Speculation: FSU and Clemson to big 12?

rkell87

Reaction score
http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...orida-state-inevitable-conference-realignment

The messages from the actual Florida State administration still seem mixed regarding a possible move to the Big 12, but a report on Sunday from Ingram Smith on ChuckOliver.net has added more momentum to the runaway freight train that is conference realignment by calling the prospective Seminole move to the Big 12 "inevitable."

Clearly seeking to establish the credibility of the report (after all, what is ChuckOliver.net and who is Ingram Smith?), Smith cites sources "with the strongest ties possible to the Florida State's Athletic Department."

It smacks of a strategic leak as the Florida State administration seeks to come to their own consensus behind the scenes about the next move and waiting for movement on the part of the Big 12, but using a relatively unknown website would be an odd way to go about doing that.

Whatever the credibility of the sources used for the story, the example of Texas A&M provides sufficient evidence to support the argument that these realignment rumors can create enough momentum within a fanbase and, more importantly, the power-wielding donors and boosters of a school, that the move to another conference can essentially be taken out of the administration's hands due to the amount of pressure applied.

And, also, money -- that green stuff is important, too.

As far as the Big 12 is concerned, the league now appears to be stable (i.e. not in danger of completely collapsing), in large part due to the influx of TV money with the conference's new deal that is fueling much of this talk after the numbers associated with the ACC's new deal came out, but that old issue of consensus has once again reared it's head.

At issue again is whether the league wants to expand past 10 teams:

Aikbach

Reaction score
FSU to the Big 12 North, replacing Nebraska effectively.

WVU
FSU
K. ST
KAN
IOWA ST.
Then add BYU

Would be a pretty solid division

Ou
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Tech
Ok ST.

Makes a better than ever Big 12 South.

Verdict

Reaction score
Although I am a Sooner fan, you guys aren't giving near enough credit to Oklahoma State as a program. With the money that T. Boone Pickens has thrown at OSU to upgrade their facilities, they are here to stay as a perennial powerhouse!

MC KAos

Reaction score
Verdict;4567219 said:
Although I am a Sooner fan, you guys aren't giving near enough credit to Oklahoma State as a program. With the money that T. Boone Pickens has thrown at OSU to upgrade their facilities, they are here to stay as a perennial powerhouse!

i agree, they have everything a program needs to attract top recruits

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Aikbach;4567118 said:

WVU
FSU
K. ST
KAN
IOWA ST.
Then add BYU

Ou
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Tech
Ok ST.

Sub out ND for BYU. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4567377 said:
Sub out ND for BYU. :)

Yep...word going around this morning is that ND is in play. Most would think ND to the Big 10 but the Big12 would seem the right fit for ND due to the Tier 3 situation. I just hope it is full membership and not everything except for football unless it is with the understanding that football would come after a full years.

Also BYU would not be in play even if ND was not. Too many difficulties with BYU from what I have heard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4567405 said:
Yep...word going around this morning is that ND is in play. Most would think ND to the Big 10 but the Big12 would seem the right fit for ND due to the Tier 3 situation. I just hope it is full membership and not everything except for football unless it is with the understanding that football would come after a full years.

Also BYU would not be in play even if ND was not. Too many difficulties with BYU from what I have heard.

I have never thought that ND would go to the Big 10 because the Big 10 shares all revenue and ND does not want to share their TV deal. ACC is the same way, which is why I never thought they were a serious contender either. On the other hand, the Big 12 does allow teams to set up their own Third Tier TV deals so I have always felt as if it was only a matter of time before ND landed in the Big 12.

I do think that BYU is in play. I just think that they are probably the last team on the list for consideration.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Aikbach;4567118 said:

WVU
FSU
K. ST
KAN
IOWA ST.
Then add BYU

Ou
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Tech
Ok ST.

I don't think FSU goes into the Northern Division. I think they go to the South and you probably see ND and VaTech go to the North eventually. It might look something like this.

Northern Division:

ND
VaTech.
WVU
K. ST
KAN
IOWA ST.
BYU

Southern Division:

FSU
OU
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Tech
Ok ST.

That would big you a Seven Team Division, 14 teams in all. I could see a Boise St in place of BYU or maybe coming over in the next year. I could also see a Boston College coming over in the North and perhaps Miami in the South later. That would bring the Big 12 up to the sixteen team mark for the "Super Conference" status. If it played out like this, I think that the Big 12 would undoubtedly become the Premier Conference in Football, if that were to happen.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i hope they next time they make divisions they make it like the big 10 did, not by geography but by quality of team, and let the teams have 1 rivalry game a year. id really just like OU and UT not to be in the same division, but keep the red river rivalry. I bet almost anything though that if ND comes they will ask for UT and OU to be in the opposite division.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
MC KAos;4567642 said:
i hope they next time they make divisions they make it like the big 10 did, not by geography but by quality of team, and let the teams have 1 rivalry game a year. id really just like OU and UT not to be in the same division, but keep the red river rivalry. I bet almost anything though that if ND comes they will ask for UT and OU to be in the opposite division.

Geography is a major issue as it not only causes teams to have longer travel times, but teams want their fans to travel to away games too. Many fly these days, but if the game is close. Fans can also drive which is much cheaper for them.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4568057 said:
Whoops, I wrote that backwards. :laugh2:

Indeed. ;)

I still think it's foolish to believe ND will join ANY conference until they are basically forced to as doing such will void their television contract with NBC, and even if that happens I think it will be the Big 10 that gets them. They've been playing MSU, Michigan and Purdue since the dawn of college football, it makes perfect geographical sense and they have a very Big 10-like atmosphere.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4568069 said:
Indeed. ;)

I still think it's foolish to believe ND will join ANY conference until they are basically forced to as doing such will void their television contract with NBC, and even if that happens I think it will be the Big 10 that gets them. They've been playing MSU, Michigan and Purdue since the dawn of college football, it makes perfect geographical sense and they have a very Big 10-like atmosphere.
ND does not really care for the B1G. The alums and the staff would rather go to the ACC or even Big 12 before the B1G. At least that's what I've heard from a few ND people and seen on message boards.

If the Big XII can get FSU, GT, Clemson, I think ND wouldn't mind that. They get to keep their TV deal and they get inroads to Florida and Texas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4568069 said:
Indeed. ;)

Well, I think that ND is quickly getting to that point. In another year, the opportunity to join the Big 12 may not be there and they would be forced to join a conference that would not allow for an independent TV contract deal. Neither the ACC or the Big 10 allows for that. That's the draw of the Big 12. If ND stays Independent, there is no Guarantee that their position improves under the new playoff alignment. It could get much worse. ND is not the draw it used to be. Under the Big 12, they get a worst a bowl game that is probably similar to the payoff they were getting as an independent. They get a chance to make more money if they get to the Big 12 Championship game. They likely have a chance to get more money if they place in the top two of a Big 12 Division because they will go to a bigger bowl. They will get more money if they win the Big 12 outright because they then play in the Big12/SEC Bowl matchup. They would make even more money if they happen to be good enough to go to the playoffs. Their chances of making more money are much greater in the Big 12, to say nothing of any 3rd tier TV rights.

I'd say the time is now for ND but who knows?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
StylisticS;4568195 said:
ND does not really care for the B1G. The alums and the staff would rather go to the ACC or even Big 12 before the B1G. At least that's what I've heard from a few ND people and seen on message boards.

If the Big XII can get FSU, GT, Clemson, I think ND wouldn't mind that. They get to keep their TV deal and they get inroads to Florida and Texas.

The contract with NBC is voided if Notre Dame joins a conference, and more specifically when they receive monetary gains from said conference. It doesn't matter if the conference in question allows independent TV deals or not.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4568292 said:
The contract with NBC is voided if Notre Dame joins a conference, and more specifically when they receive monetary gains from said conference. It doesn't matter if the conference in question allows independent TV deals or not.

I would be very skeptical of NBC voiding a contract with ND if they joined the Big 12. It would seem to me that if they did that, NBC would have no possibility of getting any major teams for College Football at all. Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC, Big East and PAC 12 are all locked up. They would be stuck with what, MWC, CUSA or something like that? No, it would be very foolish of NBC to pull the rights from ND if they landed in the Big 12. It would be much smarter of them to negotiate a deal with ESPN to continue to cover ND and the Big 12 in exchange for a contractual agreement with ND and a percentage of what will surely be a bigger deal for the Big 12 under a renegotiation that is sure to come. With the current situation, NBC would be screwed for a significant period of time in college football coverage if they yanked the rug from under ND for joining the Big 12.

Besides, even if NBC did that, ESPN would cover it in an attempt to capture ND Football and make the ND entry into the Big 12 happen. Either way, ND would not lose. Only NBC would lose IMO.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Many reputable sources beyond chinese whispers seem to think it inevitable the Big 12 expand significantly, Notre Dame has now discussed dumping all sports in the conference and joining football after 2015 tv contract expiration.

Miami is now also in the conversation in a serious manner.

big12_large.jpg

MC KAos

Reaction score
Aikbach;4569663 said:
Many reputable sources beyond chinese whispers seem to think it inevitable the Big 12 expand significantly, Notre Dame has now discussed dumping all sports in the conference and joining football after 2015 tv contract expiration.

big12_large.jpg

i would LOVE those additions, but i just dont see pitt leaving the ACC so quickly or ND joining the big 12 in football. i hope it happens though

DFWJC

Reaction score
Aikbach;4569663 said:

[URL="http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4110136/big12_large.jpg"][URL="http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4110136/big12_large.jpg"][URL="http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4110136/big12_large.jpg"] [/URL][/URL][/URL]
Then NC State and Va Tech to SEC
Then UNC, Duke, UVa, BC or Syracuse to Big 10 :)

Nah, if 4 Super Conferences were formed it would basically be sending the whole NCAA backwards from the at least semi-equity that they are trying to acheive before getting sued to death.

Since the SEC has left the door open for UNC for a decade now, so I am assuming they don't want to go there. That's why I put them in the Big 10. Who knows, maybe the ACC would stay in place and just steal the rest of old Big East players.