Texas Rangers 2012 Thread

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4584038 said:
They also playing in the only division that doesn't have more then one team with a winning record. Lets not get crazy Rosh. One 3 game series where you get swept by a division opponent and you could be looking at a game and a half. If you were playing in the East, I think it would be a much different story. Be that as it may, as I said before, I think Texas is OK right now but if they allow another team to get hot and they continue to struggle with their pitching, they could have issues. That's a fair statement. I don't know what you could have a problem with in that statement.

The Rangers could fall 5 games out of the West tomorrow, and it would still be 3 months away from any significant time to worry. Peaks and valleys occur in every 162 game season, and the fact that they fell off the pace of April is nothing to be surprised about ... considering if they had stayed on their April course they might have had the best regular season in modern baseball history. The bottom line is they're a really, really, really good team and nothing that has happened thus far, even in the last 3 weeks, suggests they won't be in the playoffs in October. Once they get into the playoffs, it's largely going to come down to luck.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
RamziD;4584108 said:
Not me. I've been a Rangers fan since before Jose Canseco was bouncing balls of his head in the outfield :laugh2:

Not accusing you or ABQCowboy of being a bandwagon fan. I"m mainly addressing the handwringing going on today in Rangerland, in general. When you've followed baseball a long time you don't get nearly as swept up in micro hot and cold streaks of a 162 game season.

Mike_45

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4584134 said:
Not accusing you or ABQCowboy of being a bandwagon fan. I"m mainly addressing the handwringing going on today in Rangerland, in general. When you've followed baseball a long time you don't get nearly as swept up in micro hot and cold streaks of a 162 game season.

I wish most football turned baseball fans would realize this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4584128 said:
The Rangers could fall 5 games out of the West tomorrow, and it would still be 3 months away from any significant time to worry. Peaks and valleys occur in every 162 game season, and the fact that they fell off the pace of April is nothing to be surprised about ... considering if they had stayed on their April course they might have had the best regular season in modern baseball history. The bottom line is they're a really, really, really good team and nothing that has happened thus far, even in the last 3 weeks, suggests they won't be in the playoffs in October. Once they get into the playoffs, it's largely going to come down to luck.

They could. They could fall 10 games out or they could gain 10 games but I don't think it's out of ordinary for a fan to worry about how the team is performing. It's early but that's part of being a fan. I don't know how you get on somebody for following the team? That just doesn't make sense to me. I can tell you right now that as a Yankee fan, I am seriously worried about our pitching. Heck, I am wondering if we will even have anybody in our rotation that started there at the beginning of the season. It's a different situation for Texas or course but I don't think it's bad to worry about pitching. There are years when pitching doesn't come around and you got what you got.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Feldman's gotta go...or go back to the bullpen permanently. 5 straight games of not getting past 5 innings, that's embarrassing. He had an opportunity to "Miles Austin" his way into the rotation permanently and he blew it

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4583976 said:
Right now the biggest concerns are Nellie and Young. Josh's crazy spring covered up some warts in that lineup. At 35 years old, gotta wonder if the age isn't catching up to Young and if last year wasn't a fluke. We're now in June, it's getting a little late in the season for him to still be batting below .700 OPS. When your 1st baseman is slugging below .400 in that ballpark it's a problem. Nellie is 32 years old and has a lot of wear and tear on that body. Starting to wonder if we aren't beginning to see the start of a decline of his career arc. I'm not saying it's panic time, but I would start eyeballing some potential DH/1B types that might be available at reasonable price at the trading deadline, even if it's just to add a platoon bat.

I would completely disagree with this.

Young is still as solid as ever. He was in a slump for a few weeks (as every player goes through). Along with being a super utility infielder and the unofficial team captain. As long as he is getting his hits, which he is, (at a .288 batting average) he has significant value especially when you throw him in with the big bats around him. Also Young has never been a slugger he has been a hitter meaning he doesn't hit for power. He drives in runs (which I'll admit has been lacking this year, but I think his spot in the lineup has something to do with that) and gets to first base.

Nellie I think has improved his defense significantly this year which was his major weakness. And Cruz has always been a streaky player, but usually the way he can get hot for games at a time makes him worth it ('11 playoffs).

And with Napoli and Moreland playing first it is working out well. You can't have a .300 hitter at every spot. And with your bench players of Snyder, Gonzalez, and Murphy who you can plug in at anytime and get production it makes for a very solid lineup. Though inconsistent at times, but that's just the way baseball go.

But you may very well be right as well. Just my opinion of course. And I mean no disrespect.

juck

Reaction score
We need a nice lil win streak here before break comes.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
juck;4584875 said:
We need a nice lil win streak here before break comes.

It seems like every time we lose the Angels lose, and every time we win the Angels win.

RamziD

Reaction score
Wow, is there a fatter pitcher in MLB than Bartolo Colon?

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Oakland A's.... Ranger killers. Sigh.

Angels are down 1 in the 6th though.

RamziD

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4585821 said:
Oakland A's.... Ranger killers. Sigh.

Angels are down 1 in the 6th though.

Colby pitched a good game, too. Bummer.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Welp this will be a much tougher year than 2010 and 2011. The AL West is much better from top-to-bottom. The Mariners and A's are not guaranteed series wins anymore...only a 10-11 record in the division so far

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Rangers are floundering right now, but playing well enough to still be up 12 games over .500. That is a good sign. All teams flounder during a long season. They will turn it around.

Young is definitely starting to decline, but I wouldn't count him out yet. He is still a great player.

juck

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4585998 said:
The Rangers are floundering right now, but playing well enough to still be up 12 games over .500. That is a good sign. All teams flounder during a long season. They will turn it around.

Young is definitely starting to decline, but I wouldn't count him out yet. He is still a great player.

Better to flounder now then in september/oct

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Here we go again...the A's and Mariners know they can beat us. That fear factor isn't there anymore

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4585998 said:

This is how I feel about it as well.

Mike_45

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4586651 said:
This is how I feel about it as well.

I only hope that they can recover from this flounder. Its getting pretty awful. Not time to panic and trade everyone, but still they need to start playing better overall.

Almost like with the hot start they got complacent. But I don't think the Angels will continue to play how they have as well. They got hot when the Rangers got cold. I expect more back and forth the whole season, but this streak of incompetence is starting to worry me.