Someone tell the Bucs you build through the draft only

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I see on the boards all the time “build through the draft and bring in some stop gaps (scrubs) in free agency....that’s how you win a Super Bowl

Well Steve let’s take a look at the Bucs....

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

So you can go on living that lie that we will win a Super Bowl through the draft and free agency scrubs

And half of those guys who aren't named Brady are here because of Brady.

But yeah, great strategy, get the best QB in history on your team and the free agents will come. Also, Gronk wasn't a free agent.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
they already had offensive core. they paid a lot of money for these defensive FA and that's the point... one defensive player can't turn a defense around, you need multiple and they cost money money money....and regardless, they still didn't make it and their number 1 offense and Rodgers carried the team.

I am not anti-FA....I don't believe you can build a team and win through FA. you have to draft well. if you can't draft well and you think its a crapshoot, then you have evaluation problems...Tampa built through draft and supplement with couple of key FAs. KC built through the draft. Bills built through the draft. so its not such a crapshoot if all these teams can build their core through the draft.

Go look at the success rate on draft picks, especially in the later rounds. It's a crapshoot. If you don''t believe it is, you haven't looked at the success rates. For the first round, it's around 50 percent. For the subsequent rounds, it gets worse.

You build through the draft because you take a lot of shots (for example, having 10 picks this year). Based on percentages, you get a few players among those 10 who become quality starters. Let's say you get three quality starters in a year, which is actually on the high side, just building through the draft, it would take you seven years to put quality starters at every position on offense and defense.

I 100 percent agree with you that you have to draft well, and I don't think anyone here is saying that you don't. But you also have to use free agency well.

Green Bay was not competitive until it vastly improved its defense. The year it won the Super Bowl, it had a very good defense. Charles Woodson was a big-time free agent piece of that (I could go back and point out more I'm sure, but I don't want to make the effort). Yes, having a great offense has been important to the Packers' success, but so has been a competent defense.

We've built a competitive offense, but we haven't done what Green Bay did to put a defense on the field that can help that offense and become a contender. You have to spend some money, money, money. It all goes hand in hand to putting a competitive team on the field.

You build through the draft. You supplement with free agency. That's how you put a team together. You don't grab some FAs off the trash heap and try to fill holes while you continue to build through the draft. If you do that, you are never going to succeed because there will always be holes to fill. You've got to fill those holes with quality to supplement the base you build with draft picks if you want to contend.

kskboys

Reaction score
Go look at the success rate on draft picks, especially in the later rounds. It's a crapshoot. If you don''t believe it is, you haven't looked at the success rates. For the first round, it's around 50 percent. For the subsequent rounds, it gets worse.

You build through the draft because you take a lot of shots (for example, having 10 picks this year). Based on percentages, you get a few players among those 10 who become quality starters. Let's say you get three quality starters in a year, which is actually on the high side, just building through the draft, it would take you seven years to put quality starters at every position on offense and defense.

I 100 percent agree with you that you have to draft well, and I don't think anyone here is saying that you don't. But you also have to use free agency well.

Green Bay was not competitive until it vastly improved its defense. The year it won the Super Bowl, it had a very good defense. Charles Woodson was a big-time free agent piece of that (I could go back and point out more I'm sure, but I don't want to make the effort). Yes, having a great offense has been important to the Packers' success, but so has been a competent defense.

We've built a competitive offense, but we haven't done what Green Bay did to put a defense on the field that can help that offense and become a contender. You have to spend some money, money, money. It all goes hand in hand to putting a competitive team on the field.

You build through the draft. You supplement with free agency. That's how you put a team together. You don't grab some FAs off the trash heap and try to fill holes while you continue to build through the draft. If you do that, you are never going to succeed because there will always be holes to fill. You've got to fill those holes with quality to supplement the base you build with draft picks if you want to contend.
The Packers got BJ Raji in the draft, and he singlehandedly caused two early TO's that led to TD's. Packers won by 6, BTW.

As you said, it was a combo of draft/FA. Cullen Jenkins was also a draftee, and he was a huge part of that top 5 D that led the way.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh well, you got me there. Cameron Brate in a couple of playoff games (as if other solid players mean these guys weren't important :rolleyes:)...and the guy who played 5 games in 2020.

Talk about not paying attention.
If Antonio Brown, Gronk weren't there...I think Mike Evans, Brate and Godwin would've been able to take the load but who I guess not according to you. Oh well.

Hadenough

Reaction score
We ain’t gonna win jack until we get a real GM who is serious about bringing in some real talent....which doesn’t look like that will ever happen
The problem with Jerry is he only will bring in nice guys. Sometimes you need that bit of criminal nasty element to add attitude to a defense. Not a bunch of washed up DTs that are fat and lazy looking for a final payday.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I see on the boards all the time “build through the draft and bring in some stop gaps (scrubs) in free agency....that’s how you win a Super Bowl

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

So you can go on living that lie that we will win a Super Bowl through the draft and free agency scrubs

Building through the draft is still the best way to go.
Unless your NFL franchise in 80 million under the cap like the bucs were a few years ago.
Then you can go through FA.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yup.

The majority of big money FA signings do not work out positively for the team.
exactly not saying the Jones shouldnt take a risk more often but we see far more failures with day one FA big money signings then it works..we just have to hope they get it right this year ..big turning point on full rebuild vs filling a few holes and back on top of the east..could go either way

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

Gronk had a very quiet season. Brady picked the Bucs before Gronk, Fournette, and Brown signed. He picked them b/c they were already loaded at WR and TE. They had the weapons on offense he needed and a good defense. Plus, once Brady signed, it gave Tampa management the excuse they needed to go all in and not worry about 3-4 years down the road.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Stephen Jones would have made an honest offer to Tom Brady, Gronk, Suh etc

ill bet you my house SJ would have paid all of them the exact amount Tampa did , missing the issue, Brady had to come here first and the rest to follow..how does that happen with dak here under a FT and started the first 4 games before he got hurt, there wasn't a QB opening and iof there were did Brady want to come here?
horrible premise TB got all those dudes Cheap because Brady brought them there and took 15 plus incentives which turned into 25mil.. all those FAS separately would have cost Triple had it not been for Brady..has zero to do with the FO here this was bradys decsions..

Brady could have easily worked things out in NE and had design to win there..he chose Tampa and now its history..

maybe Dak who BTW got 32mil to ride the trainig table whle Brady got 25 and brought players with him on the cheap.. Tampas about to have to pay the piper for second bite at the apply , a lot of those guys are awaiting bigger money now that they have the ring..

revospeed

Reaction score
you build your core through the draft. you complement with a few mid level draftees and perhaps a big signing to fill a gap you couldn't do through draft

you swung and missed baadddlllyyy. you were lazy to do your homework because you wanted to drive an agenda.
Fourtnette had 367 yards rushing...by comparison Polllard had 435. so you tout fourtnette? because its a name you heard and have no idea what he did for his team.

most of those FA cost as much as the 4 FA we signed and couldn't get past mid season. its finding the right cheap FA.....

below is the core of their team that came through draft.

Wirf
Wienfield
White
Vea
Jones
Howard
Brate
Evans
Godwin
Hargraves
Smith
Evans

OJ Howard was injured and replaced by a FA.
Brate was a FA.
hargreaves doesn’t play for the Bucs.

The Bucs went out and got splash players and it paid off. Same with the chiefs. There’s nothing wrong with building through the draft and also not being miserly.

Creeper

Reaction score
What Jerry Jones did was viewed as smart and applauded by most.

Don’t overpay in FA, build through the draft, and sign your guys when they perform.

I on the other hand was the guy saying to sign Brady and go all in.

I was also the guy saying McCarthy was a status quo hire.

We make too many smart conservative decisions that have us stuck right in the middle.

I admit I was wrong about Brady. I thought he was done. I underestimated what he brings to the table, and it is not just his play on the field. The guy brings a championship attitude to the team and the Cowboys desperately need that. But honestly, I don't think Brady would have come to Dallas, for any amount of money. Then of course there is the problem of what happens when he does retire. Maybe had the signed Brady they could have traded Dak for a draft pick and taken a QB last year. There is not way to tell what could have happened.

I thought McCarthy was a so-so hire too, but I thought he would be a huge improvement of Garrett ins a couple of areas. 1) game management and 2) preparation. I was wrong on both accounts. He was only slightly better in preparation, but game management was no better than it was under Garrett.