Schefter Per Mort Report: Murray 5 for 42 mill 21 guaranteed

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Forsett just resigned with the Ravens, so other than Spiller..............what other vet RBs are out there?

If we are going with a committee of Randal, Dunbar, Williams, and a rookie................I am not feeling too confident about that right now.

What else are we going to do?

Ohh yeah. the Draft.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I never stated Murray wasn't a good player. No question, he's good RB. It's just that McCoy is a better RB, IMO. Philly downgraded.
Dallas won't replace the 1800yds Murray put up last season. However, the chances of Murray putting in a contract year performance again is highly unlikely.

The question that needed to be asked is can Murray do EXACTLY what he last season, again, next year? Probably not.
Would he have had a good year again next year? Well, what would be defined as good? 1000yds rushing 350yds receiving, 5-8TDs? Could Murray do this again? Probably. Could another RB, rookie or veteran, do this if Murray probably could? Highly probable.

Exactly. He isnt going to put 1800 up....but if the Cowboys made the Super Bowl Who cares?

I think we had a better chance with Murray at RB then some unknown rookie...

But maybe I am wrong?

Reactions: BAT

Smith22

Reaction score
I think you're severely underrating the ability it takes to rush for 1,800 yards behind any offensive line. Emmitt played behind an even better line and didn't do it. Let's not pretend "any back could do it."

Murray has his flaws -- fumbling, propensity to run to contact, injury history -- but turned in a phenomenal 2014 season following a very good 2013 campaign.

Different game when Emmitt played. Teams routinely stacked the box. Rules highly in the offenses favor now. But I get your point.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Was looking a Spotrac and noticed the Cowboys gave Brandon Carr $25m guaranteed (5 years, $50m) back in 2012.

I know theoretically CBs are worth more than RBs, but thinking this team wasted $25m guaranteed on a slightly above average CB and walked away from the NFL Offensive MVP over $20m guaranteed salary (that Philly gave him) doesn't sit great with me.

The Carr contract looks like a massive mistake at this point to me.

DTown214

Reaction score
Good lord these idiots on NFL Network are so annoying. The dude with the dumbo ears (forgot his name) keeps making jokes about how everyone is signing in Philly. "Chances are, if you're a free agent, you've signed with the Eagles."... they've signed 3 people and ridiculously overpaid for 2 of them. Also Ian RapReport said Ryan Matthews is a superstar running back lol

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Was looking a Spotrac and noticed the Cowboys gave Brandon Carr $25m guaranteed (5 years, $50m) back in 2012.

I know theoretically CBs are worth more than RBs, but thinking this team wasted $25m guaranteed on a slightly above average CB and walked away from the NFL Offensive MVP over $20m guaranteed salary (that Philly gave him) doesn't sit great with me.

The Cowboys have made a lot of those in the past. Probably why Murray had to suffer now.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Good lord these idiots on NFL Network are so annoying. The dude with the dumbo ears (forgot his name) keeps making jokes about how everyone is signing in Philly. "Chances are, if you're a free agent, you've signed with the Eagles."... they've signed 3 people and ridiculously overpaid for 2 of them. Also Ian RapReport said Ryan Matthews is a superstar running back lol

Around the Horn just had Philly winning the NFC East now. ESPN is loving this.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Cowboys have made a lot of those in the past. Probably why Murray had to suffer now.

Bingo!

Unfortunately for Murray... His fumbles and injury issues remain.

Fortunately fur Murray. HE GOT PAID. I am happy about that :)

21 mil guaranteed. He will play at least 2 years. So it should be around $30 mil total at least... (though, I don't know the yearly payout)

DTown214

Reaction score

Their receiving core is way too weak for them to compete with us. With Jackson and now Maclin gone their number 1 WR is who, Riley Cooper? That's laughable. Defenses can game plan to stop the run and their offense can easily be shut down.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

And I think that's why the Cowboys decided not to go that high again on a guarantee. What we don't know if what they do know, and that's the real physical condition of Murray.

He did appear to have slowed down as the season went on.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

And they should be. ESPN hates Dallas and they just blew it. We could have owned this division for the next four or five years and had multiple shots at titles. This organization simply can't stand good fortune. The epitome of incompetence.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
As a Sooners fan, I love DeMarco and Sam Bradford.

But between DeMarco, Bradford and Ryan Mathews, the Eagles are investing a TON of money into three injury prone players.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I just heard Matthews just signed Murray expected to sign soon. (Sirius)

I heard the deal with Matthews was off the table, now Matthews is official and Murray hasn't signed yet?

That's weird.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

In retrospect it was a massive mistake. Of course, that's no reason to compound mistakes. In any event, as you suggest, the two positions can't be compared. CBs are simply more pricey than RBs in today's NFL.