The Elite QB Farce

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Yes it is for all QBs including our former one who is placed on other teams for hypothetical SB titles. :laugh:

Who?

I thought we were talking about Dak and current quarterbacks who may or may not do a better job here? Why are you focusing on Romo?

I think it's pretty telling that four years after his last meaningful snap in Dallas, people are still trashing Tony Romo to try and prop up Dak Prescott. what that tells me is Dak hasn't done nearly enough on his own to create his own legacy. Pretty sad considering he's asking to be the highest paid quarterback of all time

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I just changed it to ALL QBs to include Romo. The concept still applies, right?

You could have just said all QB's. unless romo's considering coming out of retirement and I haven't heard that's happening oh, he doesn't apply to this discussion. My thought is centered on the present and what the Cowboys can do to get better now.

If bashing Romo and/or his adherents years after his retirement can help us win now, I'm on board.

Otherwise it's a typical non-starter of an argument

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You could have just said all QB's. unless romo's considering coming out of retirement and I haven't heard that's happening oh, he doesn't apply to this discussion. My thought is centered on the present and what the Cowboys can do to get better now.

If bashing Romo and/or his adherents years after his retirement can help us win now, I'm on board.

Otherwise it's a typical non-starter of an argument
I could have but does Romo get special treatment? Why did you feel the need to single out Dak supporters?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I could have but does Romo get special treatment?

I'm not even sure what you're asking with this question but either way it doesn't change the point that Romo has nothing to do with the discussion of current quarterbacks that can help the Cowboys win now

and your example where people have a fantasy role-play and switch quarterbacks expecting to get different results, how many times have we seen the Prescott supporters do the same thing with coaches

"So if we only had Sean Payton or if we only had the guy from San Francisco or so-and-so coach"

We've seen these discussions on here hundreds of times as a defense for Dak and his lack of development over the last 4 years

That was my point with the original post that got you all fired up about Romo

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you're asking with this question but either way it doesn't change the point that Romo has nothing to do with the discussion of current quarterbacks that can help the Cowboys win now
I made a statement that already applied to all QBs. You had to chime in to single out how it especially applied to Dak supporters. Why? Because you hate Dak and the support he gets. I made sure you knew it applied to your hero as well. What’s good for the goose...:laugh:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I made a statement that already applied to all QBs. You had to chime in to single out how it especially applied to Dak supporters. Why? Because you hate Dak and the support he gets. I made sure you knew it applied to your hero as well. What’s good for the goose...:laugh:

Your statement was clearly directed at Dak critics. Had zero to do with "all quarterbacks" and we both know that

But see my explanation above clarifying my post

Should be clearer now. If anything this should have turned into a discussion about Garrett not Romo

But Garrett is gone also. So really no sense talking about him either

I'm interested in the cowboys winning now

Your interested in tearing down guys who haven't been here in years. Very telling, frankly. As I said this is a clear indicator that you don't have much of a Dak defense. And I don't blame you. There isn't much *to* defend

I gotta get into a 9:30 meeting bro. Have a great day! :thumbup:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Your statement was clearly directed at Dak critics. Had zero to do with "all quarterbacks" and we both know that

But see my explanation above clarifying my post

Should be clearer now. If anything this should have turned into a discussion about Garrett not Romo

But Garrett is gone also. So really no sense talking about him either

I'm interested in the cowboys winning now

Your interested in tearing down guys who haven't been here in years. Very telling, frankly. As I said this is a clear indicator that you don't have much of a Dak defense. And I don't blame you. There isn't much *to* defend

I gotta get into a 9:30 meeting bro. Have a great day! :thumbup:
I don’t defend Dak. I just enjoy hating on Romo. I don’t like his fans after his retirement. You have a good day too!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Is Dak elite? In my view, and I'm not going to drag in others' opinions, just to keep things simple, no. Gaudy stats aside, he hasn't demonstrated that - too many missed throws at critical points, doesn't have a great pocket presence etc. Not going into a full blown quarterback analysis, either, that's a subject in itself.

But paying him what today amounts to elite quarterback play, on a long term deal, is a viable strategy. Like kskboys pointed out, teams spent high draft picks on Leaf, Russell, Young and all of those guys were total busts, and it wasn't always due to their physical play, guys like Young had other issues, ones that you couldn't have foreseen probably but still they didn't work out.

With Dak you know by now what you have. ANY draft pick is an unknown quantity. The decision the Cowboys have to make is whether to go with the bird in the hand or the quarterback in the bush. In order for them to get the quarterback in the bush would at this point mean a huge investment in draft picks and possibly other players. I find it interesting that some here claim our players are all "quitters" or "trash", yet want other teams to trade with Dallas and give us high draft picks for them. NO team is giving a top-5 draft pick for a quitter or trash player, and trading a Martin or such means you're just swapping one great player for a POSSIBLY other great player, and that's not really improving your team. You'd be placing your faith in the new passer being "elite" while not giving him the supporting cast you need.

The problem would be sort of like teams like the Seahawks, assuming Wilson is "elite", sure they got to the playoffs but Wilson, despite being "elite", didn't get any farther in the playoffs than Dak did just a year ago. And Wilson only got to the SB, and only won one, when he had the number 1 raked defense.

I think Jerry, et al, is going with the strategy of having a pretty good quarterback and supporting him with a great line, running game and very good defense. Is that going to work? Who knows? So sure paying Dak $35 or even $40 million a year is risky but first of all that's long term, with the increase in the cap Dallas has plenty of cap space to sign him and still sign Cooper, etc. $40 mil now won't be the highest paid in a couple of years, again it's a risk but there's no way anyone can say that won't result in a title or two or three.

Not saying either approach is correct, just noting that predicting whether it will or won't work isn't possible. To those who want to go for the Tua or Lawrence or such, I understand your reasoning, and that's fine. But the either plan is defensible, and whichever you subscribe to, nobody should ridicule you or insist that you're wrong...

starfan1

Reaction score
I don’t agree. I believe they are better passers. And in this offense and supporting cast would have taken us further. That’s what I believe.

I don’t have to accept what we have. And I will continue campaigning for it as I see fit. Thanks

Campaigning? To who us fellow message board folks? Dang my bad! all this time I have mistook what you and a few others have been doing thread after thread about Dak as a total whine-fest. How silly of me now that I know you were campaigning I can look at this completely different. Cause we here on this board have so much control.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Why? You're not that important.
I think I am or else you wouldn't talk that cash expletive you did about folks lives being miserable over Dak. Truth is you're not living like that and don't want to show it. Its ok just wanted to stop your trash posting with no proof.

Last edited:

Philmonroe

Reaction score
all I ever ask is that posters who want to get rid of Dak propose a viable alternative.

“Burn it down” is not a realistic strategy
“Draft a Pat Mahomes” is not a realistic strategy

“Franchise Dak, draft a QB, and see what happens” is a realistic strategy

“Sign Dak to a long term deal” is a realistic strategy.

If someone wants to argue against Dak, at least give us some type of plan or strategy to replace him.

Even if it’s simply “let Dak walk and draft the best QB available at #17”, it would be better than the pie in the sky calls for the Cowboys to do a magic trick and miraculously have the next Aaron Rodgers show up at camp this summer
This guy is a stone cold liar. Must be the pro Dak taking over his brain. I said the last part about let Dak walk and draft a QB at 17 and this person started talking about draft bust. You can search and find the discussion if you think I'm lying. This guy is just a Dak Stan that will dismiss any viable alternative because who the hell says draft the next Pat Mahommes when we all know the draft is a crap shoot? Tired of people straight up lying esp when this stuff is posted for all to see.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Is Dak elite? In my view, and I'm not going to drag in others' opinions, just to keep things simple, no. Gaudy stats aside, he hasn't demonstrated that - too many missed throws at critical points, doesn't have a great pocket presence etc. Not going into a full blown quarterback analysis, either, that's a subject in itself.

But paying him what today amounts to elite quarterback play, on a long term deal, is a viable strategy. Like kskboys pointed out, teams spent high draft picks on Leaf, Russell, Young and all of those guys were total busts, and it wasn't always due to their physical play, guys like Young had other issues, ones that you couldn't have foreseen probably but still they didn't work out.

With Dak you know by now what you have. ANY draft pick is an unknown quantity. The decision the Cowboys have to make is whether to go with the bird in the hand or the quarterback in the bush. In order for them to get the quarterback in the bush would at this point mean a huge investment in draft picks and possibly other players. I find it interesting that some here claim our players are all "quitters" or "trash", yet want other teams to trade with Dallas and give us high draft picks for them. NO team is giving a top-5 draft pick for a quitter or trash player, and trading a Martin or such means you're just swapping one great player for a POSSIBLY other great player, and that's not really improving your team. You'd be placing your faith in the new passer being "elite" while not giving him the supporting cast you need.

The problem would be sort of like teams like the Seahawks, assuming Wilson is "elite", sure they got to the playoffs but Wilson, despite being "elite", didn't get any farther in the playoffs than Dak did just a year ago. And Wilson only got to the SB, and only won one, when he had the number 1 raked defense.

I think Jerry, et al, is going with the strategy of having a pretty good quarterback and supporting him with a great line, running game and very good defense. Is that going to work? Who knows? So sure paying Dak $35 or even $40 million a year is risky but first of all that's long term, with the increase in the cap Dallas has plenty of cap space to sign him and still sign Cooper, etc. $40 mil now won't be the highest paid in a couple of years, again it's a risk but there's no way anyone can say that won't result in a title or two or three.

Not saying either approach is correct, just noting that predicting whether it will or won't work isn't possible. To those who want to go for the Tua or Lawrence or such, I understand your reasoning, and that's fine. But the either plan is defensible, and whichever you subscribe to, nobody should ridicule you or insist that you're wrong...
Agree, we know what we have in Dak. Whenever Dak gets compared to "elite" guys, those elite guys have usually been in the league over 6-7 years and are veterans. People need to understand that its possible for Dak to continue to improve. You build the team around him, and help him succeed. If Romo were durable, we wouldn't have seen Dak play. Dak is as durable as it comes, so the consistency can be played out, and his progression will be important with McCarthy. The guy is 26, obviously having Mahomes would be amazing. Thing is, there is a talent gap between Mahomes and every other quarterback in the league.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Critique the QB position. Just be consistent. I just find it funny many can spot Daks warts but overlook the warts of the QBs they apparently are drooling over.
Do you have proof the person you quoted isn't consistent? People love the very lazy people do this and don't do this but have no proof the actual person your posting to has done such.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Critique the QB position. Just be consistent. I just find it funny many can spot Daks warts but overlook the warts of the QBs they apparently are drooling over.
When we had Staubach and Aikman I don’t recall drooling over anyone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Campaigning? To who us fellow message board folks? Dang my bad! all this time I have mistook what you and a few others have been doing thread after thread about Dak as a total whine-fest. How silly of me now that I know you were campaigning I can look at this completely different. Cause we here on this board have so much control.
Is this the same guy who was spouting that Troy was only 1st round QB we’ve had. ? Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Youre right after I typed it in I thought about that what I meant was jerry Jones era but that said if we are referring to be informed You are holding out hope the cowboys move up and grab a QB and give up important resources after Jerry and Steven has told you Daks our guy so whos misinformed? Ill take the L with this conversation as i should have been more careful when I typed my response to you.

Ill get the W and Dallas will get the W when hes behind center next year and Dallas addresses whats really wrong and that's the defense and propels them to more success and blows your whole elite QB argument out the water.
Whatever...

A message board is to present your opinion. Nobody cares if everyone agrees.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
lol and you been pimping this whole elite and improvement agenda. Is he going to step into the way back machine? Is Mr.Peabody and Sherman going to hook him up? You know perhaps Aikman can go with them and come out of the booth.

You anti Dak guys are comical sometimes
I’m an Anti Jerry and Anti losing in general guy.

Ive supported Dak while pointing out his weaknesses along with our other weaknesses including defensively. But I’m not going to Slobber over a QB who isn’t an Elite passer without having more success when the season is on the line.

This thread is about Elite QB’s. You want to start a thread about our defenses shortfalls. Be my guest.