The disappearing act of Osa I can't spell his last name

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Besides last year's outlier Daron payne averages less than 3 sacks per year. 2 per year from mazi with great play vs the run is a win to people that know football
Payne is listed at 308 pounds. Mazi at 337 lbs. Not the same build, so to your point, if a player that had 3 sacks vs 0.5 sacks isn't a high-number sack guy in the NFL, again, why would anybody expect Mazi to be a good sack guy?

And yes, 2.0 sacks would be nice from Mazi, but I'd trade those sacks for "great play vs. the run", whic he hasn't had so far. But he's a rookie, I'll give him time to develop.

As far as " 2 per year from mazi with great play vs the run is a win to people that know football", if you're implying I don't know football, you're all wet...

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
What I have noticed from OSA is that he lines up sometimes into or really really close to the neutral zone quite often. We have been dinged with that penalty multiple times this season so this game I wanted to see which player was doing it. Did not notice who actually got the penalties earlier in year but my guess is OSA. He lined up really close/ over the blue line multiple times this last game. Luckily nothing was called on him but it could have been

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Payne is listed at 308 pounds. Mazi at 337 lbs. Not the same build, so to your point, if a player that had 3 sacks vs 0.5 sacks isn't a high-number sack guy in the NFL, again, why would anybody expect Mazi to be a good sack guy?

And yes, 2.0 sacks would be nice from Mazi, but I'd trade those sacks for "great play vs. the run", whic he hasn't had so far. But he's a rookie, I'll give him time to develop.

As far as " 2 per year from mazi with great play vs the run is a win to people that know football", if you're implying I don't know football, you're all wet...
I don't care about listed weight. They were 10 lbs apart at the combine.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yall talking real crazy about a dude who has a 81 pff grade. I know I know pff sucks and CZ eye test is better. Of course
Isn't it crazy how people don't understand that the best strategy is to take all evaluations and consider everything to try and get a true pic?

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah mazi Smith isn't getting in the backfield let alone providing pressure...
I've seen plays from others posting it in podcasts where he is penetrating in the backfield, ..something he wasn't doing at start of the year.

Just needs to stay consistent and put it game to game, not far and few plays apart, games apart, imo.

He won't be Osa upfield, as he's still a 1 tech. but he's more athletic than the average 1 tech.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not really. Gallimore was supposed to get more reps at 3T but he stinks.
Although they dance around it in his scouting report, I think it's due to lack of lateral agility, a trait that is usually a make or break item, and one that Jerry appears to simply ignore.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not really. Gallimore was supposed to get more reps at 3T but he stinks.
Gallimore is listed at 302 lbs, Smith at 338. If Smith isn't drafted to be the run stuffer, what's he drafted for? And at the Cowboys' first pick, no less...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy how people don't understand that the best strategy is to take all evaluations and consider everything to try and get a true pic?
I don't get the whole he's been dissapearing. There hasn't been a video provided yet after all these replies. Everybody had videos of mazi. Where is osa getting manhandled?

J-man

Reaction score
Odiggy is a very good DT, don't take his lack of numbers as lack of quality play.

quickccc

Reaction score
Nice, the squad wants to judge Odighizuwa by sack count and pretend he is not playing well. Gotta dig deep when the team is winning.
Sacks and pass pressure rates from 3techs gain him All Pro and Pro bowl anointments
that shows up as an advantage factor in his next new upcoming contract.

A full time top notch starting interior pressure stud does wonder for a defense.
I do think Osa is a solid and above average player .. but is he a difference maker ?
Or is he the type that has that occasional shine games in spots ? Rotational types do that.
Studs tend to show up for the whole season.

Important to mention that it is extremely hard to get those kind of DTs - so very hard to come by.
if you get lucky, you lock him up long term with da very quickness !

Bottom line, is he the kind of player that forces mismatches on a game to game basis ?
does he command double team blocking ?

Will Osa be that Jay Ratliff version we've sorely been looking for on a every season basis ?
Wearing down at the stretch of key games is not what this needs, - what is gonna happen when
we really need that interior force come playoff time vs Niners and Philly ?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hope Dig'em Smacks starts dominating. I love hearing that name: Odighizuwa!

Reactions: G2

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Gallimore is listed at 302 lbs, Smith at 338. If Smith isn't drafted to be the run stuffer, what's he drafted for? And at the Cowboys' first pick, no less...
They were drafted to play different positions. You know this right?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Have you noticed? He's done this before.

Osa started off this season like a boss. 3 sacks and 4 tackles for loss in the first 3 games.

In the 7 games since? Sackless with just a couple of TFLs. He wasn't even on the stat sheet this week.

Your starting 3 tech and he hasn't gotten to the QB in nearly two months. Playing with a big lead in many of those games and teeing off on QBs trying to mount a comeback.

Where are you, Osa Whosyourmomma? Or are you just a rotational player?
He's busy picking grass from his teeth from being run over. Teams seem to be able to go right up the middle of this defense. I mean Miles sanders even scored running up the middle.