The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

erod

Reaction score
Because of what your saying about them not letting him play now, being a locker room and team distraction and no other bidders (because of the chasing JG down and saying come get me no other team will really offer). I would say The Cowboys are in a good spot also. Stick with offering the 3rd round pick. (Which for some reason I am not a fan of.) The seahags will have to do something soon.

Week 4, the first-place Texans lose a free safety for the year. What will they pay Seattle for Thomas?

A lot more than a 3rd, I promise you.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
I don't understand how two mutual parties that are that unhappy with each other would allow it to drag on this long and all the while the relationship gets even worse.
Same with Mack and Oakland.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Four teams got 3rd-round comp picks this year. Why do you call it false?

Because it requires the Seahawks - a rebuilding team - to not make any significant signings themselves. Compensatory picks are conditional, not locked in.

I told you this before.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And I think that's paying him accordingly. Certainly more than most everyone not named Berry. And it would be doing so in what is clearly a declining market. Safeties are scrambling for work and walking the streets right now. I think $10 million a year is more than fair, escpecialky when you factor in that the team has to also give draft compensation.

Like I said, everyone needs to make some concessions for this to happen, including the player. If he expects to get every single thing he wants, he's mistaken.

Yeah I see the other safeties on the market none have the talent of Thomas. I will agree with not giving up a lot in terms of picks but have no issue with top 2 money

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Week 4, the first-place Texans lose a free safety for the year. What will they pay Seattle for Thomas?

When's the last time this has happened? How often are 2nd round picks thrown around during the season for safeties?

I promise you that your scenario will never happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand how two mutual parties that are that unhappy with each other would allow it to drag on this long and all the while the relationship gets even worse.
Same with Mack and Oakland.

I agree, except to say that a team doesn't want to see the precedent that all a player has to do is sit out of training camp and the team will cave and let him have his way. That could lead to more problems in the future.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Have you heard if the seahags have given him a offer for a extension or just want him to finish his contract? They may want to ditch him next year. And have a 10 million dollar top safety for 8.5.
If they have his younger cheaper replacement on the field, they should just let him go. They know he's not going to play for them anymore. Body might be there, but everything else is absent.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Seattle gets a 3rd round comp pick anyway. That's not enticing to them at all.

Earl Thomas is not a reckless signing. He's a pro's pro that will bring far more than just his athletic ability to the locker room.

I've already stated as such, but there's nearly a 0% chance Seahawks get a 3rd for ET3. It's much more likely to be a 5th rounder than it is a 3rd rounder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I see the other safeties on the market none have the talent of Thomas. I will agree with not giving up a lot in terms of picks but have no issue with top 2 money

Those "other safeties" also don't have draft compensation attached to them. And neither did Eric Berry when he was signed. The two factors are interlocked and connected. Inseparable. It's not simply paying the guy, it's giving up draft compensation to do it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, except to say that a team doesn't want to see the precedent that all a player has to do is sit out of training camp and the team will cave and let him have his way. That could lead to more problems in the future.

Our Cowboys have done that. More than once. Made me so mad when they did! :angry:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Those "other safeties" also don't have draft compensation attached to them. And neither did Eric Berry when he was signed. The two factors are interlocked and connected. Inseparable. It's not simply paying the guy, it's giving up draft compensation to do it.

I understand that so you low ball the player? Sorry I don't agree with you there.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Are they willing to pay him the 10 million? And the extension he wants. It’s not just the money. It’s the long term.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
The Boys should give up the 2, but make Seattle eat some of Thomas' salary for putting everybody through this so long (or make something conditional that Seattle must meet to bring the deal about more fairly). I would restructure the contract and give Thomas 3 yrs & more bonus money upfront or something to that effect, and then make his actual contract more reasonable. That would be my final offer.

erod

Reaction score
I've already stated as such, but there's nearly a 0% chance Seahawks get a 3rd for ET3. It's much more likely to be a 5th rounder than it is a 3rd rounder.

Denver got a 3rd for losing Russell Okung.

Arizona got a 3rd for losing Calais Campbell

Cincinnati got a 3rd for losing Kevin Zeitler

Houston got a 3rd for losing A.J. Bouye

erod

Reaction score
Are they willing to pay him the 10 million? And the extension he wants. It’s not just the money. It’s the long term.

That's part of the deal. Dallas and ET should have permission to negotiate for 48 hours to come up with a deal.

How about Earl Thomas and a 4th for Dallas' 2nd and 5th picks?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand that so you low ball the player? Sorry I don't agree with you there.

$10 million a year is "lowballing the player?
:huh:

Then I'll ask you, should the Cowboys give significant trade compensation and then have to turn around and give Thomas $13 million a year?

What smart team does that? Using considerable draft resources to then turn around and have to pay a player top dollar?

Where is Earl Thomas' compromise in all of this? Does he simply get everything he wants while "the team's figure it out"?

If that's his actual position, it's no wonder nothing is getting done, it shouldn't . And if that's truly the case, he can rot in Seattle.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Neither side, at this point, wants to conduct business with the other. Stalemate or cut the deal. If nothing happens, everybody loses.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Denver got a 3rd for losing Russell Okung.

Arizona got a 3rd for losing Calais Campbell

Cincinnati got a 3rd for losing Kevin Zeitler

Houston got a 3rd for losing A.J. Bouye

This doesnt help your case.

Which of those players is a safety?

I can name off players such as cousins, Solder, and Keenum who will get 3rd round comp picks next year. What does that prove?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I may be wrong, but I thought with an unrestricted free agent the draft compensation didn't come from the new team, but was rather just an added pick granted by the NFL.