Speculation: FSU and Clemson to big 12?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
keeping thread bumped with new info as it comes in. if fsu doesn't announce big 12 affiliation by the 15th i'll wear the ACC logo as my avi. i'll be right in the long run but i am not a welcher, lol.

latest is big 12 tv deal will be announced this week. (dodds announced LHN was done which has the big 12 deal as a precursor). it's sitting with the lawyers now.

new big east tv deal said to ecl;ipse ACC deal... wow!!!

The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV

@delawarenole think about this. If FSU stays in the ACC UF, USF and UCF will get more TV money.

5 Aug Matt Hayes Matt Hayes ‏@Matt_HayesSN

No one saw that coming. @UCFSports: Big East TV deal "could exceed value" of ACCs (monetarily and exposure) @NickCarparelli tells 700 WLW ."

5 Aug The Dude of WV The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV

@Jim_Lamar your take on early reports Big East TV deal will eclipse that of ACC's.

5 Aug The Dude of WV The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV

@njknight3 somebody at ESPN has compromising photos of John Swofford.

5 Aug nj knight 3 nj knight 3 ‏@njknight3

@thedudeofwv enjoy RT @UCFSports New BE TV contract "could exceed value" of ACC TV deal monetarily & exposure wise per @NickCarparell.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Clemson AD leaving.

also

Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda

The 2 teams the SEC is targeting HEAVILY right now, UVA & UNC. It seems weird, I know, but that is the deal.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;4667745 said:
dfwjc,
avi changed.

if you want a different one just shoot it to me.

:laugh2: Well you honor your bet so I give it to you, although personally I think you should be beaten for wearing an ACC avatar. ;)

On a related note...heard that the ND/ACC relationship has heated up although still only as a partial member. Would not be shocked if ND actually gets football money from the ACC without being a football member.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;4667745 said:
dfwjc,
avi changed.

if you want a different one just shoot it to me.
Good to see a stand-up guy!
Had no doubt you'd hold up your end though.

Take it until the end of September and we'll call it even.

I'm sure this topic has plenty of legs going forward.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
ACC just announced a new $50 million exit fee for anyone who wants to leave.

So much for FSU and Clemson.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4722987 said:
ACC just announced a new $50 million exit fee for anyone who wants to leave.

So much for FSU and Clemson.
True.

You know my take ....they were not leaving anyway.
JMO of couse :eek::

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DFWJC;4722915 said:
Notre Dame to the ACC....except football, of course.

It's a good fit with overall sports and academics. It sounds like they will begin scheduling many new ACC schools (in addition to BC) in football as well.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8369070/sources-notre-dame-football-acc

Kudos to Swofford! This is what he promised Clemson that kept the ACC alive.

various notes:
The deal they struck actually came from Dodds. It is what he proposed to ND 6-18 months ago to join the Big 12.
Will be interesting to see how the ACC schedules games. With so many schools and a 5 game limit do you just hand ND their choice of games? Or do you take the top 5 finishers from the prior season?
How does the Orange Bowl tie-in look now? Almost guaranteed re-match?

From a ND perspective mark me down as this being insanely stupid. They apparently want to keep USC, Stanford and Navy yearly. Figure they actually keep 2 more schools as well. But they will have 2 California games for recruiting (against tough competition) and little else of value. The Coastal region outside of Virgnia is not heavy in football recruits. ND really needed to recruit Texas to start winning again. Florida is obviously a workable spot too but going against the SEC from the ACC hasn't worked, just as FSU. And now you have two schools trying to do the same thing.

I think this move stabilizes things for now but who knows how long it lasts.

If I am the Big 12 I take USF and Louisville to finish off the Big East. We get to that 4 super conference alignment and ever closer to the top 2 teams from each conference going to the 8 team playoffs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various tweets on subject. interesting morning!

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Wow ... Kudos to Notre Dame for swindling ANOTHER conference into bringing them in without football being part of the deal.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs

No reason for ACC to go to 16. Still 14, technically, if football.

LandThieves ‏@LandThieves

I bet you there is alot of phone tag going on between Uconn/Rutgers /Louisville/Cinci and the ACC/Big12 right now

Fake Dan Beebe ‏@DanBeebe

Whenever I need a good laugh, I just look at the Big East's membership timeline: http://******/Oq0Lzy

Cory Fravel ‏@CFravel247

Source told me Notre Dame will bring an extra 1 million per ACC school. ((( jt note---holy crap that's it???)))

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs

ND played four ACC teams last year, not going to be that hard.

CBSSports.com ‏@CBSSports

Notre Dame to the ACC could open the door for another Big East school to make the jump: http://cbsprt.co/NDBBall

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

Yes, the devil is in the details on the ACC's $50M exit fee, but that would sure look to lock in Florida State, others.

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla

Wondering if Louisville is next shoe to drop in conference realignment.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am SOOOOO glad that the Big 12 did not get bent over and agree to ND's demands. Lived with that crap in the Big East and wanted no part of it because I know ND would never agree to a full football membership.

As far as the $50 million buy out. Curious to see when that goes into play. One thing to vote on it and announce it but another thing to when it goes into effect.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723056 said:
I am SOOOOO glad that the Big 12 did not get bent over and agree to ND's demands. Lived with that crap in the Big East and wanted no part of it because I know ND would never agree to a full football membership.

As far as the $50 million buy out. Curious to see when that goes into play. One thing to vote on it and announce it but another thing to when it goes into effect.

Every WVU fan was scared to death the Big 12 would give ND that deal.
The Big 12 offered but they took the same deal with the ACC for easier path to BCS playoffs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723056 said:

At least your Mounties are where they want to be.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;4723059 said:
Every WVU fan was scared to death the Big 12 would give ND that deal.
The Big 12 offered but they took the same deal with the ACC for easier path to BCS playoffs.

I am willing to bet that when it is all said and done and all the facts came out...The ACC sweetened the pot a little more than than the Big 12 was willing to agree to. Just a little hunch. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;4723063 said:
At least your Mounties are where they want to be.

Agreed...same can not be said for FSU...right now.:D

DFWJC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723067 said:
I am willing to bet that when it is all said and done and all the facts came out...The ACC sweetened the pot a little more than than the Big 12 was willing to agree to. Just a little hunch. :D

I've never been a ND fan. Actually dislike them somewhat becasue of the special treatment they've gotten over the years.

But the ACC is a much more natural fit for them than the Big 12. Always has been.
They have a huge fan base in the eastern US and already established relationships with those former Big East schools (and some ACC schools) in FB and BB..and with the ACC in some other sports. Plus, the academic thing comes into play again.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723067 said:

very possible. rumor at one point was a double share.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

On ESPN just now, Bob Golic says Notre Dame decision came down to ACC or Big 12.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think this is probably the best deal that ND figured it could get.

Big 12- not good.

Big 10- door closed there years ago

so realistically this was the only way to go

ND will keep Navy and USC for certain; and probably work deals with Michigan and Stanford, plus either MSU or Purdue, every other year or so. Mixture of traditional rivals.

And having 5 traditional rivals plus 5 ACC leaves one slot to hit places like Oklahoma and Texas and such.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
burmafrd;4723087 said:
I think this is probably the best deal that ND figured it could get.

Big 12- not good.

Big 10- door closed there years ago

so realistically this was the only way to go

ND will keep Navy and USC for certain; and probably work deals with Michigan and Stanford, plus either MSU or Purdue, every other year or so. Mixture of traditional rivals.

And having 5 traditional rivals plus 5 ACC leaves one slot to hit places like Oklahoma and Texas and such.

ND could have chosen any conference but didn't want to give up football independence. The Big 10 didn't invite them as a partial member so it came down to ACC/Big 12. They didn't want to play 5 games versus Big 12 teams. Too hard to win them. The ACC provides reasonable schools like Virginia, UNC that are VERY beatable. ND will generally play 1 Big 12 opponent per year. They were already paying 3 and 4 ACC opponents.

Not sure how long this goes on before they are considered mediocre themselves. They need to put together some top 10 teams at some point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
okay i had to add this tweet.. hilarity.

Not Charles Barkley ‏@NotChuckBarkley

ACC got everything from Notre Dame BUT football. That's like marrying Kim K and not being able to touch her BUTT. #Turrible
Retweeted by Not Bill Walton

i edited butt.... yea.