Romo to speak to the media today at 4:15 CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Well put. +1.

Tony is gonna go down as one of my all-time favorite Cowboys and I've been a fan since I was a 6 year old in 1982.

The guy got so much undeserved blame when he was in fact our only bright spot and great player for many years. And he always handled all the unfair ridicule with class. I wanted so badly for him to win a Super Bowl, more than I've ever wanted one for myself as a fan. He deserved it.

I know he won't make the Hall of Fame because of the lack of a Super Bowl, but I hope with everything that Jerry/Stephen put him in the Ring of Honor. He deserves it.
Agree 100%.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Please tell me you aren't being serious right now with this garbage.
Can't believe that some are bashing Romo, how many other QB's would be grateful enough to hand over the starting job? Other QB's would get their ego and pride get in the way.

Hand over? Dak took the job from him. You'll never see a press conference this absurd in any other organization. Only in Dallas and only from Romo the Celebrity QB....

gmoney112

Reaction score
Oh, he can hand it to Zeke and win the first one. He can't beat Seattle and New England though.

If he lights up Philly and New York, I'll reconsider. But I've watched him struggle too much to think he can win it all his rookie season. He's just got a tremendous supporting cast.

Lights up Philly and New York? Right now, two of the better passing defenses in the NFL? Seems a little farfetched.

Curious, what are you going to say if Seattle's offense flails against Philly?

waldoputty

Reaction score
I love you for being the classiest QB in the NFL. For putting this team first, despite your own ambitions. For not distracting Dak, or the rest of the team, with your own interests. I love you for all that you have endured while Jerry failed you for your whole career, and not holding a grudge. Never complaining, never blaming anyone else, a stark contrast in this day and age of entitled finger pointing.

What a true champion in heart you are. I love you that you will always be a part of the Dallas Cowboys franchise, championship or not, and I love you that you were a part of our team, our starting QB, for a decade.

Every franchise couldn't be so lucky as to have a true pro like you. I love you that you were my QB and I can't wait to see where your life takes you next. Whether it's back on the field or elsewhere.

Tony Romo. America's QB.

That was tear-jerking.
He did it for the team and the young QB that he saw himself in.
And I am not a Romo fan.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Because this should've been done in a team meeting. Not in front of national media. It's his final "Hey look at me moment". Tell me this, have you EVER in the history of sports seen anything like this take place? An earlier poster stated it best, he's in his celebrity QB form...

Then the media would still be questioning if Romo was okay with it or if the team was just saying he was while behind closed doors, Romo was anything but.

Tony HAD to tell the media from his own mouth or rampant speculation would still be talked and written about ad nauseum about if he was bitter, trying to sabotage Dak, etc. Only from the horses mouth will most media accept that Romo has accepted being backup and wants to help Dak.

Sounds like some posters are set in their thinking about this so no explanation will change their minds anyway, so I am sure I've probably just wasted my time, but whatever.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This was classic DAL......JJones running off a the mouth about Romo being a great OC some day,,,blah blah blah

What should have happened was that JGarrett should've had a press conference to announce Dak is the starting QB for the foreseeable future even now that Tony is healthy....it is one of those good problems and Tony is fine with it......Tony could then read a brief statement but not that OJ letter he just read

Way too awkward

100%

Internet will be going nuts with this one.

Talk shows are going to spend all day on this topic.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Why are we betting on the first Rookie QB in NFL history winning a SB? Do we really even imagine what those odds are?
Cowboys been doing firsts throughout their history. First 0-2 team to win SB, first team with leading rusher to win SB, first wild card team to go to SB. It can happen, now you have a 4th round ROOKIE qb at 8-1. Never say never I say. Everything from here forward is gravy to me regardless.

erod

Reaction score
I still think there's a strong chance he plays this year. It's the one and only chance they have at a Super Bowl. Dak can't outplay our crappy defense against Seattle and New England.

This was a favor to Dak. Romo doesn't want to hang over Dak's head now that he has a uniform on.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I love you for being the classiest QB in the NFL. For putting this team first, despite your own ambitions. For not distracting Dak, or the rest of the team, with your own interests. I love you for all that you have endured while Jerry failed you for your whole career, and not holding a grudge. Never complaining, never blaming anyone else, a stark contrast in this day and age of entitled finger pointing.

What a true champion in heart you are. I love you that you will always be a part of the Dallas Cowboys franchise, championship or not, and I love you that you were a part of our team, our starting QB, for a decade.

Every franchise couldn't be so lucky as to have a true pro like you. I love you that you were my QB and I can't wait to see where your life takes you next. Whether it's back on the field or elsewhere.

Tony Romo. America's QB.
I could not agree more. I so much wanted this great man to win one with this team. Sad day sad day.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Dont rule out Romo from coming in in the playoffs if there is a disaster, or if Dak gets hurt (knock on wood)
True, but I mean assuming all carries on as is. This felt like it signaled the end of his time here one way or the other as a player, to me.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
The problem is, Dak can't win a Super Bowl with this team. He's not ready for Seattle or New England. Romo might be able to pull that off.

He can't start as a 4th round rookie! <Starts>
He won't win! <Wins>
He hasn't faced a real defense! <Beats the Bengals>
He hasn't faced a real REAL defense on the road! <Beats Green Bay>
He hasn't faced any adversity yet! <Beats Philly in OT>
He can't keep up with a prolific offense! <Comes back to beat Pitt>

How far back are you going to move those goalposts, man?

Vero_F250

Reaction score
The problem is, Dak can't win a Super Bowl with this team. He's not ready for Seattle or New England. Romo might be able to pull that off.
Except...he only lasted 3 plays vs Seattle. Lol. I kid I kid.

NE's defense is terrible. Dak would easily lead the offense to enough points to win. It would be up to the defense to get enough stops.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So does anyone else think this speech also singled the end of him in Dallas after this season? At least as a player?
I've been hinting or flat-out saying that he still wants to play. He confirmed that in his statement. I hate proclamations but this is his final year as a player in Dallas. He'll be in another uniform next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.