Some Of You Will Disagree...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
If we do hold our 1st round choice, I want a guy that can start... unless we pick up another QB (which I'm not big on).

Right now the biggest holes where a guy could come in and start are FS and ILB.

If Flo wasn't coming back I would put OT at the top of the list.
I'd jump all over a QB in round 1 if one of the top 3 fell like Aaron Rodgers did. Given the teams that need QB this year i don't see it happening.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to see us score more points on defense.We had a few gimmies, but I saw too few forced turnovers for scores. We did a couple years ago, butnot now.

A few more playmakers...maybe on that line...might just do that.

Don't we need a few hosses on our O-line?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
...but on Day 1 of the 2006 Draft I'd go Defense heavy again unless there is an unbelievable talent there.

If we had a Carson Palmer (just using him as an example) at QB I'd feel differently. I'd want a triplets scenario like Indy. I'd want lots of receiving options. I'd want to build an unstoppable offense with a bulldozer O-line.

We're not near that point here yet.

Therefore I focus the Free Agency period on Offense and getting a solid Kicker and I try and finish building a defense that destroys teams through the draft.

I'm very much a proponent of a balance of youth and veteran experience, but in the case of our defense I think it best we plug the holes and go for the long run.

Nothing would please me more than to build an offense around an elite QB again. I still believe one of our backups could be that guy, but there's no evidence to support that right now. Give Bledsoe more wily veterans around him for support and stockpile the defense with playmakers who will keep us in the game for a season or 2 until they build a chemistry that equals elite status.

That's what I would do. I'll understand if you disagree, but I'd like to hear your reasoning why.

all I gotta say is

shore up the Oline, and let the rest fall as it may, whether it be via the draft or FA

did I tell you guys that I like Tom Ashworth and Jeff Mitchell in Free Agency?;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
all I gotta say is

shore up the Oline, and let the rest fall as it may, whether it be via the draft or FA

did I tell you guys that I like Tom Ashworth and Jeff Mitchell in Free Agency?;)
I definitely have my eye on Ashworth. Haven't thought Mitchell yet.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I'm also leaning to the side of the arguement that says that it all begins on the line....both offensively and defensively.

OL and DL should be our area of concentration IF a QB isn't going to be.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
Brain I just don't think you're going to get a tackle at #20 that's going to knock your socks off... I really don't.

I doubt it happens either to be honest....I was just wasting time at work. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
I'm also leaning to the side of the arguement that says that it all begins on the line....both offensively and defensively.

OL and DL should be our area of concentration IF a QB isn't going to be.
On D whether it is a 4-3 or a 3-4, everyone who plays the front 7 plays up on the LOS at some point.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I want to once agian apologize to Charles that we have a 10+ page thread that does not have his favorite topic as the subject. I always feel like we let him down when other things draw as much interest.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I would modify the strategy somewhat. Draft for the middle positions (lines, interior backers) for ongoing continuity and acquire peripheral players through free agency.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We gave up leads several times in the last few minutes on defense. A great front 7 would not have allowed Denver to make it to over time, not to mention the long run to mr Larry Johnson.

A great front 7 would not have allowed the Raiders to be in the game down the stretch making big run after big run. A great front 7 would not have allowed the giants to control the LOS with Tiki, that cost us opportunities on offense.

A great front 7 would not have allowed Portis to set the tone with his tough running, thus forcing us to play catch up in which we're not in position to do.

A great front 7 would probably have caused twice as many turnovers, leaving us in much better field position in every game we lost.

Our defense is not ready, we need Ahmad Brooks or Ngata and things will change. Our offense has put up points in every game, regardless of the tackle position. I know we need a tackle (badly) and we can get a Tackle their are plenty on the board. Plenty in the 2nd and 3rd, and like I said before, we could easily use Ellis or Glover for trade bait to pick up another 2nd/3rd.

I say strengthen the defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I want to once agian apologize to Charles that we have a 10+ page thread that does not have his favorite topic as the subject. I always feel like we let him down when other things draw as much interest.

I was hoping he'd make an appearance and do that mind-reading trick for us. ;)

I'm always interested in what you're really thinking about things Hos. :)

cml750

Reaction score
Very good idea hos. With Bill's track record with drafting offensive linemen it sounds even better. He has done a good job of defensive drafting.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I was thinking "Juke" but you can understand why I didn't go that direction. ;)

*tapping foot*

Oh, please do explain.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
My draft philosophy is to draft the best player available and not necessarily for need. It depends on what players are available. So I don't disagree with your idea of drafting a defensive player if the best player available happens to be a player on defense. I also don't like to take risks by drafting players with a history of injuries. I like players who faced challenging competition in college. I think there is something to said for why players in the SEC and the University of Miami excel in the NFL so yes school pedigree does speak volumes in my opinion. Finally, maturity and intelligence is more important to me than raw skill or athleticism. Any player who was able to be drafted in the NFL has the physicial ability to play in the NFL. However, the mental game is what separates the best players from the average one.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I don't agree given the main LB need is ILB who is responsible for defensive play calls.

Okay...agree to disagree.

Only time will tell.

- Mike G.