Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Okay, you're a Stats Prescott fan.
Stats and winning pct. prove nothing when not
comparing apples to apples.
His stats are why he has a good winning percentage and we’ve consistently made the playoffs with him. The only consistent thing Lawrence does is toss his hair around. If Lawrence had the numbers and winning percentage with us he’s had in Jacksonville the past three seasons no one would want him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How is Love less than Dak? He destroyed Dak in Daks backyard.
Damn, I didn’t know Love was playing defense as well as offense. Love was single handedly responsible for the Dallas lack of run defense and the offense’s inability to run the ball. Love should be MVP of the universe.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Dak's future prospects are whatever the current market value is for Dak. :rolleyes:
It's not likely to please our FO, nor our members, either! In the $55 mil area per year? :huh:

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
His stats are why he has a good winning percentage and we’ve consistently made the playoffs with him. The only consistent thing Lawrence does is toss his hair around. If Lawrence had the numbers and winning percentage with us he’s had in Jacksonville the past three seasons no one would want him.
You seem to be missing a key component.
Rather than attempt to explain it to you, I'll do this instead.

Dak had 403 yards passing in his last game.
He had great stats! Oh, by the way, he lost that game and was a big reason why the team was down 27-0 just before halftime and 48-16 after 3 quarters.

Stats don't mean much when they don't come with a win.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
It's more like players and their greedy agents know that. Aren't they the ones who keep running the costs for retaining such franchise QBs higher every year?
No, last I checked contracts are negotiated so the only way numbers go up is if ownership agrees to it.
And again, no one is stopping a team from tying salary to % of the cap. Teams don’t want that because they don’t benefit from the middle years of a contract where a great player isn’t getting top of the market.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think any of those guys are worth those projected amounts.

Jordan Love might be worth it next season if he has a great 2024 season, but not after one season of starting.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing more and more teams start moving on from most quarterbacks after their rookie contracts.

Many NFL quarterbacks (all positions really) are not worth tying up that much cap space when they are an injury away from being done for the season.

At some point, when a player requires you invest more than 15% of the salary cap in them, it makes more sense to throw numbers at the position rather than gamble that 1) the player will perform as or better than expected and 2) they will avoid injuries and be able to play at their expected level all season.
Typically wages are negotiated by the union. There ends up being a chart where years of service and step meet to determine pay. Sometimes there is a bump for getting a certificate or additional schooling.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, last I checked contracts are negotiated so the only way numbers go up is if ownership agrees to it.
And again, no one is stopping a team from tying salary to % of the cap. Teams don’t want that because they don’t benefit from the middle years of a contract where a great player isn’t getting top of the market.
(In  bold ^^^): How would teams not benefit from the middle years of a contract where a great player is not getting top of the market pay if a cap or % limit is set for a QB?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You seem to be missing a key component.
Rather than attempt to explain it to you, I'll do this instead.

Dak had 403 yards passing in his last game.
He had great stats! Oh, by the way, he lost that game and was a big reason why the team was down 27-0 just before halftime and 48-16 after 3 quarters.

Stats don't mean much when they don't come with a win.
You seem to not understand why those 2 INTs happened and who truly was responsible for them.

If I have to keep posting this video 100 times, so be it since some of you refuse to understand what happened, why it happened and who truly was responsible for it. It's lazy and easier just to blame it all on Dak.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'll second that!
Hey if they want a free market then make it a free market by dumping the salary cap all together!
But A salary cap totally dominated by QBs is not a free market. That provides a free market for QBs only!
BOOM! Nailed it!

:clap: :hammer:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typically wages are negotiated by the union. There ends up being a chart where years of service and step meet to determine pay. Sometimes there is a bump for getting a certificate or additional schooling.
I really do not care how much players are paid from a money perspective. My post was about dedicating 15% or more of the salary cap to one player.

For example, if the salary cap inceased to $500 million, then I would not care if any of those quarterbacks are paid $60-$65 million per year, because it would be below 15% ($75 million) at that point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Is Sportrac handling all contract negotiations now?
Maybe we should ask Kurt Warner first.

Personally, youth alone puts Love ahead of Dak.
He has a ton of upside and a cannon for an arm.
I wouldn't want to sign Tua. Too fragile.
Trevor Lawrence would be a great signing.
"Sunshine" QBing America's Team.
But Jacksonville will never let him go.
Just the fact you believe Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence are better QBs than Dak, regardless that they are younger, shows how much one should not take your posts seriously.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Damn, I didn’t know Love was playing defense as well as offense. Love was single handedly responsible for the Dallas lack of run defense and the offense’s inability to run the ball. Love should be MVP of the universe.
If you were told before the game the Cowboys would rush for 123 yards on 25 carries what would you say? Not good enough?

Redline360

Reaction score
One player went to a playoff team loaded with talent.
The other player went 1st overall... to Jacksonville.
I actually laughed our loud reading his comment. Some people don't even understand the simplest of basics let alone try and make in depth debates

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think any of those guys are worth those projected amounts.

Jordan Love might be worth it next season if he has a great 2024 season, but not after one season of starting.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing more and more teams start moving on from most quarterbacks after their rookie contracts.

Many NFL quarterbacks (all positions really) are not worth tying up that much cap space when they are an injury away from being done for the season.

At some point, when a player requires you invest more than 15% of the salary cap in them, it makes more sense to throw numbers at the position rather than gamble that 1) the player will perform as or better than expected and 2) they will avoid injuries and be able to play at their expected level all season.
I'm speechless, someone slap me over the head with a computer!!!!!!!!!!!!! POST OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has to stop, every team should get that QB and either draft one in 4 years, or draft 2 qb's if possible develop them in case the starter can't go. 50+ million a year is where it's at now, in a few years if this doesn't stop they'll be making 100 a year!! It has to end, this is a great way to go

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hear and agree with @Reality and @CowboysFaninHouston . I truly believe the NFL needs to put a cap on the amount paid for franchise QBs. That might help every team keep more talent and make the game more competitive.
Bro I've been saying this for years about every position, their has to be a capped out number, every year it's going up and up and up to the point of where you're struggling to build a team. Yes the money is coming in from the TV contracts etc, but it's too much

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For me, none of the players re worth some of the money being given in today’s NFL.
Dak is not worth 50 million.
Lamb is not worth 30 million.
Parsons is not worth 30 million for 2-3 plays per game.

But that’s the market. That’s part of an ever increasing salary cap. I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan, and for me, I much prefer Dak at QB for 50 million over all alternatives available until they draft a QB and give him the reins in year 1 or 2. I have zero interest in having more cap money but losing games because we have the worst QB in almost every game we play.

We have had cap space for years. We could have signed virtually anyone we wanted this year by getting those 3 deals done. The Joneses do mot believe in free agency. So I’m not worrying about the CAP.
2-3 plays a game for Micah!!!! Spot on, none really when the game matters or it's on the line in the playoffs. Making him the highest paid player ever, then in a year or so we're talking about how bad of a deal it was, the writing is kind of on the wall, but he still has time to hit his peak, I hope it comes really soon and it's consistent