The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I don't care about the interceptions or the results. I just watch him play.

He's wildly inaccurate and he's a one- read guy. He's actually much like Dak, only worse. However, he can run like the wind for sure.

Guys don't figure out football in the NFL. The good ones come in with a basic understanding of the passing game, and they learn to do it faster and at a greater understanding that this level requires.

To put that in context, Romo came until the league at about a 5 in that regard on a scale of 1-10. Burrow or Mahomes were about an 8. Dak was a 2, and Lance was at 0.

It's too long of a leap.
Did you watch him play? He did a good job of working through his progressions yesterday when time permitted. Mistakes happen when he rushed

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The final play was far too indicative. He had a guy wide open for the easiest of throws to win the game, and he absolutely air-mailed a duck.

He choked badly. And in my experience, regardless of your field, that can't generally be fixed.

The kid needed at least two more years of college at a much bigger school.
Seems like an exception not the rule. Most of his passes have been a little high or off target on the ones that are short and require touch. He made the right read, but it just happened to leave his hands wrong as a floater/duck for some reason. If anything, I would’ve expected it to be a bullet too high.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
you're trying to tell me they can't get lance back here under a cheap contract? you can get guys to sign cheaper deals when they know they cant demand more.. good thing you're not a GM who cares .... not i see some potential in this guy has a strong arm, can run avoid pressure, , and i saw enough throws to see hes improving , yes made soem mistakes with the INTs but at this point hes good 3..sorry but im not changig my mind off your eval.

do you think the league is full of these superstars that the third quarterback. LMAO no that perfect spot fopr a developmental guy if team gets hit hard with injury and needs the 3rd , umm who cares who that is that when you can see the third get live snaps with the 1st team..a true eval...
in my opinion he's better than Greer, DeNucci ,or white a lot more upside than rush BUT NOT READY YET..

took Geno along time to become a starter and not great but manageable.
Again, I do not want a project on a second contract that needs time and reps and maybe, just maybe develops into a quality backup.. He's an athlete learning how to pass and still lacks fundamental knowledge and skills necessary for the position, that's fine on a rookie deal, but not on a 2nd contract. He has some physical abilities, but needs too much work and those resources are better spent on a younger, cheaper QB with better fundamentals. I also aspire to more than Geno Smith ability for our next QB.

erod

Reaction score
Seems like an exception not the rule. Most of his passes have been a little high or off target on the ones that require touch. He made the right read, but it just happened to leave his hands wrong as a floater/duck for some reason. If anything, I would’ve expected it to be a bullet too high.
That was the first read. He didn't make a read. He throws a TON of ducks.

erod

Reaction score
Did you watch him play? He did a good job of working through his progressions yesterday when time permitted. Mistakes happen when he rushed
His progressions are dumpoffs. Those aren't progressions.

There are multiple plays each game when receivers are running wide open downfield. He doesn't see them.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeah they may not care that much lol. I’ll never forget when Romo after a big loss said if this is the worst thing that will happen to me I’m doing alright. So yeah on second thought you might be right. Losing don’t hurt as much when you winning at life.
I agree with him on that. Losing a loved one or similar things are bigger than football. I guess I was talking more about how a player feels right after a loss. .....I wouldn't expect any of them to reach a state of depression, lol

I can imagine that the Eagles and Niners would be affected more with both losing very close super bowls......at least Dak will never that awful experience here so that's something not to worry about.

erod

Reaction score
Romo never won anything that mattered so it would have been better off had Parcells cut him. We wouldn't then have wasted so many years "hanging around the rim" just like we are doing right now.
Romo was brilliant here. He just had to play amidst a circus wasteland.

johneric8

Reaction score
Romo never won anything that mattered so it would have been better off had Parcells cut him. We wouldn't then have wasted so many years "hanging around the rim" just like we are doing right now.
Yes, many of us also witnessed Romo throwing 4 or 5 interceptions after he was a starter in the league for 6 or 7 years! So, we need to freaking chill on judging him too harshly. Lance actually made some amazing plays as well and a couple of throws Dak couldn't even make... Quit nut rolling DCF! Some of those interceptions weren't his fault but many were, this is what pre season is for.. Lance is also playing with scrubs, so give the kid a pass because he actually looked damn good at times.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
That was the first read. He didn't make a read. He throws a TON of ducks.
That makes no sense. The first read can be the right read.

And no, he doesn’t throw a ton of floaters/ducks. He throws a lot of balls high, and that’s because most of his passes got a bit too much speed on them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Again, I do not want a project on a second contract that needs time and reps and maybe, just maybe develops into a quality backup.. He's an athlete learning how to pass and still lacks fundamental knowledge and skills necessary for the position, that's fine on a rookie deal, but not on a 2nd contract. He has some physical abilities, but needs too much work and those resources are better spent on a younger, cheaper QB with better fundamentals. I also aspire to more than Geno Smith ability for our next QB.
And again, I'm not listening to anything you have to say.... They're very important role players in this league including backup quarterback. Some will nver be starter but offer a nice bridge and they can find them in guys like Lance. Move your ego over, this happens i mean lots of ST aces and players hardly take snap on O or D but they are still important on 53 man roster. roster ar not all about stars lmao.. bigger pictures, widen your perspective past the expectation that lance needs to suit your needs as possible starter, its why players like Brissett, geno smith, Minishew, josh johnson, but more so like DeNucci, white, ellinger,sam darnold, sam howell, david mills, eason stick, drew lock, and so many i can't take the time nor need to, to show you why they are on other teams' rosters.

they stay in the league a lot longer than you think they should. look at all the B/U qbs now look at all the 3s on all 32 it has player like Lance littered all over it in hopes 1-2 might turn the corner and be something.

Almost all teams carry a third emergency quarterback and you don't even know their names... Most of them are developmental, most are moved on and off the roster from the practice squad on the protected list and doesn't effect the roster...they also play role in practice..

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The bold sounds like an indictment on Jerry and the thought that there isn't any accountability within the organization. Comments frequently made by the players seem to reinforce the belief as well. They don't appear to care if they win or lose, and maybe that's because the team leadership and administration doesn't demand excellence.
I don’t disagree and it’s hard to do that when you have a gm and owner who undermines his coaches. Won’t get fixed until up top changes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree with him on that. Losing a loved one or similar things are bigger than football. I guess I was talking more about how a player feels right after a loss. .....I wouldn't expect any of them to reach a state of depression, lol

I can imagine that the Eagles and Niners would be affected more with both losing very close super bowls......at least Dak will never that awful experience here so that's something not to worry about.
I mean I got what he was saying. The message wasn’t entirely wrong it was just more so the timing. You just got your *** whooped and your first thought is to justify it by saying it’s it that bad lol. That’s more so my issue. Dak ain’t losing no close SB the minute he get this monkey off his back he winning a ring lol.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Chiefs backup? Are you freaking kidding me that Carson Wentz is "taking it seriously?"
Five OCs in four years. I’m guessing he can learn a new offense. He has had a career. Now being paid over $3 million simply to help out and step in if needed. He’s won more starts than he’s lost. Guys like Rush and Lance will never see the field. Their careers will never amount to anything because they’re no good. The Rams. Same. They went and signed a backup that knows what to do. Even Philly. Their QB2 has winning record as a NFL starter. He’s played more football in the last five years than Rush and Lance combined. Cowboys fans are familiar with Dobbs. He may be the 49ers QB3.

Teams serious about contending give some thought to QB depth. Teams like the Cowboys are just clowning around.

visionary

Reaction score
They did and they waited 3 years to do it. I’m just saying this was never a one year process. It seems like he can’t play to me and I’d put him on PS and if someone poached him oh well. But Cowboys knew he was bad a year ago and still traded go him. A year later shouldn’t change how thy feel.
Jerry is not putting him on the PS

visionary

Reaction score
His money is guaranteed for this season and we traded a pick, so the damage is already done. He'll be the 3rd string emergency QB and run the scout team in practice, but in no way do we bring him back next season.
Damage is not done if he is eating a roster spot

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Again, one of the best offensive minds in football, on one of the best teams in the NFL that DOES NOT NEED the QB to carry them, traded Lance away to a Conference "Rival" for a 4th Round pick just 2 years after three 1st Round Picks to get him.

I have no doubt, the 49ers are laughing at Jerry and the Cowboys.
Explain why the Niners would be laughing… since,as you yourself pointed out, Jerry sunk a 4TH into the player while the Niners sank A BOATLOAD of draft capital on same-said player.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Explain why the Niners would be laughing… since,as you yourself pointed out, Jerry sunk a 4TH into the player while the Niners sank A BOATLOAD of draft capital on same-said player.
Three first rounders for one of the best teams the league. You are right I doubt they are laughing. Then they used our pick on a running back. 24 year old running back with McCaffery on the team.