The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Sydla

Reaction score
Jeff Heath is far underappreciated here. He has all the measuarables. You guys are going to wake up one day and say man he's awesome. Lol

LOL.

If you were betting your life on which safety would be better the next three years, who would you pick? Heath or Thomas?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
There is a difference in being terrified and being smart. You have to know the difference.

You don't REALLY care about the cap, because you want ET to be a Cowboy so badly. Then if we pay him Dez money and he becomes a dumpster fire who is washed up you will be one of the first ones to wring your hands and ask why can't we have nice things!
Well, you don’t know me too well, but give you A for effort. Nice try.

The reason why you want to be smart with your money is so you can afford to take a chance on adding an Earl Thomas type of player, not so you can let him pass by while claiming you’re being smart. There are no guarantees and I don’t mind the team taking a chance. They just have to learn when to cut bait on a failure. For example, when it is evident Brandon Carr isn’t worth his $10 million a year, let him go when it saves moeny instead of keeping him 2 more years.

If we don’t ever want to take that chance, there really isn’t any reason to be smart with the cap. Won’t matter if we are in cap hell, if we dont want to spend the money it doesn’t matter if we have it or not.

But, we can let Earl pass, we can have more cap space for next year and make the same arguments about other players we could sign but really don’t want to,m because I am sure they will be too old, want too much money, have had an injury, or some other reason the Cowboys should stand pat with their talent and not try to upgrade except through the draft, which is also not guaranteed to improve the team.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Well, you don’t know me too well, but give you A for effort. Nice try.

The reason why you want to be smart with your money is so you can afford to take a chance on adding an Earl Thomas type of player, not so you can let him pass by while claiming you’re being smart. There are no guarantees and I don’t mind the team taking a chance. They just have to learn when to cut bait on a failure. For example, when it is evident Brandon Carr isn’t worth his $10 million a year, let him go when it saves moeny instead of keeping him 2 more years.

If we don’t ever want to take that chance, there really isn’t any reason to be smart with the cap. Won’t matter if we are in cap hell, if we dont want to spend the money it doesn’t matter if we have it or not.

But, we can let Earl pass, we can have more cap space for next year and make the same arguments about other players we could sign but really don’t want to,m because I am sure they will be too old, want too much money, have had an injury, or some other reason the Cowboys should stand pat with their talent and not try to upgrade except through the draft, which is also not guaranteed to improve the team.

This is a great argument.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Is there a team called Earl Thomas in which he is playing against 22 people all by himself? I gotta see that!
You're right, we can afford to go down the same road year after year even though it's not worked since I was a mid 20's lad. We don't need elite
talent on this team, we're good.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know the silly part of this argument? Why in the hell do we care what they pay him? If you want to improve the team and take your shot, you worry about the money later.

The real question is how many players are the Cowboys away from being a true contender? What are the top perceived weaknesses on the team? If he fills a weakness, do it. If not and there are more to address, don't do it. The only reason they should pull the trigger on this is if he helps the win column to get into the playoffs.

What I don't know is which position is a greater need? DT or S? If that middle is soft and the Safety's have to play too much run, they risk losing them to injury and the opposition is getting TOP and sustained drives. If they can stop the run and put them in passing situations, then Thomas becomes far more important as a center fielder and playing in coverage is his strength, not playing the run.

But lets also consider that in that playing in that deep backfield is a SS ranked 34th behind Thomas' 30. If they acquire Thomas, do they just address half the issue?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Maybe. I think he wants to get paid. He could "come home" in about 5 months. That's not very long a very long time. Lol.

Did you read what he wrote on the players Tribune? You'd understand why 5 months is too long for him if you did.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The case against an Earl Thomas trade

A big plus of getting Thomas this year would have been his help installing Richard's changes. Every day that passes makes that less valuable to us, making Thomas less valuable to us.

If we wait til next year, we save a premium draft pick, and likely pay a good deal less.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Ya know the silly part of this argument? Why in the hell do we care what they pay him? If you want to improve the team and take your shot, you worry about the money later.

The real question is how many players are the Cowboys away from being a true contender? What are the top perceived weaknesses on the team? If he fills a weakness, do it. If not and there are more to address, don't do it. The only reason they should pull the trigger on this is if he helps the win column to get into the playoffs.

What I don't know is which position is a greater need? DT or S? If that middle is soft and the Safety's have to play too much run, they risk losing them to injury and the opposition is getting TOP and sustained drives. If they can stop the run and put them in passing situations, then Thomas becomes far more important as a center fielder and playing in coverage is his strength, not playing the run.

But lets also consider that in that playing in that deep backfield is a SS ranked 34th behind Thomas' 30. If they acquire Thomas, do they just address half the issue?

There has been a bunch of teams that have gone into a season thinking they are contenders and injuries kill them. A bunch of teams go into the season thinking they are average and the breaks just go their way. So how do you say whether you are one player away?

I think the general consensus is the Cowboys are a borderline playoff team, so I would think it would be reasonable to think ET would make this a playoff team.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

With each day that passes, I’m glad a deal hasn’t been made for Earl Thomas.
If a deal makes him happy AND the team happy I am all for it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The only reason I've softened my stance on wanting to acquire him is the the fact the market for safeties has nosedived.

You can get a quality starting safety on the open market for $2M. THATS STUPID AND I CANT BELIEVE WE HAVENT JUMPED ALL OVER IT
Boston and Vacarro cost $1.5M with incentives up to $3M.

Is earl really worth 8x more in ssalary AND a 3rd round pick. I dont think so.
Vaccaro is a SS and an average one....... same with Reid

Boston is a gambling FS but not much of an improvement over Heath

EThomas is the Truth and is the answer at FS

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Capped league. Getting value for cap dollars is everything.
The cap is less and less relevant

We are 15m under the cap right now and 50m next year with DLaw as the only unsigned FA

If not now then we will will never spend

Cap space is spent on vets by definition.... the rookies are locked into cheap deals via the one sided CBA

davidariust24

Reaction score

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

With each day that passes, I’m glad a deal hasn’t been made for Earl Thomas.
At this point as a fan I good with whatever happens. I'd love a trade for ET because he would be the captain if our young secondary. They need someone like him. Guys like Anthony brown need someone like him to show him the ropes and teach him different but little things that will help him and most of all ET would have his back on the back end. He'd be the Sean Lee for the secondary but I only want him for a good price

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The only reason I've softened my stance on wanting to acquire him is the the fact the market for safeties has nosedived.

You can get a quality starting safety on the open market for $2M. THATS STUPID AND I CANT BELIEVE WE HAVENT JUMPED ALL OVER IT
Boston and Vacarro cost $1.5M with incentives up to $3M.

Is earl really worth 8x more in ssalary AND a 3rd round pick. I dont think so.
I wanted Boston for sure. He gets picks and that would help tremendously

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Vaccaro is a SS and an average one....... same with Reid

Boston is a gambling FS but not much of an improvement over Heath

EThomas is the Truth and is the answer at FS

Getting an average player starter at any position other than FB or ST for $2M is a freaking steal. That's the point.

Earl Thomas is much better than them, he's not that much better that he commands that much more salary AND a valuable pick.

Again if I'm choosing between Vacarro/Boston+La'el Collins+Gallup or just Earl Thomas. I'm taking option 1

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Do we want another Sean Lee on the field? Yes, please.

Is ET another Sean Lee? I don't know about that. I don't think so, but he might bring something to the party. But he is expensive.

You can't pay to bring in Sean Lee and end up with a passionate "Dez Bryant" instead.

I suggest this guy is doing everything but take out billboards stating he wants to be a Cowboy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Getting an average player starter at any position other than FB or ST for $2M is a freaking steal. That's the point.

Earl Thomas is much better than them, he's not that much better that he commands that much more salary AND a valuable pick.

Again if I'm choosing between Vacarro/Boston+La'el Collins+Gallup or just Earl Thomas. I'm taking option 1
that is 100% wrong...... you get average players in the draft for even less

he gets 2m because 40 guys can do what he does
ET get 10m+ because 4 guys can do what he does

It is about scarcity not production

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
that is 100% wrong...... you get average players in the draft for even less

he gets 2m because 40 guys can do what he does
ET get 10m+ because 4 guys can do what he does

It is about scarcity not production

You dont get average starters out of the draft automatically LMAO. That is 1000% incorrect. You hope and pray anyone drafted after the 2nd develops into an average starter.

Getting a top 40 player at $2M is a freaking steal. If you dont understand that, that's on you.

But so that youll figure it out, again. Which would you take:
A. Boston/Vacaroo, La'el, and Gallup
B. Earl

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Since the C-boys are currently involved in a youth movement, I can easily see how ET (plus his $ demands) would be prohibitive.