Some Of You Will Disagree...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Not a guarantee Mike. I don't draft as insurance against injuries. I draft to fill needs.

So we are back to square one again...

2 Positions held this team hostage last year

Kicker and Offensive Tackle.

I think a Tackle makes a bigger splash then a Linebacker does for this next year.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
marsbennett said:
I agree, defensive shoring up is needed. Our LB corp is thin as well as quality safety. Don't be surprised if Glover gets his walking papers as well. Only if an amazing OT falls to us would I hit OL in the first round. LB, OL, and DB are the highest priorities.

I totally agree with you guys. Look at Chicago, Pittsburgh, alot of the succesful teams have a strong running game and a very good defense.

I think we could really have something special, but I'm not that sold on Shanle . So far, I like Ware and James alot at LB. If Burnett turns out good, great, otherwise, we need another OLB.

I wouldnt mind us drafting a QB and grooming him to play in 2007, especially with Bledsoe not having more than 1 or 2 good years left, IMO.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

I think a Tackle makes a bigger splash then a Linebacker does for this next year.
I don't agree given the main LB need is ILB who is responsible for defensive play calls.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I hope and pray we have this dilemma to worry about. I said it is a LB deep draft. I think I'd roll the dice a stud LB will drop. Still leaves a gap at FS if we grab LB in the 2nd.

I think the return of Flo and another year together makes our OL better than some think. That includes Rivera who disappointed me greatly.

Someone said don't take OG in round 1, but if that OG is Max Jean-Gilles I think I'd love it.

Dunno about that one Hos. The guy is huge, but speed is a real problem for him. Someone that's 6'4", 360... scares me to death.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Dunno about that one Hos. The guy is huge, but speed is a real problem for him. Someone that's 6'4", 360... scares me to death.
I wanna see him squash people.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:

But I think an ILB has a much better chance to start on this team.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I wanna see him squash people.

If Larry Allen or Rivera hang them up after this season I would agree.

But if neither does, the last thing I would want to see happen is the spending of a 1st round pick on a guy that isn't going to play in '06.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
But I think an ILB has a much better chance to start on this team.

Do you think it would be easier to find an exp ILB in FA that could fit in?

Compared to finding say a top notch OT.

In otherwords...what is easier to get in FA, what do teams let go when they have a decent player...A LB or an OT?

Now that is not saying....we HAVE to have an OT in the draft....just saying if there is a top notch OT on the board and a Top notch LB on the board....this year I go OT.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
If Larry Allen or Rivera hang them up after this season I would agree.

But if neither does, the last thing I would want to see happen is the spending of a 1st round pick on a guy that isn't going to play in '06.
Valid point.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Do you think it would be easier to find an exp ILB in FA that could fit in?

Compared to finding say a top notch OT.

In otherwords...what is easier to get in FA, what do teams let go when they have a decent player...A LB or an OT?

Now that is not saying....we HAVE to have an OT in the draft....just saying if there is a top notch OT on the board and a Top notch LB on the board....this year I go OT.
The FA ILB positions look thin as pancakes to me BP.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

Is it thinner than OT? I have not really looked at too much of the FA lists.

Sure this is all speculation... and a thousand things can happen between now and then.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

And at this point I don't see any OT's available at 20 that don't have some flaws. Most of which appear to be strength issues... essentially we could end up with a slightly better OT than what Rob P is presently but I still think given a rigorous off-season that this kid will come in next year far better prepared and would give us more game than what a 1st year, 1st round OT would... especially someone picked up around the 20th slot.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:

Sure this is all speculation... and a thousand things can happen between now and then.

I don't see us picking up an expensive RT... I really do not.

I think they bank on Petitti/Tucker improving more... Flo coming back and perhaps grabbing someone in Rd. 2.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
And at this point I don't see any OT's available at 20 that don't have some flaws. Most of which appear to be strength issues... essentially we could end up with a slightly better OT than what Rob P is presently but I still think given a rigorous off-season that this kid will come in next year far better prepared and would give us more game than what a 1st year, 1st round OT would... especially someone picked up around the 20th slot.

Even if a 1st round OT is a little lacking in some strength areas, and Rob had a great turn around in the offseason.

I somehow doubt that if the 1st round pick is anywhere close to being as good as his draft status...he would be worse off.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we do hold our 1st round choice, I want a guy that can start... unless we pick up another QB (which I'm not big on).

Right now the biggest holes where a guy could come in and start are FS and ILB.

If Flo wasn't coming back I would put OT at the top of the list.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think Rob is going to get every shot to succeed here, and I'm betting that he will. Flozell comes back and assumes his spot. Maybe you get depth there, but I don't think Dallas will go all out...

To be honest, I'm just as concerned with the aging guards.

But I can completely understand the idea of building as dominant defense. I would like to have one more playmaking linebacker on this team, and hope that Burnett comes along like I think he will.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
I don't see us picking up an expensive RT... I really do not.

I think they bank on Petitti/Tucker improving more... Flo coming back and perhaps grabbing someone in Rd. 2.

Who says it has to be a RT only?

If the best player on the board is an OT...I say we take them.

By far we need help on the o-line...even if the kid has to play backup till he is ready or has to play some OG some.

We need insurance on the O-Line...we don't know if Rob will come back better, we don't know if Rivera will return to the form prior to his signing.

If you can get a cornerstone type of player or even a darn good OT...you take him IMO unless you are full of those on your team.

You can find a way to get him on the line if he is worth his salt, even if it is just for a time being until he can play in his natural position.

IMO this team has been held hostage by the Kicker and the Oline this year....we need to shore up the o-line some and we can get a kicker via FA.

NOW with all of that being said....if a very good player is sitting there (say LB, FS, WR) and the next OT is just not worthy of the pick...than take the other player.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Even if a 1st round OT is a little lacking in some strength areas, and Rob had a great turn around in the offseason.

I somehow doubt that if the 1st round pick is anywhere close to being as good as his draft status...he would be worse off.

OT's in the first round scare the bejesus out of me. Especially when you are picking at that point in the first round. If one of the top three fell down to #20... I would consider it. But if you have to settle for the 4th or 5th best tackle... forget it.

Give me a higher rated ILB or FS instead.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

No, it isn't as thin IMO.

Agreed on how much can still happen.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Who says it has to be a RT only?

If the best player on the board is an OT...I say we take them.

By far we need help on the o-line...even if the kid has to play backup till he is ready or has to play some OG some.

We need insurance on the O-Line...we don't know if Rob will come back better, we don't know if Rivera will return to the form prior to his signing.

If you can get a cornerstone type of player or even a darn good OT...you take him IMO unless you are full of those on your team.

You can find a way to get him on the line if he is worth his salt, even if it is just for a time being until he can play in his natural position.

IMO this team has been held hostage by the Kicker and the Oline this year....we need to shore up the o-line some and we can get a kicker via FA.

NOW with all of that being said....if a very good player is sitting there (say LB, FS, WR) and the next OT is just not worthy of the pick...than take the other player.

Brain I just don't think you're going to get a tackle at #20 that's going to knock your socks off... I really don't.