News: TF: Cowboys offer to Zeke approaches Gurley deal with a catch

lostar2009

Reaction score
That's where I'm at as well.

Nothing personal, no slight to his obvious abilities as a player.

But it's just not good business to set the running back market after the bad Gurley contract and to be forced to rely on an unreliable person.

Although I absolutely think a deal between Zeke and the Cowboys is ultimately worked out, I just wonder if it's ultimately the right decision long term?

If Zeke get his act together then fine. But we all know base on his history it isn't going to happen. The last time I felt this kind of way about a player was when there was rumors about of us drafting Randy G. Just look how that turn out. This team need to get ride of these selfish trouble makers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Zeke get his act together then fine. But we all know base on his history it isn't going to happen. The last time I felt this kind of way about a player was when there was rumors about of us drafting Randy G. Just look how that turn out. This team need to get ride of these selfish trouble makers.

Even if he did, I don't consider it "fine" for a team that invested so much in their offensive line to where they didn't need to invest in a top running back not only drafted one 4th overall, but then went and made him the highest paid in the league in a league that by and large doesn't pay running backs?

That's not "fine" with me.

Just my opinion.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Even if he did, I don't consider it "fine" for a team that invested so much in their offensive line to where they didn't need to invest in a top running back not only drafted one 4th overall, but then went and made him the highest paid in the league in a league that by and large doesn't pay running backs?

That's not "fine" with me.

Just my opinion.

True they was going to pay Zeke but didn't intend to do so right now. They need that Dak deal done first.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just wait till Cooper wants to get paid. Something tells me it may get just as bad. But Cooper is pretty quiet.

aria

Reaction score
Houston. The Texans need a RB. He'll love that line.
I think trading him to AZ for Johnson plus a draft pick would make sense. Between Johnson and Pollard we would have two nice RB’s that wouldn’t have to carry the load and would have good success behind this O lone. We would dump “The Entitled One” while simultaneously save a large amount of cap space, the headaches, get up a draft pick and see how great he is behind that O line all at once. It would be absolutely beautiful?

superonyx

Reaction score
Stupid Rams ruined the RB market for everyone.
I'm not sure I agree that the Rams ruined the RB market. Gurley never even hit Free Agency.
If Zeke, Gurley, Barkley were to actually become true free agents you would see a true resetting of the RB market.

Its been free agency that messes up position markets. Crap like Sammy Watkins getting 16M per year to suck drives up real WR's value like Cooper ect.

The RB market has been artificially held down partly due to past RB's sucking. The RB position has been stuck with mediocre talent for several years. We like to say the game changed to make the RB's less valuable but maybe the lack of talent at RB also contributed to the changes we see in the game.....at least to a degree.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Therein lies the sword of Damocles for Zeke. If that kind of clause is at stake, will he blink?

No he will not blink as even his Papa knows that without him our Offense is disaster city you know like BOOM in Batman!!! lol
Jerry and Son will Blink and I predict it will be by this coming Monday...
Now ask why are we going to pay all these millions of Cap $$$ to a HB that is the real disaster that no one wants to answer for?????

superonyx

Reaction score
I just hope that the Cowboys don't.

While I understand that having Elliott gives what they consider a championship contender it's best chance to win it all this year, they need to be careful not to get reckless with a contract for it.

Instead of bending to this one player, they should be doing everything they can to protect themselves, and turning up the heat on that one player.

Alfred Morris is in no way any sort of an adequate replacement for Elliott. Not by himself, not in a committee. The guy just isn't special and is a high volume running back who needs a huge amount of carries to put up numbers. The team should be trying to do better to stock up a committee group to collectively give them their running game production.

Elliott is a great player, but he's not indispensable. The offensive line is the engine that makes this run game go.
While I agree that the offensive line can get most mid tier RB's to throw up some stats (Darren McFadden), there is a difference to the passing game and overall game planning that a player at Zeke's level has on the game that you dont get with a McFadden, Morris type of RB. Sure they can all get the 4ypc. But they won't all have defensive coordinators gameplanning to hold this in check. This has a real impact on the entire game and what your offense can do that doesnt show up on a stat sheet.

As you know there are many complex layers and moving parts to offensive success and a player Zeke's caliber is felt.

J-man

Reaction score
I'm so tired of this drama. If I'm Jerry and Stephen I'm telling Zeke, here's your deal sign it, and get your *** to camp. Or you won't ever play football again. We own your rights for another 2 years. It's either play for us of don't play at all. Your choice, end of story.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seeing the pattern of contracts the last 3-5 years, I'd bet Stephen is putting a character clause in all offers to Zeke - and that's why Zeke hasn't signed the offer.

Zeke's agent knows how immature and childish he is!

The guaranteed money in contracts is guaranteed if the team cuts the player or the player has a career ending injury before all guaranteed money has been paid out.
  • What is not guaranteed per se is in the situation where the player gets suspended.
  • The structure of the contract can have a huge impact on how much the player loses when suspended.
  • The guaranteed money can be divided into 3 basic categories:
    • Signing Bonus
    • Base Salary (guaranteed in specific seasons)
    • Roster Bonuses
Base salaries are paid out over the 17 weeks of the season.
  • If a player is suspended, he does not get paid 1/17th of the base salary for each week suspended.
  • If that season has a "guaranteed" base salary, he loses guaranteed money for being suspended.
  • If the player receives a roster bonus in March, he does not lose that if suspended after March.
  • The issue with signing bonuses is a little more complicated but the point is that the contract structure is significant with regards to suspensions.
  • They can put other language into contracts with regards to conduct.

They structured the contract for Dez differently than other contracts.
  • Much of that structure was aimed not giving him too much too soon.
  • They were worried that he would spend all of the signing bonus and 1st year salary and be broke by March of year 2.
  • They didn't want his off-season or in-season performance to be turned upside down because he was out of money.
  • They also didn't want to give him all of the guaranteed money as a signing bonus because he might quit.
  • If he quit then they couldn't collect the prorated portion of the bonus that he would owe them.
  • They structured the contract such that if he quit, he would lose a massive portion of the guaranteed money.

aikemirv

Reaction score
i still can't believe we're operating at or near the Gurley deal, that was an absolute aberration

the Bell deal is the more logical benchmark
But Bell has the same off the field issues as Elliot. Is it just a benchmark for Elliott or the position? David Johnson is at the same level as Bell.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just wait till Cooper wants to get paid. Something tells me it may get just as bad. But Cooper is pretty quiet.

Honestly, I think Coop will be the hardest to resign.........coz what we already have invested. His agent will try and leverage it. But I'm content tagging him a couple of times and walk. That would give us 3 and half years of his service, enough to pay for the 1st rounder IMO. Not to mention, it also gives us a couple of years the find his replacement......

HanD

Reaction score
what happens when both sides say take it or leave it?

cowboys start the fines and zeke doesn't play but makes almost no money this year after all the fines. if he shows up to play week 10 because he needs to move his contract forward a year, dallas runs the crap out of him. rinse repeat for next year.

then dallas tags him and rinse repeat another year.

he basically would play like 5 weeks a year for the next 3 years if dallas doesn't tag him a second time and then would see no where near the contract he is demanding right now is my guess. see leveon.

both sides would lose but IMO it'd be a way stupid move for zeke.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
And it's hard to gauge how truly 'tops' a player is when they walk into the best situation for their position in the entire league.

The two guys before Elliott had great years because they played behind this offenseive line. In fact, Murray had a year that the 'top player' Elliott has yet to approach. So how truly great is a player that steps into that position and still hasn't matched what was done before him?

As I said, feel free to tell me I'm wrong I feel he's ever traded. It's simply never going to happen.
Not to mention that Zeke has been in decline ever since his rookie year. He came out of the gate as a beast. His performance has been slightly worse every year since. As a rookie he didn't try to mirror the running style of Leveon Bell and somewhere along the way, he changed how he ran to be that "patient" runner which is not really his style. His rookie year, he ran over dudes and hit the hole FAST. He also had longer runs. He is a great RB no doubt, but at the cost of breaking up the all around talent level of this team? That is what has to be decided.

Dak is another one, if he demands $30mm+ it will force Dallas to dump real good players and cause them to be top heavy again and not much at the base. This is what kills teams the most. It is why the Pat's have been so dominant for so long. Tom Brady is not only the best QB by far, he is one of the most UNSELFISH players ever. Imagine if he had Dak and Zekes me first, pay me attitude? His team would be a shell of what it is. Because Bob Kraft would have happily paid Tom the largest salary to keep him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Which only reinforces my point that the Cowboys line made him as well. Thanks for the help.
And he still wasn't close to Murray's 1,845 yards. Whether he played or not.

LOL ! .. "whether play or not ?" .. what sense does this make ? , if you don't play - you simply don't get any chance at ANY record. ..
- that shouldn't enforce your point , but little question i'm sure you're gonna do everything in your power to detour it to try to make it your point

Simple. If you did your research, you would know that the offensive line have continually made the running backs, so you wouldn't need an elite one, much left have to pay tops in the league. That was the entire reasoning for why they let Murray leave in free agency in the first place, remember? Likely not.

- If that were true that about it's just the OL , then the Cowboys would have re-signed Murray,.. if that were true that it was about just the OL, .. then the Cowboys would have opted for CB Jalen Ramsey rather RB Zeke Elliott as the 4th overall pick in 2016. and sought more to draft an eventual starting RB later in the draft.

But the sole plan was to combine a dynamic RB with a dynamic Offensive Line.
Ironically from an organization that experienced first hand how that combination formula placed us on the map as an NFL power.

And maybe they to might have a point.
Again you fail to realize that just because something happens, doesn't mean that it's a good thing. Just like that Garropolo contract you bring up. But I guess that didn't occur to you either?

Equally wise, what you're failing to realize is one player or another is going always to set the market, for a particular position, whether you deem it good thing or not , that's gonna be the nature of the business when it regards to market value, but what the Cowboys themselves can and have powers that be in their control is how they approach the market that includes re-signing their own players,
as they have already done so, in re-signing core players ..vs not overpaying average/serviceable types and allowing them to walk.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yes! I keep saying that show me one SB in this era with an Overpaid QB WR or RB on O ..NONE the Rams got gifted a SB but wasn't Gurley the highest paid Donald Highest paid and they got there, no win... ATL got there with high priced QB and Wr and highly paid but not market Rbs, no win.. but no winners of modern day SBs had the market setter on any part of their offense from my memory..
Last year not ONE Market QB made it to the playoffs, not one..at least Gurley made it to the SB :) the argument can be made at all positions, the smart teams have figured out how to build team without any of these at the time they went to and won the SB.. when HOF type QBs can take 23 mil and great RBs come in for chump change and WR take less with NE , they all still are great players but took less.. take great coach and Gm added to it.. thats the key.. you cant just say hey we can do that and it happens..

Exactly,
Pull up the teams that have won. And we can go through each one until you learn that the workhorse back is by far the exception.

Yes, I would say that you don't have to have an elite receiver either.
Really cause I looked at the last five and found that an Elite WR was the exception. Marshawn won more recently than an Elite WR.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it doesnt matter he cant take that back, gimmee a break! he said it in public he cant go back on that without blowback..

its in hard writing the internet doesnt forget and Zeke and his agent do not..
If that were the true case then Brees, Foles, and Brady reset the QB market and Dak should take 23?? LMAO... right? so if a WR in Amaris area of production takes less then the next biggest one we can say see new market..

we both know players arent buying that and Zeke shouldnt either.. Im not saying I agree with Zeke at this moment I feel the latest offer is win win and he should take it but he has right to ask for what he feels hes worth and hes the only layer up for contract that has the MARKET Setting Argument..the ONLY ONE.. we both know Dak and Amari arent top 5 at their positions but turned that down..

noones fitting anything SJ said it was out there, doesnt matter its said it done..they all talk to much its the Jones's achilleas heal and I blame them for all these dumb comments..Hey JOnes boy **** already..

Comments to the media are not binding legally.

When SJones said mentioned the Gurley contract, I think he meant that Zeke's expectation was now set based on Gurley's contract.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he will not blink as even his Papa knows that without him our Offense is disaster city you know like BOOM in Batman!!! lol
Jerry and Son will Blink and I predict it will be by this coming Monday...
Now ask why are we going to pay all these millions of Cap $$$ to a HB that is the real disaster that no one wants to answer for?????
We all know that Jerry will blink!

quickccc

Reaction score
Not to mention that Zeke has been in decline ever since his rookie year. He came out of the gate as a beast. His performance has been slightly worse every year since. As a rookie he didn't try to mirror the running style of Leveon Bell and somewhere along the way, he changed how he ran to be that "patient" runner which is not really his style. His rookie year, he ran over dudes and hit the hole FAST. He also had longer runs. He is a great RB no doubt, but at the cost of breaking up the all around talent level of this team? That is what has to be decided.

Dak is another one, if he demands $30mm+ it will force Dallas to dump real good players and cause them to be top heavy again and not much at the base. This is what kills teams the most. It is why the Pat's have been so dominant for so long. Tom Brady is not only the best QB by far, he is one of the most UNSELFISH players ever. Imagine if he had Dak and Zekes me first, pay me attitude? His team would be a shell of what it is. Because Bob Kraft would have happily paid Tom the largest salary to keep him.

In decline ? LOL :laugh:

..the dude has led the NFL in rushing 2 out of the last 3 years, (and very likely would have been 3 str8 if not for BS Goodell) ..and he's in decline ?
Makes no sense at all.