Something I heard on the Post Game Show

chagus

Reaction score
One of the hosts asked the other one if there are any issues in the locker room...

He stated that a few of the players are grumbling about the lack of adjustments that Marinelli makes. His philosophy is old school in that he says he will stick with the original gameplan and refuses to adjust as it is up to players to execute...

Man... That's bull corn. The defense actually did great.... Up until it got gassed at the end. Again.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
The defense can't seem to make plays when the opposing offense needs 80-90+ yards in the 4th quarter with the game on the line and when a decent offense gets the ball in the 2nd qtr with two minutes or less. WTH is that about.
Man... That's bull corn. The defense actually did great.... Up until it got gassed at the end. Again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Have u seen McClain turd it out there?? What about Wilcox absolutely sucking? That is not Maranellis fault and I blame Stephen or McClay more for thinking they could play. Like Parcells says you cant coach stupid players.

McClain didn't look stupid out there last year at ALL. Nick Saban actually called him one of the smartest players he's ever coached. So once again, these guys weren't dumb last year so what happened? They got dumb in a offseason? Wilcox may simply can't play. I wouldn't equate it to his intellect.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
One thing Holly said is that the opposing offense is running a number of different looks to set up drives late in the game knowing there will be no adjustment...

They'll see something then put a scheme in their hip pocket and wait until late in the game to use it...

Sadly, this makes a TON of sense...

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I disagree, our offense has put the defense in many bad situations. Pick 6s in 2 student games which decided the winner.

Today we were at mid field 3 times with 4th and 1 and didn't attempt to go for none even though our defense had held bucs to 3 points and 2 turnovers. We have played not to lose on offense instead of playing to win. Coaches, game plan and offense are to blame in every single lost this season.

Ya they have up a TD late in the fourth today but hell bucs had 7 shots from inside the 10. Romo scores the TD to win today no doubt about it

With Romo we probably win 31-10.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I really like rod but his scheme obviously isn't working this year. I really want to go back to the 3-4.

yesnotarot.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sadly, this makes a TON of sense...

It does, but then, if we did make the defensive adjustments, you could argue we'd be putting those on tape so that the offense could adjust to *those* at the end of the game. It doesn't really end. They can adjust to whatever you're doing in the middle of a drive if they want to. And I'm not seeing a lot of things late in the games that I think of as scheme problems. We've seen a lot of bad angles and breaking containment. Today, it was a stupid penalty and the safety getting sucked in on a misdirection play, for example.

And all teams keep plays in their back pockets for when they need them. Romo talks a lot about doing the same thing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
What I dislike about Garrett's coaching is that, outside of the 2014 season, we are never what he preaches for us to be. He preaches "finish," and we blow four straight 4th-quarter leads for the first time in franchise history. It's a flashback to Garrett's first three years as coach, where we found hilarious new ways to lose each week.

But those t-shirts he prints up with those spiffy mottoes are pretty snazzy.

neosapien23

Reaction score
McClain didn't look stupid out there last year at ALL. Nick Saban actually called him one of the smartest players he's ever coached. So once again, these guys weren't dumb last year so what happened? They got dumb in a offseason? Wilcox may simply can't play. I wouldn't equate it to his intellect.

Dude mcclain is a turd. He smoked pot..got suspended for 4 games....and then showed up about 20 lbs overweight. What do you call that smart?? I dont expect all of our players to be boy scouts but at least Hardy showed up in shape after his suspension. Wilcox is a dumb football player. He may be smart in the classroom but is dumb on the field. Emmit was not smart in the classroom and did not have a strong grasp of the english language but he was steven hawking on the football field.

vaturkey

Reaction score
He did that against NO and Philly. Early effective blitzing...backs off, gets toasted.

I think he always backs off because our guys run out of gas and he knows they can't get to the QB late in the game. Hard to run another 20 yard sprint when you have been chasing running backs and TE's all game. Plus we always coach conservative late in the games. That's why we loose the lead in the 4th quarter about every game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just be thankful we played a rookie quarterback who missed passes all over the field otherwise the score wouldn't have been close and this would be a moot point. Rod's day has come and gone in this team is not in physical condition and that's on Jason end of story

IrishAnto

Reaction score
These little digs at Marinelli are starting to make me angry because it will lead to him being the scape goat.

They need to fix this offensive scheme.

The need to fix the entire team offense, defense and Special Teams.

They're all contributing to the loosing.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
All the offense had to do to win the game is score 11 points. I have trouble pointing the finger at the defense here. If you can't score 11 points, well..... You go on losing streaks.

Thats what I have been saying. How can anybody blame the defense is beyond me

Swanny

Reaction score
One of the hosts asked the other one if there are any issues in the locker room...

He stated that a few of the players are grumbling about the lack of adjustments that Marinelli makes. His philosophy is old school in that he says he will stick with the original gameplan and refuses to adjust as it is up to players to execute...

In no way is any of this Marinellis fault. The Cowboys are lucky to have him. His D gives up 10 points and we still complain about the defense?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Agree. Score 2 TDs in the first two and we win, 3 in the 3rd game, 1 and 2 FGs's today.... Should be easily achieved but somehow we play down to the level of competition consistently, and they overplay their ability. e.g. 2 kickers make 50 + harder against us....

And do you actually think that no matter how many points our offense scores that the defense won't still give up enough to lose. Teams play very conservatively against us. Every time we score, the other team comes out and marches right down the field to score. Every time we take a lead, the other team matches it. Every time we are poised to win, regardless of score, the other team marches down to take the win in crunch time. With our defense, it isn't about how many points our offense scores...we miss Romo leading the offense to critical first downs to seal the win rather than letting our defense back on the field at crunch time. Maybe if Dez doesn't drop that pass yesterday, and maybe if the offense got one more first down after that, then we win, but we win because we prevent a terrible defense from taking the field.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im actually fine with Marinelli.

Something definitely needs to be done in order for us to get stops in crucial moments of the game but overall the defense is fine.

It's the damn offense that is the problem and im sick and tired of throwing defensive coaches under the bus for our crap offense.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Last year we entered the 4th quarter 10 times either behind or ahead by only one TD or less. Only six games did we have a lead requiring the opponent to have two scores: Titans, Saints, Jags, Bears, Colts, Skins. Saints scored 14 on us in the 4th, and Bears scared us with 21 fourth quarter points.

I still say the real difference between last year and this year was the defense creating turnovers and Romo leading us to 4th quarter wins or moving the chains with a small lead and keeping a bad defense off the field at the end.

I wasn't talking about going into the 4th specifically. I was talking the 4th/OT per drive stats at PFR.

But when I look at the game summaries:

Rams - 2 score lead late with 5:58 left
Texans - 2 score lead late with 9:44left
1st Giants - 2 score lead late with 9:11 left
2nd Eagles - 2 score lead late with 12:48 and 4: 37 left

That's what I am talking about. If you get up two scores in the 4th it's harder for teams to stay balanced. You start getting more passes (like 2 to 1 pass/run last year I think). So there is 10 games where they were up or got up, forced teams to be more one dimensional and were able to create turnovers.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
And do you actually think that no matter how many points our offense scores that the defense won't still give up enough to lose. Teams play very conservatively against us. Every time we score, the other team comes out and marches right down the field to score. Every time we take a lead, the other team matches it. Every time we are poised to win, regardless of score, the other team marches down to take the win in crunch time. With our defense, it isn't about how many points our offense scores...we miss Romo leading the offense to critical first downs to seal the win rather than letting our defense back on the field at crunch time. Maybe if Dez doesn't drop that pass yesterday, and maybe if the offense got one more first down after that, then we win, but we win because we prevent a terrible defense from taking the field.

I can dream can't I :):) P.S. agree that in our current state there are no guaranteed wins based on how many pts we score as we seem to gift the other team more often than not instead of closing them down in crunch time