all saw Marino throw like 5 picks on Thanksgiving against Dallas and we knew that was no longer Dan Marino. Those moments are sad for fans, but those players had lost their ability to play at a high level. Tony Romo, by all reports, was looking as good as ever in training camp. He was the best QB in football in his last full season. Dallas is like 15-4 in his last 19 regular season starts. He is a smart, experienced, talented, great QB. Dak has been amazing. He certainly deserves quite a bit of credit for our current record. However, he is NOT the best QB on this team. He is a rookie and is still learning how to read defenses. His accuracy issues with certain passes are very evident. I believe we could very well be 9-0 with Romo.

I think this is a TERRIBLE decision. I do not believe that Dak gives us the best chance against teams with good defenses like. He did not look good for much of the Philly and Pittsburgh games. Romo deserves a shot to show what he could do with this team. To finally put a team like this around him and then have him turn the keys over to a rookie, who still has a lot to learn, is simply wrong.

I've been a Cowboys fan since I was 6 (I'm 44). I'll always be a Cowboys fan. I have never pulled for a player like I have for Tony Romo. I have literally rooted for him as hard as I have rooted for the team over the years. He has given everything to this team and now he has to just sit and watch despite being the best QB on the team? I can't wrap my head around that. I'm honestly disgusted with Garrett, Jones etc. right now. I should be feeling like a million bucks at this moment because Dallas has the best record in football, but I don't. I feel like the team just screwed a guy who has given everything to them. If Romo has to just sit and watch the remainder of this season from the bench, while healthy, it will be less enjoyable for me. What an awful, undeserved way for him to end his career as a Cowboy. I'm sure people will say "Well you're a Romo fan and not a Cowboys fan then!" or some BS. No, I'm a Cowboys fan who is beyond disappointed with how his team has handled one of the greatest Cowboys ever. I'm praying that he'll somehow get his chance to win that SB with Dallas.

I'm with you that Tony's still the better QB. But then, I also think there's something to the way we're winning games right now. If you're riding a runaway freight train and have your second best engineer steering, you don't necessarily risk making a change if that guy happens to be a damn good engineer in his own right.

That said, Tony obviously lives for this stuff, and has put himself completely on the line for chances like this one to get it done. To see his best chance yet taken away by a preseason bone fracture is really though.

At the end of the day, as he suggested, the fact that he'll be able to look back on how he handled this situation and be satisfied with himself might just be worth more professional pride than actually being the one throwing in the Superbowl would be. As much as I want to see Tony in there, he and the organization are making the right call. And now, if he does go in there (god forbid Dak gets a sore hamstring or whatever), you better believe the team will be 100% behind him. They'll probably play even harder because now the dynamic has been inverted on this one. It'd make for a great story, too.

Unless that happens, though, it's time to put this storyline to rest and enjoy the rest of the ride, however long it lasts.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Sickening.

"Deserves got nothing to do with it."

Alweezy

Reaction score
Sickening.

You gotta take the emotion out of this decision. If it's meant to be, Romo will get his chance. If it's not meant to be, that would imply Dak has led us to the Super Bowl. I think we're all hurt a little bit today. But from the standpoint of the team, this is a win-win situation as a Cowboys fan.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't think I'm ever going to understand why there's so much animosity on the Romo v. Dak topic.

The team doesn't see any. The QBs obviously don't. The team is winning, so fans should be happy. We've got two really, really good QBs. That ought to be something that brings Cowboys fans together and not tears them apart.

What's more, what Romo did today was a fairly selfless class-act move like you rarely see in sports. Just be happy for the team and move on to the BAL game and enjoy the ride, everybody. Man.

It's pretty sad. I made a similar point piggybacking on Sturm's post this morning. I don't understand either.

Good point on Romo's presser today.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You know maybe for a lot of you it was easy and welcomed and you don't like the guy, and have taken every opportunity to dig him, hate him whatever. You all got your wish and it disgusts me.

My dude, the guy we've spent 14 years watching. You've given this franchise everything you've had, we've wept, we've cheered, we've cursed you. But most of us still love and admire you. You're the embassador of this team and everything this organization stands for. Your class, humility and your amazing ability to know ahead of time what a defense is going to do. I've witnessed 3 QB's do what you do at the line Manning,Brady and Rodgers. You either have it or you don't. I hate, hate, hate how this looks like it's going to end, and I don't care what anyone says it's upsetting. If you play somewhere else next year I know I will watch you as I still enjoy watching you do something magical. Never felt like this team was out of any game with you under center.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's cool. No harm in disagreeing. I still think it's a win or bench, but it's based on performance vs Romo's pending return just like any other position on the team.

As someone said on twitter, the Cowboys know they got Romo and his 30,000 yards. record passer rating, pro bowls, and various other Cowboy records sitting on the bench. Dak HAS to deliver. He can't stink up the joint or he'll be pulled just like any other starter not named Witten. Dez, Zeke or anyone on the OL.

I agree but hopefully Dak can keep it going and win. I'm big Romo fan and if he needs to step in I have all the faith in the world in Tony Romo. But I can never pull against the Cowboys just because I want Romo to play. As a long time fan of the Cowboys I would compare this closely to Danny White a man who took so much heat yet gave his all to this franchise. Danny just like Romo were good enough to win championships however Championships are not won by QB alone they are a team accomplishment.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pretty sad. I made a similar point piggybacking on Sturm's post this morning. I don't understand either.

Good point on Romo's presser today.

It's completely stupid as far as I'm concerned. People get wrapped up with their own anonymous opinions over the internet and don't realize it when those opinions are completely at odds with reality. Meanwhile, the team keeps rolling and the elite veteran QB throws himself on the sword because he respects his teammates and it's the right thing to do.

Dak's going to come out this week and do something equally impressive, and there are still going to be posters here yelling at each other over absolutely nothing. It'd be comical if they weren't missing out on a lot of the fun that's going on in the meantime.

Zordon

Reaction score
Part of me wants to see him go to Denver and win a Superbowl. I even had to hesitate for a second on who I'd rather see win in a Cowboys / Broncos Superbowl with Romo at QB. Dude has carried this clown show on his back for years, finally gets a potentially elite team, and succumbs to injury / age. I would love to see him be able to go out on top next season.

But, even as massive of a Romo homer I am, you cannot replace Dak unless he completely falls apart 3 games in a row. And I can't see that happening.
Disgrace.....

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I think if we've learned one thing about Dak is pressure doesn't bother him. That's why I think he could be the first rookie QB to win a Super Bowl we heard from game 1 he doesn't get nervous has excellent blood pressure and he's backed it up 100%. No game is going to be too big for him, if we don't get to or win the Super Bowl it won't be because of pressure on Dak that's for sure, many other things could happen that could stop that from happening though but not pressure.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Sickening.

I agree with 99 percent of what you wrote but there is a very small part of me that knew his time was coming to an end last season. I didn't see us being this set at QB this fast. Still not even sure we are. But when a QB has the team behind him and Dak does, you have to keep him playing. The point is to win it all, and right now that is where Dak has the team headed. I'd like to have seen what Tony could do healthy with THIS roster but I get what the coaches are doing. What's bitter sweet for me is we will never know if Tony would have done better or wors than Dak. The further Dak takes the team the more grief Tony will take and that's just sad. Like you said he gave his every thing just to make games bearable.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Deserves based on his play - no just his sacrifices. Deserves has quite a bit to do with it actually, since I think he has earned it in every way possible.

It's not that I disagree with you on Romo's career but it's about who deserves to play now. At present, Romo is an unknown quantity while Dak has the team 8-1.