Romo speaks to the media **merged**

waldoputty

Reaction score
I thought press conference was unnecessary but that's JMO. Way too early to assume Romo wont be needed this year, anything can happen week to week in the NFL. Unless your Staubach, Montana or Brady Id rather hear it from the coaches than the player. Even Montana didn't have a press conference when Young took over.

Thought the Montana/Young transition was not so smooth and Montana was not that 'supportive', unlike what Romo is doing?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast, meet your fear of the future without Tony.
Tsk tsk, Gimme. Get with the program. Your avatar is 1940's bland. You really should adopt Prescott's fashion sense and update your avatar. Prescott knows how to wear a bowtie!

Alweezy

Reaction score
100% wrong. Unlike the previous 9 games this season, for the next 7 games and any playoff games, Tony Romo was going to be suited up and ready to play standing on the sidelines.

He stated very CLEARLY and explicitly his reason for speaking out NOW. Did you even notice what his reasoning was?

Tony Romo said he was not going to let ANY potential QB controversy cause a HUGE DISTRACTION and hurt this team for the remainder of this season.

Did you miss that part? Skim over it? Dismiss what he said or just not believe him?

Because Romo stressed this.

All it would take is just a few bad series or even a bad loss and calls for Romo would begin. Dak would be distracted and looking over his shoulder on the sidelines at a suited and ready-to-go-into-the-game Tony Romo.

Tony Romo made it CRYSTAL CLEAR this was not going to be an issue. He was not going to allow it. There will be no reason for Dak to be looking over his shoulder on the sideline.

Dak is the starter.

For the rest of this season.

Only an injury to Dak will change this.

Could you imagine what the MEDIA would've done, all the forthcoming drama that would've been unleashed if Dak had just ONE bad game with a healthy Romo standing there in uniform? "WHY IS TONY ROMO NOT IN THERE YET?! WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR?!"

Oh no you don't, Tony Romo said yesterday. Not to my team, you're not going to do that. I'm going to kill this drama before it even gets started. Dak is the starter now. I'm the backup. He's not going to have to nervously be looking over his shoulder after a bad series or a bad game wondering if the coaches are about to yank him and put the 'real' starter back in there.

It's not going to happen.

Naturally, many in the media are disappointed. They were looking forward to seven more regular season games and hopefully 3-4 playoff games of stirring up a hell of a lot of drama in Dallas. When will the switch be made? How nervous is Dak about getting pulled after 1 bad game?

And naturally, all the Romo haters hate what Romo did yesterday. It completely undermines their view of him as a ME FIRST kind of guy standing on the sideline, plotting incessantly about how he's going to shaft Dak in the back and steal his starting job back this year.

Well boo hoo hoo. The media and the Romo haters can cry me a river.

giphy.gif

To be honest, this PC atleast gives Dak assurance to not be looking over his shoulder constantly now that Romo is back. Drama is still going to be manufactured. The fact that he is suited is going to créate the situation of a "why not Romo" if anything bad happens regardless.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thought the Montana/Young transition was not so smooth and Montana was not that 'supportive', unlike what Romo is doing?
Montana didn't take it well i agree, and i don't even think there was an announcement, it just happened. But I'd still rather hear it from whoever is in charge, if at all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wrong again, the only pash rush he's been seeing is on blitzes. This offensive line has dominated but we haven't faced One legit defense all year. Earl Thomas and Sherman eat rookie QBs alive.

You're the one who's wrong again, Philly is ranked 6th in defense and has one of the top pass rushes in the league and Dak stood up to it in a come from behind situation, leading us to 2 TD's with the game on the line. Keep trying to cheapen what he's accomplished because you wouldn't be doing that if Romo was the QB. Can't be an stranger FAN base than this one.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Montana didn't take it well i agree, and i don't even think there was an announcement, it just happened. But I'd still rather hear it from whoever is in charge, if at all.

I understand.
Another opinion is that Romo made things a hack a lot easier for Dak by doing what he did.
If it came from the organization, there would be a lot more complaints from the press.
I think Romo made the choice to do it.
It was probably unprecedented and show that he is really a TEAM first player.

Alweezy

Reaction score
We led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with Romo as QB so you're wrong. You think Dak has the experience or can fit balls in small windows against a team like Seattle? 'No way, if Romo isn't out there we just gave Seattle the NFC
The same Seattle that put said QB in the hospital.. If we want to beat Seattle it's going to have to be like 2014 when all 22 pitched in, and letting Zeke bring it home. Don't give up so quick.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF Romo does get traded or cut, wouldn't it be ironic if he went to Houston? Those fans(my friends) have spent 10 years dogging him with endless memes.

Watch him elevate that team to top 5 and they will deny every bad thing said about him :D
I have one friend whose head would positively explode. She's a Texan/Chiefs fan (long story) married to a Cowboys fan and so she says kinda likes the Cowboys, because she likes Dak, but she'd go back to hating them if they played Romo.

It would be epic level ironic if that happened.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You're the one who's wrong again, Philly is ranked 6th in defense and has one of the top pass rushes in the league and Dak stood up to it in a come from behind situation, leading us to 2 TD's with the game on the line. Keep trying to cheapen what he's accomplished because you wouldn't be doing that if Romo was the QB. Can't be an stranger FAN base than this one.
Dont bother arguing. This kid has no idea what he is talking about. Zeke laid into Chancellor in preseason, not to mention, Dak led a perfect drive against the Seattle #1s in that same game when Romo went down.

Thetriplets22

Reaction score

Eagles are terrible on the road, their defense at home is great.

Thetriplets22

Reaction score
Dont bother arguing. This kid has no idea what he is talking about. Zeke laid into Chancellor in preseason, not to mention, Dak led a perfect drive against the Seattle #1s in that same game when Romo went down.

Preseason?? They don't even play complicated schemes or anything. Everything is vanilla

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

This is true. Montana believed he could still start and should have been the starter. Looking back at what he did in KC, he was right, he still could start.

Having said all of this, who cares? If Tony wants to have a PC on this subject, who the hell are any of us to say he should or should not? We owe him, at the very least, that much.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Montana actually did get his job back. Which is amazing considering that he missed basically 2 entire years and his replacement helped the team to the NFC championship and won the MVP. But he passed, and asked to be traded. Why? He felt slighted.
Why was he slighted? He felt that after missing most of 2 seasons and with Young wrapping up the MVP and the team on its way to 14-2 season... he felt that he should have been restored as starter or at least allowed to compete. Literally at the end of the season. Now that is pretty brazen...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I still think Jerry, Jason and Tony should have been present

Jason should have gave a brief statement that Tony was completely healthy and would be active on gameday BUT Dak would continue on as the starting QB.....Tony is a vital member of the team but they just can't argue with the results and momentum

Tony could then give a brief statement that he understands the decision but will be ready for anything that comes up...he is still a competitor but he is a teammate first

Jerry should not say anything but just smile and nod

I think they put too much on Tony and nothing on Garrett, per usual

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jason should have gave a brief statement that Tony was completely healthy and would be active on gameday BUT Dak would continue on as the starting QB.....Tony is a vital member of the team but they just can't argue with the results and momentum

Tony could then give a brief statement that he understands the decision but will be ready for anything that comes up...he is still a competitor but he is a teammate first

I don't think it's practical thinking Jones will be silent around any type of microphone but I mostly agree with everything else since a publicized official statement "had" to be given.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't know all there is to know about this but I have not heard anything, specific to how this came about. For all we know, Tony wanted to do this on his own. I know this, if it were me, I would want it that way. I started on my own, as an UFA, throwing to trashcans down field and I will make this announcement on my own. That's how I, personally, would do it.

JMO

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I don't know all there is to know about this but I have not heard anything, specific to how this came about. For all we know, Tony wanted to do this on his own. I know this, if it were me, I would want it that way. I started on my own, as an UFA, throwing to trashcans down field and I will make this announcement on my own. That's how I, personally, would do it.

JMO
I would agree. I would even go as far as to say that Tony went off the reservation with this. Literally nothing has changed in Tony's status from before to after his rambling sermon, and yet now we have all of these stories and the general feeling that Tony has died. I can't see Garrett in particular being thrilled with that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I would agree. I would even go as far as to say that Tony went off the reservation with this. Literally nothing has changed in Tony's status from before to after his rambling sermon, and yet now we have all of these stories and the general feeling that Tony has died. I can't see Garrett in particular being thrilled with that.
This was a chance for JG to take the reins imo

It would be JG's decision and not Jerry's interference

They can't stop Romo from talking but they can dictate the terms...Tony is our guy, a great leader and important but we are staying with Dak because you can't argue the record....it is one of those good problems

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Obviously he and several others have no idea what they're talking about. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the post that was comparing Dak's rookie season with Kyle Orton's. :facepalm: