Twitter: The Cardinals Just Made Kyler Murray The Second Highest Paid QB Per Year

phildadon86

Reaction score
But the problem is you are still stuck financially. You gave the player (Dak) all the power ... and you didn't have to. Don't give a player no trade clauses. Do everything you can to minimize the "I can't get rid of him even though I need to".
Doesnt matter. Draft a QB.

And yeah. No trade clauses are ridiculous. Especially in football.

pansophy

Reaction score
Another teams mistakes should not make you feel better about the Cowboys mistakes.

You only pay top dollar for top talent, not because "it's their turn to get paid".
Derek Carr was the highest paid player in the league when he signed his contract. A year or two later he wasn't -- QB contracts just work that way. That's why Dak didn't want a 5-year deal because his deal wouldn't be very good by then.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But the problem is you are still stuck financially. You gave the player (Dak) all the power ... and you didn't have to. Don't give a player no trade clauses. Do everything you can to minimize the "I can't get rid of him even though I need to".

Just because you take a QB doesn't mean you have to play the QB immediately. Look at Rodgers. Do you think he'd be as good as he is if he hadn't had a chance to sit for a couple of years watching Brett Favre? And Dak would only have 2 years left after this season. So, you wouldn't be hamstringing yourself too much.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
On that list. I see 3 maybe 4 potential starters and 2 that have a legit shot at being a franchise QB.
I dont know why teams don't use this philosophy. Implement a defensive first run the ball first system. Stack the Oline and DLine. And draft athletic guys like a Jalen Hurts, Fields, Tua, Tyrod Taylor every 3-4 years and dont drop a ton of money into the position. Running backs are a dime a dozen so keep a handful and use them as chip blockers and dump off WR's. Draft Tight Ends that can block and catch 5-10 yard passes. These QB's are killing the team around them bc they eat so much of the cap. Guys come out of college with the ability to RPO, so roll with it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

This might be the worst contract in the NFL now.

I highly doubt anybody at all believes Murray is worth what he is now being paid.

The Dak contract looks better every day. As predicted. Watson might not even play this year. Murray?????? It’s insane. Wasn’t the guy supposed to be shopped around because of his attitude? Then this. What has Murray done in his career to be paid like this?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I dont know why teams don't use this philosophy. Implement a defensive first run the ball first system. Stack the Oline and DLine. And draft athletic guys like a Jalen Hurts, Fields, Tua, Tyrod Taylor every 3-4 years and dont drop a ton of money into the position. Running backs are a dime a dozen so keep a handful and use them as chip blockers and dump off WR's. Draft Tight Ends that can block and catch 5-10 yard passes. These QB's are killing the team around them bc they eat so much of the cap. Guys come out of college with the ability to RPO, so roll with it.
Because eventually DCs would catch up. Remember Chip Kelly? Took the league by storm.

Where is he now?

Eventually something is going to happen to control the QBs salaries. Its only a matter of time.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And here's another thing, let's say you take a QB in round 1 or 2, and you find you're not so sure about that player? You can trade said QB for a lot of picks. There are always QB hungry teams.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Because eventually DCs would catch up. Remember Chip Kelly? Took the league by storm.
Where is he now?
Eventually something is going to happen to control the QBs salaries. Its only a matter of time.
I hear you, but that may be more of an indictment on Kelly than the approach. Should have stuck with coaching and not GM/coach.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Just because you take a QB doesn't mean you have to play the QB immediately. Look at Rodgers. Do you think he'd be as good as he is if he hadn't had a chance to sit for a couple of years watching Brett Favre? And Dak would only have 2 years left after this season. So, you wouldn't be hamstringing yourself too much.

Agreed, it can work like that but in this age if the guy looks legit you need to get him on the field sooner rather than later (especially if he is a fairly high pick). Also, you have to spend a pick & a roster spot for two years under your scenario which means you aren't improving in other areas.

All in all, it comes back to don't sign a QB you aren't completely sold on to a contract that you can't get out of.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed, it can work like that but in this age if the guy looks legit you need to get him on the field sooner rather than later (especially if he is a fairly high pick). Also, you have to spend a pick & a roster spot for two years under your scenario which means you aren't improving in other areas.

All in all, it comes back to don't sign a QB you aren't completely sold on to a contract that you can't get out of.

I like Dak. Don't get me wrong, and I think he was a good signing. I just think that should have been done sooner. That said, the other problem is, as I listed out, we either didn't have room to draft a QB or the class was poor the last 3 drafts. As such, that's why Dak's contract makes sense to me as it was out of necessity. Yes, if you find an "it" player, you will want him on the field sooner. However, having him wait 2 years isn't bad, and having him take his time to learn how to read an NFL defence can be much more beneficial. He'd have 2 preseasons to learn that while learning from Dak. This can be immensely helpful because, by the time he's ready to step onto the field, defences don't know what to expect from him, but he knows defences and their patterns. That's a massive advantage.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

I think some teams are trying to do that. Management priority is the variable. Are they trying to win championships or maximize profit? Some teams do it more because it gets the fan base excited for a few years until they realize all his athleticism isn't going to win unless he can become a very good QB (not athlete listed as a QB).

I agree with your overall philosophy though. If you don't have a top tier QB your chances of getting deep in playoffs is very slim. Build the best team you can and keep taking shots without anchoring yourself to the position UNTIL you find one that is worthy of the commitment.

That is why I would have played hardball with Dak on his contract. Either we reach a deal that I'm comfortable with for a QB that isn't top tier or I let him walk & take my chances. I know people "say" you can't let a top 10 - 12 QB walk but I don't believe that. I can get similar results and increase my odds of finding a better QB by taking more shots.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I would be looking to groom someone behind Dak regardless of what happens this season. If they get bounced in the playoffs first round again I would be looking to draft a QB in round 1.

If they go further like say a NFCCG for example. I would still be looking to grab a QB. Just maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.

Regardless. Draft a QB.
Exactly. Why wait until the end of term, and being placed in a situation that you must extend due to lack of resources available.
You dont have to try and replace Dak, but why not spend a 2nd or 3rd and at least upgrade over what we have with Rush and Grier, possibly even groom a potential replacement when Daks contract expires.
If Dak has shown improvement, then all you have invested is a draft pick and rookie contract, not like we have any return on 2nd round picks recently, Williams could change that, but point being that a few of those wasted
2nd rounders could have already established some more upside at QB2 for this team.
Love or hate Dak, bottom line is that he is and will be the starting QB for this franchise unless he forces a trade and agrees to waive the no trade clause, but can't see that ever happening.
Should be nothing wrong with seeking to improve all positions, and QB should be no exception.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Doesnt matter. Draft a QB.

And yeah. No trade clauses are ridiculous. Especially in football.
I never had an issue with what he got payed, it was the "no trade no tag" clause that was brutal and most disturbing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly. Why wait until the end of term, and being placed in a situation that you must extend due to lack of resources available.
You dont have to try and replace Dak, but why not spend a 2nd or 3rd and at least upgrade over what we have with Rush and Grier, possibly even groom a potential replacement when Daks contract expires.
If Dak has shown improvement, then all you have invested is a draft pick and rookie contract, not like we have any return on 2nd round picks recently, Williams could change that, but point being that a few of those wasted
2nd rounders could have already established some more upside at QB2 for this team.
Love or hate Dak, bottom line is that he is and will be the starting QB for this franchise unless he forces a trade and agrees to waive the no trade clause, but can't see that ever happening.
Should be nothing wrong with seeking to improve all positions, and QB should be no exception.

Not only that, but, if that QB is putting up decent tape, then maybe you can land yourself a an extra first by trading that QB, and, as such, upgrading at QB. There are always QB hungry teams, and that's an easy way to get more 1sts.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Let's see if Dak can make it through a season without an injury affecting the team's fortunes for the first time in the last four seasons before we start determining the value of his contract.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
According to who?
Nfl people said he is.
Jerry Charlotte and Stephen Jones, Howie Roseman, Matt Millen, Urban Meyer, Jason Garrett, Dan Snyder, Skip Bayless, Rich Eisen, Scott Hanson, Adam Rank.
These are/were NFL people.
I am sure their opinions on players are solid gold.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Let's see if Dak can make it through a season without an injury affecting the team's fortunes for the first time in the last four seasons before we start determining the value of his contract.

Dak was healthy the season before he snapped his ankle and we didn't do squat. You know, the year Dak lost to the Mono King.