Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
gazmc_06;2339854 said:
We want to win NOW, not wait for next season....based on our performances so far that wasn't going to happen. Roy put's us back as a top contender for this year. I really don't see any reason to complain.

What makes you think that adding Roy Williams will help us win now especially considering all the problems we are having at corner and Romo's injury?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339841 said:
Yes, they could use the tag on him. But even if they do, do you really think they would demand a 1st round pick AND a third round pick for him?

Do you really think they would settle for anything less than a first-round pick?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339853 said:
And you know that how? Furthermore, the Cardinals are having contract issues with Anquan Boldin who wants to be traded. Granted Roy Williams is better but how much better is he than Boldin? Do you think the Cardinals would have demanded a 1st and a 3rd round pick for Boldin as well?
James, if you have to ask me that then you have NOT been paying attention. I've been sharing info on Roy coming to Dallas since last September (as in September 2007).

I have no inside info on Boldin and what it would take. For the record I said Steve Smith of Carolina was the perfect option, Boldin, 2nd, and Roy 3rd.

We got a WR who will imporve this team. Not sure why that is objectionable to some.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339853 said:
And you know that how? Furthermore, the Cardinals are having contract issues with Anquan Boldin who wants to be traded. Granted Roy Williams is better but how much better is he than Boldin? Do you think the Cardinals would have demanded a 1st and a 3rd round pick for Boldin as well?

Boldin is also injured right now, so he could not have helped Dallas at the moment. That probably factored into the equation. The Cardinals may end up franchising Boldin in the off season and demanding some high draft picks in return.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
vicjagger;2339857 said:
I hope you're right, but I don't understand how you justify your opinion. IIRC, the guy has one average season under his belt. I'd rather have the 3 picks. Let's hope I'm wrong.
well how many wr have had great seasons with joey harrington and jon kitna throwing to them?

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339860 said:
What makes you think that adding Roy Williams will help us win now especially considering all the problems we are having at corner and Romo's injury?

Roy does help Dallas now. That does not guarantee a SB win, but he does help them.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2339865 said:
Do you really think they would settle for anything less than a first-round pick?

No, it's not likely but giving up a 1st round pick is better than giving up a first and a third round pick. I think they would have settled for a first round pick alone.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339860 said:

We can't move the ball anywhere near the way we expected, Roy will free up T.O. to make plays as well as making plays himself. I really don't see how people can miss what Roy will do for us.

Romo will miss 3 games (bye week) and when he comes back we will still be in decent shape.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;2339875 said:
James, if you have to ask me that then you have NOT been paying attention. I've been sharing info on Roy coming to Dallas since last September (as in September 2007).

I have no inside info on Boldin and what it would take. For the record I said Steve Smith of Carolina was the perfect option, Boldin, 2nd, and Roy 3rd.

We got a WR who will imporve this team. Not sure why that is objectionable to some.

I don't think having another pro bowler is the objection, it's the price. How many WR's, not counting the elite ones that have no price, would you give this price for? It's a pretty short list.

Hopefully we get everything we want out of the kid. Again, no one is angry we have another quality receiver.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339887 said:
No, it's not likely but giving up a 1st round pick is better than giving up a first and a third round pick. I think they would have settled for a first round pick alone.

And you don't think any other team would be willing to offer a first-round pick?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2339905 said:
And you don't think any other team would be willing to offer a first-round pick?

If another team had been willing to offer a 1st, 3rd and 5th without the 7th rounder, he would have been on their team. He obviously goes to the highest bidder.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile;2339875 said:

Actually, I haven't been here so it has nothing to do with my attention span. Perhaps you can tell me in a nutshell as to what inside information you have that states the Lions would demand a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

I live in Phoenix and based on my conversation with Mike Jurecki last Wednesday, the Cardinals would accept less than a first round pick for Boldin particularly if it was multiple pick deal such as a 2nd and a 4th. The Cardinals have too much money vested into WR especially so it would be unlikely that they would be able to sign Anquan to the type of deal he covets. And with the performance of Steve Breaston, the Cardinals are even more willing to make this deal. Put this way, it's unlikely the Cowboys would have had to give up a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Anquan Boldin. I think Roy Williams is better than Anquan but I would rather have Anquan and my 1st round pick than Roy for my 1st, 3rd and 6th

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;2339921 said:
If another team had been willing to offer a 1st, 3rd and 5th without the 7th rounder, he would have been on their team. He obviously goes to the highest bidder.
If that team could sign him to a long term deal only.

That is what people keep overlooking.

neosapien23

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339887 said:

No they wouldn't have. Dallas had to trump teams like Philly to get Roy Willy. Dallas needed a young playmaking WR. Who could Dallas have drafted that would have been better than Williams in the first round? For that matter, if they end up picking in the high 20s, who could they have gotten by trading their 1st and a 3rd to move up and take a WR? Williams was the perfect choice for now and the future. He will help right now and will serve as a future number 1 when TO is done. It will allow Austin more time to mature before having to become a number 2.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339938 said:
Actually, I haven't been here so it has nothing to do with my attention span. Perhaps you can tell me in a nutshell as to what inside information you have that states the Lions would demand a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

I live in Phoenix and based on my conversation with Mike Jurecki last Wednesday, the Cardinals would accept less than a first round pick for Boldin particularly if it was multiple pick deal such as a 2nd and a 4th. The Cardinals have too much money vested into WR especially so it would be unlikely that they would be able to sign Anquan to the type of deal he covets. And with the performance of Steve Breaston, the Cardinals are even more willing to make this deal. Put this way, it's unlikely the Cowboys would have had to give up a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Anquan Boldin. I think Roy Williams is better than Anquan but I would rather have Anquan and my 1st round pick than Roy for my 1st, 3rd and 6th

I personally think Boldin is a better player than Roy, but I still love the addition for him.

If that deal with Boldin was there then I'm sure someone would have traded for him, that is why I don't believe it to be true.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TheCount;2339921 said:

Uhhh.....no he doesn't. He would have to be willing to sign an extension with a team before they would be willing to trade for him. The final decision on any trade was in Roy's hands, not the Lions.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2339905 said:

But you know for sure that another team would have offered a 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick for him? I really don't know the answer to that and I'm not going to pretend I do know the answer. However, I just think we gave up a lot for him when players like Anquan Boldin are seeking a trade from Arizona. Has another WR of Roy Williams' calibre received more than 1st and a 3rd pick outside the Joey Galloway trade?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;2339949 said:
If that team could sign him to a long term deal only.

That is what people keep overlooking.

If they can't then he either gets franchised (and we get him in a year and a half) or becomes a FA and we pick him up for just money, instead of money and picks.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to this but I was under the impression Roy Williams had the final say as to where he would be traded? Is that not true?

perrykemp

Reaction score
Personally I think this trade was Fool's Gold. The Cowboys are ranked #3 in the NFL (without Roy Williams) and until the last week or so were widely considered to be the best offense BY FAR in the NFL.

The defense needs help, especially with pass coverage -- and this trade doesn't help them a bit with that problem.

Remember, I know it's cliche, but defense wins championships. The Giants won the SB last year with good defense and a average defense. The Patriots teams that won the Superbowls <good> offenses, however, they had very good defenses.

This team just didn't <<NEED>> another wide reciever. Not with TO, Witten, and an emerging Miles Austin.