Romo speaks to the media **merged**

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings right now. It's awesome to be 8-1. It's awesome to have Dak Prescott as our QB of the future.

But I still want to see Romo throw touchdown passes for the Cowboys. A big part of me is upset the Romo era is basically over. You can't have it all, so all Romo fans can do is applaud how he's handling this situation.
This sums up how I feel perfectly.

Round of applause for you good sir.

Nirvana

Reaction score
He wants to play more than ever, pretty much guarantees he is wearing a different jersey next year. I wish he would just accept a back-up role going forward beyond this season, I mean this guy is like glass now, but he made it clear he is not wired that way. The gm side of things, yeah, let's trade him and dump some of that salary.

waldoputty

Reaction score
He wants to play more than ever, pretty much guarantees he is wearing a different jersey next year. I wish he would just accept a back-up role, I mean this guy is like glass now, but he made it clear he is not wired that way. The gm side of things, yeah, let's trade him and dump some of that salary.

It is sad he would leave.
It is great to get a high pick.
I personally dont think he can survive play full time and backup is better for his long term health.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo will be getting Dallas a Rd1 pick in the offseason.

That's not happening and you can quote me on that. At 37 next season and not being able to play two full games the last three times he's seen the field due to injuries and with 28 missed games over the past two seasons if he doesn't play at all this season, no way is anyone trading a #1 for him. The best we'll do is a mid round pick but the odds are he'll end up being released during the offseason.

windjc

Reaction score
That's not happening and you can quote me on that. At 37 next season and not being able to play two full games the last three times he's seen the field due to injuries and with 28 missed games over the past two seasons if he doesn't play at all this season, no way is anyone trading a #1 for him. The best we'll do is a mid round pick but the odds are he'll end up being released during the offseason.
Lol. Like I said, wrong 90% of the time.

Here, this is what being right looks like. Pay attention. Either Tony stays on as the backup and competes for the #1 spot next year in Dallas (most likely) or Dallas gets a conditional #1 for him based on performance.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
As the day has gone by and I've thought about this situation and this speech, the more I've become angry, honestly. Dak is great. Love Dak.

But Tony is the better quarterback. There is simply no question. If we're going to talk about "earning it," no one -- and I mean no one -- has earned the starting QB spot for the Dallas Cowboys more than Tony freaking Romo.

It is a disrespect to Romo, and just a down right poor personnel decision to not start a healthy Tony Romo. We will regret this decision at some point this season.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
As the day has gone by and I've thought about this situation and this speech, the more I've become angry, honestly. Dak is great. Love Dak.

But Tony is the better quarterback. There is simply no question. If we're going to talk about "earning it," no one -- and I mean no one -- has earned the starting QB spot for the Dallas Cowboys more than Tony freaking Romo.

It is a disrespect to Romo, and just a down right poor personnel decision to not start a healthy Tony Romo. We will regret this decision at some point this season.

i feel the same way. I am done arguing with anyone on here about it, I see people citing all this nonsense as to why he shouldn't play and 99% of the time there facts are completely wrong.

So I just want to say I feel the same. Seeing romo sunday standing on the sideline in uniform is going to be the worst feeling ever. He is the better player and has earned the right to at least be given a chance to prove he is still who we all know him to be. The fact that they are not giving him that chance is extremely aggravating and very jerry like to me.

Its going to be worse when they cut him in march and then the jones family will act like he was never here. That stuff really bugs me.

I have no idea how it is going to be with tony in uniform standing on the sideline sunday. I hate today.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score

You summed up my thoughts exactly.

I think the world of Dak Prescott and can't believe how lucky we are to have gotten him how we did. In my minority opinion, I think Tony Romo is by far the better player at this point in time and he should be put back in.

With that said, the only question is whether or not he can stay healthy. It's hard to argue with anyone that believes he can't stay healthy. I don't think he's done but that's just me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol. Like I said, wrong 90% of the time.

Here, this is what being right looks like. Pay attention. Either Tony stays on as the backup and competes for the #1 spot next year in Dallas (most likely) or Dallas gets a conditional #1 for him based on performance.

You must be referring to yourself. lol If I'm wrong that often, then it should be no problem for you to find a prediction I was wrong on, so the challenge is on dig up a prediction I missed after the 2014 season. :thumbup: You're going to be wrong, the Cowboys won't get a conditional #1 for Romo, he hasn't made it past two games the last three times he's seen the field the past year. No deal will be made on "performance" the concern with him is injuries. He didn't lose his job due to poor performance, he lost it because he keeps getting injured and gave Dak an opportunity. Had he just missed a game or two he would have never lost his job.

He was injured long enough for Dak to get a lot of game opportunities to take his job away. If he would have been ready to go by week 3, he would have been back in and the Cowboys would have been happy they found a good backup in Dak. The Cowboys will either get a mid round pick, 3rd to 5th rounder or Romo will be released. His injuries have made him a very high risk player and no one is going to risk a high pick on a 37 year old QB that's missed as many games as Romo has due to injuries. Teams are going to be much more concerned with his ability to stay healthy than his performance. Trust me on this!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
My only concern is no rookie QB has been able to come in and go straight to the Super Bowl. So, are we making a mistake not having a veteran presence at QB? Also, was this his decision or was his hand forced?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
i feel the same way. I am done arguing with anyone on here about it, I see people citing all this nonsense as to why he shouldn't play and 99% of the time there facts are completely wrong.

So I just want to say I feel the same. Seeing romo sunday standing on the sideline in uniform is going to be the worst feeling ever. He is the better player and has earned the right to at least be given a chance to prove he is still who we all know him to be. The fact that they are not giving him that chance is extremely aggravating and very jerry like to me.

Its going to be worse when they cut him in march and then the jones family will act like he was never here. That stuff really bugs me.

I have no idea how it is going to be with tony in uniform standing on the sideline sunday. I hate today.

I don't see this at all as an act of disloyalty by the Joneses. I think they've shown through every step along the way that they're very, very pro-Romo. It's why everyone jokes he's their adopted son. His mural even hangs in Stephen's office. So I certainly don't think they'll act as if he never existed here.

If anything, I see this decision as something the Joneses hate to be making. I think Jerry has made it clear in his comments that Romo is one of the best ever how he feels. I honestly think he's expected this to sort itself out by Dak putting forth a stinker or two, making it very easy to go back to Romo. It just never happened prior to Romo getting healthy.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple -- Tony wants to play. If he can't play here, he'll want to go somewhere that he can. Maybe John Elway will bring him to Denver to do what he did himself in his late '30s -- win a couple of Super Bowls.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
You summed up my thoughts exactly.

I think the world of Dak Prescott and can't believe how lucky we are to have gotten him how we did. In my minority opinion, I think Tony Romo is by far the better player at this point in time and he should be put back in.

With that said, the only question is whether or not he can stay healthy. It's hard to argue with anyone that believes he can't stay healthy. I don't think he's done but that's just me.

I agree that Romo is the better QB right now (if healthy). It's almost unimaginable that a player as established and skilled as Romo, as a longtime vet, wouldn't be better than a rookie who is going through everything for the very first time.

But I think the team is making the right move by not disrupting what's taking place on the field. I said weeks ago that a quarterback is almost like an artist, and Dak's artistic interpretation is going to be different from Romo's. The team is responding to Dak's interpretation of how he plays the position. Doesn't mean Romo couldn't do it just as well, but we KNOW Dak's version is working at an almost unparalleled rate.

I also think it's important to note how non-binding the Joneses have been about this decision. There's nothing I've seen that signals they have closed the book on Tony Romo. In fact, I think they've been quite open about the possibility of there being scenarios where Romo is reinserted. If Dak puts forth a stinker or two the next few weeks, we might be looking at Romo's chance at redemption.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I don't see this at all as an act of disloyalty by the Joneses. I think they've shown through every step along the way that they're very, very pro-Romo. It's why everyone jokes he's their adopted son. His mural even hangs in Stephen's office. So I certainly don't think they'll act as if he never existed here.

If anything, I see this decision as something the Joneses hate to be making. I think Jerry has made it clear in his comments that Romo is one of the best ever how he feels. I honestly think he's expected this to sort itself out by Dak putting forth a stinker or two, making it very easy to go back to Romo. It just never happened prior to Romo getting healthy.

I agree.
Romo knew where the loyalties of the Jones were and the FO were.
Romo then put on the big boy pants and took one for the organization and the team including Dak.

Romo kind of had to do something with what was going on with the press.
This includes FS1 talking about conspiracies including how Romo flew on Jerry's plane to lobby Jerry to get his job back.
Referring to Romo as Tony Romo Jones...