Romo speaks to the media **merged**

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sickening.

The man has sacrificed SO MUCH for this team over the years. He kept them competitive without a defense or offensive line for years. He has sacrificed his body, taken so much unwarranted crap, and has ALWAYS been a class act on and off the field. He deserves better.

I was at a game at Giants stadium when Aikman threw a bunch of picks and clearly wasn't Aikman anymore. We all saw Marino throw like 5 picks on Thanksgiving against Dallas and we knew that was no longer Dan Marino. Those moments are sad for fans, but those players had lost their ability to play at a high level. Tony Romo, by all reports, was looking as good as ever in training camp. He was the best QB in football in his last full season. Dallas is like 15-4 in his last 19 regular season starts. He is a smart, experienced, talented, great QB. Dak has been amazing. He certainly deserves quite a bit of credit for our current record. However, he is NOT the best QB on this team. He is a rookie and is still learning how to read defenses. His accuracy issues with certain passes are very evident. I believe we could very well be 9-0 with Romo.

I think this is a TERRIBLE decision. I do not believe that Dak gives us the best chance against teams with good defenses like. He did not look good for much of the Philly and Pittsburgh games. Romo deserves a shot to show what he could do with this team. To finally put a team like this around him and then have him turn the keys over to a rookie, who still has a lot to learn, is simply wrong.

I've been a Cowboys fan since I was 6 (I'm 44). I'll always be a Cowboys fan. I have never pulled for a player like I have for Tony Romo. I have literally rooted for him as hard as I have rooted for the team over the years. He has given everything to this team and now he has to just sit and watch despite being the best QB on the team? I can't wrap my head around that. I'm honestly disgusted with Garrett, Jones etc. right now. I should be feeling like a million bucks at this moment because Dallas has the best record in football, but I don't. I feel like the team just screwed a guy who has given everything to them. If Romo has to just sit and watch the remainder of this season from the bench, while healthy, it will be less enjoyable for me. What an awful, undeserved way for him to end his career as a Cowboy. I'm sure people will say "Well you're a Romo fan and not a Cowboys fan then!" or some BS. No, I'm a Cowboys fan who is beyond disappointed with how his team has handled one of the greatest Cowboys ever. I'm praying that he'll somehow get his chance to win that SB with Dallas.

He simply deserves better than this.
I understand the frustration, but I see why they're doing this given the circumstances.
I fully support Prescott, and as he has from the start, so does Romo.
Like any NFL player does (or should do), he will prepare as though he will play in case he's needed.

sean10mm

Reaction score
2014 Romo is better than 2016 Dak, but I don't understand the blind faith that 2014 Romo is ever coming back.

Guys with his age and his injury history almost never do that. He's had like 3 broken bones in his last 5 games or something. Brady is good at 39, but he has also had exactly 1 major injury in his entire damn career, and that was over 8 years ago.

The good teams in the NFL make decisions with the long view in mind. They don't make sentimental decisions based on how they wish things would happen, but rather on what the evidence says is most likely to happen. And no matter how good he used to be, Romo is not a smart bet in 2016. It would be like drawing to an inside straight - great if it works, but nobody smart does it because it hardly ever works.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
So what do you guys see happening with Romo this offseason, not sure what the cap numbers are for him depending on the situation. No team would trade for him with the current cap hit and a 20 million dollar backup is insane moving forward
I see him being traded, and yes, teams would likely trade for him at his current amount. Though, I could also see him being willing to redo his contract for a new team.

Either way, no way in hell he sticks around to be a backup. He's either playing somewhere else next season, or retiring, IMO. The latter not being likely.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yes Tony won at Lambeau, thought that win came at the other stadium in Milwaukee. The Cowboys held a 10 point lead in that game in 2008 vs the Steelers and Romo melted down with 4 turnovers. Dak faced a come from behind situation against a future HOF QB in Big Ben and got it done. The Steelers may not be what they were in 08 but they're still a tough team and that was a quality win.

Yeah, thanks Zeke. Daks 3 10 yard completions were really tough. Romo does that in his sleep!

Steelers are not a glimpse of what they were in 08! Our oline is so much better than 08 and you are out here trying to incite Romo supporters.

Let me know when Dak has 30 4th quarter comebacks to his resume

aikemirv

Reaction score
Sickening.

The man has sacrificed SO MUCH for this team over the years. He kept them competitive without a defense or offensive line for years. He has sacrificed his body, taken so much unwarranted crap, and has ALWAYS been a class act on and off the field. He deserves better.

I was at a game at Giants stadium when Aikman threw a bunch of picks and clearly wasn't Aikman anymore. We all saw Marino throw like 5 picks on Thanksgiving against Dallas and we knew that was no longer Dan Marino. Those moments are sad for fans, but those players had lost their ability to play at a high level. Tony Romo, by all reports, was looking as good as ever in training camp. He was the best QB in football in his last full season. Dallas is like 15-4 in his last 19 regular season starts. He is a smart, experienced, talented, great QB. Dak has been amazing. He certainly deserves quite a bit of credit for our current record. However, he is NOT the best QB on this team. He is a rookie and is still learning how to read defenses. His accuracy issues with certain passes are very evident. I believe we could very well be 9-0 with Romo.

I think this is a TERRIBLE decision. I do not believe that Dak gives us the best chance against teams with good defenses like. He did not look good for much of the Philly and Pittsburgh games. Romo deserves a shot to show what he could do with this team. To finally put a team like this around him and then have him turn the keys over to a rookie, who still has a lot to learn, is simply wrong.

I've been a Cowboys fan since I was 6 (I'm 44). I'll always be a Cowboys fan. I have never pulled for a player like I have for Tony Romo. I have literally rooted for him as hard as I have rooted for the team over the years. He has given everything to this team and now he has to just sit and watch despite being the best QB on the team? I can't wrap my head around that. I'm honestly disgusted with Garrett, Jones etc. right now. I should be feeling like a million bucks at this moment because Dallas has the best record in football, but I don't. I feel like the team just screwed a guy who has given everything to them. If Romo has to just sit and watch the remainder of this season from the bench, while healthy, it will be less enjoyable for me. What an awful, undeserved way for him to end his career as a Cowboy. I'm sure people will say "Well you're a Romo fan and not a Cowboys fan then!" or some BS. No, I'm a Cowboys fan who is beyond disappointed with how his team has handled one of the greatest Cowboys ever. I'm praying that he'll somehow get his chance to win that SB with Dallas.

He simply deserves better than this.

Thanks for making this post!

Rodney308

Reaction score
Totally agree . How difficult is it to ride the wave?

Jerry obviously too afraid to go with his instincts and play the greater QB.
I actually think it's more difficult to put your high dollar QB on the bench, especially when he has been cleared to play.

Sydla

Reaction score
Stephen A Smith's bitterness over this is awesome. LOL.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
One things for sure, Tony is getting props across the board for this speech. From players, to NFL insiders, to opposing team's fans. My hometown newspaper in upstate NY even wrote about it as a message to high school teams on the mentality they should have. It's amazing that it takes something like this - an action taken off the field - for some people to respect him.

There's no way this is the end for Tony. A dark place perhaps, but if anyone's got the determination to get out of that and turn it into something positive it's him.

Animosity

Reaction score
So, are we making a mistake not having a veteran presence at QB?

Was it a mistake to cut Favre and start Rodgers? Was it a mistake to cut Manning and go with Luck? Super Bowl winning QBs we are talking about here. Not a 2 playoff win QB. It's a mistake to think Romo can accomplish what he hasnt been able to do for 10 years. Daks the QB from now on and if a rookie QB can win a SB, its Dak.

Silverstar

Reaction score
It's definitely gonna look weird seeing Romo as the backup for the rest of the season. A very very expensive backup at that. I'm wondering if Jerry is already thinking about picks for Tony and he doesn't want to take a chance of another injury. If that is the plan for Tony going forward, I can certainly understand that line of thinking. I'm not sure if Tony will be worth a 1st round pick at 37yrs old, but combined with our 1st and 3rd and JUST MAYBE we can steal another top 5 pick in 2017. Yes, a top 5 pick is that valuable folks! In fact, that scenario might only garner a top 10 pick. :eek:

Well in the meantime, I hope Tony will get to play some in the 4th quarter this season. It would be sad, to not see him get any real playing time again as a Dallas Cowboy. Hopefully, this team can wrap up the #1 seed early and Romo can start the last game...that would be nice for Romo.

GO COWBOYS!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One things for sure, Tony is getting props across the board for this speech. From players, to NFL insiders, to opposing team's fans. My hometown newspaper in upstate NY even wrote about it as a message to high school teams on the mentality they should have. It's amazing that it takes something like this - an action taken off the field - for some people to respect him.

There's no way this is the end for Tony. A dark place perhaps, but if anyone's got the determination to get out of that and turn it into something positive it's him.
It is a sign of high inner character for anyone appreciating Romo's statement. What he did is pretty much unprecedented. Heck, it's a National Football League milestone.

I think some people have subconsciously equated Romo's statement with that of a retirement speech. It wasn't. It was exactly as Romo conveyed it to the public--namely he's on board with what the front office decided for the franchise. If some people were honest with themselves, they would look back, try to recall seeing another professional athlete going in front of a camera like Romo, and remember seeing anyone making a public statement on behalf of their organization making a similar organizational decision.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened before. I am saying anyone will be hard-pressed to present examples that are the same or similar. Again, his statement wasn't a retirement speech. Not expecting examples as replies but it would be interesting to see what anyone thinks is comparative. Maybe a soccer player did something like this overseas..? I don't watch soccer (or soccer press conferences). :p

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's definitely gonna look weird seeing Romo as the backup for the rest of the season. A very very expensive backup at that. I'm wondering if Jerry is already thinking about picks for Tony and he doesn't want to take a chance of another injury. If that is the plan for Tony going forward, I can certainly understand that line of thinking. I'm not sure if Tony will be worth a 1st round pick at 37yrs old, but combined with our 1st and 3rd and JUST MAYBE we can steal another top 5 pick in 2017. Yes, a top 5 pick is that valuable folks! In fact, that scenario might only garner a top 10 pick. :eek:

Well in the meantime, I hope Tony will get to play some in the 4th quarter this season. It would be sad, to not see him get any real playing time again as a Dallas Cowboy. Hopefully, this team can wrap up the #1 seed early and Romo can start the last game...that would be nice for Romo.

GO COWBOYS!
I think that's a sure bet. I'm sure he and Stephen are considering any foreseeable consequences to the team's salary cap also. However, I do believe the wheels are in motion and will conclude with an appropriate action allowing Romo to go to another team.

rynochop

Reaction score
So what happens iF Dak looks bad and throws a couple first half pics and a fumble on Sunday...does Tony come in in the 2nd half? And if he does, plays well and gets a comeback win

SDCowboy

Reaction score

GO COWBOYS!
Yeah I'm still not sure Tony would fetch a 1st anymore. I'd be happy with a high 2nd.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It is a sign of high inner character for anyone appreciating Romo's statement. What he did is pretty much unprecedented. Heck, it's a National Football League milestone.

I think some people have subconsciously equated Romo's statement with that of a retirement speech. It wasn't. It was exactly as Romo conveyed it to the public--namely he's on board with what the front office decided for the franchise. If some people were honest with themselves, they would look back, try to recall seeing another professional athlete going in front of a camera like Romo, and remember seeing anyone making a public statement on behalf of their organization making a similar organizational decision.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened before. I am] saying anyone will be hard-pressed to present examples that are the same or similar. Again, his statement wasn't a retirement speech. Not expecting examples as replies but it would be interesting to see what anyone thinks is comparative. Maybe a soccer player did something like this overseas..? I don't watch soccer (or soccer press conferences). :p
Well said, man.

waldoputty

Reaction score

His speech was genuine and showed a lot of class.
I hope he does not get injured badly again trying to be a fully time starter.

waldoputty

Reaction score

I'm not saying it hasn't happened before. I am saying anyone will be hard-pressed to present examples that are the same or similar. Again, his statement wasn't a retirement speech. Not expecting examples as replies but it would be interesting to see what anyone thinks is comparative. Maybe a soccer player did something like this overseas..? I don't watch soccer (or soccer press conferences). :p

It was probably unprecedented. Cannot remember when a change in QB has not been an ugly affair. He put himself out there for the team's good, as well as an organization that really tried to stay 'loyal' to him.

I dont quite agree with the retirement speech thought. I did feel like Romo was talking about his football mortality. He talked about injured for 2 years and someone young coming in etc. Yes, he said the fire burns within him more than ever, but I think he is trying to come to grips himself with what to do in the future.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not in front of a mic, but Fisher compared the situation to what happened with Leary and Collins. I could see it.

Fisher also said that Romo planned to take questions, saw all the media and deviated from that. Didn't want to be the cause of the very thing he was trying to avoid being....a distraction.