The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In the end our biggest hurdle is always going to be overcoming our ownerships meddling from within and from his pulpit. Something no other franchise or team has to contend with to this extreme.

And why despite what looks like an improved culture , etc the same hurdle is still in place. And it raises its head at the most in opportune times.

conner01

Reaction score
Love ya coach
But no
Losing won’t serve and greater good
We got humiliated by Denver
Once a year is all that kind of humiliation I can take

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t see how being humiliated a couple of weeks ago, then bouncing back with a great performance on Sunday only to lose again to KC is going to serve a better purpose than winning. That makes absolutely no sense. KC has been to back to back Super Bowls they’re the type of team we need to beat. Beating a team like that builds confidence.
Yea, hopefully the Denver loss was enough to steer us back. Another loss to a SB participant will let us know we might not be as close as we thought.

This is a win we need for confidence moving forward even if we stump our toe again which I expect a couple more losses. I’d take 12-5 right now.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Now if arrogance brews that's on MM and the leaders on the team to squash.
true, but I dont think anyone will squash it, and what CC is implying is Jerry will encourage it , not stop it.
The only one who might is Mike, but I think he wants to be their pal more than their coach.
In fact I was watching him in this last atl game, and I think he too is prone to be overconfident and believe they are the best already.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yea, hopefully the Denver loss was enough to steer us back. Another loss to a SB participant will let us know we might not be as close as we thought.

This is a win we need for confidence moving forward even if we stump our toe again which I expect a couple more losses. I’d take 12-5 right now.

I would think being humiliated by a mediocre Denver team that got their butts handed to them Sunday by a Philly team we pounded a few weeks ago should keep us focused the rest of the way. We’re still going to lose some games but I don’t see us losing them because we didn’t show up to play. All our road games this season have gone down to the wire. It’s going to take a great performance on Sunday for us to win because it appears KC is back on track. No doubt the Cowboys will be ready for them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?
LOL , first CC you made too long of a post ! That is a no no here .
Most wont read more than a few lines.
Those that do, it is over there heads.

It is a win now, win every game mantra here. You got way too deep.

That said, Mike is the guy who needs to keep them from getting overconfident, and the denver game says he is isnt into that.
So Best thing is for them to just learn the hard way, about being too cocky.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look who’s in here throwing out the first personal insults… and to a Mod no less. Another member who’s paying to troll Cowboy fans.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
The likelihood of that coming into play vs what I think might benefit this team doesn't match up to me. I am not rejecting it as that is a legit concern for Michigan fan but not me.

I am more concerned about the Cowboys being playoff ready and advancing beyond the division round because it's been 26 years since they did that and they are 0-10 in that time.

I think they can handle this loss but are going to need to hitting on all 8 when they play at NO, take on AZ and face 4 division games and 3 of them on the road.
The single most important thing is making sure GB of all teams does NOT get that #1 seed in the NFC. Any other team besides GB can lose at home in the playoffs as they are warm weather. But nobody will beat GB in Lambeau.... last year it took miracle game by Beowulf Brady and they still almost lost. It's 11 on 18 up there every playoff game.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Think a tie-breaker is going to get down that far? How often does that happen?
It's very plausible this year if both teams finish with the same record and NFC record, and since the Packers and Cowboys are both division winners and don't play head to head in the regular season, common opponents would be the very next tiebreaker. It's actually quite likely. Unless there's a 3 way tiebreaker like the one we got hosed on in 2014.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Be most beneficial to not start threads like this. What is the purpose?

How is ever wanting your team to lose a good thing? I just can't have that thought process.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Well on a good note, Mike McCarthy won the super bowl with a 10-6 record so there's that. Having said that, I don't care who the opponent is, I want to win always, anytime, any place but thanks for the sentiment.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

How is ever wanting your team to lose a good thing? I just can't have that thought process.
Well, that’s what these forums are for. Presenting your take or perspective. Doesn’t mean we have to agree or like .

Fortunately there’s several topics and forums to participate in so we don’t waste our time in ones which don’t interest us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m still stuck on no HC has ever won a SB with another team.

So, even if we get there the odds are stacked against us winning one with this HC.

My hope rest in that he will bring us back to the brink and the next HC will take us over the hump.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Winning this game is all about stopping the run and protecting Dak, although, Dak can move and get the ball out quick, so it comes down to, "Can we stop the run"? And the weather should be nice and cold, good football weather but no bad windy or rainy/snowy conditions. This should be a win.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very plausible this year if both teams finish with the same record and NFC record, and since the Packers and Cowboys are both division winners and don't play head to head in the regular season, common opponents would be the very next tiebreaker. It's actually quite likely. Unless there's a 3 way tiebreaker like the one we got hosed on in 2014.
Anything is possible but there are quite a few games yet to be played.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, I have wanted your team to lose and lookie there! Even my Hogs got in on the fun.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
In the end our biggest hurdle is always going to be overcoming our ownerships meddling from within and from his pulpit. Something no other franchise or team has to contend with to this extreme.

And why despite what looks like an improved culture , etc the same hurdle is still in place. And it raises its head at the most in opportune times.
Right now we look great... so "Meddling," is not a problem. But if we lose... oh boy, all of the sudden it is because Jerry was "Meddling." give it a rest already

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is no case to lose this week, none! They already got the wake-up call against Denver. This is the kind of game teams win who have aspirations to go to the Super Bowl.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’m still stuck on no HC has ever won a SB with another team.

So, even if we get there the odds are stacked against us winning one with this HC.

My hope rest in that he will bring us back to the brink and the next HC will take us over the hump.
the fact no head coach has won with 2 different teams makes us no more or less likely to win with big Mike. NONE