Romo speaks to the media **merged**

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
There's really no factual basis for saying Romo is better than Dak right now.

We haven't seen a version of Tony Romo better than this version of Dak Prescott in almost two years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree that Romo is the better QB right now (if healthy). It's almost unimaginable that a player as established and skilled as Romo, as a longtime vet, wouldn't be better than a rookie who is going through everything for the very first time.

Dak hasn't been the normal rookie and what he's done has been unimaginable, he's looked like a 10 year veteran. It's remarkable how well he's played. Just look at his numbers the past 9 games you would think Romo of 2014 was the QB. Romo isn't the better QB right now, he hasn't played a regular season game in a full year. Even he said you have to continue to keep proving yourself and there's no guarantees he's the same player now after all the games he's missed and the injuries he's had.

windjc

Reaction score
Lol. Like I said, wrong 90% of the time.
You must be referring to yourself. lol If I'm wrong that often, then it should be no problem for you to find a prediction I was wrong on, so the challenge is on dig up a prediction I missed after the 2014 season. :thumbup: You're going to be wrong, the Cowboys won't get a conditional #1 for Romo, he hasn't made it past two games the last three times he's seen the field the past year. No deal will be made on "performance" the concern with him is injuries. He didn't lose his job due to poor performance, he lost it because he keeps getting injured and gave Dak an opportunity. Had he just missed a game or two he would have never lost his job.

He was injured long enough for Dak to get a lot of game opportunities to take his job away. If he would have been ready to go by week 3, he would have been back in and the Cowboys would have been happy they found a good backup in Dak. The Cowboys will either get a mid round pick, 3rd to 5th rounder or Romo will be released. His injuries have made him a very high risk player and no one is going to risk a high pick on a 37 year old QB that's missed as many games as Romo has due to injuries. Teams are going to be much more concerned with his ability to stay healthy than his performance. Trust me on this!

Lol@ you thinking performance and injuries are two different things.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol@ you thinking performance and injuries are two different things.

Performance and injuries are two different things when it comes to Romo and if you don't think they are Lol@ you. Romo can still play but he can't stay healthy. Injuries haven't hindered his performances they've kept him off the field.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lot of air play on the radio tonight. Current radio host: "Romo read that like he was reading a hostage letter."

:muttley:

It almost sounded like a retirement speech. It was pretty obvious by the emotion in his face and voice that he likely won't be with the Cowboys next year.

csirl

Reaction score
I remember posting a few weeks ago that an agent would advise Tony to sit on the bench and collect his salary until seasons end.

Frozen700

Reaction score
It's getting tiring seeing some trying to cheapen what Dak has accomplished and making it appear Romo never had a good team. Someone posted yesterday that Romo never had a team like Dak has this year with the great OL and the leagues leading rusher, when that's exactly what Romo had in 2014. :laugh: Dak's winning games in places Romo never did and we just tied the longest winning streak in franchise history. Romo is done as the starter and Dak is the man. Have fun chewing on that. :thumbup:

Bunch of grown men acting like females

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
It almost sounded like a retirement speech. It was pretty obvious by the emotion in his face and voice that he likely won't be with the Cowboys next year.

The business of professional sports can be brutal and as he said yesterday, "soul crushing". People forget these aren't highly paid robots running around. Fortunately for Romo individually, he still has the opportunity to rebound and continue his career - albeit for a different team.

shabazz

Reaction score
The distraction part is clearly a non issue so how much can he restructure his contract to either be tradeable or stay as an affordable backup?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I have always been a Romo fan and defended him here. But I don't get why people are saying Romo is still the better QB. The way I see it Dak has the mind..and more importantly the body, to frustrate teams. He's too young to not get it. He fits the system and that is what is needed. They use the run. He spreads the ball. He doesn't play hero ball. He scrambles only when needed. My fear with Tony is that you still might get a couple of unnecessary Ints because he does like to try and do a little more. I fear his body would be able to juke but his mind will tell him to get down instead of taking off. For all the talk about experience maybe it is better to have a blank slate and follow all progressions like Dak vs having some baggage. Just food for thought. Dak fits what we need to do to a tee.

Falco78

Reaction score
So what do you guys see happening with Romo this offseason, not sure what the cap numbers are for him depending on the situation. No team would trade for him with the current cap hit and a 20 million dollar backup is insane moving forward

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
So what do you guys see happening with Romo this offseason, not sure what the cap numbers are for him depending on the situation. No team would trade for him with the current cap hit and a 20 million dollar backup is insane moving forward

I'm not a cap guy for sure. If Romo has a chance to provide a more palatable contract structure for a chance to start elsewhere, I imagine he would restructure in a way that helps him move to a new team. I can't see a major pay cut but I'm sure he would make an adjustment. In turn I believe Dallas would work hard to give him that chance to choose his own new team.

jusdre

Reaction score
:(:(:( I kinda got teary eyed when I heard it live on my commute home. But we gotta go with Dak.

Maybe Tony can beat Dak out in Camp next summer

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap is a detriment but it's not an all-powerful impassable obstacle. Romo made it crystal clear (understatement) he wants to start. The front office has installed Prescott as the team's franchise quarterback going forward. Romo returning to the starting role is not happening in Big D barring injury. Add the fact that Jones is very accommodating to his players and the probability of seeing Romo in another uniform next season is extremely high (another understatement).The romanticizing of Romo as a backup beyond 2016 is an utter fantasy in my opinion.

aikemirv

Reaction score
:(:(:( I kinda got teary eyed when I heard it live on my commute home. But we gotta go with Dak.

Maybe Tony can beat Dak out in Camp next summer

Tony can beat Dak out in practice every week now. It does not matter who the better QB is right now. It is a decision for the future

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone seeing and hearing Romo read his statement should prepare themselves for the possibility he's not immediately retiring also. Now if he goes to another team, competes, and fails to secure the starting job? Sure. Same goes for the aftermath of another soul crushing injury.

Romo's a competitor in every sense of the word. He's going to fight for every opportunity before he surrenders his career as a starting NFL quarterback. OC? Please. OC down the road? Maybe but Romo hasn't even glanced at that trail in the woods yet.

Not certain why some people don't believe athletes share the same dreams and ambitions as everyone else. Perhaps that's the answer. "Everyone" doesn't have dreams and ambitions. Some people may just feel that it's better for someone else to give up for blah blah blah reasoning. Illogical. Unrealistic. Selfish. And pretty narrow-minded.