Something I heard on the Post Game Show

khiladi

Reaction score
Again...

The Dallas defense got a TO on he second to last drive, with a little under six minutes left.

Dallas' offense went 3 and out and burned only a minute off the clock. And the offense took a TO.

At what point does one demarcate the line that the defense didn't make a stop at the end?

Dallas offense couldn't even consume three minutes off the clock for Tampa to have to rush up the field to try and score.

The Cowvoys won he TO battle, 2-1 this game.. Are they suppose to win 3-1, 4-1..

This is just nonsense.. If the offense could score, the defense could play more aggressive as well.

ccb04

Reaction score
3 turnovers in 7 weeks.

It's not the issue though. Haha

Marinelli preaches turnovers & his defenses have typically been good at forcing them. In his previous 2 seasons as a DC, his defenses forced a combined 75 takeaways. In 2012 the Bears finished with 44 takeaways which led the league. And in 2014, the Boys had 31 takeaways, which was good for 2nd best in the league.

Sometimes, the players being paid to play deserve the blame for lack of production. Certainly, Marinelli and the rest of the staff drills them daily on takeaways & protecting the ball. They dropped another Int today...and by 'they', I of course don't mean Marinelli or the other coaches.

But in the Bucs game, they won both the turnover & TOP battles...and still lost. Scoring 6 points isn't going to cut it.

neosapien23

Reaction score
That's ridiculous and not an excuse at all. These same players have had coaches before Maranelli and I don't know any of them who were known to be "dumb" before they got here.

Have u seen McClain turd it out there?? What about Wilcox absolutely sucking? That is not Maranellis fault and I blame Stephen or McClay more for thinking they could play. Like Parcells says you cant coach stupid players.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Again...

The Dallas defense got a TO on he second to last drive, with a little under six minutes left.

Dallas' offense went 3 and out and burned only a minute off the clock. And the offense took a TO.

At what point does one demarcate the line that the defense didn't make a stop at the end?

Dallas offense couldn't even consume three minutes off the clock for Tampa to have to rush up the field to try and score.

The Cowvoys won he TO battle, 2-1 this game.. Are they suppose to win 3-1, 4-1..

This is just nonsense.. If the offense could score, the defense could play more aggressive as well.

Defense did its part today. They gave us an opportunity to clinch the game late and our offense failed.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
a lot of the 31 turnovers came in the 4th/OT.

Teams passed more of the time last year in the 4th quarter as the D took the field with a 10+ point differential.

Not happening this year so far. Offense has to score to help the D. Many of the best ranked D's are on teams winning games by 2+ scores late.

Last year we entered the 4th quarter 10 times either behind or ahead by only one TD or less. Only six games did we have a lead requiring the opponent to have two scores: Titans, Saints, Jags, Bears, Colts, Skins. Saints scored 14 on us in the 4th, and Bears scared us with 21 fourth quarter points.

I still say the real difference between last year and this year was the defense creating turnovers and Romo leading us to 4th quarter wins or moving the chains with a small lead and keeping a bad defense off the field at the end.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
We should fire the coaches. Jerry will hire the right guy, he always does.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Marinelli preaches turnovers & his defenses have typically been good at forcing them. In his previous 2 seasons as a DC, his defenses forced a combined 75 takeaways. In 2012 the Bears finished with 44 takeaways which led the league. And in 2014, the Boys had 31 takeaways, which was good for 2nd best in the league.

Sometimes, the players being paid to play deserve the blame for lack of production. Certainly, Marinelli and the rest of the staff drills them daily on takeaways & protecting the ball. They dropped another Int today...and by 'they', I of course don't mean Marinelli or the other coaches.

But in the Bucs game, they won both the turnover & TOP battles...and still lost. Scoring 6 points isn't going to cut it.

That's great, but it's 2015. Not 2012, not 2014.

And again, the offense has clicked or put us in the position to win 3 of our losses this year: Falcons, Saints, and Eagles - all three, the defense came up short. Us being unable to stop Winston and Wilson on their final drives is pathetic.

The guy simply has no idea how to adjust late in games. And we aren't just lacking in turnovers, we are lacking in nearly every key defensive category.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

And again, the offense has clicked or put us in the position to win 3 of our losses this year: Falcons, Saints, and Eagles - all three, the defense came up short. Us being unable to stop Winston and Wilson on their final drives is pathetic.

The guy simply has no idea how to adjust late in games. And we aren't just lacking in turnovers, we are lacking in nearly every key defensive category.

10 points. 2 picks. What more do you want? That is one of the most dominant defensive performances of the year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
10 points. 2 picks. What more do you want? That is one of the most dominant defensive performances of the year.

I want a stop late in the damn game, that's what I want. Again, them failing at this time and time again is telling.

I don't care if you want to put most of the blame on the offense, they deserve a lot of the blame. But to dismiss the defense like it wasn't a problem, get out of here with that. Offense clicks, defense still can't stop opposing offenses.

Marinelli and his group just haven't been ready to play this year. If you can't perform in pressure situations, you aren't winning anything meaningful.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I want a stop late in the damn game, that's what I want. Again, them failing at this time and time again is telling.

I don't care if you want to put most of the blame on the offense, they deserve a lot of the blame. But to dismiss the defense like it wasn't a problem, get out of here with that. Offense clicks, defense still can't stop opposing offenses.

Marinelli and his group just haven't been ready to play this year. If you can't perform in pressure situations, you aren't winning anything meaningful.
10 points and 2 turnovers is a game full of stops. Period.

ccb04

Reaction score

Never said it was all on the offense...or any other singular aspect of the team. What I did say, is that teams often win games when holding the opposing team to 10 points...and very often lose games when only scoring 6 points in 4 quarters.

The Cowboys offense was very good in the 1st half of the Falcons game...but much like the defense, they failed to show up in the 2nd half. It was 28-17 at halftime...Dallas didn't score a single point after halftime, and the defense imploded.

Not that any of us expected them to win...but the first half of the Pats game was the opposite of the 1st half of the Falcons game. The defense played about as well as a defense can against the Pats...and the offense was absent.

Yes, it is 2015. Point being, Marinelli is coaching the same way he did in 2012 & 2014. And yes, they are lacking in nearly every key defensive category...and a good deal of that has to do with the players on the field IMO. Several players have been disappointments, and then add in the injuries.

As I've mentioned here previously...I would like to see more creativity (which includes adjustments), on both sides of the ball. That said, the players have to carry out assignments, tackle, hold onto Int's & simple catches, not commit dumb penalties, etc. All of those negative things happened today alone vs. the Bucs: Dez's drops & lack of effort, a dropped Int., Witten's drive killing false start, Heath's penalty negating a potentially game-clinching fumble recovery, etc.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
13, 13, 20 and 10 points allowed last 4 weeks. The defense isn't the issue.

Agree. Score 2 TDs in the first two and we win, 3 in the 3rd game, 1 and 2 FGs's today.... Should be easily achieved but somehow we play down to the level of competition consistently, and they overplay their ability. e.g. 2 kickers make 50 + harder against us....