The many Romo offers have started coming in ****MERGED ***

Sydla

Reaction score
MINN had a brand new stadium to open.......... they had no choice and the 15th pick in the 2017 Draft was not an answer...... fans put way too much value on Draft picks, especially around here

This hurts your argument, it doesn't help it. It just shows the ridiculous level of desperation the Vikings had.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
There's been conflicting reports as to Denver's interest in Romo. Haven't heard Elway come right out and say he's interested.
And why would he say it publicly ? You think it's coincidence he was with Romo at a party, and went straight to garret at the combine?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He can and will and will be one of the best QB's in the nfl as usual.

If he's in the right situation and can stay healthy he can be one of the best in the NFL but his ability to stay heathy is a huge question mark.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Nothing trumps desperation. And if you think that team are as desperate today as one would be days before a season started, than there is nothing to discuss here.

The Bradford comparison is a useless comparison. Plus, the reality is that most people looked at the Vikings like they had a screw loose anyway when they made the deal. Just because Bradford netted what he did does not mean that's the new rule in the NFL and that every starting QB traded has to equal or exceed that value in a trade.

All I am saying is if people are expecting to net the same or more in a trade for Romo in the next week or month leading up to the draft, then people have an unrealistic view of his value.
Skill trumps desperation
And I am saying it isn't based on the Bradford deal...... the factors are completely different and Romo is still worth a 1st rounder at least.............if it is a pick next year then it is multiple picks

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And why would he say it publicly ? You think it's coincidence he was with Romo at a party, and went straight to garret at the combine?

He's been asked about Romo a lot, it's not like he's bringing it up. It could be a coincidence he was with Romo at a party and went straight to Garrett at the combine. Not saying Elway isn't looking into it but I haven't heard him come right out and say he's interested. He's said he has 2 young QBs he likes.

Sydla

Reaction score
Skill trumps desperation
And I am saying it isn't based on the Bradford deal...... the factors are completely different and Romo is still worth a 1st rounder at least.............if it is a pick next year then it is multiple picks

If only that were true. But it's not.

I think the best we will get for Romo is a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year and then a conditional pick next year, likely as high as another 2nd rounder.

And I would gladly take that.

LittleD

Reaction score
Relax guys... Jerry has to finish reading the "tea leaves" with Tony and this whole episode could be
handled in a matter of hours. All will be revealed in a week or two so be patient and let FA begin...
Not that we will be making any waves during the 1st 10 days.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This hurts your argument, it doesn't help it. It just shows the ridiculous level of desperation the Vikings had.

Given the lack of talent on the FA market particularly with Garoppolo off the table combined with no top 15 overall QB prospects in the draft, I think you underestimate the potential for desperation for a QB in the NFL.

I expect Glennon is going to sign for big money and teams without QBs are going to start bidding in earnest. Else they are going to be starting McKown or Kaepernick next year and turn out like the Browns.

QB talent is as scarce as ever.

Sydla

Reaction score
Given the lack of talent on the FA market particularly with Garoppolo off the table combined with no top 15 overall QB prospects in the draft, I think you underestimate the potential for desperation for a QB in the NFL.

I expect Glennon is going to sign for big money and teams without QBs are going to start bidding in earnest. Else they are going to be starting McKown or Kaepernick next year and turn out like the Browns.

QB talent is as scarce as ever.

Sure, if we hold Romo and hope a team gets desperate in fall camp when they lose their starting QB to an injury.

But you aren't getting a windfall return for him right now. I suspect some teams will sooner wait to see if we cut him first than offer up some ridiculous package for him.

Verdict

Reaction score
No. In fact the Bradford deal has nothing at all to do with any potential Romo deal. The Vikings were desperate. Some team may want Romo but they won't be desperate like the Vikings were. Health, age and salary all favor Bradford also.

You don't think that Denver and Houston are in the same situation as Minnesota was last year when they acquired Bradford? Houston and Denver arguably have better defenses than Minnesota and neither have a QB that can get them anywhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't think that Denver and Houston are in the same situation as Minnesota was last year when they acquired Bradford? Houston and Denver arguably have better defenses than Minnesota and neither have a QB that can get them anywhere.

No, they aren't. Again, the Vikings were literally DAYS from the season starting (Bridgewater was hurt on August 30th). That increases the level of desperation well above what any team is feeling right now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Are you serious? Neither team is remotely close to being in the same situation as Minn last season. Minn lost Bridgwater 2 weeks before the start of the regular season and was desperate. There was talk then that his injury could be career threatening and there's talk Bridgewater may miss the 2017 season. The move for Bradford is looking like a smart move now. Denver won 9 games last season with their 2 young QBs who Denver likes and Houston still made the playoffs despite Osweiler's struggles.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sure, if we hold Romo and hope a team gets desperate in fall camp when they lose their starting QB to an injury.

But you aren't getting a windfall return for him right now. I suspect some teams will sooner wait to see if we cut him first than offer up some ridiculous package for him.

There are teams that don't have a QB right now.

Half the teams finished with a rating under 90. 10 teams averaged over an interception a game. 12 teams had 20 or less passing TDs. 9 teams completed less than 55% of their passes.

Going into the offseason there are around 10 teams desperate for a QB. There are not 10 solutions. It's Glennon or bust. There is no Wentz or Goff or even a Lynch in this draft.

We can also afford to wait. Romo's contract doesn't guarantee until late August.

Sydla

Reaction score

Half the teams finished with a rating under 90. 10 teams averaged over an interception a game. 12 teams had 20 or less passing TDs. 9 teams completed less than 55% of their passes.

Going into the offseason there are around 10 teams desperate for a QB. There are not 10 solutions. It's Glennon or bust. There is no Wentz or Goff or even a Lynch in this draft.

We can also afford to wait. Romo's contract doesn't guarantee until late August.

I have no issue with holding onto Romo for a bit.

But this notion that he's going to net a windfall is likely pie in the sky thinking. I see one scenario where he nets a first round pick or more........... some team loses their QB to an injury. If the Cowboys move him prior to the draft, you are not getting a #1 for him IMO.

But let's hope you are right.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have no issue with holding onto Romo for a bit.

But this notion that he's going to net a windfall is likely pie in the sky thinking. I see one scenario where he nets a first round pick or more........... some team loses their QB to an injury. If the Cowboys move him prior to the draft, you are not getting a #1 for him.

I have no idea how much of an offer they will get but I suspect that at least half a dozen teams will bid. The lack of help in the draft helps this process speed up.

You have no better idea that the rest of us in a position of ignorance as to what we can or cannot get. Discounting the high end of possible outcomes out of hand is unfounded. We could get a high pick if there is a bidding war.

There are too many moving parts to say what can or cannot happen.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Vikes overpaid and were in a uniquely desperate situation, for sure. They also got a lesser player.

That said, NFL QB supply and demand has not changed all that much. There aren't QBs available in the draft who represent a solution for a contender in need of strong QB play out of the gate. There are a few options in VFA teams will look at, but none of them are really of Tony's caliber. If you're a contender-if-but-for-a-QB, you're looking at how you can sign Tony Romo. Now, that might only be 2-3 teams right now, but I'd say there urgency is pretty high because the market is so scarce. If they want him, they need to give up something to get him. Unless they're really all content to wait it out and bid for him on the open market. That's just dumb, though, when you know Dallas isn't going to be asking for all that much in return because we want him to go to a good home.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Yeah. There may be 10 teams that could use a starting QB. Not sure how many of those would be interested in Romo specifically. But even if it were 4-5 of them, they would also have to know Romo would want play there before making an offer. Useless otherwise. Agreed?

Sydla

Reaction score
I would argue that Houston and Denver are more desperate than Minnesota.

Not really, at least at this point. That could change down the road if the Cowboys are willing to hold onto Romo for a bit.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah. There may be 10 teams that could use a starting QB. Not sure how many of those would be interested in Romo specifically. But even if it were 4-5 of them, they would also have to know Romo would want play there before making an offer. Useless otherwise. Agreed?

I have no idea but if Buffalo offers us a lucrative package of picks you don't say no because Romo anything.