The many Romo offers have started coming in ****MERGED ***

Cowboy89

Reaction score
If Washington may lose Cousins anyway, doesn't that take away their negotiating power for a potential trade?

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
It would have to be a Walker type trade because if Romo could stay healthy he would torch our defense next season unless we find a pass rush and we would have a tough time getting past the Commanders in 2017. Romo could put them over the top if he could stay on the field and they can keep their receiving corp together. The LAST thing Jerry wants to do is to trade Romo to a division rival and have it bite him in the ***. Trading Romo to Washington could end up being the worst move Jerry ever made if it led to us sitting home next season and Washington ending up in the SB. When you look at the possible ramifications of making a move like, it's going to take the farm for Jerry to pull the trigger on that trade.

Not the farm, frankly if the Commanders were the only team offering a 1st for Romo then you make the move. I know no one wants to see Romo on the Commanders but if they're offering the most for a QB that maybe has 2 years left you take it. Even if he plays well its not like we see him dominant for 10 years. Is it possible the Commanders win the division with Romo? Sure, but if the move helps strengthen the Cowboys d for years to come I would make the move.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Not the farm, frankly if the Commanders were the only team offering a 1st for Romo then you make the move. I know no one wants to see Romo on the Commanders but if they're offering the most for a QB that maybe has 2 years left you take it. Even if he plays well its not like we see him dominant for 10 years. Is it possible the Commanders win the division with Romo? Sure, but if the move helps strengthen the Cowboys d for years to come I would make the move.
I wouldn't be completely against it, if they were the only ones offering a 1st. It could be argued that it would almost a double win. If the Commanders traded for Romo, that means they likely don't have cousins. So instead of maybe a decade of Cousins, they have one or two years of Romo, and lost a 1st round pick.

I doubt Tony goes there, though.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Romo ( 37 as of 17 opener)
2014: 3,709/34/9. Romo 2015: 884/5/7. Missed 28 of last 32 games. Injury risk: High

Cousins ( 29 as of 17 opener)
2015: 4,166/29/11. 16: 4,917/25/12.
Started last 32 games. Injury risk: Low.

On the surface looking purely at stats, Romo is an upgrade over Cousins. Unfortunately injuries & age can't be discounted.

I'll admit " Just as good" was a bit of a stretch statement.

Romo did not miss 28 games from injury.

Verdict

Reaction score
Romo to the Texans makes the most sense. They have zero chance to reach the Super Bowl without him and become the favorite with Romo. How difficult is that to wrap ones mind around.

The Patriots are almost a lock to reach the super bowl again unless Romo goes to one of those teams. Teams like the Jets will drive the price up on those two. I really see Houston as the most likely landing spot for Romo because they have more assets to give up and will be more willing to give it up to get there because they have never had a super bowl win as the Texans and that justifies whatever risk they give up. The fans will be behind this risk 100 percent.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hey, remember when people said no one would have any interest in an old, broken down QB?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I remember so many saying we would release Romo for nothing. I really see no way in hell that happens.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Jets are cleaning house of older vets and preparing for a full rebuild.
I'd say they are completely out the question for Romo.

Would love too Tony in Houston! Good for him and out of the NFC

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Hey, remember when people said no one would have any interest in an old, broken down QB?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Who ever said there would be no interest in Romo? I don't think I've ever read or heard anyone say that. The question, which still remains, is will someone actually trade for him.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
what are the offers as the headline suggests? I am nit reading through 15 pages

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Who ever said there would be no interest in Romo? I don't think I've ever read or heard anyone say that. The question, which still remains, is will someone actually trade for him.
It was repeated here non-stop.........teams would only be interested if he was waived........we would get a 5th rounder at best

Verdict

Reaction score
The Commanders have shown the willingness to go after an aging QB when they gave up a 2nd round pick for McNabb in 2010. At that time Washington was desperate for a QB and Philly was willing to take the chance of making that trade within the division because of the compensation and McNabb's skills had declined. I just can't see a move like this happening, because Washington doesn't have a bad QB situation and Romo isn't a long-term answer. Cousins is a productive QB passing for almost 5000 yards in 2016 and is only a step or two away from being one of the better QBs in the league. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

Romo will cost a little more than half of what Cousins will make this year. He would also be cheaper next year.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It was repeated here non-stop.........teams would only be interested if he was waived........we would get a 5th rounder at best
That isn't teams not having interest, though. Wanting to sign him if he's cut is still having interest. As I mentioned, the question still remains if a team will actually trade for him.

Again, I've yet to see a single post saying no team would be interested in him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

They won't offer a #1 for Romo he's too old and carries too high of an injury risk. It's obvious they're not totally sold on Cousins and aren't ready to commit long-term. Romo at $14M next season would be a lot cheaper than Cousins at $24M on the franchise tag but Romo may only have a year or two left with the huge injury risk he carries. They lose him and their QB situation is as bad as ever. Every season is precious and even if Romo lasted only one year, if it's enough to put Washington past us and in the SB that would leave Jerry in a very embarrassing situation having to answer to it. If Romo were to outplay Dak in the head to head meetings, the Romo FANS in Dallas would be in an UPROAR and Jerry would be persecuted for making that trade.

There's a potential for disaster for both teams if they make that trade. Romo could end up on his back in a couple of games leaving the Commanders without a QB or he could stay healthy and lead the Commanders past us and onto the SB. Trading Romo to Washington GREATLY increases the odds that moving on from him ends up blowing up in our face, especially in Jerry's face. Washington is picking at #17, I don't believe that draft position is worth having to play against Romo twice a year for the next 2-3 years if he can stay healthy. It would have to involve multiple picks, including a #1 pick and I don't see Washington doing that.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I wouldn't be completely against it, if they were the only ones offering a 1st. It could be argued that it would almost a double win. If the Commanders traded for Romo, that means they likely don't have cousins. So instead of maybe a decade of Cousins, they have one or two years of Romo, and lost a 1st round pick.

I doubt Tony goes there, though.

I feel the same way. At this point I don't know how much better Romo is than Cousins when factoring in a shorter window and injuries. If the Commanders want to send us premium picks for Romo, as hard as it is to see Romo with the Commanders you have to do what's in the best interest of the franchise.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
They won't offer a #1 for Romo he's too old and carries too high of an injury risk. It's obvious they're not totally sold on Cousins and aren't ready to commit long-term. Romo at $14M next season would be a lot cheaper than Cousins at $24M on the franchise tag but Romo may only have a year or two left with the huge injury risk he carries. They lose him and their QB situation is as bad as ever. Every season is precious and even if Romo lasted only one year, if it's enough to put Washington past us and in the SB that would leave Jerry in a very embarrassing situation having to answer to it. If Romo were to outplay Dak in the head to head meetings, the Romo FANS in Dallas would be in an UPROAR and Jerry would be persecuted for making that trade.

There's a potential for disaster for both teams if they make that trade. Romo could end up on his back in a couple of games leaving the Commanders without a QB or he could stay healthy and lead the Commanders past us and onto the SB. Trading Romo to Washington GREATLY increases the odds that moving on from him ends up blowing up in our face, especially in Jerry's face. Washington is picking at #17, I don't believe that draft position is worth having to play against Romo twice a year for the next 2-3 years if he can stay healthy. It would have to involve multiple picks, including a #1 pick and I don't see Washington doing that.
Would you rather play Romo (who would be in a new offense) for maybe 1-2 years and get a 1st round pick for him, or play Cousins, who is at least a good to very good QB, for maybe a decade? Personally, I would consider the former.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo will cost a little more than half of what Cousins will make this year. He would also be cheaper next year.

Yeah, I just pointed out Romo would cost $14M compared to $24M for Cousins but the compensation would be costly for an aging, injury prone QB that may only play a few games for them.

Verdict

Reaction score
It is hilarious how some of you don't think he is worth anything and want to release him for nothing but don't want to face him twice a year. If you are afraid to face him you don't trade him unless you rape the team that gets him. You don't give a player like that away for nothing

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would you rather play Romo (who would be in a new offense) for maybe 1-2 years and get a 1st round pick for him, or play Cousins, who is at least a good to very good QB, for maybe a decade? Personally, I would consider the former.

That's the dilemma. If Romo were to last 2 years, moving the Commanders past us those 2 seasons and one of those seasons leads to a championship for them, then it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. We can beat Cousins, we did it twice last season and personally I don't think his ceiling is much higher than what we've seen. The Commanders don't feel good enough about him to lock him up long-term which has led to this trade rumor.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah, I just pointed out Romo would cost $14M compared to $24M for Cousins but the compensation would be costly for an aging, injury prone QB that may only play a few games for them.
and 36m next year...... Cousins has 0 reasons to sign with WAS.... they are over a barrel

If they could get #2 for Cousins from SF and then give their #17 to us for Romo we all win

Romo for 3/54m is better than Cousins for 2/60m