Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
This is awesome!!!! On another note, now all the goodie-two shoes in the forum can get together for a group hug and feel nice and warm and fuzzy....

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Even the biggest pessimist has to admit this improves the team, both now and for the long run. Owens turns 35 in December, Williams will turn 27. I think that's the very bottom line.

I think it was mamacita who said Jerry wanted some good publicity today. That definitely has to be factored in. He paid a higher price than he was wanting to, but (in a PR way) he's paying for his Pacman mistake. And you do have to call that a mistake, barring some kind of dramatic tunaround.

This trade also means (for anyone who might have harbored illusions to the contrary) that we're giving up any idea that we could be a dominating run team, at least this year. It's pass to set up the run now more than ever.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339938 said:
Actually, I haven't been here so it has nothing to do with my attention span. Perhaps you can tell me in a nutshell as to what inside information you have that states the Lions would demand a 1st and a 3rd round pick.
Since September 2007 I have given a regular report on attempts to acquire Roy. I had an inside source. I will not reveal who. You can doubt this source if you wish. Won't bother me one bit today. You can put whatever weight you wish to on this information. What I am telling you right now is indisputable, but you are welcome to giv eit your best shot.

I can tell you that we never looked to acquire any other WR for this Offense. So no matter how much the price for Boldin might have been, he was never the focus. Nor was TJ Houshmanzadeh or Chad Ocho Cinco or Torry Holt. Speculation on them is irrelevant.

This deal is about what we did get and hwo it impacts the team. Let's look at this aspect.

Jerry called TO and TO was "ecstatic," and asked Jerry for Roy's # so he could call him.

Roy signed a long term deal. Anquan would have to re-work his current deal plus sign long term. There is an advantage to Roy over Anquan.

Roy is only 26 and is a Pro Bowl caliber WR as is Boldin, so it's not like we got scrod.

Roy is a lifelong Cowboys fan. You aren't going to believe how motivated this guy is to win and to be here.

cowboybacker4life

Reaction score
perrykemp;2339519 said:
Was offense the problem on this team? I don't see how Roy Williams helps the Cowboys dramatically this year -- especially with the emergence of Miles Austin.
Whay can't anyone understand. There has been no emergence of anyone, T.O has been taken out of the game because we have not been able to do anything on the other side, and yes our offense has struggled because of it. Now we have someone they have to contend with. Welcome to the team Roy and yes we need u despite what some of these know it all thinks.

silver

Reaction score
el_chevo;2340006 said:
This is awesome!!!! On another note, now all the goodie-two shoes in the forum can get together for a group hug and feel nice and warm and fuzzy....

yay! i want a group hug too :p:

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
I forgot to metion...somebody check Roy Williams for tattoos and other signs that he could be a thug...we may not want him after this year...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339994 said:
I don't know the answer to this but I was under the impression Roy Williams had the final say as to where he would be traded? Is that not true?
He did, based on the fact that he is an UFA at the end of this weason.

At least...he was. Not any more.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
perrykemp;2340000 said:
Personally I think this trade was Fool's Gold. The Cowboys are ranked #3 in the NFL (without Roy Williams) and until the last week or so were widely considered to be the best offense BY FAR in the NFL.

The defense needs help, especially with pass coverage -- and this trade doesn't help them a bit with that problem.

Remember, I know it's cliche, but defense wins championships. The Giants won the SB last year with good defense and a average defense. The Patriots teams that won the Superbowls <good> offenses, however, they had very good defenses.

This team just didn't <<NEED>> another wide reciever. Not with TO, Witten, and an emerging Miles Austin.
I completely disagree with that. I think we needed it very badly and have ever since Glenn went down last year.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
gazmc_06;2339959 said:
I personally think Boldin is a better player than Roy, but I still love the addition for him.

If that deal with Boldin was there then I'm sure someone would have traded for him, that is why I don't believe it to be true.

Boldin is under contract with the Cardinals for 3 more seasons. He was seeking a contract extension because Fitzgerald just received on. The Cardinals and Boldin failed to agree to an extension so Boldin demanded to be traded just prior to the start of the season. Boldin said he would check out his options at the end of this season and would put contract talks aside during the season. If he and the Cardinals fail to agree to an extension, then Boldin will ask for a trade again. I don't know how many teams had seriously made the Cardinals any offers. Mike Jurecki, the Cardinals insider, told me that he isn't aware of any trade proposals that were made to the Cardinals during the time Boldin made his trade request in August.

silver

Reaction score
Hostile;2340010 said:
Since September 2007 I have given a regular report on attempts to acquire Roy. I had an inside source. I will not reveal who. You can doubt this source if you wish. Won't bother me one bit today. You can put whatever weight you wish to on this information. What I am telling you right now is indisputable, but you are welcome to giv eit your best shot.

I can tell you that we never looked to acquire any other WR for this Offense. So no matter how much the price for Boldin might have been, he was never the focus. Nor was TJ Houshmanzadeh or Chad Ocho Cinco or Torry Holt. Speculation on them is irrelevant.

This deal is about what we did get and hwo it impacts the team. Let's look at this aspect.

Jerry called TO and TO was "ecstatic," and asked Jerry for Roy's # so he could call him.

Roy signed a long term deal. Anquan would have to re-work his current deal plus sign long term. There is an advantage to Roy over Anquan.

Roy is only 26 and is a Pro Bowl caliber WR as is Boldin, so it's not like we got scrod.

Roy is a lifelong Cowboys fan. You aren't going to believe how motivated this guy is to win and to be here.

not to mention we won't have to sweat jerry going for another LB in next year's draft. :abuseme:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339979 said:
But you know for sure that another team would have offered a 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick for him?

I didn't say that.

You said you think the Lions "would have settled for a first-round pick alone."

Do you think any other team would be willing to offer its first-round pick if Roy was franchise tagged next offseason?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Finally I can get me a new Roy Williams Jersey.

BTW, exactly how are they going to do their names, since they are both Roy Williams?

I hope he keeps #11....since that is my favorite # and he is my favorite NFL WR.

Too bad we can't get my two favorite CBs too......Vasher and Ross. If we could that would be super sweet.

I am so excited about today's news. Finally we have a Longhorn back in Big D. Defenses will definitely have to pick their poison now. Our offense is going to be like Indy's. Two stud WRs, a stud TE, and a stud RB....you can't cover them all.....

If Jerruh was here right now, I would kiss him......

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2340073 said:

BTW, exactly how are they going to do their names, since they are both Roy Williams?

I hope he keeps #11....since that is my favorite # and he is my favorite NFL WR.

Too bad we can't get my two favorite CBs too......Vasher and Ross. If we could that would be super sweet.

I am so excited about today's news. Finally we have a Longhorn back in Big D. Defenses will definitely have to pick their poison now. Our offense is going to be like Indy's. Two stud WRs, a stud TE, and a stud RB....you can't cover them all.....

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS.

the new Roy Williams will probably have an "R." on his jersey

silver

Reaction score
Biggems;2340073 said:

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS.

Roy Lee Williams wears 38
Roy Eugene Williams wears 11

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
Wow. Late to the Real Roy Williams party, but it sure is nice.

I could quibble with the price, but Jerry was desperate and everyone knew it.

I'm just glad it wasn't 2 #1s or the first three picks this year.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;2340040 said:
I completely disagree with that. I think we needed it very badly and have ever since Glenn went down last year.

Ah, so here's a little bit of a different question. With good knees, who do you think would have been better opposite T.O., Glenn or Roy?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
parcells316;2339040 said:
We currently have 9 draft picks.

2nd
3rd (Cleveland)
4th, 4th (from Detroit)
5th, 5th (Tennessee)
6th (Miami)
7th, 7th (Detroit)

If we get 3 comp picks for Julius, Nate Jones, and Reeves we'll have 12 selections. I think Jerry values draft picks.

Great post.....kudos to you.....

this was a great trade. yes we gave up 3 picks.....but we got one helluva player and a pick in return. We have been doing rather well with our late rounds picks in recent years too. Also, thanks to PacMan, we got that pick from Tennessee.

We just solved our long term puzzle for a WR. Now we don't have to draft one right away. We can use the picks we have to bolster our OL, LB, DB, and backup QB position, as well as possibly move some picks forward to the 2010 draft.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silver;2340098 said:
Roy Lee Williams wears 38
Roy Eugene Williams wears 11

hahahaha........

How about if the new one just puts ROY on the back of his jersey.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;2340106 said:
Ah, so here's a little bit of a different question. With good knees, who do you think would have been better opposite T.O., Glenn or Roy?
In truth Roy because of his young age. Glenn and TO are both nearer the end of their careers than the middle.