The Jason Garrett you bad red headed coach thread

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The design of the play got Spiller open.. Not him being a top 10 pick.

You know what got T.Will open? Him beating his guy 1 on 1.. Not the design of the play.

That's the difference in what we do vs a real coach like Sean Payton. We just want to outman everyone.. Well... When you're hurting a bit it helps to have coaches that are actually using their brains and not just hoping a player can make a play.

3rd and 9 last night.. Weeden gets sacked.. Fans crying about Weeden in the chat..

Then they show the endzone angle of the play.

We need 9 yards.. Our receivers our running 20 yard routes downfield with their back turned and the 1 guy who ran a short route ran it for 6 yards.

That's the kind of crap im sick of.

Romo isn't here to run around for 5 seconds and fix a crap playcall.
good post , I have been complaing about play design for years, but it wont change.
They also like the wr and others catching the ball right on the sideline, So many routes go over to the sideliine.
I see plays all the time where the middle of the field is totally empty and romo is looking and they are all over by a sideline and covered.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
good post , I have been complaing about play design for years, but it wont change.
They also like the wr and others catching the ball right on the sideline, So many routes go over to the sideliine.
I see plays all the time where the middle of the field is totally empty and romo is looking and they are all over by a sideline and covered.

Sideline and come back routes. Makes it easy to cover when the receivers are coming to complete stops. They can't keep their momentum going and break free when there is good protection.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man. I've been staying out of this thread for all the obvious reasons, but I just have to say that it's so full of logical fail that I can hardly stand it.

Some of you guys go leaping off cliffs at the most bizarre conclusions based on such obvious bad guesses. I can't tell if it's even a serious opinion some of the time.

(And some of you are making some pretty good points, too, btw).

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well I can see your a garrett fan and defender, and that is fine, some like him he can do no wrong, and some dont like him and think he does do wrong.
It is just opinions, he is and will be dallas HC for good while, I know he isnt going anywhere no matter what any of us think.

I think, could be wrong but when brady was out cassell led the patriots to the playoffs.
When rodgers was out in 2013 and 2014 they had a good backup that could win some games.
The star QB is important, and a team cannot be as good without him, but they also should still be able to play decent and win a few games
without him.
I agree Dallas is without 2 star players, and now dunbar, they dont have murray but that is no big deal since many say he was just a bum anyway.

The problem is who they had as backups, and why they are so poorly coached up, and why the coaches cant be more innovative and
change some things to get the most out of who they have!
They need to be bolder, more innovative and smarter as coaches when their stars are out.
Instead dallas coaches , JG included just got less bold, less smart, and no innovation, and more conservative.
That is why fans are grumbling about the coaching.

I think it is a fair observation to say Garrett is playing Weeden very conservatively and asking him not to make mistakes. I do wonder if they will open it up some. But if they do then I can almost promise you there will be mistakes made you aren't seeing so much now. But they may be forced to do so. Depends on how the defense plays somewhat. Also, our opponent and if we can get a lead or keep it a close game.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Jason Garrett is a bad red-headed coach.

You asked for it:

garrettop-giggle.jpg

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Garrett reminds me of a good politician: clapping, shaking the hands of players as they walk off the field, saying the superficially "right" things, motivational speeches, etc.

But as an Xs and Os guy and game day manager, i.e. the supervisor, it's like daddy, either through his connections or position, simply got him the job with a handshake or a wink and a nod. He's not a good balance of someone who opportunely invokes both positivism and fear, or "technical" savvy.

ViGgHuIB.gif

He likes this too:

Best-NFL-Week-15-GIFs-Cowboys-Coach-Jason-Garrett-Gets-Excited-Slaps-Players-Butt.gif

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ok, who?

There are 32 NFL teams and there aren't 32 quality starters. If you think you're going to find a better than avg starter or even backup like you're suggesting then that's true optimism.

You rarely get the chance to find that someone. Generally you take someone you think you can do something with and try to get it up to decent speed.

Most teams are looking to hold on for dear life for a few games when they lose their starter. We lost ours for 1/2 a year.

If the defense gets better, as I think it will with a pass rush, then maybe we can win some games with Weeden. Compared to Romo he sucks. But then so does at least 2/3rds of the starting QBs in the league. For a backup he's not good for sure but nothing like many here think....relative to other backup QBs in the league. Give him a defense and he may be adequate to keep us in the hunt.

I don't disagree. its hard to find quality backups. but we just made a trade for matt cassell. why play with fire and hold on to weeden if you know how bad he is, then you start to look for trades and other options. you start to look into other avenues. cassell was obviously available and was had for a swap of 5th for 6th round picks.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Dallas Stars have a red-headed step-child named Cody Eakin. They call him the Ginger Ninja. We can call Jason Garrett the "Ginger Make Me Cringer" haha.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well I can see your a garrett fan and defender, and that is fine, some like him he can do no wrong, and some dont like him and think he does do wrong.
It is just opinions, he is and will be dallas HC for good while, I know he isnt going anywhere no matter what any of us think.

I think, could be wrong but when brady was out cassell led the patriots to the playoffs.
When rodgers was out in 2013 and 2014 they had a good backup that could win some games.
The star QB is important, and a team cannot be as good without him, but they also should still be able to play decent and win a few games
without him.
I agree Dallas is without 2 star players, and now dunbar, they dont have murray but that is no big deal since many say he was just a bum anyway.

The problem is who they had as backups, and why they are so poorly coached up, and why the coaches cant be more innovative and
change some things to get the most out of who they have!
They need to be bolder, more innovative and smarter as coaches when their stars are out.
Instead dallas coaches , JG included just got less bold, less smart, and no innovation, and more conservative.
That is why fans are grumbling about the coaching.

I am not a garrett supporter or fan. I am a cowboys supporter and fan. I don't agree with agenda driven bullshiet that some childish garrett haters put out. I have in the past criticized him, the cowboys and jerry jones when mistakes are made.

cassell didn't take them to playoffs. they actually missed the playoffs that year.
GB had a good back up... and so Flynn and Cassell went on to get big contracts and start for other teams. that's the key.

you can only coach a player up so much. but they are what they are. what I criticize the team and coaches for, is their evaluation of weeden. obviously he is limited. he was limited in Cleveland as well. should they have looked at other avenues? other options. cassell was essentially had for a swap of 5th for 6th round pick from the Vikings. why not make that trade and cut ties with weeden?

now, should we be bolder, more innovative? I think it takes talent to do that. when your talent is limited and makes dumb mistakes then you can only do so much. Randle was told not to stick the ball out...yet he goes out and does it. weenden needs to STEP UP in the pocket, not step back, but he doesn't. street need to know the field and not step out of bounce on a 3rd down play, yet he does.

I don't care who you are. even billicheck. it takes talent to win in this league and scheme doesn't matter as much. chip Kelly is the supposed coaching genius and innovative but he doesn't have the talent on his team and they are struggling. billicheck defenses were average when he didn't have the talent he needed.

now, am I saying there aren't coaches that make a difference? yes there are. but how many of them are there in the league? billichek, McCarthy? the rest get recycled for the hope they hit it with the right talent. we have seen this system this team have success with limited talent, and be really good when they had talent. right now this is a freaking mash unit with all the injuries and players that are out. we had three WRs left in the NO game. THREE. two of them were Street and Beasley (who can only play from the slot). how innovative can you get? as a DC I would double up witten, put my best CB on Williams and dare the team to beat me with Williams against my best CB or beat me with street and Beasley. it makes it simple to defend.

what I also criticize the team and coaches is the awful play of the defense. everyone is focused on garrett and the offense. the defense has been downright craappy.....we have sucked in the 4th quarter and probably the worst 4th quarter defense in the league. when you score 28 and 20 points with your top 5 QB and WR out...you expect to win those games, but the defense hasn't held up its end of the bargain.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is a fair observation to say Garrett is playing Weeden very conservatively and asking him not to make mistakes. I do wonder if they will open it up some. But if they do then I can almost promise you there will be mistakes made you aren't seeing so much now. But they may be forced to do so. Depends on how the defense plays somewhat. Also, our opponent and if we can get a lead or keep it a close game.

I felt they opened up a bit more vs NO than Alt. Given how Weeden did vs NO I would think they will continue to loosen the leash on him.

basel90

Reaction score
An offensive coach like Jason should have developed a better backup QB , better receivers , etc .
I just don't know with him . Is he just too controlled by jerry or is it his lack of drafting and player development .

Look at belicheck over the years , Brady goes down ,he has Matt cassell ready . Gronkowski down , the offense adjusts ..
Same top level coaching at Green Bay and Pittsburh .

The Dallas Cowboys are the 2nd or 3rd most valuable sports franchise , is Jason the right man ?

With Jason I don't see one strong positive so far other than he is a stand up guy and seems to be very well liked by his players .
I really thought he would do better , but I don't see his presence in the huddle , his insight . Not sure what is happening with him . If this team implodes it will be on him .,

basel90

Reaction score
I think they went 7-7-1 under Flynn until Rogers was back

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
An offensive coach like Jason should have developed a better backup QB , better receivers , etc .
I just don't know with him . Is he just too controlled by jerry or is it his lack of drafting and player development .

Look at belicheck over the years , Brady goes down ,he has Matt cassell ready . Gronkowski down , the offense adjusts ..
Same top level coaching at Green Bay and Pittsburh .

The Dallas Cowboys are the 2nd or 3rd most valuable sports franchise , is Jason the right man ?

With Jason I don't see one strong positive so far other than he is a stand up guy and seems to be very well liked by his players .
I really thought he would do better , but I don't see his presence in the huddle , his insight . Not sure what is happening with him . If this team implodes it will be on him .,

the coach is ultimately responsible, but he doesn't do I all by himself. he assembles a staff to carry out the vision.

why didn't he develop a better back up QB? again. you can only develop so far as the players talent. multiple coaches had a crack at tim tebow....why didn' they develop him and make him better?

so the question is are we as talented as we think we are? fans of the team will over rate the talent they have. coaches, multiple coaches worked with randle to not stick the ball out. yet he did. Cut him? draft better players. we have done well with some, not as much with others.

last year we had lots of success with the right talent. this year we were missing 6 key starters in the last two games. the first two games we showed what we are capble of.

so we can also see Pittsburgh over the next few weeks and how they do with Vick. is Tomlin the right man to run such a stoid franchise. why didn't they have a goo back up.

you can't predict injuries. and you can not have depth across every position. we seem to have gotten hit hard, early in the season.

btw, where is th defensive culpability in all of this...you said Jason the offensive coach. the offene scored 28 and 20 points...yet the defense was shredded in both games, specially in the 4th quarter....

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think they went 7-7-1 under Flynn until Rogers was back

he went to seattle I think and fizzled out. he was a good back up, nice bus driver with support and talent around him. weeden isn't a bus driver and right now the talent around him lacks...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Stars have a red-headed step-child named Cody Eakin. They call him the Ginger Ninja. We can call Jason Garrett the "Ginger Make Me Cringer" haha.

Quoting this just so I can document that you actually made it for down the road when I mock you mercilessly for it. To recap: you just said we ought to call Jason Garrett the 'Ginger Make Me Cringer.'

Unnngggh. That's so bad it makes my jaw hurt and my eyes water a little bit. The 'haha' at the end, I think, is what makes this for me. Thanks for sharing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Quoting this just so I can document that you actually made it for down the road when I mock you mercilessly for it. To recap: you just said we ought to call Jason Garrett the 'Ginger Make Me Cringer.'

Unnngggh. That's so bad it makes my jaw hurt and my eyes water a little bit. The 'haha' at the end, I think, is what makes this for me. Thanks for sharing.

I actually don't hate Garrett. For a long time I didn't think he was the right coach, but I think he has finally started to mature into the position. All coaches make mistakes and he continues to make them, but I'm not actually down on him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually don't hate Garrett. For a long time I didn't think he was the right coach, but I think he has finally started to mature into the position. All coaches make mistakes and he continues to make them, but I'm not actually down on him.

I was purely commenting on how bad the joke was, not on any pro/anti Garrett stance.

You might say, it made me cringer.