CFZ Several teams may be interested in trading FOR this Cowboy

Motorola

Reaction score
Several starting QBs across the NFL were hurt today to go along with guys guys like Aaron Rodgers and DeShawn Watson who were already hurt. Kurt Cousins may have blown an Achilles and Matt Stafford may be out for a while with his injured thumb. The jets may still be looking for a veteran backup since Zach Wilson has been meh. Sone teams are close enough to competing for a playoff spot and could use a vet QB now.

Some of those teams may be interested in trading for Cooper Rush. If the offer were right I would do it for these reasons:
  • Rush is not really in the future plans here.
  • The Cowboys need to see what they have in Trey Lance anyway.
  • Maybe a team would also part with a player we could use.
IMO the Cowboys would be wise to shop Rush right now while they are hopefully shopping for some other trade options to strengthen this roster. Would you be willing to trade Cooper Rush?
No.
The first sentence in your post is the very reason Dallas keeps Rush as the backup QB - our starter could go down on any play - in any game.
Stafford's injury today is reminiscent of Prescott going out versus the Buccaneers in the first game of the 2022 season.
Contending teams want a No.2 QB with experience, so that if the No.1 goes out, wins will keep occurring (for the most part) due to his play -keeping the team on course for a playoff berth.

● Rush is 4 months younger than Prescott (he turns 30 in 3 weeks)
- so there are no plans about him becoming the next longterm starter after No. 4 finishes his Cowboys career.
● Despite his hard work, Lance is nowhere near ready to become the backup QB and play successfully if called upon.
● Perhaps there is a player Dallas could obtain to improve the team -
but not at the expense of trading Rush. Offer another player or two on the roster - or a draft pick - for the exchange.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
Several starting QBs across the NFL were hurt today to go along with guys guys like Aaron Rodgers and DeShawn Watson who were already hurt. Kurt Cousins may have blown an Achilles and Matt Stafford may be out for a while with his injured thumb. The jets may still be looking for a veteran backup since Zach Wilson has been meh. Sone teams are close enough to competing for a playoff spot and could use a vet QB now.

Some of those teams may be interested in trading for Cooper Rush. If the offer were right I would do it for these reasons:
IMO the Cowboys would be wise to shop Rush right now while they are hopefully shopping for some other trade options to strengthen this roster. Would you be willing to trade Cooper Rush?
I would trade him in a heartbeat. If we can get something for him then do it. Lance is definitely the future #2 after this season. So if we can trade Rush for picks then that’s a no brainer.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Yeah. A swap of a 7th for a 6th. That's really a huge deal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt Cooper Rush would bring more than what it would be worth to lose him at this juncture. It's highly doubtful that Trey Lance is ready to be our the #2 backup at QB. I think perhaps next year would be a much better time to consider making such a move. Most teams would have to be especially desperate to consider giving us a draft pick or player that would be worth giving him up in a trade. The fact that he knows our offensive system so well makes him worth more than what he'd be worth to some team he's unfamiliar with.

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
It would have to be a terrific offer, which isn't happening.

Trading Rush is banking on Dak not getting hurt. If you trade Rush and Dak goes out for several games, that's likely the season. At least with Rush as the backup he can win games and keep the Cowboys in it until Dak is healthy. Now, I'm not saying Dak is capable of getting the Boys to the big game, but at least give the team a chance. Lance isn't ready to backup. If some fool offered a 4th for Rush? Take it. Otherwise no. I don't want to bet on Dak staying healthy just in case. (No team no matter how desperate would offer a 1st-3rd, but take it if they do.)

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys will change the lineup until after the 2024 preseason games. Those will be Trey Lance's audition. Personally, I would not want to see him on the field until 2025. They gave Tony Romo 3 years to develop and I know Lance doesn't need that long. However, I think 2 years would be reasonable unless he really balls out next August.

Until then, Rush is a great busdriver to have on this team, I really don't know if that transfers to a different team. I don't know that Cooper Rush is regarded around the league as a viable starter unless that team has the 2nd coming of the 2000 Ravens defense.

T-RO

Reaction score
No one wants him, it was proven when he was released.
This. I don't understand this thread. Nobody is giving us anything for Cooper Rush. And he's our needed backup as he knows the system.

Classic case of where a backup QB has value because he's got tons of system familiarity and trust, but wouldn't have much value on the open market. Teams aren't knocking down doors for noodle-armed Qbs.

T-RO

Reaction score
Did anyone see the dumpster fire in the Meadowlands today... There is at least 1 team that could use him...
Marginal teams aren't interested in bandaids. They'd either go for a home run QB or just tank and load up picks for next year.