Romo speaks to the media **merged**

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His speech was genuine and showed a lot of class.
I hope he does not get injured badly again trying to be a fully time starter.
Every sports fan should hope every athlete doesn't get injured--much less injured badly. However, this is still football. No player is immune to injury and Romo's history of injuries does not make him a "I hope he doesn't get injured badly" martyr (my words/not yours). Romo's desire to regain a starting position should be enough for anyone in my opinion. His future health is his and his family's concern and not anyone else's. In short, I believe anyone who has appreciated what Romo has done for the franchise should respect his decisions from here on out. He deserves that respect, ESPECIALLY after his statement. Talk about high personal integrity. THAT was an example of it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not in front of a mic, but Fisher compared the situation to what happened with Leary and Collins. I could see it.

Fisher also said that Romo planned to take questions, saw all the media and deviated from that. Didn't want to be the cause of the very thing he was trying to avoid being....a distraction.
Are Fisher's comment's available? I would like to read them because I don't see Leary's or Collins' situations as comparative. I'm assuming here but I guessing he's talking about Jones picking up both gentlemen as undrafted players and paying them as high round draft picks. I recall (or think I recall) press conferences where Jones explained the franchise's atypical actions. What I do not recall seeing is Jones being removed from the public announcements concerning both players altogether and the players themselves solely conveying the reasons why to the cameras. That's what Romo did. Just my take.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Every sports fan should hope every athlete doesn't get injured--much less injured badly. However, this is still football. No player is immune to injury and Romo's history of injuries does not make him a "I hope he doesn't get injured badly" martyr (my words/not yours). Romo's desire to regain a starting position should be enough for anyone in my opinion. His future health is his and his family's concern and not anyone else's. In short, I believe anyone who has appreciated what Romo has done for the franchise should respect his decisions from here on out. He deserves that respect, ESPECIALLY after his statement. Talk about high personal integrity. THAT was an example of it.

Of course he should do whatever he wants.
After his talk, I would rather see him be a backup for the next 2 years in Dallas.

I suspect that is exactly part of the talk Jerry had with Tony over the weekend.
Jerry put the offensive coordinator position out there in public - probably because that is what he wants Romo to do.
If I were Jerry and I cared about Tony like family, I would have had 'that talk' with Tony.

I am neither a lover or hater of Romo.
So please do not try to read any agenda in my post.
Just making observations.

Reactions: BAT

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are Fisher's comment's available? I would like to read them because I don't see Leary's or Collins' situations as comparative. I'm assuming here but I guessing he's talking about Jones picking up both gentlemen as undrafted players and paying them as high round draft picks. I recall (or think I recall) press conferences where Jones explained the franchise's atypical actions. What I do not recall seeing is Jones being removed from the public announcements concerning both players altogether and the players themselves solely conveying the reasons why to the cameras. That's what Romo did. Just my take.
It was in a series of tweets and not a 1:1 comparison. He's comparing it as a veteran who could be a starter for any other team who had to play the good soldier while backing up the young guy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was probably unprecedented. Cannot remember when a change in QB has not been an ugly affair. He put himself out there for the team's good, as well as an organization that really tried to stay 'loyal' to him.

I dont quite agree with the retirement speech thought. I did feel like Romo was talking about his football mortality. He talked about injured for 2 years and someone young coming in etc. Yes, he said the fire burns within him more than ever, but I think he is trying to come to grips himself with what to do in the future.
Bold #1 - True but how pretty or ugly the transition may be is irrelevant. In this case, it is all about a player "taking it on the chin" for the organization when the overwhelmingly normal course of action is a public announcement from the head coach or front office.

Bold #2 - He has already come to grips. That's evident with his making the statement. He knows his time in Dallas as a starter is over barring injury. And he knows he must continue his career as a starting quarterback elsewhere. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Was it a mistake to cut Favre and start Rodgers? Was it a mistake to cut Manning and go with Luck? Super Bowl winning QBs we are talking about here. Not a 2 playoff win QB. It's a mistake to think Romo can accomplish what he hasnt been able to do for 10 years. Daks the QB from now on and if a rookie QB can win a SB, its Dak.

Did either of them take their team to a Super Bowl their first year? Because that's the expectations of the team when we are standing at 8-1 in the middle of the season. Anything can happen but statistics are certainly against it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he should do whatever he wants.
After his talk, I would rather see him be a backup for the next 2 years in Dallas.

I suspect that is exactly part of the talk Jerry had with Tony over the weekend.
Jerry put the offensive coordinator position out there in public - probably because that is what he wants Romo to do.
If I were Jerry and I cared about Tony like family, I would have had 'that talk' with Tony.

I am neither a lover or hater of Romo.
So please do not try to read any agenda in my post.
Just making observations.
Bold--> That's selfishness. Understandable but I think others will respect whatever Romo's decision will be. Thing is he's pretty much stated his desire during his statement. It doesn't exactly jive with remaining a backup in Dallas.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I agree that Romo is the better QB right now (if healthy). It's almost unimaginable that a player as established and skilled as Romo, as a longtime vet, wouldn't be better than a rookie who is going through everything for the very first time.

But I think the team is making the right move by not disrupting what's taking place on the field. I said weeks ago that a quarterback is almost like an artist, and Dak's artistic interpretation is going to be different from Romo's. The team is responding to Dak's interpretation of how he plays the position. Doesn't mean Romo couldn't do it just as well, but we KNOW Dak's version is working at an almost unparalleled rate.

I also think it's important to note how non-binding the Joneses have been about this decision. There's nothing I've seen that signals they have closed the book on Tony Romo. In fact, I think they've been quite open about the possibility of there being scenarios where Romo is reinserted. If Dak puts forth a stinker or two the next few weeks, we might be looking at Romo's chance at redemption.

I agree with your take on what the future might hold.

They haven't thrown dirt on Tony Romo at all and you are right. They have left the door open for anything to happen really.

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl. I think Tony Romo is the best option to do that even in light of what Dak has done and what the team is doing now. With that said, I can't guarantee he'll stay healthy. To me, that's the question going forward overall with Romo.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IF Romo does get traded or cut, wouldn't it be ironic if he went to Houston? Those fans(my friends) have spent 10 years dogging him with endless memes.

Watch him elevate that team to top 5 and they will deny every bad thing said about him :D

waldoputty

Reaction score
Bold #1 - True but how pretty or ugly the transition may be is irrelevant. In this case, it is all about a player "taking it on the chin" for the organization when the overwhelmingly normal course of action is a public announcement from the head coach or front office.

Bold #2 - He has already come to grips. That's evident with his making the statement. He knows his time in Dallas as a starter is over barring injury. And he knows he must continue his career as a starting quarterback elsewhere. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

IMHO, Romo take the lead with the announcement was a sign of respect from the organization.
IMHO, their thinking is that Romo should do it in his own terms because he has earned it.
IMHO, I am not so sure Romo has decided his future. I am thinking Jerry is pushing him to stay with the organization with his public statements about OC etc.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Bold--> That's selfishness. Understandable but I think others will respect whatever Romo's decision will be. Thing is he's pretty much stated his desire during his statement. It doesn't exactly jive with remaining a backup in Dallas.

As a cowboys fan, the most 'selfish' thing is to trade Romo to the highest bidder, hoping to land a high 1st round pick from SF or Jets like a commodity.
Before his announcement, that was my preference.
After his announcement, my preference changed due to gaining more respect for Romo.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the situation was very different in terms of age

IMHO, Romo take the lead with the announcement was a sign of respect from the organization.
IMHO, their thinking is that Romo should do it in his own terms because he has earned it.
IMHO, I am not so sure Romo has decided his future. I thinking Jerry is pushing him to stay with the organization with his public statements about OC etc.
Differences in opinion.

IMHO, Jones and Garrett copped out of presenting the same formal announcement that Romo gave.
IMHO, Garrett (and probably especially) Jones wanted to deflect as much PR backlash from themselves, otherwise either or both gentleman would have shared the spotlight with Romo at the official statement. And to ramble on a bit more, the whole thing was very atypical of Jones--a man who has been a proven overt media attention seeker for nearly three decades.
IMHO, I think you're not accepting the text of what Romo told everyone. It's pretty straight forward and explanatory.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a cowboys fan, the most 'selfish' thing is to trade Romo to the highest bidder, hoping to land a high 1st round pick from SF or Jets like a commodity.
Before his announcement, that was my preference.
After his announcement, my preference changed due to gaining more respect for Romo.
I have zero opposition to an fan's opinion of his or her franchise obtaining draft picks for a player who will not be on the roster for long. Makes sense. However, I spoke of selfishness concerning players' desires. I think it is disrespectful for a human being to not acknowledge the dreams and ambitions of another human being. And Romo was pretty clear about his desire to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I see him being traded, and yes, teams would likely trade for him at his current amount. Though, I could also see him being willing to redo his contract for a new team.

Either way, no way in hell he sticks around to be a backup. He's either playing somewhere else next season, or retiring, IMO. The latter not being likely.
By next season Romo will be a year older, rusty ... What team wants a fragile short-termer?
A relative expensive one, even if he downsizes his paycheck.
Going out on a limb, lads, but if Romo leaves, he leaves to retire.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Differences in opinion.

IMHO, Jones and Garrett copped out of presenting the same formal announcement that Romo gave.
IMHO, Garrett (and probably especially) Jones wanted to deflect as much PR backlash from themselves, otherwise either or both gentleman would have shared the spotlight with Romo at the official statement. And to ramble on a bit more, the whole thing was very atypical of Jones--a man who has been a proven overt media attention seeker for nearly three decades.
IMHO, I think you're not accepting the text of what Romo told everyone. It's pretty straight forward and explanatory.

Yes, differences in opinion.
IMHO, when has Jerry of all people been afraid of PR backlash.
If he took on Hardy knowing full well of the media frenzy, I doubt he is afraid of anything.

Jerry is absolutely a media hound.
IMHO, a media hound would have loved to be in the spotlight with Romo, say a few words about what Romo has meant to the organization, and do a hug after the announcement.
That is why I take that as a sign of respect that Romo gets the spotlight all to himself.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, differences in opinion.
IMHO, when has Jerry of all people been afraid of PR backlash.
If he took on Hardy knowing full well of the media frenzy, I doubt he is afraid of anything.

Jerry is absolutely a media hound.
IMHO, a media hound would have loved to be in the spotlight with Romo, say a few words about what Romo has meant to the organization, and do a hug after the announcement.
That is why I take that as a sign of respect that Romo gets the spotlight all to himself.
Hardy = Romo?

Okay. I'm done.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I have zero opposition to an fan's opinion of his or her franchise obtaining draft picks for a player who will not be on the roster for long. Makes sense. However, I spoke of selfishness concerning players' desires. I think it is disrespectful for a human being to not acknowledge the dreams and ambitions of another human being. And Romo was pretty clear about his desire to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Again, difference in opinion and belief system.
I fully acknowledge Romo's dreams and ambitions of being a superbowl QB.
Acknowledging one's dreams does not mean we necessarily agree with it being the best course of action.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I have zero opposition to an fan's opinion of his or her franchise obtaining draft picks for a player who will not be on the roster for long. Makes sense. However, I spoke of selfishness concerning the players' desires. I think it is disrespectful for a human being to not acknowledge the dreams and ambitions of another human being. And Romo was pretty clear about his desire to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.
Will Romo be like Montana going to the Chiefs or Favre going to Minnesota?
Both were sad things to see.
I don't see Romo wanting to prove himself again (maybe with disastrous results) or learning a new system or leaving his comfort zone in N. Texas.