Romo speaks to the media **merged**

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I don't know why he felt the need to say anything.

“To say the first half of this season has been emotional would be a huge understatement. Getting hurt when you feel like you have the best team you’ve had was a soul-crushing moment for me,” ... “It’s a dark place. Probably the darkest it’s ever been.”

“Dak Prescott, and what he’s done, he’s earned the right to be our quarterback,”

“As hard as that is for me to say, he’s earned that right. He’s guided our team to an 8-1 record, and that’s hard to do. If you think for a second I don’t want to be out there, then you probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact, it may burn now more than ever.”

I can't believe i got hurt when i had the best team i've ever had, it's Dak's team though, i want to play as bad as ever. I don't understand what he's trying to accomplish.

Literally nothing has changed, why verbalize any of this. Romo saying this is Daks team followed by its killing me not to play on the best team i've seen here is just adding pressure to the entire organization and Prescott in particular. If Dak plays anything less than brilliantly down the stretch there was always going to be a cry for Romo, prepared statement or not. This wasn't a 'well no matter what happens, Dak is the QB the rest of the way statement', not at all.

I wish he had saved any comments for the offseason.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Romo be like Montana going to the Chiefs or Favre going to Minnesota?
Both were sad things to see.
I don't see Romo wanting to prove himself again (maybe with disastrous results) or learning a new system or leaving his comfort zone in N. Texas.
You and @waldoputty have a lot in common about this point of view. Gimme? Meet Waldo. Waldo? Meet Gimme. Have fun.

khiladi

Reaction score
Of course he should do whatever he wants.
After his talk, I would rather see him be a backup for the next 2 years in Dallas.

I suspect that is exactly part of the talk Jerry had with Tony over the weekend.
Jerry put the offensive coordinator position out there in public - probably because that is what he wants Romo to do.
If I were Jerry and I cared about Tony like family, I would have had 'that talk' with Tony.

I am neither a lover or hater of Romo.
So please do not try to read any agenda in my post.
Just making observations.

Jerry put the coach position out there for Romo before after his career is done. He basically said he was brilliant. It's all why he forced Garrett into having him in game planning meetings after the 2013 contract.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

“To say the first half of this season has been emotional would be a huge understatement. Getting hurt when you feel like you have the best team you’ve had was a soul-crushing moment for me,” ... “It’s a dark place. Probably the darkest it’s ever been.”

“Dak Prescott, and what he’s done, he’s earned the right to be our quarterback,”

“As hard as that is for me to say, he’s earned that right. He’s guided our team to an 8-1 record, and that’s hard to do. If you think for a second I don’t want to be out there, then you probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact, it may burn now more than ever.”

I can't believe i got hurt when i had the best team i've ever had, it's Dak's team though, i want to play as bad as ever. I don't understand what he's trying to accomplish.

Literally nothing has changed, why verbalize any of this. Romo saying this is Daks team followed by its killing me not to play on the best team i've seen here is just adding pressure to the entire organization and Prescott in particular. If Dak plays anything less than brilliantly down the stretch there was always going to be a cry for Romo, prepared statement or not. This wasn't a 'well no matter what happens, Dak is the QB the rest of the way statement', not at all.

I don't know why it was necessary for a reality television moment either. It is the reality television age though, built for the Jerry Joneses of the world.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Love Romo's story. Love his gun slinger mentality and his devil may care attitude. Love his competitiveness and work ethic. In my book, Romo is not just a ROH slam dunk but deserving of HOF as well. He was the best thing about the Cowboys during our lost in the desert years. And this is on a team that had/has Witten, Ware and Lee.

But Romo's leadership, sportsmanship and character have been even greater. As amazing a QB as he has been (and he's given us a hundred OH SHEET/OMG moments), he's been even more amazing of a person. I hope my kids (not just my son) handle and overcome life's adversities with such determination, with such grace.

waldoputty

Reaction score

He probably felt a need to say something because the media frenzy.
See the FSI Shannon/Skip show alleging a CONSPIRACY about Romo trying to get his job back from Jones - spending time in a football game and a ride on Jerry's jet begging for his job.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Arizona, NYJ, Buffalo and maybe KC or. Minnesota would be fighting over Tony. I don't see Denver in the mix, they will probably run with Lynch.

khiladi

Reaction score
I have always been a Romo fan and defended him here. But I don't get why people are saying Romo is still the better QB. The way I see it Dak has the mind..and more importantly the body, to frustrate teams. He's too young to not get it. He fits the system and that is what is needed. They use the run. He spreads the ball. He doesn't play hero ball. He scrambles only when needed. My fear with Tony is that you still might get a couple of unnecessary Ints because he does like to try and do a little more. I fear his body would be able to juke but his mind will tell him to get down instead of taking off. For all the talk about experience maybe it is better to have a blank slate and follow all progressions like Dak vs having some baggage. Just food for thought. Dak fits what we need to do to a tee.

What we have been needing to do, we finally started doing in the off-season irrespective of who is QB...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...offense-wont-be-limited-prescott-under-center

The fact that we use to rely on two-minute and shotgun and when in shotgun, pass with Romo 85% of the time and shotgun use went dramatically up because we kept sputtering and had nothing going for us shows how much dependent we were on Romo and it actually shows shows who actually was the problem before Linehan came:

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-decoding-linehan-finding-starting-point-2016

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Jerry put the coach position out there for Romo before after his career is done. He basically said he was brilliant. It's all why he forced Garrett into having him in game planning meetings after the 2013 contract.

May be I am reading too much into it.
I just thought that Jerry is pushing Romo to retire earlier than later.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does a calm respectful discussion become this?
My apologies. I had stated I was done with the conversation prior to Gimme's reply. Seemingly he wanted to continue a line of reasoning similar to yours,--ergo, my introduction.

khiladi

Reaction score

It could be. Jerry is all over the place, but he's also basically stated for a few years now Romo is perfectly suited to continue his career coaching.

waldoputty

Reaction score
My apologies. I had stated I was done with the conversation prior to Gimme's reply. Seemingly he wanted to continue a line of reasoning similar to yours,--ergo, my introduction.

Ok, it's cool.
Agree what is there to discuss has been said.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Will Romo be like Montana going to the Chiefs or Favre going to Minnesota?
Both were sad things to see.
I don't see Romo wanting to prove himself again (maybe with disastrous results) or learning a new system or leaving his comfort zone in N. Texas.
I highly doubt Tony would go to a team where he would have to "prove himself". He'd likely be the guaranteed starter any team he would go to.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Didn't Troy get mad when Jerry did this....which led to, "today I retire from the national football league"

Instead of "..... the Dallas consoys"?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Didn't Troy get mad when Jerry did this....which led to, "today I retire from the national football league"

Instead of "..... the Dallas consoys"?

I dont remember the circumstances of Troy's retirement.
Just remember the concussions and Troy running for his life at the end.
Dont want that for Romo.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I highly doubt Tony would go to a team where he would have to "prove himself". He'd likely be the guaranteed starter any team he would go to.

Teams that make sense: Denver and Vikings.
Teams that do not make sense: Jets and SF.

silver

Reaction score
He probably felt a need to say something because the media frenzy.
See the FSI Shannon/Skip show alleging a CONSPIRACY about Romo trying to get his job back from Jones - spending time in a football game and a ride on Jerry's jet begging for his job.

Skip has made a career on innuendo, make believe, being "controversial" and guessing about all things Cowboys.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Skip has made a career on innuendo, make believe, being "controversial" and guessing about all things Cowboys.

Right, if I were Romo, I would like to set the record straight for all the different innuendos and rumors running around.
In 5 minutes, the second guessing and controversies were mostly put to bed.
Better for Romo, Cowboys, Dak, Jerry, Jason, and even the media who has a new angle to the story.