Texas Rangers 2012 Thread

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4616616 said:
Ugh this is one of the dumbest stipulations in the history of pro sports. For something so important, it comes down to an exhibition game. Even Verlander said after the game that "he had fun." :bang2:
It really is nuts.
Dumbest thing ever in sports and even tops the BCS. lol

MC KAos

Reaction score
why cant they just make it the team with the best record? hell, even making the winning league of interleague play makes more sense than this!

RamziD

Reaction score
MC KAos;4616973 said:
why cant they just make it the team with the best record? hell, even making the winning league of interleague play makes more sense than this!

This.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4616616 said:
Ugh this is one of the dumbest stipulations in the history of pro sports. For something so important, it comes down to an exhibition game. Even Verlander said after the game that "he had fun." :bang2:

The reason they changed it was the game was becoming the pro bowl. It had no meaning so players were deciding to skip it.

RamziD

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;4617666 said:
The reason they changed it was the game was becoming the pro bowl. It had no meaning so players were deciding to skip it.

Don't players usually have contract clauses that give them bonuses if they are voted All-stars? Why not make those bonuses contingent on them actually playing in the game (barring injury, of course)? Or have other monetary incentives. The whole point of the All-Star game is for the league to make extra money off the players, so I'm sure they can spare a little more of the profits. I'm sure they can think of something other than this current nonsense.

RamziD

Reaction score
BTW, the Rangers are in a hitting slump of sorts. I'd wager that Napoli's and Hamilton's July BA are about .150 and .200, respectively.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
RamziD;4617855 said:
BTW, the Rangers are in a hitting slump of sorts. I'd wager that Napoli's and Hamilton's July BA are about .150 and .200, respectively.

Month of July

Kinsler .310 1 RBI
Andrus .172 0
Hamilton .174 2
Beltre .310 2
Cruz .393 4
Young .241 4
Murphy .286 0
Napoli .111 0
Gentry .190 0

But this is a small sampling because there have only been 7 games in July. 5 of them losses. When you lose you generally aren't hitting and everyone knew the hitting was cold in that five game losing streak.

But yes the hitting has been cold lately. It will come back around. I'm not so sure about Napoli though, he just seems lost at the plate.

RamziD

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4618074 said:
Month of July

Kinsler .310 1 RBI
Andrus .172 0
Hamilton .174 2
Beltre .310 2
Cruz .393 4
Young .241 4
Murphy .286 0
Napoli .111 0
Gentry .190 0

But this is a small sampling because there have only been 7 games in July. 5 of them losses. When you lose you generally aren't hitting and everyone knew the hitting was cold in that five game losing streak.

But yes the hitting has been cold lately. It will come back around. I'm not so sure about Napoli though, he just seems lost at the plate.

Thanks for looking that up. I accidentally wrote July when I meant June. I bet if you go look at the last 25 games you will still see around .200 for Josh and .150 for Nap.

Zordon

Reaction score
2nd half schedule breakdown. We still have a lot of games vs. the Angels left.

2nd half schedule breakdown

Texas-

Los Angeles 13 games (3-3)
Oakland 9 games (5-5)
Seattle 9 games (5-5)
Kansas City 7 games (0-2)
Boston 6 games (2-0)
Tampa Bay 6 games (1-2)
Cleveland 6 games (1-2)
Minnesota 4 games (4-1)
New York 4 games (2-1)
Toronto 3 games (4-2)
Baltimore 3 games (3-1)
Chicago 3 games (2-4)
Detroit 3 games (5-2)

Los Angeles-

Texas 13 games (3-3)
Seattle 12 games (5-2)
Oakland 10 games (4-5)
Detroit 10 games (0-0)
Tampa Bay 7 games (0-3)
Boston 6 games (0-0)
Chicago 6 games (1-1)
Kansas City 6 games (1-2)
New York 3 games (3-3)
Cleveland 3 games (2-4)

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
RamziD;4618878 said:
Thanks for looking that up. I accidentally wrote July when I meant June. I bet if you go look at the last 25 games you will still see around .200 for Josh and .150 for Nap.

Here is the last 30 games.

Beltre .391 17
Murphy .367 13
Gentry .304 4
Andrus .297 8
Cruz .284 17
Kinsler .277 10
Snyder .267 1
Young .228 11
Hamilton .222 13
Martin .207 5
Torrealba .182 4
Napoli .164 1

Feldman has as many RBIs as Napoli in the last 30 games to put that into perspective. To say Napoli has been cold is a flat out understatement. Napoli has been what the Angels thought they were getting rid of. I sure hope he can turn it around.

Young and Hamilton have been cold as well, but they seem to be making the most out of their at bats.

Look for Young to get a lot of time at first base this month until Moreland can make it back. Young getting so much time there because we have four consistent outfielders with Cruz, Murphy, and Hamilton who can all DH. Until Napoli starts hitting again I would just rotate catcher with him and Torrealba. This is just my opinion of course.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Napoli is one player I can see us not extending. I really wish we had a young catcher in the farm.

Beltre and Hamilton are perfect. One of them seems to always be swinging a hot bat. Two superstars.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Zordon;4619344 said:
2nd half schedule breakdown. We still have a lot of games vs. the Angels left.

For the next three games, Go Yankees! :laugh2:

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4619512 said:
For the next three games, Go Yankees! :laugh2:

Yankees win Rangers win. Back to a 5 game lead.

The Rangers win a squeaker 3-2. Bottom of the ninth got a little hairy but we pulled out the W.

Zordon

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4619487 said:
Napoli is one player I can see us not extending. I really wish we had a young catcher in the farm.

Beltre and Hamilton are perfect. One of them seems to always be swinging a hot bat. Two superstars.
highly doubt it. he looked terrible again tonight.

the one thing we are lacking in our farm system is a quality catcher. not really sure what we're going to do there for the future.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Zordon;4619736 said:

the one thing we are lacking in our farm system is a quality catcher. not really sure what we're going to do there for the future.

Yeah I don't see Napoli getting a good contract here unless he really turns it on. And I assume Hamilton will get a big paycheck. And I would like to resign Lewis because he likes it in Texas and won't cost a lot.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t540&t=p_pbp&pid=544253
I like this guy down in Double A. But there has to be a reason he is still there. I would mind calling anyone up at this point. Torrealba and Napoli's production lately has been quite sad. But I think they also do a great job with the pitchers that I don't think a rookie could do. So we are stuck with what we have, just hope they get better.

Kristen82

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4619783 said:
Yeah I don't see Napoli getting a good contract here unless he really turns it on. And I assume Hamilton will get a big paycheck. And I would like to resign Lewis because he likes it in Texas and won't cost a lot.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t540&t=p_pbp&pid=544253
I like this guy down in Double A. But there has to be a reason he is still there. I would mind calling anyone up at this point. Torrealba and Napoli's production lately has been quite sad. But I think they also do a great job with the pitchers that I don't think a rookie could do. So we are stuck with what we have, just hope they get better.

The '13 FA pool of C's is pretty sad: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=177 That means it'll be a seller's market which'll drive up Nap's contract demands. I wonder what we'll do.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Zordon;4619736 said:

Maybe we turn a guy like Olt into a catcher?

RamziD

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4620087 said:
Maybe we turn a guy like Olt into a catcher?

We need a power-hitting 1st baseman as much as we need a C.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
RamziD;4620137 said:
We need a power-hitting 1st baseman as much as we need a C.

Trade Olt for a Catcher. Shift Kinsler to 1st, Andrus to 2nd, and call up Profar.