Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
First of all, you don’t have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt in civil court. You only have to provide a preponderance of evidence.

Second of all, if it did happen, then I think it would be very easy to reveal during discovery (especially if the AAC people cooperated). If a judge thinks they have a legit case, they can call in AAC AD’s and ESPN execs to testify under oath, get phone records, chat logs, email, etc…. it’s not criminal court where you can choose not to testify….

Bowlsby seems 100% sure of himself. My personal theory is that an AAC AD (or conference commissioner) tipped Bowlsby with a little “hey guess what ESPN just called me about…”
B12 doesn't even have to win. They simply have to delay.
ESPN is losing so much money on the Longhorn network that they are the primary, motivating party.
With cable packages dwindling they are hemorrhaging cash on that deal.

DFWJC

Reaction score
South Carolina was an Independent.

Forgot Kentucky in SEC. And you forgot Texas Tech in SWC.

Note: Houston used to be an Independent too
Depending on how far back you go, South Carolina was in the ACC

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kansas showing that if basketball is long time elite, it cant be ignored
2nd biggest/most profitable sport and with a lot more games.
If they televise virtually every game you are going to make a lot of money.

B12 schools are right in mix with PAc12 in everything but Academics so will be interesting to see what happens here.

I'll keep shouting it into the void but the non SEC remaining P5 should all be very concerned about getting to 16 teams and signing a long grant of rights extension.
Unless they don't mind losing their top earners to a super conference that is.
Three 16 team conferences would be enough to push SEC into the fold. Less than that and it gets real dicey. SEC steals 8 more teams from those three and it is over for a true D1.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back when I lived for college football. January 1st used to be my favorite day of the year. I rarely even watch an entire game anymore.
Man, I used to live for Bowl Day, football every hour back when that wasn't the norm. I can remember when we were spoon fed college football on TV and every game was big because that was the only game. Just like the NFL was before MNF, SNF and TNF. Can there be too much of a good thing?

Given the choice, I will take college over the NFL for several reasons. It is more team oriented and less individual show off and I still dig hearing the band in the background and fans getting nuts. The jerky start/stop of NFL games because of the commercial inventory wears me out and tests my attention span. The worst college gets is on targeting calls and if the NFL called them, it would take 5 hours to get through a game.

But the best part of every college game is no talk about business or contracts, the business side is pushing me out of sports, I am just tired of hearing it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back to the huge SEC TV deal with ABC /ESPN which was signed back in December which ends their deal with CBS beginning in 2024. This apparently is what has fueled OU and TX to vault over to SEC.

The Sooners recently complained to Big 12 about all of their early 11am starts on Fox and ABC ( 5 or 6 a year) which commissioner seemed to blow off. Sooners weren’t happy and begin exploring other opportunities.

There concern was early starts not only didn’t reach the bigger time slots at 2:30 and 7:00 but it was difficult for them to fly in recruits for these early kick offs from East and west coast time zones .

This new deal with SEC and ABC/ ESPN addresses it with more afternoon and evening games. They felt this 11am time slot hurt their recruiting . And that it wasn’t just about the money.

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/football/the-real-reason-oklahoma-wants-out-of-the-big-12

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/sec-abc-espn-exclusive-tv-home-starting-2024-74660455
The undeniable fact is that the Commissioner of the Big 12 was more than willing to take back seat status against the SEC and allow the marquis game of the year, The Shootout, to get relegated to 11am, where the SEC usually put their least favored matchup.

OU, legitimately, has their sights set on the CFP every year and a lack of exposure can harm that, just ask the Pac 12 with 9-10pm starts.

OU and UT have watched the ACC, SEC and Big 10 get more exposure each year while they and the Pac 12 bring up the rear. The Big 12 showed little response to the concerns of their only two big dogs and now they will pay the price.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kansas showing that if basketball is long time elite, it cant be ignored
Would make sense for the ACC with Duke and NC to pull them in and give all the schools a W on the football side. However, the Big 10 could do the same thing and they do have NE.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Story today that the Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC are meeting to figure out how to deal with the first super conference.

And the SEC hasn't come to terms with how to do divisions or keep the conferences and keep the rivalries in place. One of their challenges is keeping the AU-UGA game, which has been going every year for 76 years.

One set up has AR-MO-OU-UT in the same division and no annual UT-A&M matchup. Fans aren't going to like that at all.

One interesting comment I saw was from one of the AD's that said ESPN/SECN will have a say because this is all about television. I found it interesting that he would openly admit that but then everybody knows that anyway.

I still like the plan to move AL and AU to the East and replace them with OU and UT. Matchups with UT against AR, OU, A&M and LSU get me all giddy. I wouldn't mind an annual matchup between UT and UT and only the winner can use that for one year, the loser has to use the full name.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Story today that the Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC are meeting to figure out how to deal with the first super conference.

And the SEC hasn't come to terms with how to do divisions or keep the conferences and keep the rivalries in place. One of their challenges is keeping the AU-UGA game, which has been going every year for 76 years.

One set up has AR-MO-OU-UT in the same division and no annual UT-A&M matchup. Fans aren't going to like that at all.

One interesting comment I saw was from one of the AD's that said ESPN/SECN will have a say because this is all about television. I found it interesting that he would openly admit that but then everybody knows that anyway.

I still like the plan to move AL and AU to the East and replace them with OU and UT. Matchups with UT against AR, OU, A&M and LSU get me all giddy. I wouldn't mind an annual matchup between UT and UT and only the winner can use that for one year, the loser has to use the full name.
I’d think Whorns would be more concerned with retaining OU rivalry than the Faggies. Unless Red Rivalry game was still scheduled like it used to be when they weren’t in same conference.

And the newlyweds would certainly love Bama and War Eagles moving to East. As would the rest of the West. I don’t think even LSU or Miss schools would miss them. Of course they’d still get to play every few years in rotation.

Personally I’d prefer Bama staying put to break our fleeing schools hearts more often.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d think Whorns would be more concerned with retaining OU rivalry than the Faggies. Unless Red Rivalry game was still scheduled like it used to be when they weren’t in same conference.

And the newlyweds would certainly love Bama and War Eagles moving to East. As would the rest of the West. I don’t think even LSU or Miss schools would miss them. Of course they’d still get to play every few years in rotation.

Personally I’d prefer Bama staying put to break our fleeing schools hearts more often.
A&M wants the rivalry because right now, they are the better team. The UT alums I know really miss the A&M rivalry and the jokes.

I don't see any way the Red Rivalry changes as the centerpiece to the Texas State Fair. When we first moved to Dallas, we made the mistake of thinking that would be a good time to take our 4 year old son to the Texas State Fair. Hey, they'll all be in the Cotton Bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A&M wants the rivalry because right now, they are the better team. The UT alums I know really miss the A&M rivalry and the jokes.

I don't see any way the Red Rivalry changes as the centerpiece to the Texas State Fair. When we first moved to Dallas, we made the mistake of thinking that would be a good time to take our 4 year old son to the Texas State Fair. Hey, they'll all be in the Cotton Bowl.
I finally attended a Red River Rivalry in 2010. Great experience !!
But we don’t do the fair anymore. I went that year to see the Landry exhibit . That was it and the game. Loved it!!

The Tx/OU rivalry was always the biggest because they were great teams. Most of my lifetime Faggies have suked. But yea I could see them wanting cause they think they are better now.

No school is hated more than in College Station even by other in state rivals.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score

If they do that, I hope they expand to 9 conference games and drop the permanent out-of-division rival. That way you’d see everyone in the other division one out of every 4 years which still sucks, but is probably the least bad of all solutions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Talks of a scheduling Alliance between the Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC and ND makes some sense.
Nips this this panicked, knee-jerk expansion talk at the bud and brings huge value.

not sure where that leaves the two “tweener” conferences (American and remaining Big 12)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talks of a scheduling Alliance between the Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC and ND makes some sense.
Nips this this panicked, knee-jerk expansion talk at the bud and brings huge value.

not sure where that leaves the two “tweener” conferences (American and remaining Big 12)
Remaining Big 12 hopes to get absorbed in the other 3 Power 5's because they are no longer 1 of the 5. It is Power 4 now.

Since this is really all about one thing, the TV money, the Pac 12 needs to stop the rhetoric and move into the Central Time Zone. I am a college football hound and I struggle with 9:30PM kickoffs after a full day of football.

If I am the Pac 12, I move on OSU and TCU immediately and get into the 5th TV market in the country. TCU should have already changed their name, they are not what that name signifies and have cut all ties from how that originated.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

If they follow through there I'd expect the Big12 to fold into the other 3 conferences.
The American doesn't have the overall footprint to compete that the remaining B12 does because they have all made a ton of money. For all the B12's self-immolation problems they have been the 3rd highest paying conference and those 8 remaining schools are about to get very well paid as they split up OU/UT money.
That money has led to Texas Tech for instance to build a 16000 seat basketball arena with a top 10 overall basketball budget.
Big stadiums, large student bodies bodes well as things shake out.

As a Tech alum I'd like to see them join the PAC 16 with OKST, TCU, Baylor. Form an 8 team, Plains division with Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado.
That could also further divide into 2 4 team Pods for those sports that is makes sense in.

But there is no doubt the power conferences outside the SEC must join forces and begin to flex collective muscle or watch the SEC create a 24 team super league featurin their brand name schools.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Remaining Big 12 hopes to get absorbed in the other 3 Power 5's because they are no longer 1 of the 5. It is Power 4 now.

Since this is really all about one thing, the TV money, the Pac 12 needs to stop the rhetoric and move into the Central Time Zone. I am a college football hound and I struggle with 9:30PM kickoffs after a full day of football.

If I am the Pac 12, I move on OSU and TCU immediately and get into the 5th TV market in the country. TCU should have already changed their name, they are not what that name signifies and have cut all ties from how that originated.
TCU is still a non state, private school and its ratings and alumni base in DFW aren't even as high as Texas Tech.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If they follow through there I'd expect the Big12 to fold into the other 3 conferences.
The American doesn't have the overall footprint to compete that the remaining B12 does because they have all made a ton of money. For all the B12's self-immolation problems they have been the 3rd highest paying conference and those 8 remaining schools are about to get very well paid as they split up OU/UT money.
That money has led to Texas Tech for instance to build a 16000 seat basketball arena with a top 10 overall basketball budget.
Big stadiums, large student bodies bodes well as things shake out.

As a Tech alum I'd like to see them join the PAC 16 with OKST, TCU, Baylor. Form an 8 team, Plains division with Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado.
That could also further divide into 2 4 team Pods for those sports that is makes sense in.

But there is no doubt the power conferences outside the SEC must join forces and begin to flex collective muscle or watch the SEC create a 24 team super league featurin their brand name schools.
That’s a sensible solution. OK St, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor to PAC 12.

And I’d look for Kansas, Iowa St to go to Big 10. K St who knows and W Virginia on their own , possibly ACC.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

SEC and TAMU have blocked every opp to play UT in any sport thus far.
TAMU wanted no part of playing UT and doesn't want them in the conference.

But yes fans wanted the rivalry back very badly and TAMU is at least theoretically better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
SEC and TAMU have blocked every opp to play UT in any sport thus far.
TAMU wanted no part of playing UT and doesn't want them in the conference.

But yes fans wanted the rivalry back very badly and TAMU is at least theoretically better.
Agreed. Well said!

Faggies want no part of Whorns. Fans might want it is correct.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TCU is still a non state, private school and its ratings and alumni base in DFW aren't even as high as Texas Tech.
If you are the Pac 12, you going to pick a school in Lubbock to play USC and Oregon or one in the 5th largest market in the country? And a team consistently ranked higher in the rankings than Tech. The Pac 12 isn't interested in a footprint in a small market when they get into the 5th market. LA, DAL, SF, SEA, DEN and PHO is a nice footprint for sponsors.

The perception would be that TCU is playing up when they face off against OR, USC, WA as opposed to when they play OU or OSU. The games get a bigger stage because the fans were used to the OU and OSU and even Texas. It is big name ball like Notre Dame.