Roy Williams Rule, Expanded.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
t.o.boys81 said:
Decided to show your face again now that you have another Commander buddy on this thread?

I never left. You act as if it's been hours in between my first response to this thread. I'm surprised YOU'RE still showing your face after saying Roy is the fastest in the league. Tell me, is the sky pink instead of blue in the world you live in? :lmao:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why this rule was expanded?

Last year the rule was put in place to protect players. Ok, fine. But what is the reason for expanding the rule? How many players were injured by the same tackle last season, but by being brought down by the jersey instead of the shoulder pads?

The NFL is looking cowardly and ignorant concerning this rule. It wasn't expanded to protect players, it was expanded to make life easier on the poor refs (yes that was sarcasm).

It's f'in pathetic that they're willing to change the game just to make it easier on refs.

Instead of chaning the game, maybe they should spend some money on teaching these poor refs how to do their f'in jobs.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FootballFan86 said:
I'm not sure if they were all non-jersey "horse collar" tackles. Do you have something to confirm what you said? The fact is that those players were injured due to the "horse collar" tackle.
I was just going off my own memory, but here's some confirmation.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-05-23-horse-collar-tackle-focus_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

"Williams snatched both receivers with a grip from inside the back of their shoulder pads and immediately yanked them to the turf. The technique, or lack thereof, has stirred debate amid concern within the league about rising injury rates."

There's a picture of the Musa Smith takedown but you can't really tell if it is a jersey horse collar or a pads horse collar. From the look of his fingers it appears to be a pads horse collar.

VirusX

Reaction score
Rack said:
Can someone explain to me why this rule was expanded?

Last year the rule was put in place to protect players. Ok, fine. But what is the reason for expanding the rule? How many players were injured by the same tackle last season, but by being brought down by the jersey instead of the shoulder pads?

The NFL is looking cowardly and ignorant concerning this rule. It wasn't expanded to protect players, it was expanded to make life easier on the poor refs (yes that was sarcasm).

It's f'in pathetic that they're willing to change the game just to make it easier on refs.

Instead of chaning the game, maybe they should spend some money on teaching these poor refs how to do their f'in jobs.
:hammer:

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
I never left. You act as if it's been hours in between my first response to this thread. I'm surprised YOU'RE still showing your face after saying Roy is the fastest in the league. Tell me, is the sky pink instead of blue in the world you live in? :lmao:

No, the sky is blue. That's the way God made it. God makes all the best things in the world blue, like the Cowboys.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
DallasDomination said:
Explain something to me.

If your chasing a player can you still grab his jersey and tackle him with a forward motion? Or is that also a penalty?

No, I don't think it would be. This seems to apply to grabbing the back of the jersey and pulling the player backwards.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Dumbest statement ever made on any message board ever.

No that honor would go to "Brandon Noble=Blocker Magnet"...

dontpush

Reaction score
well on the bright side....lets see s. taylor try to bring down glenn or owens or julius or witten or crayton or barber from behind w/o touching their jersey...

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
WOW the NFL is becoming worse than the NBA at some of the rules when it comes to fouls. you might as well just turn the game into flag football, this is really absurd

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
if this new change is true,then roy williams tackle production will drop big time..that dude is always chasing and grabbing from behind..but i agree its a dumb rule...:D

FootballFan86

Reaction score
VirusX said:
Your correct but horse-collar was defined as grabbing the shoulder pads. Which he didnt for those 3 injuries. No one has been hurt but the use of the jersey being pulled down because it has a give to it unlike the shoulder pads.

I can't say I agree with you. They were caused by grabbing the shoulder pads.

Look here: http://www.***BANNED-URL***/s/dws/spe/2005/horse_collar_tackle/

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
redskins1 said:
if this new change is true,then roy williams tackle production will drop big time..that dude is always chasing and grabbing from behind..but i agree its a dumb rule...:D
This doesn't necessarily follow. You're assuming that this is the only way he can tackle.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
The league agrees with you that Roy Williams makes this play because he is too slow to do otherwise? Who in the league told you that? Because I didn't see it anywhere in the article, Norman.

I never said the league stated that. You know this, so bother asking me a loaded question?

dontpush

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
WOW the NFL is becoming worse than the NBA at some of the rules when it comes to fouls. you might as well just turn the game into flag football, this is really absurd

i agree 100%....this is getting out of control.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation. Considering how many serious injuries resulted from the move, it's completely reasonable to since so many players still did it and got away with it last season.
Roy runs a 4.5, and so does your criminal Sean Taylor.

And since when do you need to find the perfect way to tackle someone? You bring them down with whatever you can outside of a weapon. Plus, it wasn't the horse-collar that hurt people, it was throwing himself into the back of their legs and he didn't do that one time last year.

superpunk

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
I never said the league stated that. You know this, so bother asking me a loaded question?

You said that the league agreed with you. You started off the thread by saying;

Gamebreaker said:
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation.

I explained to another Skins fan, that if you (Gamebreaker) want to make idiotic posts stating that Roy tackles that way because he is too slow to do otherwise, you're going to get idiotic responses (like Roy Williams is faster than every Commander) in turn. Dumbness begets dumb responses. You claimed that it didn't apply. Guess what Norman - it does.

I still want to know if Sean Taylor is faster than Roy Williams.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation. Considering how many serious injuries resulted from the move, it's completely reasonable to since so many players still did it and got away with it last season.

Yep, and how many players where injured from the horse collar or similar type tackles last year?

I think Portis hurt his shoulder, that's about it.

For all of the NFL's talk about the horse collar causing injuries, I don't see it. I'm all for making the league safer, but I don't see the horse collar being much more hazardous than most tackles.

Rich........

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
Agree it's getting really bad but the NBA is in another league when it comes to little wussy Crap.

I dont even watch the NBA anymore it's boring as hell.