Romo speaks to the media **merged**

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
The actual number of people who are either all in on Tony or all in on Dak seems to me to be very small as a percentage of posters here, fwiw.

While this is true, they are the loudest and boisterous of posters so it makes it feel as if they are in abundance.

I agree with SD and Zordon 100%. This PC is only going to have these individuals nitpick the hell out of Dak's game and when we inevitably don't win the SB, there will be a a Zillion threads on why Tony would have.

Dak is in a situation that reminds me of Switzer: a lose lose situation. If Switzer won, it was because of Jimmy's players not his. If Switzer lost, it's like "how could you lose with Jimmy's players".

If Dak wins, it will be "Romo would have won too". If Dam loses, we'll hear how Romo would have won.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Tony Romo today:

"If you think for a second I don't want to be out there, then you've probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn't left me. In fact, it may burn now more than ever."

Yes.

So what's really happening here?

Is he staying for the rest of season?
Is this his last season?
Has he asked to go elsewhere where he can start?
Did he do this on his own? I'm thinking he has been told he can go?

I'm so unsure. This sucks. I wanted a super bowl for thus guy. Mother flower!

waldoputty

Reaction score
o
This was all prepared by the team IMO. Romo looked so uncomfortable on there. Think the team had him say it instead of the team announcing it. They probably told him the news and direction they were going. So instead of prolonging the worst kept secret in sports they had Romo break it to the media in his own words. Well his own voice because u can tell that statement was prepared.

Romo will be getting Dallas a Rd1 pick in the offseason.

I actually think Romo wanted to announce it himself.
IMO he prepared a complete statement because he did not want to break down if he took questions.
I think he almost broke down a couple times during his announcement.

Actually I hope Romo will take a renegotiate and stay with the team for 2 years using some type of long term structure.
It never felt right for Emmitt to leave.
Romo was not successful like Emmitt, but never liked team leaders like Romo and Ware leaving the team (and I am no Romo fan, but a fan of the team).

Have to admit, a 1st round or 2nd round pick sounds mighty tempting though...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://cowboyszone.com/threads/romo-speaks-to-the-media-merged.362898/page-12#post-6979864

Couldn't find your OP, WG, I am largely drawing this (my assumption, mind you) from your last paragraph of my reply to you. Post 220. It was amidst a plethora of supportive posts supporting Romo's speech. I found it incongruent with what you normally post. I hold you in the highest esteem, so please take this lightly.

I apologize. I probably went too far, but you deserved clarification.
I think you're reading too much into it. I'm pretty pragmatic about these kinds of things. The retirements/releases of Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin probably hurt my heart more. Nowadays, I will absolutely love and appreciate a player, but I'm not as emotionally invested. Romo's my guy, but I get it. I'll always root for him too, whether he's a Cowboy or not. But the team has made their decision, so let's roll with it.

Solution

Reaction score
I still don't think we've seen the last of Romo. I hope to see him on the Broncos or Vikings if it isn't with us next year.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I think you're reading too much into it. I'm pretty pragmatic about these kinds of things. The retirements/releases of Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin probably hurt my heart more. Nowadays, I will absolutely love and appreciate a player, but I'm not as emotionally invested. Romo's my guy, but I get it. I'll always root for him too, whether he's a Cowboy or not. But the team has made their decision, so let's roll with it.

Fair enough, WG. I probably am. You lived through glory, and Romo is the closest to glory some of the younger, open-minded fanbase has had (sadly). I get it, though.

Go Cowboys.

dfense

Reaction score
They were 3-1 when we played them and we've had trouble at Lambeau throughout our history plus they have one of the best QBs in the league who's won a championship. Stop trying to cheapen the win because you and no one else would be doing it if Romo had been the QB. Despite the Steelers record and not having Lebeau they're still a tough opponent especially at home. They desperately needed that game last week and it was a battle and Dak came through.
Let me break down that explanation.
Steelers and Green Bay are .500 teams right now. Steelers less than that actually. Dak had a nice 50 yard pass to Dez covered by a rookie. Other than his 85 yard screen, it was Zeke all day. And when Zeke doesn't come through for Dak.....one and done again.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Yes.

Is this his last season?

Knowing Jerry, I think the choice is 100% Romo's. If he wants to retire and be a coach with the Cowboys or have some executive role or whatever he wants to do he can, if he wants to be traded I think Jerry will trade him to any team he asks no conditions, or he can stay as the backup. He sounded like he wants to play today but I thought Jerry saying he'd be a good coordinator is odd. We won't know til the offseason.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

True fans make it personal but this is purely business. I have 0 doubt about how much Jerry and Garrett like Romo they are not making this move out of spite on the other hand they have to do what is right for now and long range for the Cowboys. I'm sure San Fran hated to let Montana go and end up in KC but it is the nature of this business. Cowboys made the move and Dak is the starting QB people can either accept it or be angry but anger is just a waste to time

dfense

Reaction score
They just chucked the season away. They have a great run first, safe passes, wear down the defense strategy. But you better have a much better red zone qb come playoffs. 12-4. And home for the holidays.

I really thought they owed Romo a chance to reclaim his job. Not even giving him that. I'm really let down by that. He's certainly earned that right. Let him fail if he will. They are setting themselves up for a huge letdown.

Last edited:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apples and oranges...

Romo came on board in 2003. He didn't receive his first round of criticism until 2007 for his Cabo gaffe. So it took him 4 years to enter the fire......Meanwhile Dak is getting criticized and nitpicked to death in his rookie year after leading the team to an 8-1 record. That's also the difference btw me and them- I got behind Romo when we were winning. These clowns are in their feelings and second guessing every mistake Dak makes even though we have the BEST RECORD IN THE NFL! :laugh:It's pathetic and a sad indictment on a portion of our fanbase.

I mean seriously how is this defensible???? ----------------->>>>>>>>>>
You weren't here before Romo entered that Giants game. You have no idea what type of criticism Romo got for even being on the team. He was a total non-factor his first year or so. Folks would see him at training camp and criticize his arm strength, calling it a lollipop. This isn't the first QB war on CZ. QC, Hutch, Hutch, Henson, QC, Henson, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Romo. I PROMISE you... the little nitpicking that Dak is getting is nothing and your hypersensitivity is hilarious and is an indictment of you being extra biased when it comes to Dak.

What you have to realize as someone mentioned is if this is a superbowl contending team as folks suggest then, Dak will have to live up to those expectations. So expect a lot more nitpicking. Is what it is.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Let me break down that explanation.
Steelers and Green Bay are .500 teams right now. Steelers less than that actually. Dak had a nice 50 yard pass to Dez covered by a rookie. Other than his 85 yard screen, it was Zeke all day. And when Zeke doesn't come through for Dak.....one and done again.

I think Romo was all class and team today, but I would not make light of what Dak did either.
I thought Dak did quite well on the 50 yd pass avoiding the rush and throwing a strike.
He had some tough throws including the tough pass to Dez on the 3rd down late in the game.
On the last drive, he was 3 for 4.
Dak was pretty clutch in the 4th quarter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You weren't here before Romo entered that Giants game. You have no idea what type of criticism Romo got for even being on the team. He was a total non-factor his first year or so. Folks would see him at training camp and criticize his arm strength, calling it a lollipop. This isn't the first QB war on CZ. QC, Hutch, Hutch, Henson, QC, Henson, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Romo. I PROMISE you... the little nitpicking that Dak is getting is nothing and your hypersensitivity is hilarious and is an indictment of you being extra biased when it comes to Dak.

What you have to realize as someone mentioned is if this is a superbowl contending team as folks suggest then, Dak will have to live up to those expectations. So expect a lot more nitpicking. Is what it is.

You are right it is what it is and that has always been the perception that it is all on the QB. Myself I have never agreed with that since I'm one who believes championships are team accomplishment. A QB can lose a game quicker than anyone else on the team but he can't win it by himself. You are right though right or wrong the burden falls to Dak. Defense could give up 40 points in a game while offense scores 38 and the QB will still take the brunt of it and I think that is about as silly as it gets

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Pure class as I expected from Tony. He has been a team guy forever and once again put the team first as a great leader and man would.

I always respected him and I respect him even more now.

So sad for Tony.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Yes.

Is this his last season?

It's hard to say what's going to happen in the long run, but knowing Romo is ready to play and take over for Dak if necessary puts us in a very good place at QB right now. We're ready for the stretch run and beyond.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Knowing Jerry, I think the choice is 100% Romo's. If he wants to retire and be a coach with the Cowboys or have some executive role or whatever he wants to do he can, if he wants to be traded I think Jerry will trade him to any team he asks no conditions, or he can stay as the backup. He sounded like he wants to play today but I thought Jerry saying he'd be a good coordinator is odd. We won't know til the offseason.

lol may be Jerry wants him to retire as a cowboy and give him the same salary as OC... who knows...

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tony Romo today:

"If you think for a second I don't want to be out there, then you've probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn't left me. In fact, it may burn now more than ever."
That was most memorable to me as well. He wants it do bad. I just don't know if his body can do what his minds so desperately wants.