Speculation: FSU and Clemson to big 12?

rkell87

Reaction score
The reality was bad, however. The initial bump in television revenue is actually just over $1 million a year, sources said, and a total in the $12 million range next season. The deal is back loaded so the bigger money comes in escalator provisions that, considering how broadcast rights keep growing, probably will be below market by the time any sizeable gains are realized.
That additional $4 million per school, per year? That won't come until 2021, nine years in, sources said.
Privately, almost everyone was troubled by the deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
rkell87;4559366 said:
The reality was bad, however. The initial bump in television revenue is actually just over $1 million a year, sources said, and a total in the $12 million range next season. The deal is back loaded so the bigger money comes in escalator provisions that, considering how broadcast rights keep growing, probably will be below market by the time any sizeable gains are realized.
That additional $4 million per school, per year? That won't come until 2021, nine years in, sources said.
Privately, almost everyone was troubled by the deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Interesting. It sounds like even if the Big12 hasn't talk to FSU they are ready to bolt to the Big12.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4559374 said:
Interesting. It sounds like even if the Big12 hasn't talk to FSU they are ready to bolt to the Big12.

Good article from the Orlando Sentinel that sums up where everything is at. This is starting to sound a little like Missouri when they eventually left for the SEC. President and AD say no, but the Board of Trustees are thinking otherwise.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2012/05/expansion-reset-where-fsu-the-big-12-and-acc-currently-stand.html

Things are starting to heat up!

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4559130 said:
Jimbo is right in saying you should always explore your options.
That is not at all saying that he thinks they should go to the Big 12. For the good of the school though, don't close the door without checking it out

The AD says there is misinformation out there regarding the third tier TV rights. If they gave them up to for football to ESPN (we know they kept them for hoops) then you could see why FSU might be ticked

Aikbach

Reaction score
From a football perspective that sure would up the competition from a year ago, WVU, TCU and FSU in 2013 would be incredible competition, good baseball too.

MC KAos

Reaction score
at this point i will be disappointed if this doesnt go down! i have a feeling ill be disappointed, but i guess we will see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4560371 said:
at this point i will be disappointed if this doesnt go down! i have a feeling ill be disappointed, but i guess we will see.
I agree.:laugh2:

Anyway, as you know, I think the ACC is the all-around better fit for FSU anyway. Sorry guys.

Now the SEC is a diff story.

Never say never though!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;4560390 said:
I agree.:laugh2:

Anyway, as you know, I think the ACC is the all-around better fit for FSU anyway. Sorry guys.

Now the SEC is a diff story.

Never say never though!

SEC won't happen DFW. Georgia, Florida and South Carolina won't let it happen. In order for FSU to get into the SEC, those three would have to vote it in and that aint likely to happen anytime soon.

Big 12 would be more likely IMO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4560600 said:
SEC won't happen DFW. Georgia, Florida and South Carolina won't let it happen. In order for FSU to get into the SEC, those three would have to vote it in and that aint likely to happen anytime soon.

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that the fit would be better for them in the SEC, imo.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4560600 said:

None of the SEC would. They have an unspoken agreement that they will not add another "in state" member to the mix. A&M and Mizzou extended their reach, so they were a natural fit.

IF (Big If) they were to further expand, they would probably go after Va Tech and NC State. They have wanted to push into North Carolina for a while now, but their first choice is North Carolina (who isn't moving). NC State would be the only team in North Carolina that would actually jump. Va Tech would push them up into Southern Virginia and the SEC would probably be the only conference that Tech would deal with the political backlash for.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;4560627 said:
Yeah, I know. I was just saying that the fit would be better for them in the SEC, imo.

No question. In a perfect world, that would be ideal for FSU.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know this person other than they have a cemetery hill avatar (cemetery hill is a blog or fan forum site for Clemson tiger fans)...so take it with a grain of salt...

Cory Fravel ‏ @CoryFravel
FSU to ask for Swofford's resignation @IngramSmith @louciaccia @TomahawkNation http://www.tomahawknation.com/ #chessnotcheckers
Collapse
Reply Retweet Favorite

==========

If this is true...I would imagine FSU is trying to force the ACC to say NO to them so they can later make a claim that they could not work with the Head of the ACC due to the Head of the ACC having FSU's best interest at heart.

JackWagon

Reaction score
They need to take the top 64 revenue producting schools and create a new league. Split into 4 regional divisions (east, Southeast, midwest, West). But that makes too much sense ... just ignore me.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Athlon Sports has several writers chiming in:

Here is just one of many....

Braden Gall (@BradenGall)
Superiority, stability, geography, academics, athletic competition and overall cultural philosophy all point to Florida State never joining the Big 12. The primary reason Texas A&M bolted for the SEC is it's inferiority complex surrounding Big Brother Texas. Right now, Florida State is still THE premiere program (no offense, Virginia Tech) in the ACC. Why would it risk taking a back seat to Texas and possibly Oklahoma? With Syracuse and Pitt scheduled to join the league in the very near future, the ACC also offers an incredibly stable 14-team battlefield for the Noles. Unless the Big 12 adds Louisville and three other teams, it won't be considered a safer situation. Additionally, sending its fans west of the Mississippi on a regular basis will alienate itself from its cultural core — the Southeast. Despite being a national brand, Florida State is a Sun Belt university, not a western power. This is something that a program like West Virginia has to do to survive, not FSU. Academically, the ACC is a superior conference to every other league in major football — and it's not even close. Highly-touted academics can create significant overall advantages for a university — whether the athletic departments ever publicly admit it or not. And finally, while football might be stronger in the Big 12, the ACC offers a higher level of athletic competition across all sports - hence, the new $3.6 billion TV contract extension with the mothership. Anyway you slice it, it feels like a horizontal move for Florida State.

:D

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;4560912 said:
The primary reason Texas A&M bolted for the SEC is it's inferiority complex surrounding Big Brother Texas.

Well, that and about $10 million a year extra.

Meanwhile:

@schadjoe: In memo, FSU Prez Barron writes, "the faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker"

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
The one thing I don't like in all of this is that FSU does not seem to be taking any of the blame for their situation. When Tech and Miami originally agreed to move over to the ACC back in July 2003, it was thought that the league was going to be a power player in College Football. Tech and FSU had played for the National Championship in 1999. The Hurricanes were National Champs in 2001 and runners up in 2002.

If those three teams would have lived up to the expectations people had back when Tech and Miami agreed to move over, then the ACC would have had a much richer deal on the table. The truth is that ACC football has underachieved in the last decade, that includes FSU.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4560948 said:
The one thing I don't like in all of this is that FSU does not seem to be taking any of the blame for their situation. When Tech and Miami originally agreed to move over to the ACC back in July 2003, it was thought that the league was going to be a power player in College Football. Tech and FSU had played for the National Championship in 1999. The Hurricanes were National Champs in 2001 and runners up in 2002.

If those three teams would have lived up to the expectations people had back when Tech and Miami agreed to move over, then the ACC would have had a much richer deal on the table. The truth is that ACC football has underachieved in the last decade, that includes FSU.

I don't see how it's any different than Texas or OU underachieving most of the 90s.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4560950 said:
I don't see how it's any different than Texas or OU underachieving most of the 90s.

The difference is that the TV deal they are peeved about was signed in 2012.