The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
silverbear;4618749 said:
I'm deeply saddened by what's happening to Paterno's reputation, but if I witness an act of child abuse, I'm not gonna rely on others to report it... I'm picking up the phone and calling the police...

Paterno should have done the same, period...

People are overlooking one huge fact. He did not witness any abuse. He had second hand knowledge of "something" and went to his superiors. Even if he had went to the local police, his statements would have been in-actionable since it was hearsay.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4618994 said:
People are overlooking one huge fact. He did not witness any abuse. He had second hand knowledge of "something" and went to his superiors. Even if he had went to the local police, his statements would have been in-actionable since it was hearsay.

Nope, not overlooking that all. This is all about him and the others involved not going to the police or child protective services. Then it becomes the job of the police and CPS to figure out what is what and make a case against Sandusky. Whether that case is dependent on Paterno's statements or not. We will never know if a case could have been made because these guys never brought in the proper authorities when they had a chance. It would have been better to try and fail than to do nothing and just hope the problem goes away.

And even if they truly thought that going to the police would not have mattered due to hearsay, they still could have taken steps to keep Sandusky away from children on the campus and facilities of Penn St. They didn't need the police to do that.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Give me a break.

If he went to the police the police would have brought McQueary in and then investigated the matter and brought Sandusky to justice. And it still does not take away from the fact that he not only refused to go to the police, but covered up the situations as well.

Stop insulting our intelligence by acting like Paterno was just a meager, feeble old man who had no more power and authority than Joe Schmoe walking down the street.

YR

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
grasping-at-straws1.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But Cajun, he most likely knew (the report says that he did) of the 1998 event. I just don't know how he couldn't of known. It appears that all the higher-ups knew of the 1998 event. And then you have the Sandusky fast-firing in 1999 with the nice retirement package. Like Parcells has said, "I don't have to be hit in the face with a skunk more than once to know that it stinks."

And then came the 2002 event.

Boy if that didn't sound the "alarms" at PSU, including Joe, then nothing would.

And nothing did.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4619007 said:
Give me a break.

If he went to the police the police would have brought McQueary in and then investigated the matter and brought Sandusky to justice. And it still does not take away from the fact that he not only refused to go to the police, but covered up the situations as well.

Stop insulting our intelligence by acting like Paterno was just a meager, feeble old man who had no more power and authority than Joe Schmoe walking down the street.

YR

Not insulting anyone's intelligence. People do that by themselves. If you are so sure they would have done what you said, why wasn't something done when they were notified in 98? Huh?So your whole argument falls flat on just the factual basis. You say they would have done this or that but the fact is they did not when already were presented with an issue.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4619015 said:
But Cajun, he most likely knew (the report says that he did) of the 1998 event. I just don't know how he couldn't of known. It appears that all the higher-ups knew of the 1998 event. And then you have the Sandusky fast-firing in 1999 with the nice retirement package. Like Parcells has said, "I don't have to be hit in the face with a skunk more than once to know that it stinks."

And then came the 2002 event.

Boy if that didn't sound the "alarms" at PSU, including Joe, then nothing would.

And nothing did.

The report draws the conclusion he did but there was no factual evidence indicating he did like with the others.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;4619020 said:
The report draws the conclusion he did but there was no factual evidence indicating he did like with the others.

That's fair enough, but given the apparent "interest" in the 1998 event by several of the higher-ups at the university and that Sandusky was perhaps Joe's #1 assistant at the time, what sort of chance do you truly think that Joe did not know of the 1998 event at all?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think that is up to the alumni and students at Penn St. Joe was with them for 61 years and in that time he also did a lot of good thing for the school and for the community. In the end it is what they choose to do

visionary

Reaction score
they absolutely should

this person was extremely culpable in irreparably ruining the lives of God knows how many innocent kids

responsibility is about power
who was more powerful than Joe Pa on the Penn State Campus?

sorry, he does not get a pass from me

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Who paid for the statue? I realize it is the property of the university now but who originally paid to have it carved, etc? Just curious.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
an excerpt from The Sporting News today:

All the way back in 1998, when Sandusky was the target of a criminal investigation, Paterno knew there were serious concerns about his top defensive coordinator. But up until his death of lung cancer in January, Paterno always maintained ignorance about the ’98 case. So he’s a liar as well as a coward. Hailed forever as the most ethical coach in football history, Paterno was really a heartless fraud.

“The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office just steps away from Mr. Paterno’s,” the report reads.

“At the very least, Mr. Paterno could have alerted the entire football staff, in order to prevent Sandusky from bringing another child into the Lasch Building. Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley also failed to alert the Board of Trustees about the 1998 investigation ... None of them even spoke to Sandusky about his conduct.

“In short, nothing was done and Sandusky was allowed to continue with impunity.”

Not once did Paterno ever poke his head into his buddy’s office and say, “Hey, Jer, maybe you should stop bringing around these guests?” That’s what they called Sandusky’s prey, his victims. Guests. The fantastic four are delusional criminals, all of them.

At a press conference in Philadelphia on Thursday morning, Freeh was asked if he believed Paterno could have stopped Sandusky’s predatory behavior. “Many, many witnesses we spoke to described Mr. Paterno as one of the most powerful leaders on campus,” responded Freeh.

“I think it’s a very strong and reasonable inference that he could have done so if he wished.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...y-scandal-coverup?eadid=EL/SICOM&xid=si_ncaaf

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4618846 said:
I perfectly understand that.

My reason for continued posting on the subject is that I don't want misleading spin control to attempt to become known as the truth to the public in any way, shape or form.

The victims are owed at least that much.

YR

The victims are the last thing on anyone's mind in this whole situation. That's the sad part. Everything i read is about going after Joe Paterno and his "legacy". As if that's the important part of this entire ordeal. Its a joke, really.

Lapse in judgement may be a better word.. but its not been proven that Joe knew that Sandusky continually molested, raped boys over all these years and i have serious doubts that if he had known the full scope of the problem he would have let it go or covered for Jerry.. as should any reasonable human being.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Joe Realist;4618970 said:
Call it ignorance if you must. It is based on personal experience, yes? Do I think it reflects every PSU alum, no. But how is what I said any dfferent than what people say here about Philly fans? Everyone lumps them together. The difference is it hit too close to home for you. I get it.

Ignorance is the only word for it my friend.. that is if you truly believe that the majority of PSU students and former students think that just because they attend that college they are somehow better people than everyone else.

If you were just referring to how they feel about the PSU football team, like i said, that's how every sports fan alive acts and behaves about their favorite team in a particular sport.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4619018 said:
Not insulting anyone's intelligence. People do that by themselves. If you are so sure they would have done what you said, why wasn't something done when they were notified in 98? Huh?So your whole argument falls flat on just the factual basis. You say they would have done this or that but the fact is they did not when already were presented with an issue.

Because Paterno was a liar and a coward who was more interested in protecting the legacy and reputation of Penn State and himself than molested children.

Furthermore, there is a *HISTORY* of Paterno keeping other ILLEGAL activities under wraps. The 2008 ESPN Outside the Lines where *46* different players were arrested in a 5 year period that was finally brought to light and Paterno's response was that it was a 'witch hunt.' The same response he initially claimed after the Grand Jury investigation. Then there's Dr. Vicky Tripony who has e-mail evidence of Paterno forcing the school to have him deal with player punishment instead of Triponey who was the school's Chief Disciplinarian.

He didn't want this being brought to light. That's why he didn't report it.

He had a PATTERN of behavior that has been established of when the rubber hits the road between doing the right thing that could hurt his football program, he chose to find a way to protect the football program.

Keep spinning away.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4619113 said:
The victims are the last thing on anyone's mind in this whole situation. That's the sad part. Everything i read is about going after Joe Paterno and his "legacy". As if that's the important part of this entire ordeal. Its a joke, really.

Lapse in judgement may be a better word.. but its not been proven that Joe knew that Sandusky continually molested, raped boys over all these years and i have serious doubts that if he had known the full scope of the problem he would have let it go or covered for Jerry.. as should any reasonable human being.

..and actually, YR, i will say, whether you want to say lapse in judgment, it was still simply a mistake. Joe didn't cover every single episode of Sandusky's abuse.. he knew of one that he was told of by MqQueary, who came to him like a buffoon saying, "He uh, did something, molestation? I don't know the word for it, but uh, yea." He made a mistake in how he handled that situation. The situation in 98? You mean when police and state officials investigated the reported incident and found no need to file any charges against Sandusky? Yea, i believe he knew of that as well, but nothing was done by the law, so there's reason to believe Sandusky did nothing wrong there. The law and local and state police and government all failed in that case.

Other than those two, Paterno didn't know of any of the other incidents, as none of us did until recently. So to say he covered for him as if he was intentionally allowing and aiding Sandusky in the raping of little boys is a joke. He made a mistake, that's fair, he messed up, he knows it.. but people want to take it further, and that's exactly what my last post was about.

In all of this, i don't hear a word about the victims, they are the last thing on anyones mind in this whole ordeal. People would rather join the mob and be quick to condemn and judge, as is our society.

BTW.. the man who was in charge of the entire report that slammed all these PSU officials.. also would call it a "mistake."

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4619113 said:
.. but its not been proven that Joe knew that Sandusky continually molested, raped boys over all these years and i have serious doubts that if he had known the full scope of the problem he would have let it go or covered for Jerry.. as should any reasonable human being.
Two things...

1. There is no proof of either way, whether or not he knew about Sandusky's serial molesting of young boys. But I will say this though, Freeh has had lot more information and talked to more people concerning this case than all of us on this board, so for me, I tend to lean on what he has discover during his investigation.

2. Just because you have doubts about what Paterno known about Sandusky, doesn't mean others has to doubt it as well, you have your opinion and others have theirs based what we have read and heard.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
03EBZ06;4619158 said:
Two things...

1. There is no proof of either way, whether or not he knew about Sandusky's serial molesting of young boys. But I will say this though, Freeh has had lot more information and talked to more people concerning this case than all of us on this board, so for me, I tend to lean on what he has discover during his investigation.

2. Just because you have doubts about what Paterno known about Sandusky, doesn't mean others has to doubt it as well, you have your opinion and others have theirs based what we have read and heard.

I agree, there is no proof either way, and i agree Freeh had alot more information than any of us on this board. You realize he didn't say that Joe knew about all of the incidents of abuse, right? If you are leaning on what he discovered, that is.

I have my doubts that Joe knew about all of the incidents of abuse because it has never been proven that he knew of more than one. So, of course, people all can have their own opinions, and that's perfectly fine. All i said was that i have serious doubts that Joe knew off all the abuse, and any reasonable person should have those doubts as well.