Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I'm happy to get him, for sure, giving up three choices seems a lot but now we don't have to go WR in the first round next year. If only Romo had not gotten hurt but imagine trying to cover Owens or Williams over the middle, one will have to be single covered.

We can four wide now with Austin and Crayton, how can we be stopped?

Maybe Jerry realized this defence can't stop anyone so we need to outscore them all ;)

diekrazy

Reaction score
Man it took forever to read 15 pages. AWESOME DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

How bout them COWBOYS!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2339353 said:
there is no doubt. Werder confirmed he caved at the last minute. He said the team has done their research on williams and feel he is a great fit...they felt like they couldnt get anything like him where they would be drafting next year.

I am worried about moving a 1. but I think it is okay.

and the number 1 reason jerry will sell the farm, The new stadium.

Jerry is making sure he has a team that can play at a high level for the near future most importantly the first few years in the new stadium where the spotlight will be bigger than ever.

As long as williams and owens jive together. Not jive like pacman and his bodyguard this should be a good deal because of how many picks we have next year.

If williams and owens are pouting after a loss. Lookout.
The media will not focus on Williams following a loss. He's never really given anything worthy of promoting as negative material. On the other hand, the media will literally pounce on Owens and wait for him to say ANYTHING they can either air as is or twist to their heart's content. That's a realistic danger with Owens.

btcutter

Reaction score
so is TO going to be happy that someone will take some pressure off so he can get open more or is his going to melt down because 1). Roy is going to get a HUGE contract. 2) only 1 ball for TO, Witten, Barber and Roy...not to mention Felix

btw, still doesn't solve the fact that our OL SUCKED this past several weeks and our D isn't so hot either.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I gotta say I am not really suprised... lately there have been alot of stories "the Lions are not trading Roy"

so this makes sense lol

I dont wanna read the whole thread.... any particulars?

draft picks etc?

thanks

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'll never be pissed about spending a 1st rounder on a good player with Bobby Carpenters sorry *** on the team.

Until hes gone, no matter what the team does with a 1st rounder, it will look genius.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2339398 said:
I gotta say I am not really suprised... lately there have been alot of stories "the Lions are not trading Roy"

so this makes sense lol

I dont wanna read the whole thread.... any particulars?

draft picks etc?

thanks

1st 3rd and 6th and we get a 7th and Roy Williams. Apparently Jerry signed him long term also.

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2339401 said:
I'll never be pissed about spending a 1st rounder on a good player with Bobby Carpenters sorry *** on the team.

Until hes gone, no matter what the team does with a 1st rounder, it will look genius.

Carp is a beast that just needs a chance.......

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
In regards to Roy's lackluster stats this year and the trade, in general:

The Lions threw the ball to Roy Williams 39 times this season and he caught 17 of those. That means 22 passes thrown his way were incomplete. With that in mind, only 3 of those 22 passes were drops. Williams low stats this year are a direct correlation to bad QB play. As a team, the Lions are 26th in the league in terms of completion percentage. That's worse than the Rams. Lions QBs have thrown the second most INTs in the league.

We gave up a 1st a 3rd and a 6th to get Roy Williams and a 7th. The 6th and 7th round picks are so close in value that they cancel each other out in my eyes. So the deal was, basically, a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams. Let's say that we finish 10-6 this year and end up with the 23rd pick in the draft. Our first and our third would give us enough ammo to move up to about the 17th or 18th pick in the draft. So the question just becomes, is Roy Williams worth the 17th or 18th pick in the draft? I would say yes.

Now, lets look and see what WRs have been drafted between picks 17 and 32 in the past 5 years.

2008: None
2007: Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez
2006: Santonio Holmes
2005: Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, Roddy White
2004: Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woords

10 WRs have been drafted between picks 17 and 32 since 2004. Of those 10, the quality ones are White, Holmes, Gonzalez and Bowe. 4 out of 10. Of those 4, which ones would you rather have than Roy Williams? I think you can only make cases for Roddy White and Dwayne Bowe. So, that's 2 out of 10. There is an 80% chance that Roy Williams will be better than anyone we could draft next year.

It's a fantastic trade.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2339353 said:
there is no doubt. Werder confirmed he caved at the last minute. He said the team has done their research on williams and feel he is a great fit...they felt like they couldnt get anything like him where they would be drafting next year.

I am worried about moving a 1. but I think it is okay.

and the number 1 reason jerry will sell the farm, The new stadium.

Jerry is making sure he has a team that can play at a high level for the near future most importantly the first few years in the new stadium where the spotlight will be bigger than ever.

As long as williams and owens jive together. Not jive like pacman and his bodyguard this should be a good deal because of how many picks we have next year.

If williams and owens are pouting after a loss. Lookout.
And just to be clear... I like Roy. A lot. He's never been in any trouble and from what I've heard of him in interviews, he's very much an old-school "Yes sir, no sir" kind of guy. He may have been frustrated at being in Detroit, but I don't think he's a big drama queen like so many WRs. In short, he's the kind of guy I like to root for.

I just think we overpaid badly.

And I don't like that Flo is old and we have no clear replacement for him. Canty and Colombo's deals are coming up and we don't have a ton of money. Bradie is marginal at best and Zach is old with no one behind him. Spears is a JAG and always will be.

We need to replace these guys that play in the trenches, and instead we go for the fantasy football positions.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
masomenos85;2339413 said:
In regards to Roy's lackluster stats this year and the trade, in general:

The Lions threw the ball to Roy Williams 39 times this season and he caught 17 of those. That means 22 passes thrown his way were incomplete. With that in mind, only 3 of those 22 passes were drops. Williams low stats this year are a direct correlation to bad QB play. As a team, the Lions are 26th in the league in terms of completion percentage. That's worse than the Rams. Lions QBs have thrown the second most INTs in the league.

We gave up a 1st a 3rd and a 6th to get Roy Williams and a 7th. The 6th and 7th round picks are so close in value that they cancel each other out in my eyes. So the deal was, basically, a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams. Let's say that we finish 10-6 this year and end up with the 23rd pick in the draft. Our first and our third would give us enough ammo to move up to about the 17th or 18th pick in the draft. So the question just becomes, is Roy Williams worth the 17th or 18th pick in the draft? I would say yes.

Now, lets look and see what WRs have been drafted between picks 17 and 32 in the past 5 years.

2008: None
2007: Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez
2006: Santonio Holmes
2005: Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, Roddy White
2004: Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woords

10 WRs have been drafted between picks 17 and 32 since 2004. Of those 10, the quality ones are White, Holmes, Gonzalez and Bowe. 4 out of 10. Of those 4, which ones would you rather have than Roy Williams? I think you can only make cases for Roddy White and Dwayne Bowe. So, that's 2 out of 10. There is an 80% chance that Roy Williams will be better than anyone we could draft next year.

It's a fantastic trade.

Roddy white and Holmes are studs!!!!!!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2339420 said:
And just to be clear... I like Roy. A lot. He's never been in any trouble and from what I've heard of him in interviews, he's very much an old-school "Yes sir, no sir" kind of guy. He may have been frustrated at being in Detroit, but I don't think he's a big drama queen like so many WRs. In short, he's the kind of guy I like to root for.

And I don't like that Flo is old and we have no clear replacement for him. Canty and Colombo's deals are coming up and we don't have a ton of money. Bradie is marginal at best and Zach is old with no one behind him. Spears is a JAG and always will be.

We need to replace these guys that play in the trenches, and instead we go for the fantasy football positions.

agreed. I think columbo will be back. The defensive line is very shaky to me and it needs to be addressed.

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
Aesop;2339409 said:
what does the contract extension look like ?

contract.jpg

Don't tell anyone, I snuck a quick picture in Jerry's office, I'm heading through the air duct as I type this on my black berry.

newlander

Reaction score
I agree choc. lab but don't kill the fantasy football "buzz" of all the playas in this forum. They're all too giddy to be bothered with reality right now.....

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
We just improved our defense by seriously upgrading our offense. Just something to consider.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2339420 said:

Overpaid or overpaid badly? I think Dallas overpaid, but not badly. Just a tad. They had a lot of picks to work with. If they only had a typical allotment of draft picks to work with then I would agree that they overpaid badly. Since they did have the extra picks, it is not that bad of a deal. They are not hamstrung in next years draft and they didn't give up draft picks for 2010. Not that bad at all even though I was hoping not to lose a 1st.