The many Romo offers have started coming in ****MERGED ***

AzorAhai

Reaction score

I guess this is a benefit of Jerry always shooting from the hip. Teams may feel they have to trade if they want him because Jerry is crazy enough to actually do this.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Who ever said there would be no interest in Romo? I don't think I've ever read or heard anyone say that. The question, which still remains, is will someone actually trade for him.

It seemed pretty split. A lot of people said an "old battered QB" wouldn't get any attention.

A lot of people also said we'll probably get something.

Just funny to me

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
and 36m next year...... Cousins has 0 reasons to sign with WAS.... they are over a barrel

If they could get #2 for Cousins from SF and then give their #17 to us for Romo we all win

Romo for 3/54m is better than Cousins for 2/60m

Washington only wins in the deal if Romo lasts at least 2 seasons and they reach the SB at least once. In 2010 Washington traded a #2 to Philly for McNabb who only lasted one season in Washington. The Commanders went 6-10 with McNabb and that trade blew up in their face. Romo is an even bigger risk than McNabb having only played 2 full games since the 2014 season due to injuries.

He doesn't have as good a resume as McNabb who played in 3 NFC title games and a SB. After next season Washington could be desperate for another QB if Romo goes down with another significant injury. Only Cleveland has made worse mistakes at QB than Washington has the past few seasons. The only real winner would be SF because Cousins would be an upgrade over what they have.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Washington only wins in the deal if Romo lasts at least 2 seasons and they reach the SB at least once. In 2010 Washington traded a #2 to Philly for McNabb who only lasted one season in Washington. The Commanders went 6-10 with McNabb and that trade blew up in their face. Romo is an even bigger risk than McNabb having only played 2 full games since the 2014 season due to injuries.

He doesn't have as good a resume as McNabb who played in 3 NFC title games and a SB. After next season Washington could be desperate for another QB if Romo goes down with another significant injury. Only Cleveland has made worse mistakes at QB than Washington has the past few seasons. The only real winner would be SF because Cousins would be an upgrade over what they have.
They are getting the #2 overall pick in the deal.....10m in cap relief ......3 years of control ...#winning

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They are getting the #2 overall pick in the deal.....10m in cap relief ......3 years of control ...#winning

That pick won't do them much good if Romo goes down with another significant injury and has to retire after one season, leaving Washington without a QB. They'll get 2 years out of Romo at best and they likely won't be full seasons. There isn't a QB worth taking at #2 overall in this draft and if you're left without a QB you can't win. If Cousins were to go off and flourish in SF, while the Commanders are stuck without a QB they'll live to regret the decision to trade Cousins more than the decision to trade the farm for RG3 a few years ago.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I guess this is a benefit of Jerry always shooting from the hip. Teams may feel they have to trade if they want him because Jerry is crazy enough to actually do this.

It's just Jerry trying to stimulate a solid trade offer.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
what are the offers as the headline suggests? I am nit reading through 15 pages

That's to bad,the angles and avenues presented are interesting and if you were of the judgmental type, you'd get a better feel of your fellow members speculations.

Verdict

Reaction score
Who ever said there would be no interest in Romo? I don't think I've ever read or heard anyone say that. The question, which still remains, is will someone actually trade for him.

No offense but if you haven't read the numerous posts saying that we would release him for zero compensation then you have missed most of the story.

Verdict

Reaction score
They won't offer a #1 for Romo he's too old and carries too high of an injury risk. It's obvious they're not totally sold on Cousins and aren't ready to commit long-term. Romo at $14M next season would be a lot cheaper than Cousins at $24M on the franchise tag but Romo may only have a year or two left with the huge injury risk he carries. They lose him and their QB situation is as bad as ever. Every season is precious and even if Romo lasted only one year, if it's enough to put Washington past us and in the SB that would leave Jerry in a very embarrassing situation having to answer to it. If Romo were to outplay Dak in the head to head meetings, the Romo FANS in Dallas would be in an UPROAR and Jerry would be persecuted for making that trade.

There's a potential for disaster for both teams if they make that trade. Romo could end up on his back in a couple of games leaving the Commanders without a QB or he could stay healthy and lead the Commanders past us and onto the SB. Trading Romo to Washington GREATLY increases the odds that moving on from him ends up blowing up in our face, especially in Jerry's face. Washington is picking at #17, I don't believe that draft position is worth having to play against Romo twice a year for the next 2-3 years if he can stay healthy. It would have to involve multiple picks, including a #1 pick and I don't see Washington doing that.

They may not be totally enamored paying Cousins $100 million. He is a lesser QB than Romo for sure.

gmoney112

Reaction score

So what do we get? I'm guessing we get Commanders pick in the first, they get Romo, SF gives up #2 to Washington and gets Cousins?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They may not be totally enamored paying Cousins $100 million. He is a lesser QB than Romo for sure.

I'm sure they're not which is why they're franchising him. He's lesser than Romo but is much younger, healthy and likely still hasn't reached his ceiling. After the disastrous trade for McNabb in 2010 don't know why they would even entertain this move.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm sure they're not which is why they're franchising him. He's lesser than Romo but is much younger, healthy and likely still hasn't reached his ceiling.

Washington obviously doesn't like Cousins for whatever reason. They're franchising him just to get compensation in a trade.

I think they're looking for a new QB pretty hard, and Romo is thought to be the bridge. If they're in talks with SF, then the #2 pick is obviously going to be a QB and Romo wil lead the way for a year or two.

They'd be making out like bandits in that trade though. And the most important part, I'm pretty sure Tony doesn't want to go to Washington.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Jerry and Dan Snyder are pretty good friends/associates. I don't think it's as far fetched as some do.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
I really believe that if the Cowboys don't get a first round pick back for Romo they will have misplayed their hand.

OldCoach

Reaction score

At the end of the day if we cut him he could sign wherever he wants. So you have to decide if you want anything for him or not. I do the deal with Washington and San Francisco if we get a second or first rounder.

I'm guessing some folk on here would cut him before they traded him to Washington. Then ole Romo might decide he wants to play Dallas twice a year and sign with the Commanders anyways.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So what do we get? I'm guessing we get Commanders pick in the first, they get Romo, SF gives up #2 to Washington and gets Cousins?
Exactly......the Skins give us #17 and they take Trubisky or Kizer

Getting Romo and Trubisky for Cousins and 17 is pretty good in my book...it solves their short term and long term needs

gmoney112

Reaction score
Exactly......the Skins give us #17 and they take Trubisky or Kizer

Getting Romo and Trubisky for Cousins and 17 is pretty good in my book...it solves their short term and long term needs

Yeah I think it's pretty fair all around actually, if SF wants to do that. Or they could just take the guy at 2

I just don't think Tony wants to go to the Commanders and he'll have the final say imo.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If we got Romo for the #2 pick, I'll go ahead and drive down to Vegas to put $1k on us next year.