Someone tell the Bucs you build through the draft only

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sprinkles would seem to indicate that no major moves were made. This is not true.

Green Bay got back to contending for titles when it improved its defense by adding Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith through free agency. Starting ILB Christian Kirksey also is a FA addition, as is safety Adrian Amos.

Amos signed for four years, $37 million.
Kirksey signed for two years, $16 million.
Preston Smith signed for four years, $52 million.
ZaDarius Smith signed for four years, $66 million.

Imagine what four fairly substantial FA signings like that could do for our defense.
and they got as far as the NFCCG, true and its because of Rodgers and the #1 offense....you will pay a premium for FA players. and that improved their defense to only 13th best.....so 171 in contracts and you are 13th in the league....if they would have drafted better, they wouldn't have to go that route and would have money to address other areas of need.

SackMaster

Reaction score
How was Tampa doing pre-Brady?
Considering the previous QB threw 30 Interceptions, the most by any NFL QB since 1988 and would easily be a Cowboys Team Record (by a lot), and the Bucs still got to 7-9 last year? I would say they were doing pretty darn good.

For comparison, even though Dak had just 1 less total TDs than Winston (33 (30-3) vs 34 (33-1)) and Dak turned it over less than half as much as Winston (13 (11-2) vs 33 (30-3)), the Cowboys were only one game better than Tampa at 8-8.

Think about it this way, the Cowboys were -1 in turnover differential in 2019 and went 8-8. The Bucs were -13 in 2019 and went 7-9.

Anyone thinks the Bucs were not good before Brady got there are just fooling themselves.

If Dallas had a QB that threw 30 interceptions in a season (the most in Cowboys history for a single QB is 25), I'm pretty darn sure that the Cowboys would only win 2 games (maybe) with the defense they have had the past few years. And it would not surprise me if they went 0-16.

So ya, Tampa was pretty good. They just needed a QB that wasn't going to screw them over.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Considering the previous QB threw 30 Interceptions, the most by any NFL QB since 1988 and would easily be a Cowboys Team Record (by a lot), and the Bucs still got to 7-9 last year? I would say they were doing pretty darn good.

For comparison, even though Dak had just 1 less total TDs than Winston (33 (30-3) vs 34 (33-1)) and Dak turned it over less than half as much as Winston (13 (11-2) vs 33 (30-3)), the Cowboys were only one game better than Tampa at 8-8.

Think about it this way, the Cowboys were -1 in turnover differential in 2019 and went 8-8. The Bucs were -13 in 2019 and went 7-9.

Anyone thinks the Bucs were not good before Brady got there are just fooling themselves.

If Dallas had a QB that threw 30 interceptions in a season (the most in Cowboys history for a single QB is 25), I'm pretty darn sure that the Cowboys would only win 2 games (maybe) with the defense they have had the past few years. And it would not surprise me if they went 0-16.

So ya, Tampa was pretty good. They just needed a QB that wasn't going to screw them over.
great post. I said the same thing. I 100% agree...the bucs lost 7 games by less than one score, I believe 4 by 4 points or less. take away 15 interceptions and they could easily have had a 10 win season....

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I see on the boards all the time “build through the draft and bring in some stop gaps (scrubs) in free agency....that’s how you win a Super Bowl

Well Steve let’s take a look at the Bucs....

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

So you can go on living that lie that we will win a Super Bowl through the draft and free agency scrubs
Good point!

Brax

Reaction score
If you did some research before yapping, you would realize that 2/3rds of the picks in the last 5+ drafts have been on Defense. You're right that Jerry & Sons have not drafted well, but they honestly could and should have addressed the rebuilding of this Defense if they had drafted wisely. With how much a handful of players currently are taking up the majority of the salary capped pie, where is Jerry going to have any space to pick up some defensive difference makers in free agency? Please enlighten us with your geniusness.
You have poor reading and understanding skills, My put was Jerry and friends are not drafting up the 85 bears D this draft, and with the elite $$$ allotted for a QB that needs so much to support him along with Jerry's poor drafts and contract bone head moves doesn't bode well, except in homer fantasy land that some live in. If You believe old Jerry is just drafting up a D this year along with bargain bin FAs and old Dak will carry the team it's Just not happening. You need to keep your yapper shut and read before replying because it's obvious you didn't understand what was written, also read the OP and the reply's, because over all it sounds like you agree with what I said in the posts.

kskboys

Reaction score
You have poor reading and understanding skills, My put was Jerry and friends are not drafting up the 85 bears D this draft, and with the elite $$$ allotted for a QB that needs so much to support him along with Jerry's poor drafts and contract bone head moves doesn't bode well, except in homer fantasy land that some live in. If You believe old Jerry is just drafting up a D this year along with bargain bin FAs and old Dak will carry the team it's Just not happening. You need to keep your yapper shut and read before replying because it's obvious you didn't understand what was written, also read the OP and the reply's, because over all it sounds like you agree with what I said in the posts.
I'll help you, Brax:

1. Quit freakin' drafting injured and injury prone players.
2. Draft positions other than DE, LB, and CB. And draft some non 3 tech guys, for Pete's sake.
3. Let someone else pick the groceries. Jerry, you suck at it. Suck bad. As in blow chunks.

kskboys

Reaction score
and they got as far as the NFCCG, true and its because of Rodgers and the #1 offense....you will pay a premium for FA players. and that improved their defense to only 13th best.....so 171 in contracts and you are 13th in the league....if they would have drafted better, they wouldn't have to go that route and would have money to address other areas of need.
Also, Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry panned out, they drafted 2 rook S's and a CB that can play, and then filled in the gaps at LB.

LB is not that hard of a position to fill, it's really stupid that we just keep drafting LB's.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

After Green Bay brought in those FAs, they improved from 22nd in points allowed to ninth. They also made it to the NFC Championship Game that year and in 2020 after going 6-9-1 the previous year.

I think some of you wouldn't acknowledge what FAs do for a team no matter what. I could go individually through each team that has had success and show what key FAs they picked up and I don't think it would convince those of you who simply believe it's a case of they should have drafted better. The draft is a crapshoot and you usually don't end up with more than a couple of quality starters from it. You can't depend on that entirely to build a team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I see on the boards all the time “build through the draft and bring in some stop gaps (scrubs) in free agency....that’s how you win a Super Bowl

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

So you can go on living that lie that we will win a Super Bowl through the draft and free agency scrubs
first off that maybe half true sure invest in few more ey FAS

lets not get it twisted an Elite HOF QB came and played for 15mil plus incentives made maybe what 25max? tell dak take a discount

then he brought with him Gronk, AB , forunette, and brown at huge discount because they wnated to play with Brady..ask AC and Zeke to restructure and give money back

this is fairy tale doesnt happen very much and was very rare occurrence you score those names at those prices..individually they would have cost another team 3 times that..PERIOD end of debate

was brady coming here with Dak? No so fairy tale over because without brady those other pieces dont fall into place..

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

We usually don't start our shopping in FA till after a month into it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

and 6 notable FAS that came because of brady..its an anomaly..not a formula or blueprint all teams would do it.so nit pick few good teams Fas spending big on and ill show you a dozen it backfired..

Big_D

Reaction score
Free agency is an important aspect in today's NFL and the Cowboys suck at it. No doubt it needs to be higher on the list of priorities when it comes to building this team. Meanwhile you're no good in the FA market and then you draft headcases, injury risks, just mind numbing decisions on draft day combined with not properly utilizing free agency!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Prime example that you aren’t paying attention. Cameron Brate outplayed Gronk throughout the playoffs until the Super Bowl. You are clueless if you think the Buccaneers needed those guys to win lol. Vita Vea is what makes that defensive line work not no damn Suh lol.
Oh well, you got me there. Cameron Brate in a couple of playoff games (as if other solid players mean these guys weren't important :rolleyes:)...and the guy who played 5 games in 2020.

Talk about not paying attention.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When teams sign these free agents they are admitting they don't draft as well as we do.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lots of things have to fall into place before a team is likely to be one to be privileged enough to qualify for SB contention. We're still awaiting that great blessing, from the looks of things. Since knowledgeable football smarts are a prerequisite for that occurrence to materialize, it's a longshot, at best. I'm counting on the likes of none other than Will McClay to have an exceptional draft and follow it up with some stupendous FA blessings for a fighting chance of that actually coming to fruition. That might well take a while yet, though. Our FO is forever struggling to attain good cap prosperity. Acquiring elite veteran free agents is something to indefinitely be hoping to see. Let's just say hope springs eternal in Cowboys Country. ;)

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
and 6 notable FAS that came because of brady..its an anomaly..not a formula or blueprint all teams would do it.so nit pick few good teams Fas spending big on and ill show you a dozen it backfired..
Yup.

The majority of big money FA signings do not work out positively for the team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
After Green Bay brought in those FAs, they improved from 22nd in points allowed to ninth. They also made it to the NFC Championship Game that year and in 2020 after going 6-9-1 the previous year.

I think some of you wouldn't acknowledge what FAs do for a team no matter what. I could go individually through each team that has had success and show what key FAs they picked up and I don't think it would convince those of you who simply believe it's a case of they should have drafted better. The draft is a crapshoot and you usually don't end up with more than a couple of quality starters from it. You can't depend on that entirely to build a team.
they already had offensive core. they paid a lot of money for these defensive FA and that's the point... one defensive player can't turn a defense around, you need multiple and they cost money money money....and regardless, they still didn't make it and their number 1 offense and Rodgers carried the team.

I am not anti-FA....I don't believe you can build a team and win through FA. you have to draft well. if you can't draft well and you think its a crapshoot, then you have evaluation problems...Tampa built through draft and supplement with couple of key FAs. KC built through the draft. Bills built through the draft. so its not such a crapshoot if all these teams can build their core through the draft.