Romo speaks to the media **merged**

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Zeke. Daks 3 10 yard completions were really tough. Romo does that in his sleep!

Steelers are not a glimpse of what they were in 08! Our oline is so much better than 08 and you are out here trying to incite Romo supporters.

Let me know when Dak has 30 4th quarter comebacks to his resume

Romo can turn the ball over in his sleep especially when games are on the line. That's exactly what he did the last time he faced big Ben in Pittsburgh with 4 turnovers including a pick-six in the 4th quarter. The Steelers offense this season is much better than the 22nd ranked offense they had in 08 that got Ben sacked 48 times that year. They had a poor running game that season with nothing close to the talent of Bell in their backfield. Their defense was clearly better but the Steelers team we faced last Sunday was a very tough opponent and Ben shredded us for over 400 yards and 3 TD's which put a lot of pressure on our offense and Dak. We were behind with only 42 seconds left from our own 25 and Dak completed 3 critical passes on that drive that helped us win that game and Romo FANS like you are trying to tear down what he did. If Romo was the QB you wouldn't be trying to tear his game down and his accomplishments this season.

Some of you are being so foolish, you want Dak benched in favor of Romo after he just led us to a franchise tying 8 straight win. Dak is just is scratching the surface of what he will accomplish and he's already added two great comeback wins to his resume in his first 9 games. In the span of a month he's beaten two future HOF QBs on the road who have three championships between them and he didn't flinch. We hit on a special QB in the 4th round who I believe is going to be a top 5 QB within 2-3 years and instead of trying to make excuses for why he's played so well and knocking the opponents we've faced you should be thrilled and supporting him. He has the opportunity as a rookie to lead the Cowboys to the SB but some of you will be disappointed because it's not Romo leading us. This FAN base is so ridiculous that despite a great season they're angry that a rookie QB is leading the charge and not Romo. :facepalm: I don't care who leads the Cowboys at QB i just want to see them win another SB and I believe they have a QB who will eventually get it done.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, if I were Romo, I would like to set the record straight for all the different innuendos and rumors running around.
In 5 minutes, the second guessing and controversies were mostly put to bed.
Better for Romo, Cowboys, Dak, Jerry, Jason, and even the media who has a new angle to the story.
(jumps back into thread)
Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption but do you want any player to directly address anyone in the media?

waldoputty

Reaction score
(jumps back into thread)
Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption but do you want any player to directly address anyone in the media?

the press conference was arranged by the team.
romo was and is a top leader in the organization.
until his press conference, he was still the starting QB of the dallas cowboys who is recovering from injury.
that is a top 5 high profile position in sports, and probably top 3.
you have lebron (kobe), jeter (no replacement) and the dallas QB.
i guess you can add brady and some soccer player or two like the midfielder in manchester united.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I don't know why he felt the need to say anything.

“To say the first half of this season has been emotional would be a huge understatement. Getting hurt when you feel like you have the best team you’ve had was a soul-crushing moment for me,” ... “It’s a dark place. Probably the darkest it’s ever been.”

“Dak Prescott, and what he’s done, he’s earned the right to be our quarterback,”

“As hard as that is for me to say, he’s earned that right. He’s guided our team to an 8-1 record, and that’s hard to do. If you think for a second I don’t want to be out there, then you probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact, it may burn now more than ever.”

I can't believe i got hurt when i had the best team i've ever had, it's Dak's team though, i want to play as bad as ever. I don't understand what he's trying to accomplish.

Literally nothing has changed, why verbalize any of this. Romo saying this is Daks team followed by its killing me not to play on the best team i've seen here is just adding pressure to the entire organization and Prescott in particular. If Dak plays anything less than brilliantly down the stretch there was always going to be a cry for Romo, prepared statement or not. This wasn't a 'well no matter what happens, Dak is the QB the rest of the way statement', not at all.

I wish he had saved any comments for the offseason.

100% wrong. Unlike the previous 9 games this season, for the next 7 games and any playoff games, Tony Romo was going to be suited up and ready to play standing on the sidelines.

He stated very CLEARLY and explicitly his reason for speaking out NOW. Did you even notice what his reasoning was?

Tony Romo said he was not going to let ANY potential QB controversy cause a HUGE DISTRACTION and hurt this team for the remainder of this season.

Did you miss that part? Skim over it? Dismiss what he said or just not believe him?

Because Romo stressed this.

All it would take is just a few bad series or even a bad loss and calls for Romo would begin. Dak would be distracted and looking over his shoulder on the sidelines at a suited and ready-to-go-into-the-game Tony Romo.

Tony Romo made it CRYSTAL CLEAR this was not going to be an issue. He was not going to allow it. There will be no reason for Dak to be looking over his shoulder on the sideline.

Dak is the starter.

For the rest of this season.

Only an injury to Dak will change this.

Could you imagine what the MEDIA would've done, all the forthcoming drama that would've been unleashed if Dak had just ONE bad game with a healthy Romo standing there in uniform? "WHY IS TONY ROMO NOT IN THERE YET?! WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR?!"

Oh no you don't, Tony Romo said yesterday. Not to my team, you're not going to do that. I'm going to kill this drama before it even gets started. Dak is the starter now. I'm the backup. He's not going to have to nervously be looking over his shoulder after a bad series or a bad game wondering if the coaches are about to yank him and put the 'real' starter back in there.

It's not going to happen.

Naturally, many in the media are disappointed. They were looking forward to seven more regular season games and hopefully 3-4 playoff games of stirring up a hell of a lot of drama in Dallas. When will the switch be made? How nervous is Dak about getting pulled after 1 bad game?

And naturally, all the Romo haters hate what Romo did yesterday. It completely undermines their view of him as a ME FIRST kind of guy standing on the sideline, plotting incessantly about how he's going to shaft Dak in the back and steal his starting job back this year.

Well boo hoo hoo. The media and the Romo haters can cry me a river.

giphy.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the press conference was arranged by the team.
romo was and is a top leader in the organization.
until his press conference, he was still the starting QB of the dallas cowboys who is recovering from injury.
that is a top 5 high profile position in sports, and probably top 3.
you have lebron (kobe), jeter (no replacement) and the dallas QB.
i guess you can add brady and some soccer player or two like the midfielder in manchester united.
My bad. My assumption was that you were saying he should address Bayless directly.
(Jumps back out of thread).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I felt the decision had already been made to go with Dak after the win over the Packers. That was the game most felt would be too big for him having to face Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau but Dak shot him down and didn't even flinch. That was our 5th straight win making us 5-1 and by that time Dak and our offense had established a lot of chemistry and we solidified ourselves as one of the best teams in the league. By that point there was no going back to Romo who had already missed too many games to be able to come back sharp enough to keep our 3rd ranked offense rolling. You don't make a QB change when your QB and team are playing great and you're stringing wins together every week but try convincing that to some of the braintrust we have on this board. lol

We would have lost the read option with Romo which has been a big part of the success of our offense. NFL Network diagramed why our offense has been so good and a big part of it has been the read option that Dak provides. They showed all the plays that have opened up including some to Zeke because defenses have to respect Dak's ability to take off and run. With Romo now being ready to play and suit up, the decision had to be made to address the media to put an end to the increasing speculation/distraction and make it official that this is Dak's team and that Romo will be the backup. It was important for the team and everyone to know who are leader at QB is going forward this season.

waldoputty

Reaction score
100% wrong. Unlike the previous 9 games this season, for the next 7 games and any playoff games, Tony Romo was going to be suited up and ready to play standing on the sidelines.

He stated very CLEARLY and explicitly his reason for speaking out NOW. Did you even notice what his reasoning was?

Tony Romo said he was not going to let ANY potential QB controversy cause a HUGE DISTRACTION and hurt this team for the remainder of this season.

Did you miss that part? Skim over it? Dismiss what he said or just not believe him?

Because Romo stressed this.

All it would take is just a few bad series or even a bad loss and calls for Romo would begin. Dak would be distracted and looking over his shoulder on the sidelines at a suited and ready-to-go-into-the-game Tony Romo.

Tony Romo made it CRYSTAL CLEAR this was not going to be an issue. He was not going to allow it. There will be no reason for Dak to be looking over his shoulder on the sideline.

Dak is the starter.

For the rest of this season.

Only an injury to Dak will change this.

Could you imagine what the MEDIA would've done, all the forthcoming drama that would've been unleashed if Dak had just ONE bad game with a healthy Romo standing there in uniform? "WHY IS TONY ROMO NOT IN THERE YET?! WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR?!"

Oh no you don't, Tony Romo said yesterday. Not to my team, you're not going to do that. I'm going to kill this drama before it even gets started. Dak is the starter now. I'm the backup. He's not going to have to nervously be looking over his shoulder after a bad series or a bad game wondering if the coaches are about to yank him and put the 'real' starter back in there.

It's not going to happen.

Naturally, many in the media are disappointed. They were looking forward to seven more regular season games and hopefully 3-4 playoff games of stirring up a hell of a lot of drama in Dallas. When will the switch be made? How nervous is Dak about getting pulled after 1 bad game?

And naturally, all the Romo haters hate what Romo did yesterday. It completely undermines their view of him as a ME FIRST kind of guy standing on the sideline, plotting incessantly about how he's going to shaft Dak in the back and steal his starting job back this year.

Well boo hoo hoo. The media and the Romo haters can cry me a river.

giphy.gif

Romo has done a great service to the team.

If Dak runs into trouble, the media still will be doing that.
It is just the threshold of the trouble is much higher and a lot less trouble can be made.

For now, the media is focused on how great a leader Romo is.
That is plenty for a week or so.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Romo is way too good of a QB to be a back-up but that will be his choice next year

Either he is the best back-up in the league and he takes a huge pay cut to stay in DAL, around 5-7m

OR they work out a sign and trade that will allow him to start somewhere else and get paid 14m+

Thetriplets22

Reaction score
I felt the decision had already been made to go with Dak after the win over the Packers. That was the game most felt would be too big for him having to face Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau but Dak shot him down and didn't even flinch. That was our 5th straight win making us 5-1 and by that time Dak and our offense had established a lot of chemistry and we solidified ourselves as one of the best teams in the league. By that point there was no going back to Romo who had already missed too many games to be able to come back sharp enough to keep our 3rd ranked offense rolling. You don't make a QB change when your QB and team are playing great and you're stringing wins together every week but try convincing that to some of the braintrust we have on this board. lol

We would have lost the read option with Romo which has been a big part of the success of our offense. NFL Network diagramed why our offense has been so good and a big part of it has been the read option that Dak provides. They showed all the plays that have opened up including some to Zeke because defenses have to respect Dak's ability to take off and run. With Romo now being ready to play and suit up, the decision had to be made to address the media to put an end to the increasing speculation/distraction and make it official that this is Dak's team and that Romo will be the backup. It was important for the team and everyone to know who are leader at QB is going forward this season.

We led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with Romo as QB so you're wrong. You think Dak has the experience or can fit balls in small windows against a team like Seattle? 'No way, if Romo isn't out there we just gave Seattle the NFC

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought press conference was unnecessary but that's JMO. Way too early to assume Romo wont be needed this year, anything can happen week to week in the NFL. Unless your Staubach, Montana or Brady Id rather hear it from the coaches than the player. Even Montana didn't have a press conference when Young took over.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Some of those "fans" are simply trolls who are phishing for upset responses. They know they're being idiots...it's their way to feel good. I actually kind of feel sorry for them...nah, not really. Just ignore their posts, you'll feel better.

I second that. I would add that if someone only posts trollish BS, you can use that wonderful feature that lets you just block them and then never even have to see their nonsense again. We have a lot of knowledgeable and smart football fans here at CZ. Their posts are worth reading and responding to. The few trollish buffoons aren't even worth wasting one second of your time on.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Romo is way too good of a QB to be a back-up but that will be his choice next year

Either he is the best back-up in the league and he takes a huge pay cut to stay in DAL, around 5-7m

OR they work out a sign and trade that will allow him to start somewhere else and get paid 14m+

Romo's base salary next year is 14M but his cap hit is obviously much higher.
I would think Stephen is able to restructure it.
It could be something with a 10M cap hit by putting guaranteed money in the future.
That is half of what it would be, and the same as a June 1 cut.
Of course, that would mean Romo is willing to stay a backup.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I second that. I would add that if someone only posts trollish BS, you can use that wonderful feature that lets you just block them and then never even have to see their nonsense again. We have a lot of knowledgeable and smart football fans here at CZ. Their posts are worth reading and responding to. The few trollish buffoons aren't even worth wasting one second of your time on.
I hear you, but I've not done that because I can simply ignore them without putting them on ignore, if that makes any sense.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Romo's base salary next year is 14M but his cap hit is obviously much higher
I would think Stephen is able to restructure it.
It could be something with a 10M cap hit by putting guaranteed money in the future.
That is half of what it would be, and the same as a June 1 cut.
Of course, that would mean Romo is willing to stay a backup.
they can restructure but that means paying 14m for a back-up which is absurd

if he stays it has to be a pay cut and not a restructure.....he has no guaranteed money left so if they guarantee him 14m over 2 years he might take it......ala Tim Duncan

if he wants to start they can do a sign and trade where he is guaranteed 28m over 2 years but either way gives DAL salary cap relief

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with Romo as QB so you're wrong. You think Dak has the experience or can fit balls in small windows against a team like Seattle? 'No way, if Romo isn't out there we just gave Seattle the NFC

No, you're wrong we were 2nd in rushing in 2014 behind Seattle because their duel-threat QB provided a running threat. We're #1 in rushing this season and part of that is due to having a duel-threat QB who's a running threat and has provided 125 yards and 4 TD's rushing. For your information the last time Romo faced Seattle was in preseason and he didn't last one series before having his back broken. Dak is gaining experience every week and is playing like a 10 year veteran. I've seen him fit balls into tight windows with games on the line. He made a tight completion to Witten on Sunday with the clocking running down. Romo takes too many sacks and turns the ball over too much and wouldn't have stood a chance last Sunday after missing his last 15 straight regular season games. Romo has been out there 10 years and we never got past the second round of the playoffs. Not putting all the blame on him but he's made his share of mistakes that have contributed to the Cowboys not going very far with him.

Dak will make mistakes and when he does in big games, the Romo FANS will scream Romo wouldn't have made that same mistake. LOL Romo's career will be best known for the big mistakes he's made at critical moments. Those who don't follow the Cowboys very closely only know Romo for the bobbled snap in Seattle. Luck hasn't been on his side and the same can be said for Don Meredith, Craig Morton and Danny White. All are best remembered for a big mistake in a playoff game. Dak is clutch in the mold of Staubach and Aikman and he's going to change our luck, we're already seeing it. There's something special about him and he's got the team and the fans believing.

For a rookie to come through in come from behind situations, facing a stiff pass rush is something you just don't see. Rookie QBs fold in those situations but not Dak. He's DIFFERENT and the NFL has never seen a rookie QB play to the level he has. We wouldn't get anywhere with Romo with him not having played a regular season game in a full year. He wasn't moving well prior to his broken back and the sacks and turnovers would mount with him. He has a history and if some think things are going to magically change with him after a broken back and not having faced a regular season pass rush in a full year you're dreaming!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I highly doubt Tony would go to a team where he would have to "prove himself". He'd likely be the guaranteed starter any team he would go to.
How naïve, yet so sure of the skills and adaptability of a fragile 37 year old learning a new system in new surroundings. Ya know, lad, not every fan base would be too patient. And for what? As a fill-in for a year or two even if Tony's injury free?
Nay!
He is wiser than that.
He'll sooner retire than provide a show of an aging veteran for fans.

Thetriplets22

Reaction score
No, you're wrong we were 2nd in rushing in 2014 behind Seattle because their duel-threat QB provided a running threat. We're #1 in rushing this season and part of that is due to having a duel-threat QB who's a running threat and has provided 125 yards and 4 TD's rushing. For your information the last time Romo faced Seattle was in preseason and he didn't last one series before having his back broken. Dak is gaining experience every week and is playing like a 10 year veteran. I've seen him fit balls into tight windows with games on the line. He made a tight completion to Witten on Sunday with the clocking running down. Romo takes too many sacks and turns the ball over too much and wouldn't have stood a chance last Sunday after missing his last 15 straight regular season games. Romo has been out there 10 years and we never got past the second round of the playoffs. Not putting all the blame on him but he's made his share of mistakes that have contributed to the Cowboys not going very far with him.

Dak will make mistakes and when he does in big games, the Romo FANS will scream Romo wouldn't have made that same mistake. LOL Romo's career will be best known for the big mistakes he's made at critical moments. Those who don't follow the Cowboys very closely only know Romo for the bobbled snap in Seattle. Luck hasn't been on his side and the same can be said for Don Meredith, Craig Morton and Danny White. All are best remembered for a big mistake in a playoff game. Dak is clutch in the mold of Staubach and Aikman and he's going to change our luck, we're already seeing it. There's something special about him and he's got the team and the fans believing.

For a rookie to come through in come from behind situations, facing a stiff pass rush is something you just don't see. Rookie QBs fold in those situations but not Dak. He's DIFFERENT and the NFL has never seen a rookie QB play to the level he has. We wouldn't get anywhere with Romo with him not having played a regular season game in a full year. He wasn't moving well prior to his broken back and the sacks and turnovers would mount with him. He has a history and if some think things are going to magically change with him after a broken back and not having faced a regular season pass rush in a full year you're dreaming!

Wrong again, the only pash rush he's been seeing is on blitzes. This offensive line has dominated but we haven't faced One legit defense all year. Earl Thomas and Sherman eat rookie QBs alive.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought press conference was unnecessary but that's JMO. Way too early to assume Romo wont be needed this year, anything can happen week to week in the NFL. Unless your Staubach, Montana or Brady Id rather hear it from the coaches than the player. Even Montana didn't have a press conference when Young took over.
Yep.