Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
newlander;2339290 said:
I have mixed feelings: the guy is an incredible talent, but I live in Michigan and he was very inconsistent with routes and catching the ball. On the other hand, EVERY player that puts on the honolulu blue and silver just........well, they go down a notch or two. That jersey is like cryptonite, except for Barry Sanders. Kitna is brutal for sure and so is the oline so his so-so stats don't bother me. I'm more than willing to give it a shot. 2 questions for you guys:

1) I really think RW is more of a middle of the field guy that can make tough catches in traffic. He CAN get deep but he isn't a burner and I really think TO and Austin will be doing that. Now we've got Witten, RW and Crayton for all the underneath to intermediate stuff that quite frankly Johnson only throws now anyway. (RW will also be an UNBELIEVABLE weapon on the goal line, where we've struggled getting people open for 2 seasons now) Brad did throw a nice deep ball or two in preseason, but.....it's not his strength. So, I see alot of you saying RW is the "deep threat" agree or disagree with what I said here?

2) You guys have seen him in college: I've only seen his inconsistent pro career (admittedly with a crappy team NOT all his fault) Question is this: can this guy LEAD? We need more leadership, just wondering if he could help......

Going by most Cowboy fan standards, there are only maybe two "real" deep threats in the NFL.

Roy Williams is a great deep threat. His weakness is that he's not a real fan of making the touch catch over the middle.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SacredStar;2339595 said:
Is this fact?......I've been told Dallas has 8.
We have...

our 2nd
a 3rd that is either ours or Cleveland's
Detroit's 4th
our 5th
the Titans 5th for Pacman being suspended.
Miami's 6th
Our 7th
Detroit's 7th

Plus 3 Compensatory picks for losing Nate, Julius, and Jacques.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339624 said:
Honestly, we should made this move in the preseason. I knew this team would struggle without another legitimate WR opposite of Owens. I knew defenses would focus on shutting down Owens and taking their chances with whoever was on the other side. This is not only going to open Owen's game but it's going to improve the running game as well.

Was Detroit willing to make this trade earlier? Would the price have been higher or lower had it occurred earlier?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
joseephuss;2339637 said:
Was Detroit willing to make this trade earlier? Would the price have been higher or lower had it occurred earlier?
Detroit wanted DeMarcus Ware the last time Jerry talked to them.(Matt Millen)

Ender

Reaction score
I just dont understand how people can be mad about this move. Just proves that some people will never be happy no matter what we do. Great move. There is no receiver in this years draft that compares to RW. He put up number with Kitna, so i think he's be just fine with Romo.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2339630 said:
Going by most Cowboy fan standards, there are only maybe two "real" deep threats in the NFL.

Roy Williams is a great deep threat. His weakness is that he's not a real fan of making the touch catch over the middle.

the notion that Roy WIlly is a possession receiver is ridiculous, he averages a very healthy 15 yards per catch for his career

he can play like one, minus the middle of the field, using his body like a possession receiver, but he can get deep as well

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
joseephuss;2339637 said:

There were rumors of this trade this summer. I don't know the details. Regardless, I forgot the Roy Williams was going to be a free agent at the end of this season. With that in mind, I think this is a horrible trade. We gave up too much. And we stood the best chance of signing him as a free agent since he was a Cowboys fan and grew up in Texas in addition to the fact that we are contenders and are likely to offer him the most money.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339763 said:
There were rumors of this trade this summer. I don't know the details. Regardless, I forgot the Roy Williams was going to be a free agent at the end of this season. With that in mind, I think this is a horrible trade. We gave up too much. And we stood the best chance of signing him as a free agent since he was a Cowboys fan and grew up in Texas in addition to the fact that we are contenders and are likely to offer him the most money.

We just signed him to 5 more years. He's ours till 2013.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Ender;2339754 said:
I just dont understand how people can be mad about this move. Just proves that some people will never be happy no matter what we do. Great move. There is no receiver in this years draft that compares to RW. He put up number with Kitna, so i think he's be just fine with Romo.

People are mad because we stood a good chance of getting him in free agency without trading picks to acquire him. And who is to say that getting this year guarantees us a championship. And by trading a 1st and 3rd round pick, you basically want a guarantee. Even if Roy Williams plays well for us, we have too many other problems to say that we can contend for a ring. We don't know how long Romo will be out and how much his injury will affect his passing. In addition, we have major problems at cornerback. Terrance Newman could likely be out for the season. Groin injuries don't heal quickly and even when players "heal" from those injuries, they are never at 100% especially for that season. And now there is talk of us cutting Adam Jones. This is not a good time to give up picks.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
DIAF;2339770 said:
We just signed him to 5 more years. He's ours till 2013.

But we could have done that without giving up picks because he is a free agent at the end of this season. And we stood the best chance of acquiring him since we are contenders, are willing to offer a lot of money and he is from Texas and grew up supporting the team.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339786 said:
People are mad because we stood a good chance of getting him in free agency without trading picks to acquire him.

And how would you propose getting a player who has been franchise tagged without giving up any picks?

Or do you actually think the Lions wouldn't use the tag on him?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2339793 said:
And how would you propose getting a player who has been franchise tagged without giving up any picks?

Exactly...people forget that it's FREE agency in name only...if the player is that good you WILL have to give up something to get him regardless.

Great move!!

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2339793 said:

Yes, they could use the tag on him. But even if they do, do you really think they would demand a 1st round pick AND a third round pick for him?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339841 said:
Yes, they could use the tag on him. But even if they do, do you really think they would demand a 1st round pick AND a third round pick for him?
Yes, they would have.

No, I am not guessing.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile;2339844 said:
Yes, they would have.

No, I am not guessing.

And you know that how? Furthermore, the Cardinals are having contract issues with Anquan Boldin who wants to be traded. Granted Roy Williams is better but how much better is he than Boldin? Do you think the Cardinals would have demanded a 1st and a 3rd round pick for Boldin as well?

gazmc_06

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339792 said:
But we could have done that without giving up picks because he is a free agent at the end of this season. And we stood the best chance of acquiring him since we are contenders, are willing to offer a lot of money and he is from Texas and grew up supporting the team.

We want to win NOW, not wait for next season....based on our performances so far that wasn't going to happen. Roy put's us back as a top contender for this year. I really don't see any reason to complain.

vicjagger

Reaction score
zrinkill;2339605 said:
ridiculous ...... Roy Williams is every bit worth what we gave for him.

I hope you're right, but I don't understand how you justify your opinion. IIRC, the guy has one average season under his belt. I'd rather have the 3 picks. Let's hope I'm wrong.